DaveW spotted the secret banana box in the other thread about the garage
but as it was an unfinished project it couldn't possibly be revealed until it was finished today.
It's a Hattersley and Davidson desiccator footpump which I got as a "not really working" eBay purchase which looked suspiciously unused with just some storage marks on the paintwork. Of course it didn't work worth a damn once it arrived but this afternoon I got the last bits sorted out and it is now working as it should. I suspect that it was probably faulty from new and hence was unused due to a dodgy swivelling hose barb so once that was replaced along with a sticking schraeder valve, bunged some Neatsfoot oil in the pump, fitted new hoses and cut a couple of new gaskets for the desiccator cylinder it all just works.
And it's yellow to match the floor.
If I had any tyres I could now pump them up with dry air. There may be good reasons for pumping up tyres with dry air, I might even find out what they are!
Most of the silica gel is the old carcinogenic cobalt blue when dry indicator type which I've topped up with the modern orange when dry type that only may be carcinogenic.
Now holding pressure.
Just need a tyre on a wheel...