It seems to be the season for GDI engine covers …
With the risk of water in the coil pack/spark plug area on the GDI engine I also put a cover on a couple of weeks ago. What I did was:
It all started with:
2 Aluminium Flat Strip Bar 30mm x 3mm x 400mm and
1 Aluminium Sheet Plate 1mm thick 500mm x 300mm
and a couple of flange head 10mm stainless bolts (although only one used in the end)
Drilled holes to take the 10mm stainless bolts and bent the bars around an old scaffold pole so that when mounted there is sufficient clearance for the sheet over the engine and sit well below the bonnet hinges.
Mounted the bent bars using already available holes on side of cylinder head (and also using the existing bolt holding the lifting eye and washers to prevent pinching of wire secured to it).
Cut sheet aluminium to fit and rounded corners. Positioned correctly and then located and measured fixing holes for stainless steel flanged button head bolts M6 x 16 and fitted rivet nuts into the aluminium bar.
Remounted bars back on engine (with thin self-adhesive neoprene between bar and sheet to prevent rattling).
Bent sheet to suit (around a scaffold pole again), removed protective film, fitted edge trim to shaped aluminium sheet and fitted to mounting bars. And job done – or so I thought. But after seeing Harald and Eurosystem’s covers above (which both look great to me) it doesn’t look quite finished - I may well add a suitable Morgan logo as a future date ….