Click here to return to the home page.
Image of a road.
Who's Online
12 registered (DaveW, DJC, westgardronning, MR11MOG, petemog, lowerwoodford, milligoon, Alan_Bass, MJF, Northernmorgan, CooperMan, pete757), 81 Guests and 14 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
Heage Windmill.
Heage Windmill.Belper
out today
Turbo Plus 4 - final report
Sunny Shropshire!
Newest Topics
Cockpit canopy
by Bonesie
26/04/19 06:30 AM
Aero Screens... not fit or not to fit
by pete757
26/04/19 01:50 AM
Longterm Storage
by Michael H
25/04/19 10:57 PM
Looks familiar
by Gambalunga
25/04/19 10:27 PM
Have you deleted your Google search history?
by Gambalunga
25/04/19 02:24 PM
Ecoboost Plus 4 - postscript
by griffo
25/04/19 01:25 PM
Liberation Day (Italy)
by Gambalunga
25/04/19 10:54 AM
Newest Members
Andy Hatch, Toyracer59, Roxy Plus4, RobCol, Rsglush
6471 Registered Users
Shout Box

Forum Stats
6,471 Registered Members
33 Forums
34,875 Topics
562,876 Posts

Most users ever online: 341 @ 11/02/18 10:30 PM
Today's Birthdays
adrian, Brian Martin, olive64, urs
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#326262 - 15/12/15 07:31 PM Re: How it all started. [Re: Stringers Best Mate]
Marchogion Offline

Learner Plates Off!

Loc: Cotswolds
Ah, Carlos Fandango
rofl rofl rofl

2014 +4, Le Mans Blue / Magnolia
"Meg" the Mog

#326286 - 15/12/15 09:43 PM Re: How it all started. [Re: Marchogion]
Jays Offline

Member of the Inner Circle

Loc: Cumbria UK
Originally Posted By Marchogion
Ah, Carlos Fandango
rofl rofl rofl

Awwww.....that's a shame. If I'd seen those I might have gone for them! Sadly widened steel rims!

Peter......I've seen your Fascinating Aida video before.....never tire of it!

Edited by Jays (15/12/15 09:43 PM)

#326426 - 16/12/15 07:57 PM Re: How it all started. [Re: DaveW]
Oakvillian Offline
Learner Plates Off!

Loc: Toronto, ON, Canada
I think my first bit of mechanical tinkering was an effort to understand how the kick-back 2-speed gear and coaster brake worked on my German bicycle, aged around 11. It took much longer to put back together than to take to pieces, but curiosity was satisfied! I then surprised myself almost as much as I surprised my dad when, a couple of years later, I repaired the ancient and splendid Suffolk Punch lawnmower he loved - a Woodruff key in the centrifugal clutch mechanism had failed, and I seem to remember having to chase a spark through magneto/coil/condenser as well.

First car was a Hillman Hunter, a 1973 (M) DL model I bought off a small ad in the local paper. It was several different shades of shiny brown (though I think it was nominally "bronze"), had the 1725cc Rootes engine and a 4-speed-plus-overdrive 'box. Surprisingly rapid, although it shook and rattled alarmingly between about 65 and 72mph. I overhauled the carb, which had provided a god-awful flat spot half way through the rev range due to a perforated diaphragm, but did very little else to it mechanically. 10,000 miles in my year of ownership, and I sold it for just over a hundred quid, to go towards my university beer fund, to a guy in a pub who was almost certainly in no fit state to drive it home.

Next up was a Mk1 Golf, which I "shared" with my little sister. By which I mean, obviously, that I spent as much time fixing it as she spent breaking it. It was yellow, and of very questionable reliability, so was inevitably known as the Yellow Peril. A botched head-gasket replacement (misread torque settings - oops) contributed to its habit of belching alarming quantities of blue-grey smoke out the back. It was ignominiously towed away for scrap from outside my front door.

For a few weeks temping between "proper" jobs, my daily driver was a 1930 Austin 7, which I drove to work in Winchester, a glorious drive from the Wallops past Danebury and over Stockbridge Down. 40mph tops, downhill with a following wind, but I did once overtake a tractor, which made my day!

I was car-less for a while as London living made it more of a hassle than a help, then a succession of company cars (small Peugeots, a Polo, a Golf) led to a Citroen Picasso when Sprog #1 arrived. And now, in Canada, the family bus is a Honda Odyssey, my commuting tintop is a Hyundai Accent, but to keep me sane I have the Morgan in the garage (and it's still Morgan weather here - winter is ludicrously late this year, we've barely even got overnight frosts in the forecast this side of Christmas...)

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Aeroman, Boshly, Simon