Click here to return to the home page.
Image of a road.
Who's Online Now
15 registered members (AlyMatt, lord-richfield, joergen, Paul F, DaveW, Jono, Heinz, SeaTacTom, LightSpeed, Mc Black, Alistair, John Robie, linklaw, M3W55, Gerhard), 123 guests, and 13 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
+8Rich 516
John V6 451
TBM 180
Heinz 174
Newest Topics
2016 Roadster multiple erros on ECU
by roof down and go. 29/03/20 08:43 PM
I remember when
by TimG. 29/03/20 03:38 PM
wipers intermittent relay
by Rev 4K. 29/03/20 02:40 PM
Hello from nr Bath
by ChrisP. 29/03/20 02:39 PM
One for the Porsche fans
by Gambalunga. 29/03/20 01:32 PM
A short film
by The Austrian. 29/03/20 12:35 PM
So, Have You Driven Your Vehicle Today?
by Jon G4LJW. 29/03/20 10:48 AM
Latest Photos
Updated-Bafflectomy Procedure
Suffolk in the sun
Ver.2 Morgans at Knockhill
Mogs at Knockhill Aug 2006
Social distancing over the weekend
Newest Members
Cuna2016, TonyRH, Kriado, MorganDriver, Andy Morris
6893 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics37,656
Posts614,342
Members6,893
Most Online1,033
Dec 28th, 2019
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Previous Gallery
Next Gallery
Print Thread
Ver.2 Morgans at Knockhill #625728
25/03/20 12:39 PM
25/03/20 12:39 PM
10 Images
L
Luddite Offline OP
Talk Morgan Regular
Ver.2 Morgans at Knockhill

Sorry I suffered a bit of brain fade and posted one pic twice in my last..Duh !

Max5, thanks for the heads-up on the Patterson family`s astounding success in the championships.

Graham, I suspect the marshals were a tad more relaxed as I suspect on this occasion there were few cars on track at any one time and as far as I know only one real racer on track, though there was one chap making things a tad entertaining by testing his boundaries in more location on track, fortunately not scaring anyone else, or damaging his Morgan in the process, plus 8`s can be a bit of a handful under a heavy foot and with old tyres, don`t ask me how I know..!!

ewn, still have plenty of pics from the event enough for a Ver.3 if interested. As for the rumble strips and possible damage, it has been some years since I have been on track at Knockhill, though from a dull memory the rumble strips are feathered at the edge and have a tad more rumble the deeper you transgress into them. Is it perhaps not the case that a gentleman is expected to stick within track limits... ? (-: Sorry have no experience with 4/4`s Ewn,

The first of the pics shows Duffus Dip which comes up at the end of the start/finish straight... I introduced the rear quarter of my black 911 to the tyre wall at the base of the dip some years back, having just touched the grass with my rear nearside tyre at the turn in while trying to be the last of the late brakers...DUH..! I was much younger then..(-: In later years with a newer 911 I had more respect and perhaps better brakes, and by the time I used my old Morgan on track , I was even MORE careful at the end of the straight...

Not sure if Duffus Dip is still called that..? Allan Duffus was a very successful Scottish motorcycle race champion in the 70`s.
7 Comments
Re: Ver.2 Morgans at Knockhill [Re: Luddite] #626419
28/03/20 06:24 AM
28/03/20 06:24 AM
NE Scotland
ewn Offline
Has a lot to Say!
ewn  Offline
Has a lot to Say!

NE Scotland
Thanks again Luddite, those are superb and very interesting photos, I barely recognise some of the spots.
Duffus Dip is indeed still named so and still quite daunting, probably the scariest place to lose it, since you’ve already done it, I’ll heed your advice and keep off the grass!
I’d love to try some other tracks, but they’re all a bit too far away for a one day visit for me, so Knockhill and Boyndie are my only experiences so far.

Re: Ver.2 Morgans at Knockhill [Re: Luddite] #626430
28/03/20 08:11 AM
28/03/20 08:11 AM
Aberdeenshire
Image Offline
Learner Plates Off!
Image  Offline
Learner Plates Off!

Aberdeenshire
Ewn .... get yourself a competition licence ..... the safety gear requirements for road-going aren't major ...... there's sprints at Kames, Boyndle and Golspie and hill climbs at Fintray, Forrestburn and Doune (possibly the best in the UK) ..... you can treat them like a track day, compete against your own PB or fight tooth and nail for a tacky plastic trophy depending on how it grabs you ....downsides are that it's a bit more expensive than a track day, not so much track time and depends on getting time off at the weekend ..... but if the competition bug bites then it can become an obsession smile

K

Re: Ver.2 Morgans at Knockhill [Re: Luddite] #626432
28/03/20 08:20 AM
28/03/20 08:20 AM
Cheltenham, Glos. UK
Graham, G4FUJ Offline
Salty Sea Dog
Graham, G4FUJ  Offline
Salty Sea Dog
Member of the Inner Circle

Cheltenham, Glos. UK
As Don knows, I'm rather taken with Forrestburn.
But I haven't visited the other hill climbs, yet! smile

Graham (G4FUJ)

D8921 L44FOR '93 4/4 Giallo Fly 2 seat smile
'90 LR 90 SW
'07 MINI Cooper
Re: Ver.2 Morgans at Knockhill [Re: Luddite] #626451
28/03/20 09:20 AM
28/03/20 09:20 AM
Aberdeenshire
Image Offline
Learner Plates Off!
Image  Offline
Learner Plates Off!

Aberdeenshire
Graham ....would be great to see you up here ....Doune is bucket list job ....doesn't have the fine fixed facilities of a Prescott or Shelsley but the track is epic to drive ....standing watching the big single seaters firing through Garden Gate and up the Tunnel is heart-stopping ....well worth the trip

K

Re: Ver.2 Morgans at Knockhill [Re: Luddite] #626464
28/03/20 10:27 AM
28/03/20 10:27 AM
L
Luddite Offline OP
Talk Morgan Regular
Luddite  Offline OP
Talk Morgan Regular
L

ewn, I have no idea of how many laps I have put in around Knockhill over the years, and in a variety of machinery, thus I came to know the circuit rather well.

Other than Knockhill the only other track I have circulated to the extent that I got to learn it`s lay out reasonably well, was the IOM, now that was very special for me.. (-:

Knockhill provides as much fun and in a degree of safety that can be enjoyed without real fear of doing real damage if it goes wrong for a track day enthusiast, assuming you do not have a degree excess of power over capability available, given the amazing HP figures I see quoted that seem to be a must in modern sports cars. Jeez I could scare myself with 150HP let alone the 400 or so that seems to be the modern day norm..!!! Other than Duffus Dip I seem to remember another possible Knockhill watch point was that there used to be a bit of a stream across the track surface, that could appear on the "occasional" wet day that Knockhill is known to suffer the location of which was near the top of the incline on the start finish straight, and which caught a few out in the past, one to watch for if it still exists..?

K, I spent quite a few years attending the hill climbs and classic car events at Doune, I grabbed a few pics over the years..Happy to dig them and post them if there is any interest. I have also a few I grabbed at a non-timed track event at Forrestburn if there is any interest..?

Graham, Forrestburn is a great location and a tad similar to Knockhill in terms of exposure to the Scottish weather... (-: Forrestburn on a good weather day is rather special, though I have enjoyed many a great day out watching the guys and gals taking part in Production Car Trials (PCT) and have a few pics there too..(-: I also attended the Classic event at Jonny Dumfies` country cottage on the Island of Bute a few years back where they had a bit of a hill climb set out in his "garden".. Not quite Goodwood, but none the less a good try.. (-: Yeah I grabbed pics at quite a number of events over the years and enjoyed them all greatly..more than happy to share them if there is any interest.

Re: Ver.2 Morgans at Knockhill [Re: Luddite] #626487
28/03/20 12:06 PM
28/03/20 12:06 PM
Aberdeenshire
Image Offline
Learner Plates Off!
Image  Offline
Learner Plates Off!

Aberdeenshire
Luddite ..... always interested in hillclimb pics ....but acknowledge that it might be a minority interest .... only missed two events at Doune in the last 15 years or so .....one due to a last minute serious oil leak that would need an engine-out and the other because I'd mangled a finger and when it was splinted it stuck out enough to foul the dash when I tried to turn the wheel smile

Absolutely great place!

K

Re: Ver.2 Morgans at Knockhill [Re: Luddite] #626498
28/03/20 01:30 PM
28/03/20 01:30 PM
Cheltenham, Glos. UK
Graham, G4FUJ Offline
Salty Sea Dog
Graham, G4FUJ  Offline
Salty Sea Dog
Member of the Inner Circle

Cheltenham, Glos. UK