Click here to return to the home page.
Image of a road.
Who's Online Now
4 registered members (JoeSpeetjens, Heinz, Stevo666, Riverstar), 126 guests, and 11 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
+8Rich 270
John V6 202
Hamwich 127
lowebird 115
Newest Topics
Top Posters
by lowebird. 08/12/19 02:46 PM
Waterlogged foglight and indicator housings
by Kevcaster. 08/12/19 01:10 PM
How to wash the storm cover
by SwissMogFan. 08/12/19 12:45 PM
Porsche future up in the air ?
by +8Rich. 07/12/19 10:07 PM
RS6 Estate anyone !
by madmax. 07/12/19 06:51 PM
New Engine at Last
by IvorMog. 07/12/19 05:26 PM
Latest Photos
Great Weather in Felixstowe
New M3W
Krazy Horse today
Mid 80`s  +8 oil cooler install
Morgan in Pembrokeshire
Newest Members
mgmog, lumpy, A-bit-of-a-geek, Gazza7, hagen111
6777 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics36,768
Posts594,762
Members6,777
Most Online723
Dec 5th, 2019
Today's Birthdays
silverbullet, Vianney Colombo
Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
Welcome Forum
09/12/19 12:40 AM
M3W - nice colour - agreed, is a bit different and not seen another like it anywhere.

Treehouse - very nice, sadly not mine but belongs to another local M3W owner....
24 1,381 Read More
The Malvern Arms
09/12/19 12:11 AM
If someone needs replacement leather bracelets, this company has very good products. It is said that they are original equipment suppliers for some watch manufacturers. I don't know 100%. I have already bought such Kaufmann replacement bracelets for my watches that looked absolutely original. and you pay much less when you buy directly and make no order via the watch brand. Your jeweller can help you choose the right bracelet.
No connections to the company, only a satisfied customer.

https://www.kaufmann.shop/en/
81 1,386 Read More
The Malvern Arms
08/12/19 11:53 PM
Cheers Bonsie. The Staib you highlight was the more expensive one I was trying to think about so that is good hear. Some of the Steveo ones are quite cool and good value thanks.
81 1,386 Read More
Vehicle Talk (non-Morgan)
08/12/19 11:51 PM
You maybe missed Shooters report on his Tesla usage in Europe, he's on his second car now and the charging of these cars just seems to need a little management very viable. He does a very high annual mileage. His financial breakdown was a glowing report compared to an ICE.
194 17,286 Read More
08/12/19 11:45 PM
Customer rang me on Friday from a hotel - having coffee while his Tesla was on charge. He uses it to travel all over Europe on business - saves loads on fuel and seems to have the range anxiety issue cracked.
194 17,286 Read More
Maintenance & Servicing
08/12/19 11:44 PM
Originally Posted by bmgermany
A fuse tester did help me in different Situation.

Only to discribe what I mean here a link fuse tester

That is a very handy little device for those without a multimeter thumbs
7 217 Read More
Maintenance & Servicing
08/12/19 11:31 PM
A fuse tester did help me in different Situation.

Only to discribe what I mean here a link fuse tester
7 217 Read More
Morgan PlusSix (CX-Generation Vehicles)
08/12/19 11:24 PM
Originally Posted by deano
Originally Posted by Gambalunga
Originally Posted by madmax

deano , why did you change your 911 4 times ?

Because it wasn't a Morgan?

I have owned a Morgan since 1980, so I think I know them inside out by now.

Just having a little tongue in cheek somestick Dean. Believe me, I do understand where you are coming from.
157 9,928 Read More
Classic Morgans
08/12/19 11:17 PM
My thanks to Hamwich for partly answering the question in the context of his car (not a Roadster as I understand it)

Please note I didn’t ask for opinions, I asked how drivers with this model coped.

I’ d be pleased to hear from those who qualify and who.can help me.
10 231 Read More
Classic Morgans
08/12/19 11:00 PM
To add a little to what Bob has written my system started as a kit with a calibration already loaded, all be it for a different exhaust system. This allowed me to start and run the car and effect the basic tuning. I then submitted logs to the technicians at Omex who made various adjustments and gave me advice when I felt competent to proceed myself. After about a year I was in Northern France with the intention of spending a couple of weeks in the UK before returning home. I took the opportunity to have some final touches made to the calibration on the rolling road at Omex.

Since then I have changed the catalyser and it was necessary to make a couple of minor adjustments. Shortly after that I changed the grid and the ignition map to an updated version. This also required more logging and some further small adjustments. I have to say that I am very happy with both the decision to install the 300 cell cat with a higher capacity and the new ignition map. The end result has been a marked improvement in midrange torque.

To give you an idea of what you see on the log graph I have a screen shot below.

[Linked Image]

From my blog at https://bradley.it/fitting-omex-throttle-bodies-to-a-morgan-plus-4/

The three graph lines give throttle opening, Ox feedback from the sonda lambda sensor, and RPM. From this you are able to see the grid points at which the map is providing either too much or too little fuel and make the appropriate adjustment to the map. Ideally one needs to try to hold constant values for a meaningful period but this is really only possible on a rolling road. Because of this one needs to evaluate if the map is always incorrect at a certain point or if it is a transient condition which the ECU using the feedback loop will correct itself. I have aimed to try to contain excursions to plus or minus 5%.

Obviously it is a lot more complex than just getting the fuel map right and as Bob pointed out the Ox feedback is not used at high revs and throttle openings so you rely on have a correct map there but the mixture is a little richer for good performance and to aid engine cooling. Too lean a mixture there could damage the engine.

There is also the need to allow for adjustments for transient conditions, cold running, cold air temperatures, acceleration, altitude, etc. At a few points on this graph you will see that the Ox FB straight lines when there is zero throttle. This was because I was using deceleration fuel cut off at that time. I have since changed strategy but that is another discussion.

I hope that helps anyone who is interested to understand some of what is involved. I certainly don't claim to be an expert and without the assistance from Omex with a good starting calibration for my car and their assistance with the initial tuning I would not have known where to start. I should also mention that they gave excellent instructions for installing the throttle body kit and the software and manuals required can be downloaded from their Web site.

PS. I should point out that, as Bob also indicated, the narrow band O2 sensor, that I often refer to as the sonda lambda sensor, can only tell you if the mixture is rich or lean, when it finds a rich mixture the ECU progressively removes fuel until it sees a lean mixture at which point it will start to progressively add fuel again. In a perfectly tuned site under constant rpm and throttle opening (load) the Ox FB will oscillate slightly above and below the perfect fuel air mix, lambda 1.
20 548 Read More
The Malvern Arms
08/12/19 10:51 PM
Originally Posted by Alistair

Any comments or guidance ?

Alistair, check out my mate Steve over at https://www.steveostraps.com/

Steve is a very good friend of mine, we used to work together. Steve does a ton of leather stuff and has loads of options for different hides etc.

The strap on watch Geko I have a similar version but I got mine from Amazon Not bad quality for the price but a bit rattly but it does have a loose mesh rather than the tight Milanese mesh. I haven't put the Amazon one and the Geko mesh together but id hazard they are from the same place !

If you want to splash out then the German Staib is unparalleled. Extremely well made and comfortable. A lot of money but worth every penny IMO Staib
81 1,386 Read More
Classic Morgans
08/12/19 09:21 PM
Hi Bob

Originally Posted by IvorMog
Play nicely boys.

I'm personally not a fan of fly by wire systems but all modern cars use them and as a generalisation they are very reliable. Even a throttle return spring can break and leave the throttle wide open on older cable operated cars.

However Chris, if it really was as dramatic as you suggest, there would have almost certainly have been fatalities or at least serious accidents and the VCA would be crawling all over Morgan to resolve the issue. I'm certainly not aware that this is the case.

I'm sure there are some rev hang issues (I'm not a Roadster owner) but I don't think unsubstantiated scare mongering helps.

If however it is as bad as you say, and you have evidenced it first hand, who have you reported it to?

In response to your query - Yes absolutely - full facts reported to DVSA, following zero interest from MCC, complete with independent witness details.

DVSA's comment on receipt of report "Unfortunately, as you are no longer the owner of the vehicle then any communications between DVSA and the manufacturer with regards to this matter, are considered non-disclosable".

I have no issue with this and have since moved on, but feel duty bound to warn of the potential risk associated with this particular car under certain road conditions.

Trust this clarifies.
10 231 Read More
The Malvern Arms
08/12/19 09:11 PM
Originally Posted by KEVFITZ
This is no objective for a grown man DaveW...

It's not an objective "Mr1,797", it's an aspiration...……..so there! somestick
11 216 Read More
Classic Morgans
08/12/19 09:11 PM
Originally Posted by Max5
The question really is why should you have to?

Because MMC lacks the resources to develop a custom engine management system that is tailored to the car characteristics, works with the dash module and immobiliser, and is fully emissions compliant in all the territories the car is sold in?
10 231 Read More
08/12/19 09:04 PM
Originally Posted by Gambalunga
Originally Posted by David Gibson

If Morgan are going for a different market then the competition is fierce. At the price of a Plus 6 I would go Porsche.

Well that's what I did when I was planning to replace my Mk3 Aero with the Mk5. I am now on my fourth 911 in four years.

Because it wasn't a Morgan?

I have owned a Morgan since 1980, so I think I know them inside out by now.
157 9,928 Read More
Classic Morgans
08/12/19 08:54 PM
The question really is why should you have to? I have owned two 3.7 Roadsters and both suffered from rev hanging to various degrees among other electronic vagaries. Through my dealer MMC offered to fix the problem on receipt of £2k on top of the £53k I had paid for a new car! I declined and got rid of both and bought a 4/4!
10 231 Read More
Classic Morgans
08/12/19 08:48 PM
Maybe I'm completely off-beam here, but as I understand it, the reason 'rev hang' occurs is because the ECU manages the revs in such a way as to ensure excess fuel is burnt rather than being chucked out the exhaust port. The fuel supply can be cut as soon as the pedal site registers 0 (ie no torque demand), but there's still a fair amount of fuel in the inlet tract that needs to be burned, hence the revs not falling as quickly as one might expect as the car transitions down to meet the target RPM/torque demand.

I find it difficult to imagine that an ECU which is registering a pedal site of zero and a current RPM which is greater than the target RPM is going to do anything other than manage the revs down as cleanly as it can. The idea that it's suddenly going to apply sufficient fuel and revs to supply a torque demand that isn't there is pretty fanciful in my view.

My car rev hangs a bit, as I suspect many cars with FBW throttles and clean-running engines do, but all I do is release the throttle marginally before depressing the clutch rather than after, and ensuring my clutch in/out movement on upchanges is as smooth and quick as possible to maintain drive. I also tend to either short-shift when I'm driving normally or hang right on to gears when I'm pressing on. In my experience rev-hang is only an issue in that intermediate stage when one is changing up at around 2500-3k rpm. If I change up at 2k or under or 5k or over I never have a problem. Admittedly 5k rpm in a 165bhp car is a bit less intimidating than 5k in a car with another 100 or more bhp on top, but hey, nobody buys a 3.7 Roadster because they want to drive like a pussycat, do they? smile
10 231 Read More
The Malvern Arms
08/12/19 08:41 PM
A question to all of the keen horologists on the thread. I am very hard on watch straps and tend to wreck them quickly. When I got the Apple Watch I got one of the Milanese metal/magnetic straps and found it excellent. It has lasted several years and still looks smart.

I need yet another new strap for one of the other watches and was wondering if you could offer any recommendations. The watch is one of the fashionable large clunky men's diver style in steel. The lugs are 24mm with a medium wrist size. I like the Apple bracelet so have been looking for larger/chunkier versions of this which I told are called Sharks Mesh. Magnetic clasps seem rare sadly so I am looking at a butterfly.

At present I was pointed towards watchgecko by a few people and have seen this as a starting point. https://www.watchgecko.com/butterfly-h-link-shark-mesh-316l-stainless-watch-strap
They have one similar to this at £160 and without playing with them I wonder about the difference.

There is a ton of £20 stuff on amazon and eBay bt I am guessing this will be thin and have horrible buckles which will spoil it.

The only other thing I was looking at was a leather NATO style but apparently the blokes on holiday laugh2 or maybe https://rios1931.com/bratislava-shell-cordovan-nato-4-polished-rings/

Any comments or guidance ?
81 1,386 Read More
08/12/19 08:30 PM
Originally Posted by David Gibson

If Morgan are going for a different market then the competition is fierce. At the price of a Plus 6 I would go Porsche.

Well that's what I did when I was planning to replace my Mk3 Aero with the Mk5. I am now on my fourth 911 in four years.

Started off cheap and enjoyed so much I got hooked and invested more .
157 9,928 Read More
Classic Morgans
08/12/19 08:26 PM
K, many thanks for the thoughtful reply... Seems we think alike given my +8 is of mid 80`s vintage and has retained more vintage aspects than the later Morgans with their more modern trim styling, all be it very nice indeed.

Hard to believe how many miles that the GoMoG web master has covered in his Morgan given it shines like a jewel. He may have pics of it on GoMoG.. Stunning.
15 512 Read More
Classic Morgans
08/12/19 08:20 PM
Play nicely boys.

I'm personally not a fan of fly by wire systems but all modern cars use them and as a generalisation they are very reliable. Even a throttle return spring can break and leave the throttle wide open on older cable operated cars.

However Chris, if it really was as dramatic as you suggest, there would have almost certainly have been fatalities or at least serious accidents and the VCA would be crawling all over Morgan to resolve the issue. I'm certainly not aware that this is the case.

I'm sure there are some rev hang issues (I'm not a Roadster owner) but I don't think unsubstantiated scare mongering helps.

If however it is as bad as you say, and you have evidenced it first hand, who have you reported it to?
10 231 Read More
08/12/19 08:04 PM
Interesting thinking on the E Type being registered as a new car...? From the reg plates on the Porsche and the Beetle in the link below it seems both are registered as pre 1972 and not as new vehicles..?
194 17,286 Read More
Classic Morgans
08/12/19 07:53 PM
ooh a new Splinter Group..

My name is Kevin and I'm an alcoholic...sorry no wrong group

I have 6 bikes ,Moulton,Brompton,Orange,Rohloff etc

2 guitars Godin Multeac, Gibson 335 1968

1 Morgan +4 Supersports

Not really a splinter group!!

More a Bunch (of carrots)
8,457 12,392,868 Read More
The Malvern Arms
08/12/19 07:42 PM
This is no objective for a grown man DaveW...

I agree.. Sometimes less is definitely more. There was a guy in our local, could talk for England and became a right pain in the backside, in the end everyone avoided him. Best to slow down Reg!
11 216 Read More
Classic Morgans
08/12/19 07:40 PM
Originally Posted by Kevcaster
I also discovered the front indicator to be somewhat waterlogged but still operational - I cleaned this out, scraped the worst of the rust and it is back functional and dry. While the indicator is fully functional I plan to replace this and have ordered a new part.

If I remember correctly, I believe that if the wet indicator fault occurs and the hazard warning lights are switched on then the PCB under the dashboard is then toast. This component is expensive if available. It is also rarer than golden poo emerging from under my horse’s tail.
8,457 12,392,868 Read More
Page 1 of 40 1 2 3 39 40