Click here to return to the home page.
Image of a road.
Who's Online
7 registered (Jads, nick w, CooperMan, paulmog, Gambalunga, milligoon, M3W55), 101 Guests and 78 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
The winter M3W
SwanMog Christmas party
Finished Plus 4 Side View
Mkiss Mog +4 fourseater
Management of cooling air flow
Newest Topics
SWMBO is in clink!
by howard
18/01/19 02:19 PM
Hub nut adapter
by Tonyh157
18/01/19 12:41 PM
When to give up driving ?
by pandy
18/01/19 12:40 PM
Morgan doing well - Economist
by M3W55
18/01/19 10:18 AM
Skyland Drive /Blue Ridge (VA) Rally, June 13-16
by 06032
17/01/19 07:42 PM
I am seeing a theme developing here.
by Alistair
17/01/19 02:44 PM
Morgan Runabout
by Bonesie
17/01/19 12:20 PM
Newest Members
PJS, 250swb, Mkiss, jacquesj, Dodger
6332 Registered Users
Shout Box

Forum Stats
6,332 Registered Members
33 Forums
33,984 Topics
543,776 Posts

Most users ever online: 341 @ 11/02/18 10:30 PM
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#467381 - 17/08/17 06:32 PM Re: Insurance [Re: NeilL]
Burgundymog Offline

Talk Morgan Addict

Loc: Essex
Originally Posted By NeilL
Just changed insurers for the BMW - and save £200 for a better policy.

Sadly it pays to shop around.

I told Admiral I wasn't going to pay £760 for my 2 vehicle multicar policy so they reduced it to £451 !!!

#467387 - 17/08/17 06:44 PM Re: Insurance [Re: Nevbag]
Alistair Offline
Smile, it confuses them
Charter Member

Loc: Hampshire
JohnV6.

I had a good experience admin wise with Admiral but they also tried to stuff me on renewal. I mistakenly went to Churchill and cannot damn them enough.

I am looking at Chubb to combine all my liability into one (house, contents, cars, travel, life) and also use A-Plan as a broker to shop the cars alone around. A-Plan have come out well and do help when the fur hits the fan.

It is a little more than using one of the big insurers but having had to claim on the Coupe once now "service" went up my requirements list.

#467543 - 18/08/17 11:56 AM Re: Insurance [Re: Alistair]
Neilda Offline
Part of the Furniture

Loc: Surrey. UK
Originally Posted By Alistair

I am looking at Chubb to combine all my liability into one (house, contents, cars, travel, life)

I use Chubb for house and contents - and very good they are too. I've had two large claims over the years - a 'serious' watch lost in a boating accident, and a fire in the pool house at home. Both claims were settled superbly - very quick, no quibbles, full payout and I was allowed to choose my own suppliers.

However I stopped using them for cars because the annual renewal premium for everything was huge! So I shop around for motor insurance. smile

#467619 - 18/08/17 10:48 PM Re: Insurance [Re: Nevbag]
Alistair Offline
Smile, it confuses them
Charter Member

Loc: Hampshire
Ta Neil, I am pulling it all together at the moment.

The entire insurance company needs a reboot. All of this change every year rubbish. Its like power providers with their "introductory tariffs" which mean changing every year.

#467629 - 19/08/17 07:00 AM Re: Insurance [Re: Neilda]
Richard - Aus Offline

Member of the Inner Circle

Loc: Perth, WA, Australia
Originally Posted By Neilda
Originally Posted By Alistair

I am looking at Chubb to combine all my liability into one (house, contents, cars, travel, life)

I use Chubb for house and contents - and very good they are too. I've had two large claims over the years - a 'serious' watch lost in a boating accident, and a fire in the pool house at home. Both claims were settled superbly - very quick, no quibbles, full payout and I was allowed to choose my own suppliers.

However I stopped using them for cars because the annual renewal premium for everything was huge! So I shop around for motor insurance. smile

We have Chubb to (Master Piece via a broker as only way to get it) and it is superb coverage for relatively little extra in premium. Also allows my wife to run a business from home.

#467660 - 19/08/17 10:53 AM Re: Insurance [Re: Nevbag]
Neilda Offline
Part of the Furniture

Loc: Surrey. UK
The thing with Chubb is that they assume you're honest.... which is a good thing. When I lost a Breguet watch in the sea their response was 'where should we send the cheque?'. The fire at home was a £40k loss - all settled (rapidly) without so much as murmur from Chubb. I can't rate them highly enough. However it's only when you have a claim that you realise you get what you pay for - paying years of premiums without a claim makes them appear expensive.

#467679 - 19/08/17 12:17 PM Re: Insurance [Re: Neilda]
Hamwich Offline

Talk Morgan Sage

Loc: Gloucestershire, UK
Originally Posted By Neilda
The thing with Chubb is that they assume you're honest.... which is a good thing. When I lost a Breguet watch in the sea their response was 'where should we send the cheque?'. The fire at home was a £40k loss - all settled (rapidly) without so much as murmur from Chubb. I can't rate them highly enough. However it's only when you have a claim that you realise you get what you pay for - paying years of premiums without a claim makes them appear expensive.

Absolutely right. I use NFU for the same reason. It's all very well buying insurance on price, but if you ever need to make a claim then it's quality of service that suddenly becomes the important thing. I've only had cause to use them on a couple of occasions, and both times they paid up immediately and without question.

The cheap insurance companies are able to drive their premiums down because their claims handling policies are extremely rigorous - they do everything they can to avoid paying.

As always, you pays your money and you takes your choice.

#469435 - 29/08/17 01:01 PM Re: Insurance [Re: Nevbag]
Shooter Offline

Has a lot to Say!

Loc: Oreton, Shropshire
The quality insurers tend to end up being a better price more often than not when you do a thorough analysis of your needs (House and contents cover).

The same tends to be true on vehicles too but there are exceptions. However, as has been pointed out service when a claim is made is important.

I have had excellent experience with Chubb, Hiscox, Zurich Private clients at different times in relation to both motor and house.

Right now for 2 years running I have been with NFU on Motor as they offer good service and fantastic pricing for 2 Aero 8's, a Tesla and the Lancia, business use etc £1,400 a year. I do seem to collect performance awards so have a few points! Also some insurers are quoting £1,200 to £2,000 for the Tesla on its own at the moment due to high repair costs.

On the subject of Household and business insurances, I have an excellent broker if anyone wants a recommendation.
Aero 8 GTN. #10
Aero 8 S5.... #10

#469436 - 29/08/17 01:08 PM Re: Insurance [Re: waikiore]
Shooter Offline

Has a lot to Say!

Loc: Oreton, Shropshire
Originally Posted By waikiore
Hi all
Can anyone recommend an insurer for a non resident ?
ie Car is in the UK for when I visit and I reside offshore, this seems to be a problem for some reason.

I maintain insurance on motorbikes I keep in USA and there it is relatively easy (and cheap) but an address in the USA is needed.

I would suggest making contact with an insurance broker in the UK and getting advice as to your options. If the car is in storage, some storage firms provide a level of insurance but it is not always adequate and will not help when you want to come over and drive.
Aero 8 GTN. #10
Aero 8 S5.... #10

#469462 - 29/08/17 04:06 PM Re: Insurance [Re: waikiore]
Peter J Offline
Formerly known as Aldermog
Member of the Inner Circle

Loc: Salisbury, UK
Originally Posted By waikiore
Hi all
Can anyone recommend an insurer for a non resident ?
ie Car is in the UK for when I visit and I reside offshore, this seems to be a problem for some reason.

Do you have a UK "address", ie family member or similar, that is also shown on a UK driving licence and the V5?

If you do then it shouldn't be a problem: payment by card solves most other issues.

But if you are unable to demonstrate a link to a UK residence then probably a problem.
Why? Because the insurance company wants to be able to deliver documents by post and the Police want to be able to send you speeding tickets....

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Aeroman, Boshly, Simon