Click here to return to the home page.
Morgan 3 Wheeler
Who's Online
1 registered (P964), 114 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
PocketRocket - Rolling Chassis - Roadster
M3W Tour of New Zealand 2019
Concept Royal Enfield V Twin
Go Outdoors
Morgan 3 wheeler oil cooler
Newest Topics
Motolita Steering Wheel
by SFG
19/03/19 05:39 PM
MMC Sport Rack - spare wheel attachment
by BobJ
19/03/19 05:27 PM
an interesting video - Lotus
by howard
19/03/19 12:10 PM
If I could only have one.... Guitar
by twotribes
19/03/19 11:50 AM
Cain/ Wolf performance
by SteveH
19/03/19 07:49 AM
Anyone in Missouri/Kansas?
by Jabax4
19/03/19 03:20 AM
Recommended engine oil for a 4/4 engine 1.6 TI VCT
by Heinz
19/03/19 01:52 AM
Newest Members
Jabax4, UTE, robert l, RogerU, GIB
6422 Registered Users
Shout Box

Forum Stats
6,422 Registered Members
33 Forums
34,566 Topics
556,707 Posts

Most users ever online: 341 @ 11/02/18 10:30 PM
Today's Birthdays
Gunnar, Laurens, lord-richfield, robmog88, rosko
Page 19 of 21 < 1 2 17 18 19 20 21 >
Topic Options
#458605 - 01/07/17 06:12 PM Re: Driving the M3W with a Helmet? [Re: The Austrian]
julespilot Offline
New to Talk Morgan

Loc: Orange County, CA, USA
yep, we have half helmets for trips (learnt my lesson years ago when i had my leather jacket partially unzipped on a hot day while riding a motorbike, hit a bumble bee that pile drove through the t-shirt i was wearing and into my chest) ... just making sure I was legal if I don't feel like wearing one while pootling around town.

#458679 - 02/07/17 09:03 AM Re: Driving the M3W with a Helmet? [Re: The Austrian]
ArchieWetleg Offline
New to Talk Morgan

Loc: Bedfordshire
After 4 months of ownership I have bought a helmet for fast roads and motorways. I set out to buy a Davida Jet for the quality and leather, but needing glasses for driving concluded that goggles were too much trouble.
I was shown a Shoei J-O which has a built-in visor, it fits me better than the Davida and is lighter.
The visor disappears up into the helmet and is super clear, replacements are about £38.
Shoei J-O - Matt Brown
Multi-composite contemporary yet classic look.

Edited by ArchieWetleg (02/07/17 10:20 AM)

#458749 - 02/07/17 03:36 PM Re: Driving the M3W with a Helmet? [Re: The Austrian]
2Sharp Offline
L - Learner Plates On

I think buying helmets for the Morgan is addictive. I am less than 1 month in and now have 4 different helmets. If it was not for helmets being required in VA and the fact the roll hoop is right behind your head I probably would not wear a helmet. The latest purchase is a Voss carbon fiber half shell with a pull down visor. The visor is nice for when there is a lot of sun. I have never been a half shell kind of guy but it gives the best ride experience for me and is dot approved and should protect your head in the event it hits the hoop in an accident. The built in visor types are really cool but had a hard time finding a DOT approved and light (i.e. Carbon fiber). I also like the bell 500 so will use that for the kids.

#458771 - 02/07/17 04:57 PM Re: Driving the M3W with a Helmet? [Re: The Austrian]
truckin-on Online   content
Learner Plates Off!

Loc: New Jersey, USA
I bought a pair of Bell Pit Boss 1/2 helmets to use on the "open road". I really like them - they help with a bit of noise reduction, they are light, DOT approved, built-in tinted flip-up hidden visor (a clear one is available also), and comfortable. Also, two of them will fit under the boot if you don't want to wear them, but want to bring them along.

#458818 - 03/07/17 12:31 AM Re: Driving the M3W with a Helmet? [Re: julespilot]
WW1 ACE Offline
Just Getting Started

Originally Posted By julespilot
While I agree smart to wear a helmet at speed, came across this today while researching state law ... if I'm reading this correctly, don't need to wear a helmet in a M3W in CA (USA):

California Vehicle Code 27803
(f) This section does not apply to a person operating, or riding as a passenger in, a fully enclosed (define fully enclosed??) three-wheeled motor vehicle that is not less than seven feet in length (M3W = 10.58 ft long) and not less than four feet in width (M3W = 5.64 ft wide), and has an unladen weight of 900 pounds or more (M3W = 1157 lbs), if the vehicle meets or exceeds all of the requirements of this code, the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards, and the rules and regulations adopted by the United States Department of Transportation and the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.

This is the new law that Elio got passed in many states so that people don't need a helmet in their fully enclosed vehicle. The M3W is not fully enclosed and therefore unfortunately this won't apply to us.

#458826 - 03/07/17 04:47 AM Re: Driving the M3W with a Helmet? [Re: WW1 ACE]
truckin-on Online   content
Learner Plates Off!

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Originally Posted By WW1 ACE
Originally Posted By julespilot
While I agree smart to wear a helmet at speed, came across this today while researching state law ... if I'm reading this correctly, don't need to wear a helmet in a M3W in CA (USA):

California Vehicle Code 27803
(f) This section does not apply to a person operating, or riding as a passenger in, a fully enclosed (define fully enclosed??) three-wheeled motor vehicle that is not less than seven feet in length (M3W = 10.58 ft long) and not less than four feet in width (M3W = 5.64 ft wide), and has an unladen weight of 900 pounds or more (M3W = 1157 lbs), if the vehicle meets or exceeds all of the requirements of this code, the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards, and the rules and regulations adopted by the United States Department of Transportation and the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.

This is the new law that Elio got passed in many states so that people don't need a helmet in their fully enclosed vehicle. The M3W is not fully enclosed and therefore unfortunately this won't apply to us.

Well, as "fully enclosed" isn't defined anywhere that I know of, a reasonable view is that if you sit IN it rather than ON it, and it has sides and seat belts, you're OK w/o a helmet. My M3W is at least as fully enclosed as my '55 MG TF...

#458844 - 03/07/17 08:43 AM Re: Driving the M3W with a Helmet? [Re: ArchieWetleg]
TimG Offline
Has a lot to Say!

Loc: Aberdeenshire
Originally Posted By ArchieWetleg
After 4 months of ownership I have bought a helmet for fast roads and motorways. I set out to buy a Davida Jet for the quality and leather, but needing glasses for driving concluded that goggles were too much trouble.
I was shown a Shoei J-O which has a built-in visor, it fits me better than the Davida and is lighter.
The visor disappears up into the helmet and is super clear, replacements are about £38.
Shoei J-O - Matt Brown
Multi-composite contemporary yet classic look.

Caberg produce the similar Riviera & Uptown. Both have a flip up visor on the outside of the shell & a flip down smoke visor inside the shell. I have the Riviera which is almost mist free in rain just lift it a bit when stopped.

Tim

#459030 - 03/07/17 10:59 PM Re: Driving the M3W with a Helmet? [Re: The Austrian]
Richard Wood Offline
Talk Morgan Enthusiast

Loc: East Harling, Norfolk UK
+1 thumbs

2018 Roadster - Red/Magnolia - "Morton"
1967 Land Rover series 2a SWB
1960 Velocette Venom

#459304 - 05/07/17 01:52 PM Re: Driving the M3W with a Helmet? [Re: PhilipNZ]
NickValentine Offline
L - Learner Plates On

Loc: Maryland, USA
Originally Posted By PhilipNZ
We have M3W logo'd Davida Jets from the Morgan shop for the open road trips and love them. Only for the reasons of cutting down noise and protection from stones. In a crash we know we're screwed anyway

Maybe it doesn't do anything in accidents at highway speeds. Might save your life if you're T-Boned at 20mph. I look at it like one of those flimsy helmets they give you when you parachute. Can't save you if the chute doesn't open, but it might save you if your head hits the plane on the way out.

#459404 - 05/07/17 09:19 PM Re: Driving the MTW with a Helmet? [Re: charlestkirby]
KenShapiro Offline
Has a lot to Say!

Loc: Baltimore, Maryland USA
Originally Posted By charlestkirby
Shoei j-cruise is my helmet. I recommend it.
Fully water proof Flip up perspex face visor. Also available is a double glaxed section for cold days.
Pop down solar lens .
There are variable cooling ducts too.

Been riding bikes almost 50 years. Love my J-Cruise. Never wear a helmet in my Morgan though.

2014 BMW R9T

Page 19 of 21 < 1 2 17 18 19 20 21 >

Moderator:  Aeroman