You'll have seen from my first 'chapter' that the making and fitting of the rear wing protectors was very straightforward. This was because the wing stays are perfectly positioned and at the right angle.
The fronts are far from easy. The stays are too low and the upper stay of the pair each side twists twice between chassis and wing.
This has provided a real challenge and I’ve been on (and off) this problem since September. I always try to fit things without drilling if at all possible - it's too easy to get carried away with a drill!!!! My first attempt at making brackets to fit the protectors to the stays (using one penny washer on each bracket) failed dismally. The angles allowed the brackets to slip off. I tried a Mark2 version with a penny washer each side of the stays, but this looked unwieldy and clumsy. Each attempt means measuring & cutting the stainless bar, and drilling reasonably accurate holes. Stainless is a pig to work with as anyone who has done so will know.
Anyway, next I tried a double skinned approach with an angled piece to allow the use of one penny washer to each bracket. This arrangement is held in place with double sided tape but once fitted is held by the bolts. I used Maplin’s two foot stainless ruler for this once more. It’s a very handy source of stainless bar, and I’m on my third now! The first picture shows the Mk3 brackets – note the two different angles. Two are right angled and two are around 120degrees. These brackets are the original Mark1’s which have had pieces of the Mark2 added.
The next photo shows two brackets with nuts, bolts & washers.
Next we have the wing protectors. Made in the same way as the rears, a large printed circuit board from Maplins, which is something like fibreglass with a thin copper layer, and exactly the right size without cutting. On the side facing the wheel is my favourite ‘closed cell Neoprene’, cut to shape. You can just see in this shot that I’ve added a small tab made from aluminium to shield the rubber from the exhaust. This is bolted on to the protector, and is more apparent in later shots.
On the other side which faces the Cat, I’ve placed the copper side of the circuit board onto which is glued a thermal barrier silver weave from ‘Agriemach’. This is to make sure there’s no potential for heat damage from the Cats – which are quite close.
Here are the two brackets fitted to the offside.
And here’s the protector fitted.
You can see from this ‘in line’ shot that the protector sits behind the side indicator. I wondered if a fastener would be needed higher up, but it seem OK. I’ll keep an eye on it for a while just to be on the safe side.
This is how it looks from behind. The camera angle makes it look sloped, but it is horizontal. Note the proximity of the Cat.
Here’s a photo of the finished product. Still jacked up, hence the larger than normal gap from tyre to arch.