Click here to return to the home page.
Morgan 3 Wheeler
Who's Online
6 registered (Tim W, tnj, kar120c, IcePack, marshalben, planenut), 98 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
One for KEVIN
More recent pics...
pic of car as suggested in welcome forum
Ford GDI engine for sale
Today at Rattray Head
Newest Topics
Paint code, Saxe blue
by ewn
17/02/19 11:15 PM
Squeaky Spring Hanger
by IcePack
17/02/19 11:00 PM
Which order, wipers
by ewn
17/02/19 10:54 PM
Striking colour
by +8Rich
17/02/19 10:46 PM
Spare tyres.
by PaulJ
17/02/19 07:48 PM
Wooden floor preservative
by griffo
17/02/19 05:13 PM
Wing Mirror Glass
by Eurosystem0
17/02/19 05:10 PM
Newest Members
Lindsay B, Reckless, nate22, Mike3W, Dutchie55
6364 Registered Users
Shout Box

Forum Stats
6,364 Registered Members
33 Forums
34,242 Topics
549,819 Posts

Most users ever online: 341 @ 11/02/18 10:30 PM
Today's Birthdays
EL77
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#269419 - 22/04/15 11:20 PM Wrapped headers, removed cats and exhaust baffles
Mol Offline
Just Getting Started

Loc: Okemos, Michigan
I wanted to wrap my headers because it was part of the look I am going for with my M3W. To do the job correctly you have to remove the pipes. The thought of doing this was scary for me at first, but I wanted wrapped headers and my friend who was going to wrap them for me said I had to remove the pipes for him to do it. Since I was going to have the pipes off, I decided I might as well remove the cats and baffles as well.

First you remove the O2 sensor.

Loosen the clamp between the pipe and header.

Unbolt the pipe mounts.

Pull the pipes apart by wiggling and twisting. The residue on this joint is Anti-seize. This product keeps metal pieces from corroding together, so that you can get them apart again if you ever need to. Before you reassemble, you will need to completely clean this off with ultra-fine steel wool and reapply a fine fresh coat. A little goes a long way.

Tail pipe removed.

It is really not that difficult to take this off.

... continued in next post...

Edited by Mol (23/04/15 12:31 AM)

#269422 - 22/04/15 11:39 PM Re: Wrapped headers, removed cats and exhaust baffles [Re: Mol]
Mol Offline
Just Getting Started

Removing the headers is not as easy because of inaccessibility. You just have to be patient and know that you can do it.

First you need to bend down the "washer" so you can get the bolts off. This washer is actually not a single washer but goes around both bolts. Use a screwdriver and a hammer to bend it down. Before reassembling you need to flatten the washer out with a hammer. Once installed, you will bend it back up. This keeps the bolts from loosening.

Remove the bolts connecting the headers to the engine. On a couple we found a socket we could fit on. On others I had to use a open faced wrench. It was not easy due to no space to work around, but if I can do it, so can you.

There is a gasket, mine stayed on the engine and was in great shape so I didn't mess with it.

The cat is in that bulgy area toward the end of the header pipe.

I took a big screwdriver and hammer and beat around between the cat and the pipe until I could get it out. It took me almost an hour. There was a point where I was really questioning my actions but I was past the point of no return so I just kept on working at it. Needle nose pliers come in handy here as well. Keep a garbage bag nearby to put all the little bits of metal in.

Done... clean the pipe real good of all the leftover bits as best as you can and now on to the other side.

Edited by Mol (23/04/15 12:32 AM)

#269424 - 22/04/15 11:53 PM Re: Wrapped headers, removed cats and exhaust baffles [Re: Mol]
Mol Offline
Just Getting Started

Time to wrap the headers. I am lucky to have a friend who used to build customer choppers and has been wrapping pipes for 20 years, He would not let anyone but him wrap my pipes because he wanted it done right.

Wear gloves, if gives you better grip and the wrap can be itchy.

You need a lot of space. You attach the wrap to something really solid and unwind it all (we attached the wrap to my lift way at the other end of the garage). Then you start wrapping applying steady, tight tension the entire time. Darrian Tefft is a master at this. I am so lucky he did this for me for just beer and pizza. (yes, this is our garage)

No, you do not wet the wrap to apply, that just creates a soppy mess.

Darrian, who is a master welder and now teaches welding, used stainless steel welding rod to secure the wrap. This gave it a wonderful Old School look.

#269425 - 23/04/15 12:30 AM Re: Wrapped headers, removed cats and exhaust baffles [Re: Mol]
Mol Offline
Just Getting Started

Removing the baffles from the long pipe:

There are three of these "sound dampening" baffles. One solid plate about where the heat shield starts and two plates with holes in them about where the heat shield ends. You'll need two different sizes of hole saw and a 2 foot long extension. We had to jerry-rig our tool together and it got modified as we went and learned. I ended up taping all the joints together with aluminium tape (very strong) to keep the thing more solid and from pulling apart.

When using the hole saw, go slow. You should be able to count the revolutions as it turns. Going any faster just heats up, and hardens, the baffles and dulls the saw. We ruined two saws on two baffles before Darrian explained this to me. After that we used just one saw on the last 4 baffles and the saw is still viable.

I have no good photos of this step, sorry.

The baffles may need a little poking at to get completely out so you'll want to have something long and solid at hand before starting this project. We ended up scrounging up a long metal bird feeder pole. Hey... it worked. Another baffle was really hangy-on and we could not get it totally out so just bent it back as far as we could. It ended up shooting out of the pipe 30 seconds after we started it up for the first time after the mod.

Now put everything back together. Those bolts connecting the header to the engine were a bitch.

Look how smooth the wrap is. It is 1 inch wrap perfectly "locked" together. The more I look at it the more I can't believe how good it looks.

The wrap stinks for awhile after you install it and patinas quite quickly.

I love the new sound. The sound meter on my phone does not indicate the exhaust is any louder, but it sounds more beefy to me. Mostly the sound is deeper and more throaty. It's got some nice balls now.

Power wise, yes, I can feel a difference. The engine is definitely a lot happier. It's hard to explain the difference, but the mods were totally worth it for me.

I'll post up a video for sound soon.

Now, simply a cool photo for your viewing pleasure... This is from a 1800 mile, in one week, trip to a road known as The Dragon, that we took last year, and we will be doing again in just 3 days:

Edited by Mol (23/04/15 12:56 AM)

#269429 - 23/04/15 01:33 AM Re: Wrapped headers, removed cats and exhaust baffles [Re: Mol]
Squirlz Offline
L - Learner Plates On

I can describe the power difference. I'm her husband. It used to be when you got much over 4000 RPM there were all kinds of cues telling you to upshift. On our shakedown run, I was bombing along , engine singing happily in 3rd gear, and I thought 'I'm going pretty fast for 3rd gear' and I looked down and saw we were doing 5000 RPM! I'm also easily bouncing off the redline when hammering from a stop and getting rubber in 3 gears! We did not anticipate such an improvement.

#269438 - 23/04/15 01:53 AM Re: Wrapped headers, removed cats and exhaust baffles [Re: Mol]
Richard - Aus Offline

Member of the Inner Circle

Loc: Perth, WA, Australia
Wonderful write up and very interesting to read. Great sounding results too it appears.

#269440 - 23/04/15 02:00 AM Re: Wrapped headers, removed cats and exhaust baffles [Re: Mol]
fathergoose Offline
L - Learner Plates On

Loc: Charlotte NC. USA
thanks Squirlz, I think I will be doing this to mine, at some point down the road.

#269445 - 23/04/15 04:24 AM Re: Wrapped headers, removed cats and exhaust baffles [Re: Mol]
deano Offline

Charter Member

Loc: Taunton
Totally agree, great write up and interesting results on the power/smoothness improvement.

#269454 - 23/04/15 07:04 AM Re: Wrapped headers, removed cats and exhaust baffles [Re: Mol]
Jays Offline

Member of the Inner Circle

Loc: Cumbria UK
Great post Mol....just what we need here and in the Club Miscellany...except that they fight shy of publishing it.

Great garage by the way....I'm very envious!!

#269459 - 23/04/15 07:23 AM Re: Wrapped headers, removed cats and exhaust baffles [Re: Mol]
Roger Tapley Offline
Has a lot to Say!

Loc: Kent England
That's what I call dedication to driving pleasure well done!

#269461 - 23/04/15 07:25 AM Re: Wrapped headers, removed cats and exhaust baffles [Re: Jays]
Aeroman Offline

Talk Morgan Guru

Loc: Eton, Berks
+1 - would love to hear the new sound, please post a video.

Morgan SP1 (Rocket Red)
Morgan Plus 8 (Rocket Blue)
Morgan Plus 8 - Moss Box (Black)

#269464 - 23/04/15 07:38 AM Re: Wrapped headers, removed cats and exhaust baffles [Re: Mol]
Waldemar Offline
Dreiradschubser
Learner Plates Off!

Loc: Tuebingen/D & Carantec/F
wonderful story, thanks a lot wine

Achim

#269502 - 23/04/15 09:43 AM Re: Wrapped headers, removed cats and exhaust baffles [Re: Mol]
wiscos Offline
Talk Morgan Regular

Truly great and very helpful. Of course, many parts of the globe we need to leave the cats in to keep the vehicles legal...

#269537 - 23/04/15 01:07 PM Re: Wrapped headers, removed cats and exhaust baffles [Re: Mol]
Mi3Wheeler Offline

Talk Morgan Enthusiast

Loc: Michigan, USA
Good write up, I am excited to hear the difference in person.

#269548 - 23/04/15 01:55 PM Re: Wrapped headers, removed cats and exhaust baffles [Re: Mol]
Smaug Offline
Learner Plates Off!

Loc: G.-D. of Luxembourg
Hi Mol,
super review, will probably be my next project...by the way, thanks again for the 'how to do' on the steering comfort kit. I followed that step by step to do mine, was a pleasure having such quality instuctions for that job.

I can only encourage you to continue, I would suggest to give you a steady Topic named something like "M3W tuning? ...ask Mol" or "Mol's quality' how to' " thumbs

M3W, Super Dry edition, sep. 2013 ...called 'DogNose'

#269557 - 23/04/15 02:19 PM Re: Wrapped headers, removed cats and exhaust baffles [Re: Mol]
MGDave Offline
Learner Plates Off!

Loc: South Ontario, from Lancashire...
Hi Mol, Interesting article hope we get to hear it soon. I see you're heading down to the Dragon again, we are planning to be there next Thursday on our way to Aiken SC for the MOG40 event, on the return trip will be cruising the Snake. Hope we can meet up if you're still in the area.

cheers

#269563 - 23/04/15 02:31 PM Re: Wrapped headers, removed cats and exhaust baffles [Re: Mol]
PaulJ Offline

Talk Morgan Addict

Loc: Somerset, UK
I'm really pleased it worked out and you've improved the car Mol. See, don't take any notice of idiots on public forums - keep doing it your own way.

As a matter of interest, as one or two people have commented, once our cars are three years old, they have to have an annual inspection, which includes a strict emissions test. However, once the test is completed, it is very unlikely that the car will get pulled over for another 12 months, and if the owner has substituted a cat. free pipe, no one would know!

#269567 - 23/04/15 02:42 PM Re: Wrapped headers, removed cats and exhaust baffles [Re: PaulJ]
Smaug Offline
Learner Plates Off!

Loc: G.-D. of Luxembourg
Speaking '3 years inspection and emission test' by freeing the pipes but leaving the cat in place would it have in incidence on the CO2 emissions? ...and does it affect the noiselevel ( gain not the more bassy sound)? listening

M3W, Super Dry edition, sep. 2013 ...called 'DogNose'

#269597 - 23/04/15 04:11 PM Re: Wrapped headers, removed cats and exhaust baffles [Re: Mi3Wheeler]
Squirlz Offline
L - Learner Plates On

Originally Posted By Mi3Wheeler
Good write up, I am excited to hear the difference in person.

We were just thinking at the MSU car show; you haven't even seen her car yet!

#269610 - 23/04/15 05:43 PM Re: Wrapped headers, removed cats and exhaust baffles [Re: Mol]
Mi3Wheeler Offline

Talk Morgan Enthusiast

Loc: Michigan, USA
Technically we have seen it at the last two MSU car shows, but every time you had a massive crowd around you.

#269612 - 23/04/15 05:45 PM Re: Wrapped headers, removed cats and exhaust baffles [Re: Mol]
RedThree Offline

Talk Morgan Expert

Loc: Furry Boots City
Good write up - hadn't thought of tying off the wrap and winding the header towards it. It's amazing just how easy it is to take off and replace the headers after you've done it for the first time though.
As for the cats; I'll be leaving mine in but if I manage to acquire a set of headers that don't have them so that there can be an annual swap for the MOT then...

#370729 - 14/06/16 02:59 PM Re: Wrapped headers, removed cats and exhaust baffles [Re: Mol]
Draggin Offline

Talk Morgan Expert

Loc: Detroit, Michigan, USA
Hypothetically i wonder what size hole saws?

1968 Honda CL175,and 2012 Enfield for sale

#370750 - 14/06/16 04:14 PM Re: Wrapped headers, removed cats and exhaust baffles [Re: Mol]
KenShapiro Offline
Has a lot to Say!

Loc: Baltimore, Maryland USA
Done quite a few wraps. Never heard of or considered removing the headers to accomplish it.

2014 BMW R9T

#370764 - 14/06/16 05:04 PM Re: Wrapped headers, removed cats and exhaust baffles [Re: KenShapiro]
Draggin Offline

Talk Morgan Expert

Loc: Detroit, Michigan, USA
Originally Posted By KenShapiro
Done quite a few wraps. Never heard of or considered removing the headers to accomplish it.

I think they were off to pull the cats, and once off, why not wrap them without the suspension in the way?

1968 Honda CL175,and 2012 Enfield for sale

#370775 - 14/06/16 05:44 PM Re: Wrapped headers, removed cats and exhaust baffles [Re: PaulJ]
Chris99 Offline

Talk Morgan Expert

Loc: West Sussex, UK
Originally Posted By PaulJ
As a matter of interest, as one or two people have commented, once our cars are three years old, they have to have an annual inspection, which includes a strict emissions test. However, once the test is completed, it is very unlikely that the car will get pulled over for another 12 months, and if the owner has substituted a cat. free pipe, no one would know!

Great post and the dragon looks an awesome bit of road.

For info, a 3 wheeler does not require a UK MOT emissions test - confirmed by Andymot (our "tame" MOT tester) with a link to the MOT regulations in another thread.

#370813 - 14/06/16 08:21 PM Re: Wrapped headers, removed cats and exhaust baffles [Re: Draggin]
KenShapiro Offline
Has a lot to Say!

Loc: Baltimore, Maryland USA
Originally Posted By Draggin
Originally Posted By KenShapiro

I think they were off to pull the cats, and once off, why not wrap them without the suspension in the way?

I would agree but that's not what he said.

2014 BMW R9T

#557012 - 31/01/19 05:58 PM Re: Wrapped headers, removed cats and exhaust baffles [Re: Mol]
06032 Offline
Just Getting Started

Loc: CT, USA
I realize this is an old thread. But I'm curious if removal of the cats and baffles plus the addition of a less restrictive intake, a) essentially results in a 'MMC Stage 1' upgrade, b) if it requires an ECU tune or does the (US-spec) ECU have enough bandwidth to adapt, and c) if a G56 Stage 2 upgrade that includes an ECU tune would be happy layering on top of the 'homemade' Stage 1.

Asked another way, would this mod save the cost of a Stage 1, particularly if the goal is Stage 2 anyway?

#557120 - 01/02/19 10:08 AM Re: Wrapped headers, removed cats and exhaust baffles [Re: Mol]
rockabilly john Offline
Talk Morgan Regular

Loc: London uk
Don't you need the Cam upgrade to accomplish this?

#557166 - 01/02/19 12:48 PM Re: Wrapped headers, removed cats and exhaust baffles [Re: rockabilly john]
Chris99 Offline

Talk Morgan Expert

There's a bit of inconsistency in the stages depending on whether you are talking MMC, G56 or Krazy Horse. Basically the standard ECU should be OK until you upgrade to the 569 cams.

MMC/G56:

Stage 1: Exhaust and air filter, fine with standard ECU
Stage 2: Add upgraded cams and ECU

KH:

Stage 1: Exhaust and air filter, retain standard ECU
Stage 2: Add ECU and dyno tune
Stage 3: Add cams and dyno tune
Stage 4: Add 128ci big bore kit, roller rockers, ported cylinder head, throttle bodies, high flow injectors and dyno tune

#557182 - 01/02/19 01:26 PM Re: Wrapped headers, removed cats and exhaust baffles [Re: rockabilly john]
06032 Offline
Just Getting Started

Originally Posted By rockabilly john
Originally Posted By rockabilly john

Correct. Which includes an ECU reflashed for the cams, so wouldn't it assume the engine is breathing better too and factor that increased air flow into its equation?

So if the goal is Stage 2, why not just help the engine breath better on your own? If the noise proves unacceptable, buy a set of Stage 1 pipes. Does this make sense? I'm trying to figure out why a MMC Stage 1 is worth $2k.....

#557211 - 01/02/19 03:20 PM Re: Wrapped headers, removed cats and exhaust baffles [Re: Mol]
Bitsobrits Offline
Just Getting Started

Loc: SW Iowa, U.S.A.
Something to keep in mind with upgrades is that while the factory "locked" ECU is adaptive to a large degree, the adaptive fuel/spark maps it creates are lost when the ECU is disconnected from power i.e. the battery is disconnected. It will of course "re-learn" the current engine set up on re-connection, but that takes some time/miles.

The "unlocked" ECU gives you the option of merging the "learned" adaptive maps with the baseline map, thus creating a new baseline map stored in non-volatile memory. Adaptation to changing conditions still occurs, but referenced to the new baseline.
2012 M3W #458
SW Iowa

#557214 - 01/02/19 03:28 PM Re: Wrapped headers, removed cats and exhaust baffles [Re: Bitsobrits]
M3W55 Offline
L - Learner Plates On

My Stage 1 is being done at the factory while it is there for other work. MMC insist on an ECU reflash for that. Is there any notable benefit, since it seems that most Stage 1 adopters on TM seem to get by without touching the ECU?

#557224 - 01/02/19 04:06 PM Re: Wrapped headers, removed cats and exhaust baffles [Re: Bitsobrits]
Chris99 Offline

Talk Morgan Expert

Originally Posted By Bitsobrits
Something to keep in mind with upgrades is that while the factory "locked" ECU is adaptive to a large degree, the adaptive fuel/spark maps it creates are lost when the ECU is disconnected from power i.e. the battery is disconnected. It will of course "re-learn" the current engine set up on re-connection, but that takes some time/miles.

I've used a battery disconnect when not using the car since new and never had any issue with the ECU "forgetting" the adaptive settings - either when standard, Stage 1 or, as now, KH stage 3.

I ran the standard ECU with the MMC Stage 1 and switched to a KH unlocked ECU when I had the cams upgraded.

#557244 - 01/02/19 04:40 PM Re: Wrapped headers, removed cats and exhaust baffles [Re: M3W55]
06032 Offline
Just Getting Started

Originally Posted By M3W55
My Stage 1 is being done at the factory while it is there for other work. MMC insist on an ECU reflash for that. Is there any notable benefit, since it seems that most Stage 1 adopters on TM seem to get by without touching the ECU?

After hearing mixed messages on this topic between the forum and dealer, I contacted the factory in Oct. and was informed that an ECU flash was 'most probably' unnecessary for Stage 1.

In contrast, my US dealer feels its 'likely' necessary due to the already lean nature of the mixture to meet DOT requirements but not 100% sure. The only consensus seems to be that if you don't reflash and the ECU triggers a fault code, it's time to reflash.

Personally, if I weren't interested in Stage 2 (cams) and sure I'd hold firm at MMC Stage 1, I'd take the reflash to be sure. But at the absurd quoted $2k for a set of Stage 1 pipes, filter and minimal ECU tune, I can't help wonder if the true value play is the path I'm considering.

BTW, my battery is disconnected for the winter. I would imagine that once reconnected with a homemade Stage 1, it wouldn't take long to discover if this theory holds. Unfortunately, I haven't heard that Stage 1's are shipping yet and I'm impatient.

#557258 - 01/02/19 05:07 PM Re: Wrapped headers, removed cats and exhaust baffles [Re: Chris99]
Bitsobrits Offline
Just Getting Started

[/quote]
I've used a battery disconnect when not using the car since new and never had any issue with the ECU "forgetting" the adaptive settings - either when standard, Stage 1 or, as now, KH stage 3.
[/quote]

That the adaptive maps are stored in volatile memory and lost upon power disconnect is not conjecture on my part or internet lore-I took that information from the S & S Protune manual page 87 paragraph 9.5.

In your case I would imagine the adaptation was slight enough you did not notice the change and/or the new maps built quickly enough to mask the change.

In my own car, after a change to a cat-less straight through exhaust, the change from adaptive maps to baseline map after using the battery disconnect was quite noticeable, and it took 15-20 miles of running for the engine to return to its previous happy self. Merging the maps eliminated this. In all I did three maps merges after 100+ mile variable condition drives. The last one showed minimal change from the 2nd one, so I've stopped there. The Protune software allows you to visually and numerically compare maps, assuming you saved your previous versions

Edited by Bitsobrits (01/02/19 05:15 PM)
2012 M3W #458
SW Iowa

#557300 - 01/02/19 07:29 PM Re: Wrapped headers, removed cats and exhaust baffles [Re: Bitsobrits]
kankeL Offline
L - Learner Plates On

Loc: Aptos, CA
Steve, did you purchase the ECU from Garage56? Was the installation straightforward?

#557366 - 01/02/19 09:57 PM Re: Wrapped headers, removed cats and exhaust baffles [Re: kankeL]
Bitsobrits Offline
Just Getting Started

Originally Posted By kankeL
Steve, did you purchase the ECU from Garage56? Was the installation straightforward?

Yes, from G56, with the fan kit upgrade installed, even though I don't have the fan kit yet. While I wouldn't call the installation easy, it was straightforward. Straightforward because you just unplug it (battery disconnected!) and remove the two mounting screws. It's not easy because getting to the two mounting screw involved working around tightly grouped wiring, and the connector I was finally able to remove from underneath the dash after removing the center under dash trim pad. I would also say a ball end hex key is required for the mounting bolts due to angle constraints. Seems the ECU is the first thing they mount on the chassis before everything goes on! After installation my speedo didn't work, because in my struggle I had dislodged a wire in the connector from the front wheel sensor. Was easy to fix (just push it home) but took a bit of internet searching to find some clues on why speedos stop working, and therefore which wires to examine.

It occurred to me at the time I should build a small sleeve/box to mount that would allow the ECU to just slip out. Didn't want to take the time.

The port for plugging in the computer cable is fairly accessible, but has very small screws you must not lose. During my driving/tuning weekend I left the cable plugged in with a cap over the computer end when not in use. Kept the risk for screw loss to a minimum.
2012 M3W #458
SW Iowa

#557383 - 01/02/19 10:46 PM Re: Wrapped headers, removed cats and exhaust baffles [Re: Bitsobrits]
kankeL Offline
L - Learner Plates On

Loc: Aptos, CA
Originally Posted By Bitsobrits
Originally Posted By kankeL

Yes, from G56, with the fan kit upgrade installed, even though I don't have the fan kit yet. While I wouldn't call the installation easy, it was straightforward. Straightforward because you just unplug it (battery disconnected!) and remove the two mounting screws. It's not easy because getting to the two mounting screw involved working around tightly grouped wiring, and the connector I was finally able to remove from underneath the dash after removing the center under dash trim pad. I would also say a ball end hex key is required for the mounting bolts due to angle constraints. Seems the ECU is the first thing they mount on the chassis before everything goes on! After installation my speedo didn't work, because in my struggle I had dislodged a wire in the connector from the front wheel sensor. Was easy to fix (just push it home) but took a bit of internet searching to find some clues on why speedos stop working, and therefore which wires to examine.

It occurred to me at the time I should build a small sleeve/box to mount that would allow the ECU to just slip out. Didn't want to take the time.

The port for plugging in the computer cable is fairly accessible, but has very small screws you must not lose. During my driving/tuning weekend I left the cable plugged in with a cap over the computer end when not in use. Kept the risk for screw loss to a minimum.

Thanks! Will order myself a new ECU wink

#557391 - 01/02/19 11:57 PM Re: Wrapped headers, removed cats and exhaust baffles [Re: 06032]
Chris99 Offline

Talk Morgan Expert

Originally Posted By 06032
But at the absurd quoted $2k for a set of Stage 1 pipes, filter and minimal ECU tune

This would include a new, unlocked ECU as the standard one can only be reflashed with a MMC file.

So the $2k probably breaks down to approx $800 exhaust, $800 ECU and $400 air filter and fixings

#557482 - 02/02/19 04:57 PM Re: Wrapped headers, removed cats and exhaust baffles [Re: Mol]
2Sharp Offline
L - Learner Plates On

When you install your new ecu I would suggest ditching the screws in favor of Velcro. Unfortunately I figured this out after fitting the new ecu.

I have not played around with the software but likely need to to merge the maps.

It is hard to tell what did what but the engine is transformed to me as the power is much more linear and the below 3k feels much more lively. I had the factory stage 1 which was good but much better now.

It is a shame we don’t have a tuner like the two options in the UK in the US

#557657 - 03/02/19 01:15 PM Re: Wrapped headers, removed cats and exhaust baffles [Re: Chris99]
06032 Offline
Just Getting Started

Originally Posted By 2Sharp
When you install your new ecu I would suggest ditching the screws in favor of Velcro. Unfortunately I figured this out after fitting the new ecu.

I have not played around with the software but likely need to to merge the maps.

It is hard to tell what did what but the engine is transformed to me as the power is much more linear and the below 3k feels much more lively. I had the factory stage 1 which was good but much better now.

It is a shame we don’t have a tuner like the two options in the UK in the US

Originally Posted By Chris99
Originally Posted By 06032
But at the absurd quoted $2k for a set of Stage 1 pipes, filter and minimal ECU tune

This would include a new, unlocked ECU as the standard one can only be reflashed with a MMC file.

So the $2k probably breaks down to approx $800 exhaust, $800 ECU and $400 air filter and fixings

Not exactly. The quote includes sending my own ECU back to MMC for a reflash. What makes more sense to me is $1200 for Stage 1 (pipes and filter alone) plus the components of Stage 2 with the unlocked ECU all in one go. Doesn't make sense to pay for the ECU twice. Am I missing something?

#557860 - 04/02/19 01:44 PM Re: Wrapped headers, removed cats and exhaust baffles [Re: Mol]
rockabilly john Offline
Talk Morgan Regular

Loc: London uk
Hi Molly, what wrap did hoy use?
Thanks.
John.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Aeroman