Click here to return to the home page.
Morgan 3 Wheeler
Who's Online
2 registered (sospan, Kolvites), 33 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
out today
Turbo Plus 4 - final report
Sunny Shropshire!
As Ordered
Spring in Norway
Newest Topics
Longterm Storage
by Michael H
Yesterday at 10:57 PM
Looks familiar
by Gambalunga
Yesterday at 10:27 PM
Have you deleted your Google search history?
by Gambalunga
Yesterday at 02:24 PM
Ecoboost Plus 4 - postscript
by griffo
Yesterday at 01:25 PM
Liberation Day (Italy)
by Gambalunga
Yesterday at 10:54 AM
URGENT INFO - 15 Rooms Released MOG19 Dunston Hall
by BuyBritish
Yesterday at 07:00 AM
Pensioner perks to be scrapped?
by Fuel.inj
Yesterday at 06:27 AM
Newest Members
Andy Hatch, Toyracer59, Roxy Plus4, RobCol, Rsglush
6471 Registered Users
Shout Box

Forum Stats
6,471 Registered Members
33 Forums
34,871 Topics
562,855 Posts

Most users ever online: 341 @ 11/02/18 10:30 PM
Today's Birthdays
adrian, Brian Martin, olive64, urs
Page 5 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#256895 - 03/03/15 03:00 PM Re: Catalytic converter removal [Re: BurqueDOKA]
Mol Offline
Just Getting Started

Loc: Okemos, Michigan
Originally Posted By BurqueDOKA
No welding! This is a very easy job. The exhaust comes off in 20 mins or so, and I'd remove the whole thing as there is some hammering involved to chisel the cat material out of their chambers. You could remove the headers and leave the rear pipes on, but I ran into a little difficulty separating the two pipe sections at the joint rear of the cats as there is some type of sealant in there that acts like a glue. So I'd pull the whole system off the car to spare it from bumps and scratches. Once separated, it's smooth sailing.

It's not really a sealant per se, it is anti-seize. It keeps metal pieces (in this case the front and rear pipes) from corroding together, so that you can get them apart again if you ever need to.

I just wrapped my headers and removed the cats and baffles and will post a new thread about it soon. I'm not completely done with the project yet.

#257039 - 03/03/15 11:35 PM Re: Catalytic converter removal [Re: PaulJ]
PaulJ Offline

Talk Morgan Addict

Loc: Somerset, UK
Originally Posted By PaulJ
Great that you are trying it, but I suspect it will be a lot of work for nothing. When I had my old 260bhp Caterham, I removed the rather large Cat, and replaced it with a section of straight through pipe, and have to say, that apart from looking much better, there was no discernable change in exhasut note or noise, nor did I notice any HP gain in day to day driving.

I probably won't bother, I quite like the volume and quality of the exhaust noise just as it is. That's at least one thing I'm happy with!

#269393 - 22/04/15 10:09 PM Re: Catalytic converter removal [Re: PaulJ]
Mol Offline
Just Getting Started

Great that you are trying it, but I suspect it will be a lot of work for nothing. When I had my old 260bhp Caterham, I removed the rather large Cat, and replaced it with a section of straight through pipe, and have to say, that apart from looking much better, there was no discernable change in exhasut note or noise, nor did I notice any HP gain in day to day driving.

I probably won't bother, I quite like the volume and quality of the exhaust noise just as it is. That's at least one thing I'm happy with!

I was attempting to become more active on this forum, but this reply totally sapped me of my enthusiasm to participate and share. Not only was I shot down, it was done with a quote that was already used to shoot someone else down. That made me feel pretty bad.

My husband keeps encouraging me to share my recent mods. I am a woman M3W owner... I am probably about the most enthusiastic owner out there, and though I have never worked on cars before, I work on my M3W myself. I am quite proud of that fact, and I've decided I'm not going to let someone guessing my work is for nothing keep me from sharing with those who might be interested

That said, my mods to my exhaust greatly improved the sound and performance of my M3W. The mod was totally worth it.

Here's my addition to this thread. I will start a new thread covering the entire exhaust mod and header wraps.

Using a long screwdriver and hammer I removed the cats. It was a little scary at first and took almost an hour.

Top side of the cat was pretty beat up by the time I got it out. Needle nose pliers came in handy as well. Keep a garbage bag nearby because there will be a lot of little pieces of metal created.

Bottom side of the cat just so you can see what it looks like.

#269402 - 22/04/15 10:37 PM Re: Catalytic converter removal [Re: BurqueDOKA]
The Seeker Offline
Has a lot to Say!

Loc: Chicago, Il, USA
Not shot down, Mol. Took a round or two in the tail.

Keep on thinking free ...

Tally Ho !

thumbs cheers

2013 M3W # 793
'Mosquito'

#269405 - 22/04/15 10:41 PM Re: Catalytic converter removal [Re: BurqueDOKA]
nippymog Offline

Has a lot to Say!

Loc: Cheshire, UK
Keep up the great work !

#269423 - 22/04/15 11:48 PM Re: Catalytic converter removal [Re: BurqueDOKA]
PaulJ Offline

Talk Morgan Addict

Loc: Somerset, UK
Oh hell Mol, please don't think I was in any way denigrating what you have been doing, that was not the intention of my posting, rather just to give my experience, admittedly with a different car.

I love reading your posts and what you have been doing, and would like to hear more, like the rest of us, when you are ready to tell us. It is so unusual, in this mans world, to find a woman who genuinely loves the Three Wheeler.

#269426 - 23/04/15 12:39 AM Re: Catalytic converter removal [Re: BurqueDOKA]
fathergoose Offline
L - Learner Plates On

Loc: Charlotte NC. USA
Mol love your videos on youtube. wish you would do more. my morgan came out of production last week. hope to get her soon.but i have been curious about removing the catalytic converter and baffes myself. can you tell a increase in hp, or just torque. or both. and how much more louder is it. I find the factory spec is plenty loud.

#269443 - 23/04/15 03:44 AM Re: Catalytic converter removal [Re: fathergoose]
Mol Offline
Just Getting Started

If you want, I will make more videos. All I need to know is people like them, then it is worth the effort on my part. I own my own business and my work load is large; it's hard to find time for extra stuff like this, but I enjoy doing it when I can fit it in. We're heading out for a big trip in 3 days and I am taking my GoPro :-)

Edited by Mol (23/04/15 03:44 AM)

#269450 - 23/04/15 06:52 AM Re: Catalytic converter removal [Re: BurqueDOKA]
Grockle Offline
Learner Plates Off!

Loc: North West Devon
Mol the Anglophine
Dont do it for others, do it for you, do it because it's fun.
Look forward to the next update. Safe trip.

Morgan M3W blog - westmog http://goo.gl/h0nkXG

#269504 - 23/04/15 09:46 AM Re: Catalytic converter removal [Re: Grockle]
R1NGA Offline

Talk Morgan Regular

Loc: Guildford, UK
Mol - I did the same as you and noticed the same improvements as you too. I do believe that the tiny CATs in the headers are a restriction to flow and were what looks like an afterthought, despite always being a mandatory part of the design.

Caterham Se7ens have very good performance CATs on them - but just look at the size of the things! In fact any performance CAT is huge if it is going to work efficiently - which is exactly what the M3W CATs aren't. So top work and if you don't need them for annual technical inspections, then so much the better!

An M3W with high-flow CATs however would look very different, which is what drove the current design of course.

Page 5 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  Aeroman