Click here to return to the home page.
Image of a road.
Who's Online
21 registered (MJF, Stewart S, PaulV, Oakvillian, Elcyd, Bitsobrits, Dan_Lockwood, meabh, Bourbonmog, A11OGE, David Gibson, Ian Wegg, dmh, Neptune, 3Gs, JCK, Michael H, MDS61, HJP, James B W, twotribes), 125 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
Custom made storage box for luggage rack
Southern Weather comes North
Island of Muhu in the rain
65 Plus 4 Four Seater back seat Lift-a-dot studs
Fuel cap seal
Newest Topics
It's a go.
by meabh
19/06/19 02:23 PM
Piston Heads Tues Evening
by lowebird
19/06/19 10:08 AM
Wow - A message for 3 Wheeler owners from MMC
by PaulV
18/06/19 07:22 PM
A message for 3 Wheeler owners from MMC
by TalkMorgan
18/06/19 07:16 PM
A message for 3 Wheeler owners from MMC
by TalkMorgan
18/06/19 07:15 PM
Fabulous "proper" Mini for sale....price WOW
by MDS61
18/06/19 06:30 PM
"Chirp" on cold start up on 1600 Sigma
by Max5
18/06/19 04:57 PM
Newest Members
PaulyG, René, Bodensee-Mog, Pip, jakexj9000
6556 Registered Users
Shout Box

Forum Stats
6,556 Registered Members
33 Forums
35,399 Topics
571,235 Posts

Most users ever online: 341 @ 11/02/18 10:30 PM
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#101895 - 22/08/12 12:41 AM The Talk Morgan Guide to Sharing Photos Online
Mi3Wheeler Offline

Talk Morgan Enthusiast

Loc: Michigan, USA

#449436 - 17/05/17 02:21 PM The Talk Morgan Guide to Sharing Photos Online [Re: Mi3Wheeler]
Ian Wegg Online   content

Talk Morgan Expert

Loc: Petersfield, Hampshire, UK
A pictorial guide to putting a Photobucket* picture into a forum post.

(*Other hosting sites are available - although not many these days)

Assuming you have uploaded your picture successfully as detailed above, you then need to seek out the appropriate link. This is NOT the text displayed in the browser's address bar but one of the sharing links.

The one you are looking for is usually called either IMG or possibly BBcode:

Here are two different Photobucket views:

On other sites you may first need to find the share button, usually an upwards arrow, such as shown bottom right on Flickr

and then find the BBCode:

Select all of the text within the box and copy it. On some sites merely clicking the box will do the copy for you, otherwise use your operating system's method (e.g. CTRL-C in Windows) but it's important to copy the entire string, not just the text that is visible.

Now go to your forum post and simply paste in the string:

At its simplest it will look something like this:

or could be more complex like this:

It looks messy but done correctly the picture will appear in your post once you have entered it.

#461661 - 16/07/17 04:37 AM Re: The Talk Morgan Guide to Sharing Photos Online [Re: Mi3Wheeler]
FredC Offline
New to Talk Morgan

Why do I see this ugly Photo Bucket message "please update your account to enable 3rd party hosting" on well over half the post on this website? Do the photos that were originally posted just disappear from Talk Morgan until the poster pays ransom to these bozos?

#461664 - 16/07/17 07:34 AM Re: The Talk Morgan Guide to Sharing Photos Online [Re: FredC]
Gambalunga Offline

Member of the Inner Circle

Loc: Mandello del Lario, Lake Como,...
Originally Posted By FredC
Why do I see this ugly Photo Bucket message "please update your account to enable 3rd party hosting" on well over half the post on this website? Do the photos that were originally posted just disappear from Talk Morgan until the poster pays ransom to these bozos?

The short answer is "Yes".

As an alternative you can use http://tm-img.com/

It is powered by Chevereto image hosting software, which seems to be one of the best in its class, and has been set up specifically to host images for Talk Morgan. It is administered by TM members and funded, like Talk Morgan itself, with donations from members.

The TM Image Library is not open to direct public viewing as we don't want it to become another Botophucket: you must create an account in order to view photos uploaded by members or upload photos yourself, this does not exclude viewing the photos by direct links in any forum or any other sharing method. The photos are automatically resized for easy insertion in the forum.

In due course full instructions will be developed but it is pretty easy to use. If you have any problems you only need to ask.

#461692 - 16/07/17 10:38 AM Re: The Talk Morgan Guide to Sharing Photos Online [Re: Mi3Wheeler]
Hamwich Offline

Talk Morgan Guru

Loc: Gloucestershire, UK
Here are some instructions for using the new TalkMorgan image hosting service to show your pictures.

1. Preamble
I assume that you are familiar with using the internet, your computing device, and understand the operating system, browser, and picture management software that you use.

This guide has been prepared using a Mac, running Safari as a web browser, but the principles are pretty much transferable to other computers

2. The Image Hosting Service
As Peter has explained in his earlier posts, the new service uses a SaaS (Software as a Service) offering called Chevereto. It is a paid-for service, and we'll be asking for contributions once Peter has sussed out the best way to handle the payments.

The web address (more properly referred to as the URL or Uniform Resource Locator) for the site is http://tm-img.com

3. Creating an Account
When you first visit the site, you will be prompted to enter your userid and password - which at this stage you will not have. So before you can do anything, you must set up an account. To do so, look for a button or link labelled "Create Account"

Depending on your browser rendering, it may not be at top right of the screen as displayed here. On an IOS device, for example, it's a link at the bottom of the screen.

When you click on the link you will need to provide an email address, a username, and a password. You will be sent an activation link to the email address you specify, so make sure you use one that you can actually access. For your Userid, use your TalkMorgan handle. That way we can check those people who register and keep out spammers, trolls, and other ne'er-do-wells. If for some reason you can't use you TM handle due to special character restrictions, then go for something as close as you can get.

Once you have registered, you'll be sent an activation link, at which point you'll be ready to upload images.

4. Uploading Images

This is a very simple process, the only thing you have to be aware of is that images must exist as separate files on your computer. You can't upload direct out of photo management software like the Photos application on a Mac. So your first job is to export it from the management program to somewhere handy on your computer. Other software packages may not require this, if you can see a .jpg file somewhere then you're in business.

When you click on the 'Upload' link at the top of the screen, you have 4 methods of uploading:

I find it easiest to use the 'Browse from your Computer" option, and when you click on this it loads up your computer's file manager (Finder on a Mac, File Manager on a Windows machine). Use this to navigate to the file you want to upload. In this example, I have placed a screenshot picture on my desktop that I want to upload.

Make sure your image is 6MB or less. To reduce the size of your photo, use your photo manager software. Each app will do this in different ways (which is why you need to be familiar with your computer). For example, on a Mac running the Photos app, When you do the file export, select the Large option rather than leaving it original size. The picture below was 5.9MB originally, but exporting it as large size reduced it to less than 600KB

Once you've selected the image, you can specify a category for it. Please adhere to the Terms and Conditions when it comes to uploading images, we can delete images and block people who abuse the service.

4.1 Migrating Images from other Services

If you use the 'Image url' upload option, it enables you to load images into tm-img that are currently elsewhere on t'internet - such as you Botophucket account if it's still working. Just go to the image that you want to load up, copy the url, and paste it into the box. This uploads a copy of the image, leaving the original in its location.

5. Displaying Images in TalkMorgan

This is the easiest bit of all. Once your image is uploaded, scroll down and select the Embed Codes link. Now move your mouse down over the 'BB Code' section and a little 'copy' button will appear

Click on the copy button, switch to your TalkMorgan post, and paste the link into place.

That's all there is to it! Enjoy...

#461698 - 16/07/17 11:34 AM Re: The Talk Morgan Guide to Sharing Photos Online [Re: Mi3Wheeler]
Alan Patterson Offline
Has a lot to Say!

Loc: Kent
It may be a good idea to pin this to the top of the forum so it is easily retrievable (and before it disappears down the list of active topics)
2016 Plus 4 GDi - Mazda Soul Red Metallic

#461702 - 16/07/17 11:55 AM Re: The Talk Morgan Guide to Sharing Photos Online [Re: Alan Patterson]
Hamwich Offline

Talk Morgan Guru

Originally Posted By Alan Patterson
It may be a good idea to pin this to the top of the forum

It already is, Alan. Good thinking, though.

#461724 - 16/07/17 02:02 PM Re: The Talk Morgan Guide to Sharing Photos Online [Re: Mi3Wheeler]
Gambalunga Offline

Tim. Great job, I had not even thought of the differences on a Mac.

We can increase the maximum upload size to 6MB. I had thought 5MB would be enough. If you can still edit the instructions please do so.

Thanks for the good work.

#461740 - 16/07/17 03:15 PM Re: The Talk Morgan Guide to Sharing Photos Online [Re: Gambalunga]
Hamwich Offline

Talk Morgan Guru

Originally Posted By Gambalunga

We can increase the maximum upload size to 6MB. I had thought 5MB would be enough. If you can still edit the instructions please do so.

To be honest Peter, I think 5MB is plenty for images that are going to be viewed on line in a browser. With modern cameras shooting at 12MP and upwards, we'll be gobbling up disk space like nobody's business if we relax the limit too far, and it's not exactly hard to save a smaller version of a picture.

#461745 - 16/07/17 04:02 PM Re: The Talk Morgan Guide to Sharing Photos Online [Re: Mi3Wheeler]
Stringers Best Mate Offline

Talk Morgan Sage

Loc: Northamptonshire UK
You two are stars..

notworthy

#461760 - 16/07/17 05:14 PM Re: The Talk Morgan Guide to Sharing Photos Online [Re: Mi3Wheeler]
Graham, G4FUJ Offline
Salty Sea Dog

Loc: Cheltenham, Glos. UK
thumbs
Well done chaps smile

D8921 L44FOR '93 4/4 Giallo Fly 2 seat smile
'90 LR 90 SW
'07 MINI Cooper

#461827 - 16/07/17 09:31 PM Re: The Talk Morgan Guide to Sharing Photos Online [Re: Hamwich]
Gambalunga Offline

Originally Posted By Hamwich

To be honest Peter, I think 5MB is plenty for images that are going to be viewed on line in a browser. With modern cameras shooting at 12MP and upwards, we'll be gobbling up disk space like nobody's business if we relax the limit too far, and it's not exactly hard to save a smaller version of a picture.

Not a problem Tim. The software on the server automatically reduces the image to the size I have set: that is 1024x800 pixels.

The idea is to save people, and not everyone is good at this stuff, having to reduce the image size themselves.

#461840 - 16/07/17 09:59 PM Re: The Talk Morgan Guide to Sharing Photos Online [Re: Gambalunga]
Hamwich Offline

Talk Morgan Guru

Not a problem Tim. The software on the server automatically reduces the image to the size I have set: that is 1024x800 pixels.

The idea is to save people, and not everyone is good at this stuff, having to reduce the image size themselves.

Oh, very clever! I'm impressed with Chevereto, it was a very good find on your part.

#462098 - 18/07/17 09:47 AM Re: The Talk Morgan Guide to Sharing Photos Online [Re: Mi3Wheeler]
NeilL Offline

Talk Morgan Sage

Loc: Warks
Very many thanks both!

I have cracked most of it - but am making a mess of adding the "img" element to each pic and so it comes up as a url to click on shocked2

Edited by RoadsterBoy (18/07/17 09:47 AM)

#462103 - 18/07/17 09:58 AM Re: The Talk Morgan Guide to Sharing Photos Online [Re: Mi3Wheeler]
Graham, G4FUJ Offline
Salty Sea Dog

Just use square brackets each side of "img" and "/img" - leave out the quotation marks!
So at start of link: [img]
At end: [/img]

Simples smile

'90 LR 90 SW
'07 MINI Cooper

#462106 - 18/07/17 10:12 AM Re: The Talk Morgan Guide to Sharing Photos Online [Re: Mi3Wheeler]
Gambalunga Offline

To add an image from http://tm-img.com to your avatar you must first display the image by clicking on the thumbnail in the list display. You will then find under the image three possible selections: About, Embed codes, Full info (About will be the currently selected item).

Click on Embed codes and you will see the following screen:

For the direct URL which is required for the avatar move your mouse down over the 'Thumbnail URL' section and a little 'copy' button will appear. Click on the copy button, switch to your TalkMorgan profile, and paste the link into place.

5. Displaying Images in TalkMorgan

This is the easiest bit of all. Once your image is uploaded, scroll down and select the Embed Codes link. Now move your mouse down over the 'BB Code' section and a little 'copy' button will appear

Click on the copy button, switch to your TalkMorgan post, and paste the link into place.

Note that by using the 'BB Code' section the img short code (enclosed by [] ) is already in place and you just past that directly into your post without going to the "Enter image button".

Edited by Gambalunga (18/07/17 10:23 AM)

#462181 - 18/07/17 04:26 PM Re: The Talk Morgan Guide to Sharing Photos Online [Re: Mi3Wheeler]
Mi3Wheeler Offline

Talk Morgan Enthusiast

Loc: Michigan, USA
Photobucket has gone to a monthly paid subscription model and my refusal to pay has broken all my links. So these posts can be deleted.

If the admins would like an updated version minus the photobucket section I would be happy to update it, but I can no longer host the images.

#462258 - 18/07/17 09:55 PM Re: The Talk Morgan Guide to Sharing Photos Online [Re: Mi3Wheeler]
John07 Offline
L - Learner Plates On

Loc: North Yorks
Just signed up, well done Peter and Tim for setting this up.
Cheers
John

Edited by John07 (18/07/17 09:55 PM)

#469273 - 28/08/17 04:17 PM Re: The Talk Morgan Guide to Sharing Photos Online [Re: Mi3Wheeler]
AeroIan Offline
L - Learner Plates On

Loc: N.Ireland
Superb guys - thanks ... signed up and working

Aero 8 Series 1
BMW M140i
2003 Defender 90
BMW 330d M Touring

#469387 - 29/08/17 07:38 AM Re: The Talk Morgan Guide to Sharing Photos Online [Re: Mi3Wheeler]
Gambalunga Offline

Originally Posted By Mi3Wheeler
Photobucket has gone to a monthly paid subscription model and my refusal to pay has broken all my links. So these posts can be deleted.

If the admins would like an updated version minus the photobucket section I would be happy to update it, but I can no longer host the images.

Charlie

You are most welcome to use the facility that we have set up at http://tm-img.com

Naturally that won't help your existing links but you will be able to re-post anything that you think is important on TM or any other forum.

All the best
Peter

#513358 - 16/05/18 02:35 PM Re: The Talk Morgan Guide to Sharing Photos Online [Re: Mi3Wheeler]
CJB Offline
Just Getting Started

Loc: Winchmore Hill, Bucks
Help!
I am really struggling to upload a new avatar since we lost Photobucket. I've tried all different formats and sizes, the forum won't even let me use a stock avatar.
This is so frustrating, I can post photos on forum posts no problem.
Tks, Chris
1973 Lotus Europa TC/Special

#513373 - 16/05/18 04:42 PM Re: The Talk Morgan Guide to Sharing Photos Online [Re: Mi3Wheeler]
NeilL Offline

Talk Morgan Sage

Loc: Warks
Yes - me too - help please! banghead

#513382 - 16/05/18 05:24 PM Re: The Talk Morgan Guide to Sharing Photos Online [Re: Mi3Wheeler]
Graham, G4FUJ Offline
Salty Sea Dog

Post your avatar photo on TM-IMG, then link to it. Bear in mind the size and max dimensions for avatars.

'90 LR 90 SW
'07 MINI Cooper

#513385 - 16/05/18 05:27 PM Re: The Talk Morgan Guide to Sharing Photos Online [Re: Mi3Wheeler]
Hamwich Offline

Talk Morgan Guru

To give yourself a new avatar is a 3-step process:

1. Prepare your image. It must be no bigger than 100 x 100 pixels and must be .jpg, .png, or .bmp format.

2. Upload it to tm-img like you would with any other picture. Go to the BBCode section and copy the image url to your clipboard.

3. Edit your profile, click on the radio button that says to use the new avatar, and paste the link into the box.

If you still can't get it to work, give me a bit more detail as to what stage is failing, and I'll try to figure out what's going wrong.

#513390 - 16/05/18 05:52 PM Re: The Talk Morgan Guide to Sharing Photos Online [Re: Hamwich]
CJB Offline
Just Getting Started

Loc: Winchmore Hill, Bucks
Thanks Tim, strangely enough, my old Photobucket avatar has now appeared alongside my post,
1973 Lotus Europa TC/Special

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Aeroman, Boshly, Simon