Click here to return to the home page.
Image of a road.
Who's Online Now
19 registered members (IMHO, John07, DirkM, bmgermany, JoeSpeetjens, +8Rich, NelsonG, Leroy, 2017 Betty, HJP, drewg, JohnHarris, jpeck, Robin Askew, stefan s, BobtheTrain, Mick Annick, John Winn, TBM), 136 guests, and 21 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
+8Rich 352
John V6 290
Alistair 161
Peter J 142
Newest Topics
Has anyone noticed energy prices lately
by IMHO. 24/01/21 06:29 PM
Alternative to chrome wires
by jpeck. 24/01/21 05:01 PM
Rear wheel studs
by G Walker. 24/01/21 04:59 PM
Jigsaw
by David_E. 24/01/21 03:49 PM
Holtznek
by meabh. 24/01/21 03:41 PM
Oh dear another curve ball
by +8Rich. 24/01/21 12:57 PM
Latest Photos
Another High Level brake light
Morgan puzzle made to order
TOK 258 drawings
Two Approaches to the Easy Up Hood Stay
Vaccine is totally safe
Newest Members
dodol, John Welch, CityGarage, Uzi, 1thebeano
7333 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics40,333
Posts672,056
Members7,333
Most Online1,033
Dec 28th, 2019
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: DCNF Webers [Re: cerealsurfer] #42274
28/03/10 06:19 AM
28/03/10 06:19 AM
Lincolnshire
Guten Offline OP
Learner Plates Off!
Guten  Offline OP
Learner Plates Off!

Lincolnshire
Some photos would be interesting! smile
My longer term aim is to install engine management and downdraught throttle bodies using the dcnf manifold but it's about 2k to buy it all new (have had a couple of quotes) so a bit difficult to justify to the chancellor love especially when it's only for my interest. Will just keep feeding the piggy bank and gathering info read and maybe one day - - - coffee
Incidentally I found the problem with dcnf's yesterday, when braking to turn left it starts missing etc. It's only done this since I fitted a low pressure pump so I'm guessing the higher pressure kept the float bowl level higher and masked the problem. I may try raising the level to see if it improves but it doesn't really matter, it looks good and is so much nicer to drive it's a small price to pay and eventually there may be some injection under there. waiting It'd be a different story if I wanted to race it.

Simon
2002 4/4
1936 Austin 12 light 4 Ascot saloon
Mercedes C Class estate
Honda Jazz
Re: DCNF Webers [Re: Guten] #42301
28/03/10 06:15 PM
28/03/10 06:15 PM
Southport
NJR Offline
L - Learner Plates On
NJR  Offline
L - Learner Plates On

Southport
Originally Posted By Guten
Originally Posted By NJR
Originally Posted By GLLHG
Originally Posted By NJR
I have replaced the stock filter on my '83 CVH (XR3 n/a) with a nice Pipercross. Sounds good and much improved throttle response, but the car runs out of breath past 80 in top, and struggles to gain further speed. Can I cure this with adjustment or is it a gearing problem?

Many thanks.

I notice that you have taken steps to free up the inlet side ( ie the Pipercross) but what about getting the used stuff out ie the exhaust side

I'm not suggesting that this is a complete fix because the issue is wider and really involves how wide the effective power band is and where it is deliverd, but if you are still on OEM stuff, then a better quality exhaust manifold and a system with a smaller silencer would be worth considering

A s a final point ( and apologies becuase this is a real hobby horse of mine) is the Pipercross situated so that it is giving you a good supply of dense, cool air?

regards,
GLLHG

Breathing is improved at both ends, I have removed the tail silencer and put a straight through pipe ( single silencer box under n/s wing) but using stock exhaust manifold, which apparently is quite efficient. It has a 5 speed box but I get the feeling that top is quite 'long legged'. She pulls very well up to around 80 in top, then runs out of legs, but will cruise happily at that speed.

One thing, there's a small air pipe that that ran from the original air filter box to the base of the carb...should this be closed off, left fully open or remain attached to the small original valve, for best performance.

thanks for your help

I'm not clear what you mean here. The original set up has an emissions valve with the top connected to the rocker cover, the side to the filter and the small pipe on the bottom to the carb. As I understand it this uses the vacuum caused in the choke above the butterfly to open the valve and so draw the fumes when working hard out of the rocker box and in to the air intake, that's how I have connected mine. You often see photos of CVH engines with a filter connected to this rocker outlet. I tried this and got smelly fumes in the cockpit when accelerating so reverted to the original set up.
Regards
Simon

Hi Simon,

My mistake, not the base of the carb, but into the manifold just below the carb.

Its not the emissions valve, thats the large pipe that runs off to the right, this small pipe branches off to the left and up into a small valve fitted in the base of the stock filter box. It may just be an idle control as this seems to be the only effect that I can see. I'd just like to know what you did with this in the past, when you had the single carb set up.

rgds
Nick....just waiting for the sunshine...
Re: DCNF Webers [Re: cerealsurfer] #42319
29/03/10 09:51 AM
29/03/10 09:51 AM
Lincolnshire
Guten Offline OP
Learner Plates Off!
Guten  Offline OP
Learner Plates Off!

Lincolnshire
Have you checked the second choke is opening, timing, stuff like that?

Originally Posted By cerealsurfer
Originally Posted By NJR
You guys sound like you know your stuff re carbs etc, looking for advice.
I have replaced the stock filter on my '83 CVH (XR3 n/a) with a nice Pipercross. Sounds good and much improved throttle response, but the car runs out of breath past 80 in top, and struggles to gain further speed. Can I cure this with adjustment or is it a gearing problem?

Moving to 185/55/15 tyres gives more pull with the power you have, esentially getting more effective Torque to the road. Alternatively you need more power to increase top speed.

Simon
2002 4/4
Mercedes C Class estate
Honda Jazz
Re: DCNF Webers [Re: NJR] #42320
29/03/10 09:58 AM
29/03/10 09:58 AM
Lincolnshire
Guten Offline OP
Learner Plates Off!
Guten  Offline OP
Learner Plates Off!

Lincolnshire
Ah, right, I think you mean the one that went to a small bore pipe in the cam cover. That's where mine went anyway.

Simon
2002 4/4
Mercedes C Class estate
Honda Jazz
Re: DCNF Webers [Re: Guten] #42609
05/04/10 10:19 PM
05/04/10 10:19 PM
C
cerealsurfer Offline
Talk Morgan Expert
cerealsurfer  Offline
Talk Morgan Expert
C

Right CVH intake pictures are up in the Morgan Photos section.

Re: DCNF Webers [Re: cerealsurfer] #42643
06/04/10 07:04 PM
06/04/10 07:04 PM
Southport
NJR Offline
L - Learner Plates On
NJR  Offline
L - Learner Plates On

Southport
Nice looking installation!! love

I've been looking at a few Ford based forums and have been given a few ideas to check out.
Took her out for a blast at the weekend, once warmed up started missing, backfiring, with no power. Only change I made was a new set of plugs...could one of these fail when hot.

I've also decided she's running too lean, so I need to richen things up. To start with I'll close up the vacuum pipes coming from the inlet manifold..see how that works.

rgds
Nick....just waiting for the sunshine...
Re: DCNF Webers [Re: cerealsurfer] #42749
08/04/10 08:32 PM
08/04/10 08:32 PM
Lincolnshire
Guten Offline OP
Learner Plates Off!
Guten  Offline OP
Learner Plates Off!

Lincolnshire

That looks the business! I too was waiting to see if I got icing problems but none so far. Is the pipe from the rocker breather just open? I did that with the K & N on the twin choke, just to take the foul smell away, I kept getting the blame! grin2
Is this set best suited for ultimate power at high revs? Good for racing but not for road use?

Simon
2002 4/4
Mercedes C Class estate
Honda Jazz
Re: DCNF Webers [Re: Guten] #42756
08/04/10 10:08 PM
08/04/10 10:08 PM
C
cerealsurfer Offline
Talk Morgan Expert
cerealsurfer  Offline
Talk Morgan Expert
C

Originally Posted By Guten

That looks the business! I too was waiting to see if I got icing problems but none so far. Is the pipe from the rocker breather just open? I did that with the K & N on the twin choke, just to take the foul smell away, I kept getting the blame! grin2
Is this set best suited for ultimate power at high revs? Good for racing but not for road use?

This set-up is intended for maximum air intake, efficency and maximum power. It is suitable for road use and should be very tractable. If mid-range needs to be more torque then Twin 40's can be used instead of 45's.. 45's are very large carbs for 1630cc but the 36mm chokes keep the intake velocity high to endsure the bottom end and mid range don't suffer too much.

Overall other aims of the modification were to keep it tidy and possibly as OEM looking as possible. I think the clean lines of the install and the quality of the intake itself really helps to keep the quality of the overall install quite high whilst actually bieng very functional.

It also has a full cone filter in the neck of the air-box to should be a lot better long term proposition than running no filter and just ram-pipes as seen on some vintage racers... to me that's just damaging an expensive engine install.. all the dust and grime getting in the engine.. it's not going to help much.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  TalkMorgan