Click here to return to the home page.
Image of a road.
Who's Online
1 registered (JoeSpeetjens), 105 Guests and 13 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
Driving the Blue Ridge just south of Roanoke
Searching for somewhere scenic...
Custom made storage box for luggage rack
Southern Weather comes North
Island of Muhu in the rain
Newest Topics
This little vid has popped up on YouTube
by Stewart S
Yesterday at 08:21 PM
It's a go.
by meabh
Yesterday at 02:23 PM
Piston Heads Tues Evening
by lowebird
Yesterday at 10:08 AM
Wow - A message for 3 Wheeler owners from MMC
by PaulV
18/06/19 07:22 PM
A message for 3 Wheeler owners from MMC
by TalkMorgan
18/06/19 07:16 PM
A message for 3 Wheeler owners from MMC
by TalkMorgan
18/06/19 07:15 PM
Fabulous "proper" Mini for sale....price WOW
by MDS61
18/06/19 06:30 PM
Newest Members
PaulyG, René, Bodensee-Mog, Pip, jakexj9000
6556 Registered Users
Shout Box

Forum Stats
6,556 Registered Members
33 Forums
35,402 Topics
571,268 Posts

Most users ever online: 341 @ 11/02/18 10:30 PM
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#289624 - 19/07/15 08:01 PM Need help from connoisseurs
MarioCP Offline
Talk Morgan Enthusiast

Loc: Lisboa, Portugal
I'm seriously considering this to be my next Morgan project:

I'm posting this in a private forum because I don't want my so far "platonic" interest to be known ... yet.

The car is advertized as being a 1954 Plus 4, somnething I don't think can be accurate (54 cars, as far as I know, aren't flat rads anymore). Maybe it was registered in Portugal in 1954 but it surely is an earlier model.

The dash, apart from the instruments panel, is missing, and I suspect much more is missing too. Still have to check the car with detail, so far I just passed by it and merely glanced as if it was of no interest to me. And of course I went to see it driving a Renault wink

Now, can the most knowledgeable here tell me if this is a good base for a restauration project. Not to sell, mind you, I won't sell cars (or bikes) I love, so all costs will not be regarded as investment, they will simply be ... costs.

And this brings me to the most pressing questions:

1 - Can anyone tell me if this is a true Morgan? In that case, what model, year, engine or anytghing else interesting from the pictures? Has it been spoiled with pieces from different models/years/specs?

2 - Considering its condition (from what can be detected through the pictures), what is a reasonable price for this "as is"?

3 - Lastly, and most importantly, is it very difficult and/or costly to restore this? Are there parts available (engine, mechanical, body, lights) ?

Many thanks for all input you might give me on this.

To be raced

#289632 - 19/07/15 08:38 PM Re: Need help from connoisseurs [Re: MarioCP]
Jack The Lad Offline
Posting Desperado
Talk Morgan Guru

Loc: The frozen North
To start with why not get hold of the chassis and engine number then contact Morgan to check it out .Anyway of checking its history ie the owner and past owners from the who is selling it should give you some info . Ask for a look at any file on it and write down the details then look in the rear of miscellany and start your enquiry with the lads in there . Get in touch with a flat rad owner for details and e-mail photos . But remember thats 62 year ago so you can expect changes in some things.

#289635 - 19/07/15 08:55 PM Re: Need help from connoisseurs [Re: MarioCP]
AJSki2fly Offline
Drive on the Wild Side
Part of the Furniture

Loc: Seaton, Devon, UK
The wings look a bit odd to me, maybe someone had some made when the old ones failed, I only say this as I was parked up next to a drop head coupe 1938 a few weeks ago, if it is a Mog I think it is older than you think,unless someone has been creating an old look retro one. If it stacks up could be a nice buy.
"Rosie in Blue" (Aero S1)
Red Rosie (3.7 Roadster)
Rosie the Plus 8

#289637 - 19/07/15 08:57 PM Re: Need help from connoisseurs [Re: MarioCP]
Ray Offline

Part of the Furniture

Loc: Llanelli
It all looks Morgan, its a DHC model which at that age would have a standard vanguard engine fitted, Think they were made to 1953 so a delay in registering it could easily happen. PS and the starter motor fan belt look correct for the age. Being a+ 4 it can not be older than 1951.The older series1 was a completely different car.

Edited by Ray (19/07/15 09:07 PM)

#289662 - 19/07/15 10:02 PM Re: Need help from connoisseurs [Re: MarioCP]
MOG 615 Offline

Has a lot to Say!

Loc: London
I have owned 3 +4s including a 1951 Flat Rad, so I have some experience.

The engine is certainly a 2088cc Standard Vanguard , which would be correct for a 1951 to 1953/4 (?) car.

My flat rad was a roadster, not a DHC so I don't know so much about the bodywork.

Is all the running gear complete , the gear lever looks right for a Moss Box (which will be a wide ratio 4 speed) , is the back axle there and a Salisbury 3HA?

The rear springs feed through trunnions on the crossmember that the spare wheels are mounted upon. These were sometimes converted to the later type with shackles at both ends.

A new dashboard is no problem , and you have almost a complete set of the instruments which are very difficult to source. There are no photos of the seats or the interior, even if not these parts are relatively easy to find.

In fact it looks like you have an almost complete car there , with only a few small bits and pieces missing (wipers, wiring loom, headlights, taillights, etc and no doubt many others that I cannot see from the pictures) Most of these would be available (but you might have to hunt pretty hard), or could be made for you by craftsmen in the Uk , but I know nothing about the local scene in Portugal

I cannot date it accurately without some more information.

As to price I would be totally out of order to even hazard a guess, especially in Portugal (or Holland)

It would be a tremendous projected one that will repay you handsomely with a great car , make no mistake , this is quite a find (in my opinion)

Good luck in securing it.

#289663 - 19/07/15 10:04 PM Re: Need help from connoisseurs [Re: MarioCP]
Richard - Aus Offline

Member of the Inner Circle

Loc: Perth, WA, Australia
Looks solid enough (from the photos) to make a good basis of a project. May well end up putting in more than you will ever get out....

I would call Melvyn Rutter for input; if you do buy he'll become your friend as you will need his parts!

#289801 - 20/07/15 03:51 PM Re: Need help from connoisseurs [Re: MarioCP]
MarioCP Offline
Talk Morgan Enthusiast

Many thanks all, will consider all advice received from "yous". Maybe I'm trying to bite more than I can chew but nothing is decided and a closer look is needed.
To be raced

#289934 - 20/07/15 11:16 PM Re: Need help from connoisseurs [Re: MarioCP]
Dean-Royal Offline

Talk Morgan Addict

Loc: UK (up north)
I cannot help with your Morgan history file but I would certainly like to know more about the Alfa next to it and if it is also for sale

#290010 - 21/07/15 12:09 PM Re: Need help from connoisseurs [Re: Dean-Royal]
Burgundymog Offline

Talk Morgan Addict

Loc: Essex
Originally Posted By Dean-Royal
I cannot help with your Morgan history file but I would certainly like to know more about the Alfa next to it and if it is also for sale

Be very careful Dean, I know they say every man should own at least one Alfa but to own more than one at the same time is foolhardy. Here speaks a man who once owned 3 at the same time and lived to rue the day hide

#290015 - 21/07/15 01:01 PM Re: Need help from connoisseurs [Re: MarioCP]
MarioCP Offline
Talk Morgan Enthusiast

LOL, Keith you know the saying (I think it's internationally known), I'll try to translate the portuguese version:

"Ownership of an Alfa Romeo makes a man feel elated twice. On the day he buys it and on the day he sells it."

Joking, of course, but funny wink

Dean that Alfa is not for sale. If this changes I will let you know.
To be raced

#292213 - 29/07/15 06:01 PM Re: Need help from connoisseurs [Re: MarioCP]
Gambalunga Offline

Loc: Mandello del Lario, Lake Como,...
Wow Mario, what a fantastic find. The drophead coupe is always much admired and sort after. They look just fantastic when they are fully restored. If it can be had at a reasonable price I am sure it will give you many hours of frustration to get it all together, followed by years of enjoyment.

Here is an example from Wikimedia

#292315 - 29/07/15 10:39 PM Re: Need help from connoisseurs [Re: Gambalunga]
BobtheTrain Offline

Charter Member

Loc: Renfrewshire
THAT is GORGEOUS.

#292321 - 29/07/15 11:22 PM Re: Need help from connoisseurs [Re: MarioCP]
DaveW Offline
Roadster Guru

Loc: South Yorkshire
Surely not better looking than an ARP 4?

#292330 - 30/07/15 12:16 AM Re: Need help from connoisseurs [Re: MarioCP]
Ray Offline

Part of the Furniture

Yes more classic.

#292331 - 30/07/15 12:16 AM Re: Need help from connoisseurs [Re: DaveW]
BobtheTrain Offline

Charter Member

Loc: Renfrewshire
MUCH (Capitals intended).

#292334 - 30/07/15 01:43 AM Re: Need help from connoisseurs [Re: MarioCP]
MarkB Offline

Has a lot to Say!

Loc: Florida USA
A Plus 4 DHC, Flat Rad, is one of only 117. Especially with matching numbers on the Vanguard. It would be a fairly rare Morgan. Do the math correctly and this could be a good investment, or a very pleasurable car, regardless of the math.

Cheers,

Edited by MarkB (30/07/15 01:44 AM)

1934 SS MX4

#292437 - 30/07/15 01:42 PM Re: Need help from connoisseurs [Re: MarioCP]
MarioCP Offline
Talk Morgan Enthusiast

Thanks all for your input. I have a few problems here I'm trying to solve and of course I can't plunge into this without due consideration.

I have no doubt the car is genuine, although the documentation is missing. Something I can and will easily solve (I know a thing or two about the needed legal and administrative procedures).

Last I went to see it I couldn't find where were the chassis and engine numbers but another visit will solve that (I already queried the portuguese dealer about where to find the numbers and I think he forwarded my query to whoever may know this in the factory).

Now, the problem is that I am unable to "do the math" on this. I already know how much a fully restored Flat Rad DHC +4 might be worth but that is of limited interest to me. If after I'm gone my heirs want or need to sell I hope they get plenty from it. Not too concerned ...

So, what concerns me? Since I never owned a classic, restored or not, I'm in a state of absolute lack of knowledge on how much a full restoration of this car will cost. If I knw that the only thing I need to do is to add to that sum the price I'm willing to pay for the car "as is".

I know you guys have no clue on the prices here in Portugal but please help me out based on the prices in your own countries. Let's say that this car only needs bodywork and mechanical repairing, plus painting. Let's also imagine that this car needs everything else (with the obvious exception of the instruments panel, and even then I'm missing the separate rev counter I see in many flat rad dashes), from mirrors, headlights, bumpers, tail lights, a complete new hood, seats, etc etc etc ...

What then would a full restoration like this cost in your country? I know an exact figure is not possible, but give me an interval. Labour and parts (assume plenty of parts).

Either I get an idea on the full investment or I have two options: a) take the plunge and pray that this doesn't turn out to be a costly mistake; b) give up.

Edited by MarioCP (30/07/15 01:43 PM)
To be raced

#292448 - 30/07/15 02:24 PM Re: Need help from connoisseurs [Re: MarioCP]
AJSki2fly Offline
Drive on the Wild Side
Part of the Furniture

Mario, I would guesstimate that if you go the full deal and get someone to do a full body off restoration, replacing/repairing chassis, fixing panels, respray etc, then at least 15-20k I would guess 5-6k of this would be parts and or refurbishment. Rest labour.

Best way is to list all the things missing or that need replacing, and price them up. It take a garage about 2-3 weeks work time to do body off and chassis replace, obviously elapse may be longer as things go away to be fixed. However if you take the hourly labour rate and have 40hours a week you will need roughly man hours times the hourly rate plus taxes. Over here it would be about 80*120 equal 11520 plus tax.

Hope this helps, why not talk with a restorer or good Mog dealer for a quote

Red Rosie (3.7 Roadster)
Rosie the Plus 8

#292540 - 30/07/15 08:55 PM Re: Need help from connoisseurs [Re: MarioCP]
MarioCP Offline
Talk Morgan Enthusiast

Many thanks Adrian! thumbs
To be raced

#292582 - 30/07/15 10:39 PM Re: Need help from connoisseurs [Re: MarioCP]
Slikdik Offline
Just Getting Started

Loc: California and Colorado, USA
You've got most of the expensive bits with the car. Radiators are near impossible to find. That steering wheel is not being repoped and if it is repairable is worth it's weight in gold. Same with the instruments. Redoing the faces can be really expensive. Don't worry about the rev counter. Most flatrads didn't come with them. Getting a new dash is a slight problem as it's a DHC. Lots more wood there. Body panels and ash frames are fairly easy to obtain/ duplicate. The example of a finished product shown has the wrong color steering wheel and possibly the same with the instruments. That should be an indication of how hard it is to get those items now. I know, we are involved in the restoration of a 1952 +4 right now.

'72 4/4 4 pass
'52 +4 roadster (Shillelagh)

#292598 - 31/07/15 12:49 AM Re: Need help from connoisseurs [Re: MarioCP]
Slikdik Offline
Just Getting Started

The DHCs have a glove box where you would put the rev counter. Roadsters didN't have a second box on the driver's side and could accomodate an optional rev counter.

'72 4/4 4 pass

#292606 - 31/07/15 06:42 AM Re: Need help from connoisseurs [Re: MarioCP]
AJSki2fly Offline
Drive on the Wild Side
Part of the Furniture

Mario, I met a chap today at the fruity shop, he restores classics, saw a lot of pictures of the cars he's done, from MG to Alvis. He's a one man band and the workmanship looked very good. I am going to see him at his workshop 2nd week of Aug. I can ask him about your restoration if you like and what he think? Let me know.
Red Rosie (3.7 Roadster)
Rosie the Plus 8

#293346 - 02/08/15 09:56 PM Re: Need help from connoisseurs [Re: MarioCP]
PhilipNZ Offline
ZK-Mog
Talk Morgan Regular

Loc: Auckland, New Zealand

#293912 - 04/08/15 06:42 PM Re: Need help from connoisseurs [Re: MarioCP]
MarioCP Offline
Talk Morgan Enthusiast

Adrian, I can't justify a restoration in the UK. It's possible that Leo might've seemed to you a "lovely lady mariocp" like in Budster's case (incidentally, Budster couldn't be truer in his choice of words), but I assure you that she's my finance minister and of the strictest germanophile kind. Lovely Lady Schauble is probably nicer than Leo in these matters laugh2

More seriously, yours is a kind offer but if I'm going to do this I will probably do it sourcing parts in the UK, but having the work done here, I suspect the price for labour hours is cheaper down south. And getting the car up there shouldn't be cheap too.

Thanks anyway! smile

PS - Just to be clear, the decision to buy the car isn't made yet, but I'm slowly approaching the danger-zone of fearing that the car has been sold already and at the same time praying that that's the case so my mind can rest ...

PPS - The car hasn't been sold yet waiting

Edited by MarioCP (04/08/15 06:46 PM)
To be raced

#294228 - 05/08/15 04:18 PM Re: Need help from connoisseurs [Re: MarioCP]
MarioCP Offline
Talk Morgan Enthusiast

Not sure if anyone here owns one of these flat rads DHC from the early fifties or if, regardless of ownership, have the knowledge I need, but here goes another call for help.

For all I know, this car is probably from the last gen of flat rads. Being a Plus 4 (if the radiator badge is to be believed) it "should" have a 2088 cc Standard Vanguard Engine.

So, here's the problem: last I went to see the car I couldn't find neither the chassis nor the engine number. Didn't look too hard and it was a bit inconvenient to dismantle the car for it. I did pull up both front seats to see if the cross section of the chassis had anything (that's where you'll find my 2010 Plus 4 chassis number) but to no avail.

I plan to go see the car again next week and I'd like to check the chassis and engine numbers, so here's the help I need: WHERE will I find these numbers? Are they on a plaque that can be removed or are they carved into the chassis structure and engine block? If anyone here can help, much appreciated.
To be raced

#294334 - 05/08/15 11:43 PM Re: Need help from connoisseurs [Re: MarioCP]
Richard - Aus Offline

Loc: Perth, WA, Australia

#294337 - 06/08/15 12:03 AM Re: Need help from connoisseurs [Re: MarioCP]
Ray Offline

Part of the Furniture

Mario, it is a +4.

#294515 - 06/08/15 04:19 PM Re: Need help from connoisseurs [Re: MarioCP]
MarioCP Offline
Talk Morgan Enthusiast

Richard, that's a brilliant link. I've read references to GoMoG but never actually bothered to search it, there's plenty of information to be found in there, thanks to whoever built and keeps that site!

Ray, I'm pretty sure it is, but I do need to be careful because there are no papers, and no license plates. I'm still to talk to the actual owner and to hear from him how he came into ownership of this car. It's a RHD, so I'm not even sure if it is a car originally sold to a portuguese client. I need information, both because I'm about to spend money and because I'm not too interested in buying a car with a "lost" license plate.

To be raced

#294516 - 06/08/15 04:25 PM Re: Need help from connoisseurs [Re: MarioCP]
Hamwich Offline

Talk Morgan Guru

Loc: Gloucestershire, UK
GoMog can indeed be a useful source of information, but you do have to be a bit careful - it was on GoMog that we found the horrific advice to put a metric hydraulic fitting into an imperial female fitting on the basis that 1 / 8" x 24tpi is quite close to 6mm x 1mm pitch!

But you are right, the GoMog webmaster (a chap called Lorne Goldman) has spent many years collecting stuff up from all around the world to populate it, and he deserves recognition for that. It's especially good for early (pre-BMW V8) info.

Edited by Hamwich (06/08/15 04:25 PM)

#294523 - 06/08/15 05:09 PM Re: Need help from connoisseurs [Re: MarioCP]
DaveW Offline
Roadster Guru

I find the tone to be too much headmaster and not enough grandad if you know what I mean.

#294534 - 06/08/15 06:37 PM Re: Need help from connoisseurs [Re: DaveW]
Hamwich Offline

Talk Morgan Guru

Loc: Gloucestershire, UK
Originally Posted By DaveW
I find the tone to be too much headmaster and not enough grandad if you know what I mean.

I know precisely what you mean, Dave! rofl

#294540 - 06/08/15 07:38 PM Re: Need help from connoisseurs [Re: MarioCP]
MarkB Offline

Has a lot to Say!

A couple of notes. It must be a Plus 4, as there were no factory produced 4/4 DHCs (except one, a Series 2 4/4, which had a cowled grill. Not flat rad.) Also, the engine is definitely TR and not Standard Special (e.g. Series 1 4/4)

That being said, it should have the Triumph 2088cc Vanguard Motor and a MOSS box trany. Only if it were a very late Flat Rad (e.g. 1953) could it possibly have the 1991cc TR2 Motor. I am guessing but I might look on the left side of the block for the number plate. Non manifold side.

Cheers,

#296091 - 12/08/15 05:45 PM Re: Need help from connoisseurs [Re: MarioCP]
Slikdik Offline
Just Getting Started

All "P" prefix flatrads came with the Standard engine. Many were converted to TR engines as the Standard engines wore out. Very common upgrade. Probably more have TRs then Standards now.

'72 4/4 4 pass

#296438 - 13/08/15 07:22 PM Re: Need help from connoisseurs [Re: MarioCP]
DaveW Offline
Roadster Guru

Mario

This is Dave Sapp's Flat Rad and if this doesn't make you want one, nothing will!

#296520 - 13/08/15 11:59 PM Re: Need help from connoisseurs [Re: MarioCP]
Ray Offline

Part of the Furniture

Don't forget Dave Sapps car is a series one 4 seater not a +4 DHC, diffrant animals. But it is a beautiful car.

Edited by Ray (14/08/15 12:08 AM)

#296521 - 14/08/15 12:19 AM Re: Need help from connoisseurs [Re: MarioCP]
MarkB Offline

Has a lot to Say!

yes, a lovely S1.

Cheers,

1934 SS MX4

#296523 - 14/08/15 01:51 AM Re: Need help from connoisseurs [Re: MarioCP]
Digimap Offline

Talk Morgan Enthusiast

Loc: Perth/Australia
Mario, this may give you some idea. Have they indicated the price they are looking for the car. Flat Rad For Sale

Full advert Here

Edited by Digimap (14/08/15 01:58 AM)

#296531 - 14/08/15 07:53 AM Re: Need help from connoisseurs [Re: MarioCP]
Stewart S Offline
Wave & smile... It's a Morgan

Loc: Lancashire, England
It is beautiful

#296572 - 14/08/15 10:28 AM Re: Need help from connoisseurs [Re: MarioCP]
Ray Offline

Part of the Furniture

A PROPER MORGAN. stars

#296991 - 15/08/15 10:51 PM Re: Need help from connoisseurs [Re: Digimap]
Gambalunga Offline

Loc: Mandello del Lario, Lake Como,...
Originally Posted By Digimap
Mario, this may give you some idea. Have they indicated the price they are looking for the car. Flat Rad For Sale

Full advert Here

Under that was this advertisement for a fully restored DHC. 42,500

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Aeroman, Boshly, Simon