Click here to return to the home page.
Image of a road.
Who's Online Now
23 registered members (2017 Betty, DirkM, TBM, +8Rich, jpeck, Leroy, Robin Askew, JoeSpeetjens, John Winn, JohnHarris, bmgermany, stefan s, Marmota, Heinz, Moggo, James B W, Peter J, Mick Annick, rv6, DaveW, Snowden, Image, DavidR), 127 guests, and 23 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
+8Rich 351
John V6 290
Alistair 161
Peter J 142
Newest Topics
Alternative to chrome wires
by jpeck. 24/01/21 05:01 PM
Rear wheel studs
by G Walker. 24/01/21 04:59 PM
Jigsaw
by David_E. 24/01/21 03:49 PM
Holtznek
by meabh. 24/01/21 03:41 PM
Oh dear another curve ball
by +8Rich. 24/01/21 12:57 PM
Wire wheel silvery colour 1986 car
by Neil49. 24/01/21 01:19 AM
Latest Photos
Another High Level brake light
Morgan puzzle made to order
TOK 258 drawings
Two Approaches to the Easy Up Hood Stay
Vaccine is totally safe
Newest Members
dodol, John Welch, CityGarage, Uzi, 1thebeano
7333 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics40,332
Posts672,053
Members7,333
Most Online1,033
Dec 28th, 2019
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Itg or something else [Re: nputtick] #41502
10/03/10 12:31 PM
10/03/10 12:31 PM
C
cerealsurfer Offline
Talk Morgan Expert
cerealsurfer  Offline
Talk Morgan Expert
C

ITG do specific packages for different engines I think.. the MAF sensor can be quite sensative therefore it's worth looking at existing kits if they can be used...

Do you have some pics of the current engine packaging?

Re: Itg or something else [Re: cerealsurfer] #41504
10/03/10 02:06 PM
10/03/10 02:06 PM
South Wales UK
GLLHG Offline
South Wales Correspondent
GLLHG  Offline
Talk Morgan Expert

South Wales UK
Originally Posted By cerealsurfer
ITG do specific packages for different engines I think.. the MAF sensor can be quite sensative therefore it's worth looking at existing kits if they can be used...

Andrew,

No specific kit for a trad unfortunately. Andy Jackson did come up with a couple of ideas and sometime over the next month or so I'll get the car up to Coventry and he's going to take a look at it.

There are a couple more photos of the packaging here:

http://www.talkmorgan.com/ubbthreads.php/galleries/33071/The_Elephants_Trunk#comments

http://www.talkmorgan.com/ubbthreads.php/galleries/33150/The_Elephant_s_Trunk_2#comments

regards,
G

GLLHG
Re: Itg or something else [Re: GLLHG] #41563
11/03/10 07:04 PM
11/03/10 07:04 PM
Southport
NJR Offline
L - Learner Plates On
NJR  Offline
L - Learner Plates On

Southport
Hi,

I'm also a cynic, I don't think it adds that much power, but throttle response is much improved....and I love the sound.

By the way, have you checked out Burton Power? they provide all sorts for tuning the whole range of Ford engines plus lots of useful info and guidance.

good luck

rgds
Nick....just waiting for the sunshine...
Re: Itg or something else [Re: cerealsurfer] #41564
11/03/10 07:16 PM
11/03/10 07:16 PM
Southport
NJR Offline
L - Learner Plates On
NJR  Offline
L - Learner Plates On

Southport
Originally Posted By NJR
Hi,

I've found your thread an interesting read, although I have an older 4/4 with carb'ed CVH, which I have replaced the restrictive standard pancake and box with a Pipercross free flow, looks good, intake roar is nearly as loud as the exhaust! But the reason for me chipping in is, the old system took air from an opening next to the rad, about 2" dia, and ducted in. Is this feasible on your newer cars?

rgds

Got a pic?

I haven't...but I can get one...

cheers

rgds
Re: Itg or something else [Re: NJR] #41567
11/03/10 07:34 PM
11/03/10 07:34 PM
C
cerealsurfer Offline
Talk Morgan Expert
cerealsurfer  Offline
Talk Morgan Expert
C

would appreciate taking a look

Re: Itg or something else [Re: NJR] #41568
11/03/10 07:42 PM
11/03/10 07:42 PM
C
cerealsurfer Offline
Talk Morgan Expert
cerealsurfer  Offline
Talk Morgan Expert
C

Originally Posted By NJR
Hi,

I'm also a cynic, I don't think it adds that much power, but throttle response is much improved....and I love the sound.

By the way, have you checked out Burton Power? they provide all sorts for tuning the whole range of Ford engines plus lots of useful info and guidance.

good luck

Burton's are good, if a little expensive in comparison to other suppliers... for the most part I've had most success going to the manufacturer directly. Especially as Morgan parts can be "a little different".

Take my new flywheel for example.... Morgan put a CVH "in-line" rather than transverse and mounted it to a Type 9 gearbox...

On the original Ford flywheel installed the part number has been gound off. I'm guessing by either ford who helped with the original package, or Morgan. Suffice to say getting a replacement part.. or performance version there-of was next to impossible.

As I've moved to using a dowel'd Crank I've had a lightweight competition flywheel made. From recollection the OEM unit was 9kg and the lightweight version is ~5kg and funnily enough is based on a Pinto unit with a different bolt pattern... it really transforms the drivability of the car.

We can now supply these fitted through www.mogworks.co.uk aka Miller Commercial Motors in High Wycombe.

Re: Itg or something else [Re: NJR] #41569
11/03/10 07:44 PM
11/03/10 07:44 PM
Southport
NJR Offline
L - Learner Plates On
NJR  Offline
L - Learner Plates On

Southport
They use Zetec engines in Caterham's, check this out, looks good and does away with the trunking....would there be room?

Westfield World[/url] http://westfield-world.com/Pix/fea/kc7.jpg

rgds

rgds
Re: Itg or something else [Re: GLLHG] #41570
11/03/10 07:49 PM
11/03/10 07:49 PM
C
cerealsurfer Offline
Talk Morgan Expert
cerealsurfer  Offline
Talk Morgan Expert
C

Originally Posted By GLLHG

Andrew,

No specific kit for a trad unfortunately. Andy Jackson did come up with a couple of ideas and sometime over the next month or so I'll get the car up to Coventry and he's going to take a look at it.

http://www.talkmorgan.com/ubbthreads.php/galleries/33071/The_Elephants_Trunk#comments

http://www.talkmorgan.com/ubbthreads.php/galleries/33150/The_Elephant_s_Trunk_2#comments

regards,
G

Wow.. that's 5 right angle bends and some pretty crinkled piping... there's got to be gains to be had with some pretty simple smoothing of the routing.

Would it be possible to re-locate the MAF sensor above the throttle body.. turning it horizontal and mounting something like an ITG Maxogen housing directly above it with the Maxogen housing intake pointing forward possibly to a NACA duct in the RHS of the bonnet?

http://www.itgairfilters.com/airboxes.asp?section=maxogenairboxes

There is a 1.8 Focus installation that might be able to be modified slightly to suit.. or at least ITG will have experience of the engine charactereistics and therefore only packaging will be the complication??

Re: Itg or something else [Re: GLLHG] #41580
12/03/10 10:35 AM
12/03/10 10:35 AM
South Wales UK
GLLHG Offline
GLLHG  Offline
Talk Morgan Expert

South Wales UK
Originally Posted By GLLHG

Andrew,

regards,
G

We talked about the Focus set up but, of course, I have the slight added problem that my engine is a silvertop ( and therefore arguably a pre-Focus engine). A daft question perhaps, but is that going to mean different chcharcterisitics and so rule out using a Focus 1.8 kit as a basis?

I’m thinking we may be able to replace the existing airbox with a Maxogen BAB65, but it may well not clear the bonnet – the ducting would also be a bit long, but looking at the standard setup I think it may work a little better.

We could leave the Maxogen in the same place as the filter housing is now and perhaps go for a ' +4 supersports-type bulge on the LH side of the bonnet but I'm getting very conflicting data as to whether that inside edge is still a low pressure area

The only other option I can see would be to move the MAF towards the front of the engine bay – this would involve lengthening the wiring, but with only 5 or 6 wires, this wouldn’t be as big a job as you think. This would allow us to hopefully still squeeze an airbox in and run a very short duct. As long as the relative distance from the MAF to the throttle body doesn’t change much, I don't think it should affect the performance.

G

GLLHG
Re: Itg or something else [Re: NJR] #41581
12/03/10 10:38 AM
12/03/10 10:38 AM
South Wales UK
GLLHG Offline
GLLHG  Offline
Talk Morgan Expert

South Wales UK
Originally Posted By NJR

good luck

Yes, I've used a fair bit of their stuff- and as you say, the guides in their cataloguecan be a very useful starting point

The Raceline Engineering site is also worth a look

regards,
G

GLLHG
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  TalkMorgan