Click here to return to the home page.
Image of a road.
Who's Online Now
16 registered members (Mike D, DavidR, jaypee, Robbie, TBM, planenut, ajsms999, Berlin, donaldosaurus, Hamwich, PaulyG, NickCW, JMcL, Mr Mogoo, Bitsobrits, IvorMog), 156 guests, and 15 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
+8Rich 387
John V6 301
Alistair 172
Peter J 132
Newest Topics
Wanted M3W car cover
by donaldosaurus. 28/01/21 04:05 PM
Replacement door hinge fasteners
by JimV6. 28/01/21 02:32 PM
Fancy the other half?
by M3W55. 28/01/21 02:05 PM
Classic Engines: Briggs and Stratton
by Hamwich. 28/01/21 12:44 PM
Before I bought my first Morgan...........
by DaveW. 28/01/21 12:11 PM
Fuel pump problem
by jaypee. 28/01/21 09:05 AM
Some very expensive Morgans
by JohnMat. 27/01/21 10:23 PM
Latest Photos
Another High Level brake light
Morgan puzzle made to order
TOK 258 drawings
Two Approaches to the Easy Up Hood Stay
Vaccine is totally safe
Newest Members
bear65, Mogster +4, JimV6, IainG, Ollie
7346 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics40,364
Posts672,710
Members7,346
Most Online1,033
Dec 28th, 2019
Today's Birthdays
Hiwex
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: DCNF Webers [Re: NJR] #42156
26/03/10 02:59 PM
26/03/10 02:59 PM
South Wales UK
GLLHG Offline
South Wales Correspondent
GLLHG  Offline
South Wales Correspondent
Talk Morgan Expert

South Wales UK
Originally Posted By NJR
I have replaced the stock filter on my '83 CVH (XR3 n/a) with a nice Pipercross. Sounds good and much improved throttle response, but the car runs out of breath past 80 in top, and struggles to gain further speed. Can I cure this with adjustment or is it a gearing problem?

Many thanks.

I notice that you have taken steps to free up the inlet side ( ie the Pipercross) but what about getting the used stuff out ie the exhaust side

I'm not suggesting that this is a complete fix because the issue is wider and really involves how wide the effective power band is and where it is deliverd, but if you are still on OEM stuff, then a better quality exhaust manifold and a system with a smaller silencer would be worth considering

A s a final point ( and apologies becuase this is a real hobby horse of mine) is the Pipercross situated so that it is giving you a good supply of dense, cool air?

regards,
GLLHG

GLLHG
Re: DCNF Webers [Re: cerealsurfer] #42164
26/03/10 04:42 PM
26/03/10 04:42 PM
Lincolnshire
Guten Offline OP
Learner Plates Off!
Guten  Offline OP
Learner Plates Off!

Lincolnshire
Originally Posted By cerealsurfer
Originally Posted By NJR
You guys sound like you know your stuff re carbs etc, looking for advice.
I have replaced the stock filter on my '83 CVH (XR3 n/a) with a nice Pipercross. Sounds good and much improved throttle response, but the car runs out of breath past 80 in top, and struggles to gain further speed. Can I cure this with adjustment or is it a gearing problem?

Moving to 185/55/15 tyres gives more pull with the power you have, esentially getting more effective Torque to the road. Alternatively you need more power to increase top speed.

You got 4 or 5 speed box? Mines a five and the engine seems to give more torque than out and out power so responds better in higher gears. That said it would get past that easily - if on a private road or in Germany officer. In fact it cruises quite hapily at 80, if on a private etc etc!! innocent

Simon
2002 4/4
1936 Austin 12 light 4 Ascot saloon
Mercedes C Class estate
Honda Jazz
Re: DCNF Webers [Re: NJR] #42167
26/03/10 04:53 PM
26/03/10 04:53 PM
Lincolnshire
Guten Offline OP
Learner Plates Off!
Guten  Offline OP
Learner Plates Off!

Lincolnshire
Originally Posted By NJR
Hi Guten,

I've just seen your pics...really interested in this set up for my car (after my daughters wedding!! spend)did you get the carbs, manifold, linkages etc as a kit if so, where from?

Did you do the installation yourself?

I bought them on ebay and they came with manifold and facet pump and pressure regulator. They were less than perfect it has to be said but that's the chance you take. I got overhaul kits and overhauled them, two mixture screws were broken and I got a slack handful of those (made some too when I couldn't initially source them but the threads were a little loose). On the up side they were jetted for a 1.6 cvh so I haven't made any changes to them, a rolling road may show changes required, especially in terms of MOT emissions. The attached pump can not be used because there's no space for it so it has to come off and fit a blank. As I've said elsewhere the exhaust manifold came from Melvyn Rutter and I already had the sports exhaust.
One of the things that threw me for a while (I've had these for nearly 2 years before final fitting) was that each choke has two adjusting screws, I finally found out one of these is for air balance (normally closed) and the other is mixture.
I hope this helps. thinking
Regards
Simon

Simon
2002 4/4
Mercedes C Class estate
Honda Jazz
Re: DCNF Webers [Re: GLLHG] #42183
26/03/10 07:18 PM
26/03/10 07:18 PM
Southport
NJR Offline
L - Learner Plates On
NJR  Offline
L - Learner Plates On

Southport
Originally Posted By GLLHG
Originally Posted By NJR

Many thanks.

I notice that you have taken steps to free up the inlet side ( ie the Pipercross) but what about getting the used stuff out ie the exhaust side

I'm not suggesting that this is a complete fix because the issue is wider and really involves how wide the effective power band is and where it is deliverd, but if you are still on OEM stuff, then a better quality exhaust manifold and a system with a smaller silencer would be worth considering

A s a final point ( and apologies becuase this is a real hobby horse of mine) is the Pipercross situated so that it is giving you a good supply of dense, cool air?

regards,
GLLHG

Breathing is improved at both ends, I have removed the tail silencer and put a straight through pipe ( single silencer box under n/s wing) but using stock exhaust manifold, which apparently is quite efficient. It has a 5 speed box but I get the feeling that top is quite 'long legged'. She pulls very well up to around 80 in top, then runs out of legs, but will cruise happily at that speed.

One thing, there's a small air pipe that that ran from the original air filter box to the base of the carb...should this be closed off, left fully open or remain attached to the small original valve, for best performance.

thanks for your help

rgds
Nick....just waiting for the sunshine...
Re: DCNF Webers [Re: Guten] #42184
26/03/10 07:55 PM
26/03/10 07:55 PM
C
cerealsurfer Offline
Talk Morgan Expert
cerealsurfer  Offline
Talk Morgan Expert
C

Originally Posted By Guten
Originally Posted By cerealsurfer
Originally Posted By NJR
You guys sound like you know your stuff re carbs etc, looking for advice.

Moving to 185/55/15 tyres gives more pull with the power you have, esentially getting more effective Torque to the road. Alternatively you need more power to increase top speed.

You got 4 or 5 speed box? Mines a five and the engine seems to give more torque than out and out power so responds better in higher gears. That said it would get past that easily - if on a private road or in Germany officer. In fact it cruises quite hapily at 80, if on a private etc etc!! innocent

5 Speed and also have more Torque at the bottom end and with smaller tyres would roughly 1/2 the stock 0-60 time to approx ~7seconds and max out at about 97mph on the track.... that said looking to get ideally over 150bhp out of the engine this season and have just installed a close ratio straight cut competition gear set...

Re: DCNF Webers [Re: Guten] #42186
26/03/10 07:57 PM
26/03/10 07:57 PM
Lincolnshire
Guten Offline OP
Learner Plates Off!
Guten  Offline OP
Learner Plates Off!

Lincolnshire
I should also say that if I was doing this again I would go for IDF type weber carbs (also to be found on ebay but not with cvh manifold, this is available from Burton Power I think. The reason for this is that these have a different float bowl arrangement which is designed to be unaffected by for and aft or side to side forces. Although mine is running OK I have heard the comment that dcnf's are not suited to in line engines from several sources so I'm not convinced yet that they will be trouble free.
Regards
Simon

Simon
2002 4/4
Mercedes C Class estate
Honda Jazz
Re: DCNF Webers [Re: NJR] #42188
26/03/10 08:03 PM
26/03/10 08:03 PM
Lincolnshire
Guten Offline OP
Learner Plates Off!
Guten  Offline OP
Learner Plates Off!

Lincolnshire
Originally Posted By NJR
Originally Posted By GLLHG
Originally Posted By NJR

Many thanks.

regards,
GLLHG

Breathing is improved at both ends, I have removed the tail silencer and put a straight through pipe ( single silencer box under n/s wing) but using stock exhaust manifold, which apparently is quite efficient. It has a 5 speed box but I get the feeling that top is quite 'long legged'. She pulls very well up to around 80 in top, then runs out of legs, but will cruise happily at that speed.

One thing, there's a small air pipe that that ran from the original air filter box to the base of the carb...should this be closed off, left fully open or remain attached to the small original valve, for best performance.

thanks for your help

I'm not clear what you mean here. The original set up has an emissions valve with the top connected to the rocker cover, the side to the filter and the small pipe on the bottom to the carb. As I understand it this uses the vacuum caused in the choke above the butterfly to open the valve and so draw the fumes when working hard out of the rocker box and in to the air intake, that's how I have connected mine. You often see photos of CVH engines with a filter connected to this rocker outlet. I tried this and got smelly fumes in the cockpit when accelerating so reverted to the original set up.
Regards
Simon

Simon
2002 4/4
Mercedes C Class estate
Honda Jazz
Re: DCNF Webers [Re: cerealsurfer] #42260
27/03/10 07:21 PM
27/03/10 07:21 PM
C
cerealsurfer Offline
Talk Morgan Expert
cerealsurfer  Offline
Talk Morgan Expert
C

I've been playing all day and have installed the Ram air system into the Morgan... it also just about fits under the bonnet so no holes.. smile smile

I'll put some pictures up when I get a chance.

Re: DCNF Webers [Re: cerealsurfer] #42265
27/03/10 10:09 PM
27/03/10 10:09 PM
Lincolnshire
Guten Offline OP
Learner Plates Off!
Guten  Offline OP
Learner Plates Off!

Lincolnshire
Sounds interesting

Simon
2002 4/4
Mercedes C Class estate
Honda Jazz
Re: DCNF Webers [Re: Guten] #42266
27/03/10 10:17 PM
27/03/10 10:17 PM
C
cerealsurfer Offline
Talk Morgan Expert
cerealsurfer  Offline
Talk Morgan Expert
C

Indeed... should be first of type based on what i've come accross.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  TalkMorgan