Click here to return to the home page.
Image of a road.
Who's Online
5 registered (Hamwich, Crunchie Gears, RB1, The Austrian, Frank K), 97 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
SwanMog Christmas party
Finished Plus 4 Side View
Mkiss Mog +4 fourseater
Management of cooling air flow
Morgan Rutherford Modsports +8
Newest Topics
12 volt wiring help please!
by Fat Wolfie
15/01/19 07:09 PM
Ford VW Alliance confirmed
by +8Rich
15/01/19 06:56 PM
Spotted this web site
by Jack The Lad
15/01/19 02:43 PM
Jubilee Sailing Trust
by Gambalunga
15/01/19 02:13 PM
Just in case....
by Gambalunga
15/01/19 02:07 PM
nc 500 advice
by B3MOG
14/01/19 08:25 PM
Towing a trailer in France
by Island Mog
14/01/19 08:18 PM
Newest Members
PJS, 250swb, Mkiss, jacquesj, Dodger
6332 Registered Users
Shout Box

Forum Stats
6,332 Registered Members
33 Forums
33,973 Topics
543,315 Posts

Most users ever online: 341 @ 11/02/18 10:30 PM
Today's Birthdays
olleyjp, tarutino
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#289624 - 19/07/15 08:01 PM Need help from connoisseurs
MarioCP Offline
Has a lot to Say!

Loc: Lisboa, Portugal
I'm seriously considering this to be my next Morgan project:

I'm posting this in a private forum because I don't want my so far "platonic" interest to be known ... yet.

The car is advertized as being a 1954 Plus 4, somnething I don't think can be accurate (54 cars, as far as I know, aren't flat rads anymore). Maybe it was registered in Portugal in 1954 but it surely is an earlier model.

The dash, apart from the instruments panel, is missing, and I suspect much more is missing too. Still have to check the car with detail, so far I just passed by it and merely glanced as if it was of no interest to me. And of course I went to see it driving a Renault wink

Now, can the most knowledgeable here tell me if this is a good base for a restauration project. Not to sell, mind you, I won't sell cars (or bikes) I love, so all costs will not be regarded as investment, they will simply be ... costs.

And this brings me to the most pressing questions:

1 - Can anyone tell me if this is a true Morgan? In that case, what model, year, engine or anytghing else interesting from the pictures? Has it been spoiled with pieces from different models/years/specs?

2 - Considering its condition (from what can be detected through the pictures), what is a reasonable price for this "as is"?

3 - Lastly, and most importantly, is it very difficult and/or costly to restore this? Are there parts available (engine, mechanical, body, lights) ?

Many thanks for all input you might give me on this.

To be raced

#289632 - 19/07/15 08:38 PM Re: Need help from connoisseurs [Re: MarioCP]
Jack The Lad Offline
Posting Desperado
Talk Morgan Guru

Loc: The frozen North
To start with why not get hold of the chassis and engine number then contact Morgan to check it out .Anyway of checking its history ie the owner and past owners from the who is selling it should give you some info . Ask for a look at any file on it and write down the details then look in the rear of miscellany and start your enquiry with the lads in there . Get in touch with a flat rad owner for details and e-mail photos . But remember thats 62 year ago so you can expect changes in some things.

#289635 - 19/07/15 08:55 PM Re: Need help from connoisseurs [Re: MarioCP]
AJSki2fly Offline
Drive on the Wild Side
Part of the Furniture

Loc: Seaton, Devon, UK
The wings look a bit odd to me, maybe someone had some made when the old ones failed, I only say this as I was parked up next to a drop head coupe 1938 a few weeks ago, if it is a Mog I think it is older than you think,unless someone has been creating an old look retro one. If it stacks up could be a nice buy.
"Rosie in Blue" (Aero S1)
Red Rosie (3.7 Roadster)
Rosie the Plus 8

#289637 - 19/07/15 08:57 PM Re: Need help from connoisseurs [Re: MarioCP]
Ray Offline

Talk Morgan Addict

Loc: Llanelli
It all looks Morgan, its a DHC model which at that age would have a standard vanguard engine fitted, Think they were made to 1953 so a delay in registering it could easily happen. PS and the starter motor fan belt look correct for the age. Being a+ 4 it can not be older than 1951.The older series1 was a completely different car.

Edited by Ray (19/07/15 09:07 PM)

#289662 - 19/07/15 10:02 PM Re: Need help from connoisseurs [Re: MarioCP]
MOG 615 Offline
Has a lot to Say!

Loc: London
I have owned 3 +4s including a 1951 Flat Rad, so I have some experience.

The engine is certainly a 2088cc Standard Vanguard , which would be correct for a 1951 to 1953/4 (?) car.

My flat rad was a roadster, not a DHC so I don't know so much about the bodywork.

Is all the running gear complete , the gear lever looks right for a Moss Box (which will be a wide ratio 4 speed) , is the back axle there and a Salisbury 3HA?

The rear springs feed through trunnions on the crossmember that the spare wheels are mounted upon. These were sometimes converted to the later type with shackles at both ends.

A new dashboard is no problem , and you have almost a complete set of the instruments which are very difficult to source. There are no photos of the seats or the interior, even if not these parts are relatively easy to find.

In fact it looks like you have an almost complete car there , with only a few small bits and pieces missing (wipers, wiring loom, headlights, taillights, etc and no doubt many others that I cannot see from the pictures) Most of these would be available (but you might have to hunt pretty hard), or could be made for you by craftsmen in the Uk , but I know nothing about the local scene in Portugal

I cannot date it accurately without some more information.

As to price I would be totally out of order to even hazard a guess, especially in Portugal (or Holland)

It would be a tremendous projected one that will repay you handsomely with a great car , make no mistake , this is quite a find (in my opinion)

Good luck in securing it.

#289663 - 19/07/15 10:04 PM Re: Need help from connoisseurs [Re: MarioCP]
Richard - Aus Offline

Member of the Inner Circle

Loc: Perth, WA, Australia
Looks solid enough (from the photos) to make a good basis of a project. May well end up putting in more than you will ever get out....

I would call Melvyn Rutter for input; if you do buy he'll become your friend as you will need his parts!

#289801 - 20/07/15 03:51 PM Re: Need help from connoisseurs [Re: MarioCP]
MarioCP Offline
Has a lot to Say!

Many thanks all, will consider all advice received from "yous". Maybe I'm trying to bite more than I can chew but nothing is decided and a closer look is needed.
To be raced

#289934 - 20/07/15 11:16 PM Re: Need help from connoisseurs [Re: MarioCP]
Dean-Royal Offline

Talk Morgan Addict

Loc: UK (up north)
I cannot help with your Morgan history file but I would certainly like to know more about the Alfa next to it and if it is also for sale

#290010 - 21/07/15 12:09 PM Re: Need help from connoisseurs [Re: Dean-Royal]
Burgundymog Offline

Talk Morgan Addict

Loc: Essex
Originally Posted By Dean-Royal
I cannot help with your Morgan history file but I would certainly like to know more about the Alfa next to it and if it is also for sale

Be very careful Dean, I know they say every man should own at least one Alfa but to own more than one at the same time is foolhardy. Here speaks a man who once owned 3 at the same time and lived to rue the day hide

#290015 - 21/07/15 01:01 PM Re: Need help from connoisseurs [Re: MarioCP]
MarioCP Offline
Has a lot to Say!

LOL, Keith you know the saying (I think it's internationally known), I'll try to translate the portuguese version:

"Ownership of an Alfa Romeo makes a man feel elated twice. On the day he buys it and on the day he sells it."

Joking, of course, but funny wink

Dean that Alfa is not for sale. If this changes I will let you know.
To be raced

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Aeroman, Boshly, Simon