Click here to return to the home page.
Image of a road.
Who's Online
3 registered (06032, rcmatt, Bitsobrits), 87 Guests and 14 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
Rodger's M3W oil cooler
Bonesies new car :
4/4 80th Anniversary
Dunnottar Moonrise
Rodger's M3W
Newest Topics
Wanted: Rebound springs
by sid
20/02/19 10:09 PM
Anyone tried these razor blades
by Jack The Lad
20/02/19 05:45 PM
morgan .jpg
by chrivi
20/02/19 05:27 PM
Happy Birthday Button you legend
by +8Rich
20/02/19 04:42 PM
Picture of 4 wheeled M3W wanted
by PaulJ
20/02/19 02:29 PM
oil cooler installation
by rcmatt
20/02/19 01:40 PM
Fitting a valance to my +4
by tommog
20/02/19 11:08 AM
Newest Members
lysholmn1, LightSpeed, David Gibson, thelastgizmo, Shadmog
6386 Registered Users
Shout Box

Forum Stats
6,386 Registered Members
33 Forums
34,278 Topics
550,473 Posts

Most users ever online: 341 @ 11/02/18 10:30 PM
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#244804 - 06/01/15 07:19 PM Dangers of salt on the roads & what to do about it
Stewart S Offline
Wave & smile... It's a Morgan
Member of the Inner Circle

Loc: Lancashire, England
Evening Gentlemen

This is the first Winter of owning a Morgan and I am determined to get out in the car as much as possible over the winter on cold clear days.

With clear days proceeding clear nights and heavy frosts and enemy gritters out and about salting roads, what are the actual dangers of driving a Morgan on salty roads and what practical measures can I take after a drive to get it all off so it doesn't do any harm.

I have been out on lightly damp salty roads and have jet washed the car, top side, after the event but should I be doing something underneath as well?

I don't want to blast away the waxoil underbody protection

Any practical advice will be welcomed as I don't want to develop an irrational saltaphobia that keeps me off the road unnecessarily

Edited by Eric Gill Sans (06/01/15 07:25 PM)

#244806 - 06/01/15 07:26 PM Re: Dangers of salt on the roads & what to do about it [Re: Stewart S]
Ray Offline

Part of the Furniture

Loc: Llanelli
Hose underneath with plenty of fresh water. Try to get as much pressure as you feel safe with.

#244807 - 06/01/15 07:28 PM Re: Dangers of salt on the roads & what to do about it [Re: Stewart S]
Roger-Cheshire Offline

Charter Member

Loc: Cheshire
If I go out in mine and the roads are salty or muddy I have a 2 foot piece of copper extension with a tap on it attached to my hosepipe and has a nozzle on it pointing upwards so that I can get in all the nooks and crannies. Takes a few minutes and it's all nice and clean.

Mogless in Cheshire. Ex -2011 4/4 Sport

https://thecourtyardcheshire.com/

#244808 - 06/01/15 07:29 PM Re: Dangers of salt on the roads & what to do about it [Re: Stewart S]
DaveW Offline
Roadster Guru

Loc: South Yorkshire
Probably the most important thing is to get it dry as soon as possible. A dehumidifier will do this overnight.

The main deterioration with winter use is the unprotected cross tubes and suspension components. The flat centre of the underside will stay remarkably clean, almost 'immaculate'. But the under-wing areas suffer badly - which is why its a good idea to protect them as well as you can.

I don't jet wash underneath, because there are too many nooks and crannies. Just keep a watchful eye on likely corrosion points, and take action if there's any deterioration. To be honest I don't jet wash the outside either. I prefer a sponge or mit with a bucket of water.

The black underseal now used by MMC is very good in protecting the underside.

I do jack up and clean the inside of the wheels though, with a rag and either WD40 or something similar through winter. And I also clean the exhaust while the car is lifted.

#244809 - 06/01/15 07:32 PM Re: Dangers of salt on the roads & what to do about it [Re: Roger-Cheshire]
Stewart S Offline

Originally Posted By Roger-Cheshire
If I go out in mine and the roads are salty or muddy I have a 2 foot piece of copper extension with a tap on it attached to my hosepipe and has a nozzle on it pointing upwards so that I can get in all the nooks and crannies. Takes a few minutes and it's all nice and clean.

That sounds a very good solution Roger thumbs

#244811 - 06/01/15 07:40 PM Re: Dangers of salt on the roads & what to do about it [Re: DaveW]
Stewart S Offline

Originally Posted By DaveW
Probably the most important thing is to get it dry as soon as possible. A dehumidifier will do this overnight.

The main deterioration with winter use is the unprotected cross tubes and suspension components. The flat centre of the underside will stay remarkably clean, almost 'immaculate'. But the under-wing areas suffer badly - which is why its a good idea to protect them as well as you can.

I don't jet wash underneath, because there are too many nooks and crannies. Just keep a watchful eye on likely corrosion points, and take action if there's any deterioration. To be honest I don't jet wash the outside either. I prefer a sponge or mit with a bucket of water.

The black underseal now used by MMC is very good in protecting the underside.

I do jack up and clean the inside of the wheels though, with a rag and either WD40 or something similar through winter. And I also clean the exhaust while the car is lifted.

Thanks Dave
How should I treat or clean the under wing areas?

#244814 - 06/01/15 07:45 PM Re: Dangers of salt on the roads & what to do about it [Re: Stewart S]
MOG 615 Offline
Has a lot to Say!

Loc: London
When does a cherished number become a vanity plate , and vice versa?

My own MOG 615 has been with me on 3 Morgans since 1970. I regard it as cherished number rather than a cherished number.

BTW my initial posting on Talk Morgan stating that I did not know the whereabouts of my first +4 , has turned up that it is now owned by Sid Madrid. That is really good to know that it still is around and is giving pleasure to a new owner.

#244816 - 06/01/15 07:50 PM Re: Dangers of salt on the roads & what to do about it [Re: Stewart S]
Stewart S Offline

Crikey Andy, I love a good ole thread drift but....... laugh2

#244817 - 06/01/15 07:52 PM Re: Dangers of salt on the roads & what to do about it [Re: Stewart S]
DaveW Offline
Roadster Guru

Loc: South Yorkshire
In particular check the rear wing trailing edges regularly, otherwise you'll get this:

This is what I mean about the centre of the underside - I didn't even clean the centre before taking this photo, but the join between the wing and body needed cleaning and re-undersealing. This was soon after I bought Mr Bumble. It isn't quite as clean now!

I would rather go under with a rag and some white spirit than wet it in winter. It shouldn't get too bad, just lift it occasionally and look with an inspection lamp. If it's well undersealed it will be fine, but keep the beading between wing & body treated with your preferred anti rust liquid.

#244819 - 06/01/15 08:00 PM Re: Dangers of salt on the roads & what to do about it [Re: Stewart S]
scratched Offline

Learner Plates Off!

Loc: Lancashire
Davew:

"The black underseal now used by MMC is very good in protecting the underside"

Is it overkill to have the underside waxoiled as well as the new underseal or is it sensible belt and braces?

Stewart:

I had my last Mog rewaxoiled after I was a little (alot) too eager with the jet washer, don't know whether I did any damage but better safe than sorry.

Rich Maroon and Royal Ivory (ish) +4

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Aeroman, Boshly, Simon