Click here to return to the home page.
Classic Morgans
Who's Online
4 registered (RB1, Scrambledsignals, sbarracl, DaveK), 120 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
Allon White trim shop . Roadster interior changes
PocketRocket - Rolling Chassis - Roadster
M3W Tour of New Zealand 2019
Concept Royal Enfield V Twin
Go Outdoors
Newest Topics
Cigarette Lighter Mobile Phone Google Maps
by DaveK
21/03/19 01:34 AM
Happy Birthday Jon G4LJW
by +8Rich
21/03/19 12:58 AM
Ideas please - Devon/Dorset
by SFG
20/03/19 09:25 PM
H&H Auction Duxford 20.03.2019 - F4
by Stephen888
20/03/19 07:47 PM
How to match glove box lock to door key
by Gambalunga
20/03/19 03:23 PM
Wheel weights
by John V6
20/03/19 12:35 PM
NEC Classic car restoration show, this weekend
by WOX9
20/03/19 08:34 AM
Newest Members
Jabax4, UTE, robert l, RogerU, GIB
6422 Registered Users
Shout Box

Forum Stats
6,422 Registered Members
33 Forums
34,574 Topics
556,905 Posts

Most users ever online: 341 @ 11/02/18 10:30 PM
Today's Birthdays
Jon G4LJW, retiredal
Page 4 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#553106 - 10/01/19 08:22 PM Re: LED headlights [Re: Craig Jezz]
Stewart S Offline
Wave & smile... It's a Morgan
Member of the Inner Circle

Loc: Lancashire, England
Originally Posted By Craig Jezz

Goodness! They cost a bit

#553107 - 10/01/19 08:30 PM Re: LED headlights [Re: sailingtom]
Heinz Offline

Talk Morgan Addict

Loc: Cologne, Germany
Originally Posted By sailingtom
Just for reference all the defender type headlights are plug and play. Its worth buying the stainless defender mounting ring at the same time as lights though.
Cheers Tom

I will visit the Nolden factory next week, they are based here in Cologne. Why do I need the stainless defender mounting ring? Does the Morgan ring not fit when mounting the LEDs?

This is the new generation Defender LED which includes day light now. On ebay it costs 810 € a pair.

https://www.noldengmbh.de/en/company/news/the-next-generation-ncc-7-bi-led

Edited by Heinz (10/01/19 08:41 PM)

#553108 - 10/01/19 08:32 PM Re: LED headlights [Re: Richard Wood]
MDS61 Offline
Learner Plates Off!

Loc: Shropshire
Originally Posted By Richard Wood
Found the need to improve lights on my Roadster so investigated full LED headlamps from Powerful UK as discussed above.

I had already fitted their ARV6 LED DRL lamps, but they retain a halogen headlamp bulb. Despite uprating bulb was generally disappointed with results on both main and dip. Lead to believe that anything that fits Defender will fit Morgan so took the plunge and ordered their E approved HL051 pair albeit on sale or return.

Just fitted driver side one without issue, in order to make comparison. These are results against garage wall as weather not friendly enough to try in anger yet.

DRL/sidelights only.

Although the ARV6 type on left employ 12 x LED's in smiley format and look brighter side on, the bluish unfocussed light is dim on wall by comparison with new in DRL/sidelight mode. Here the outer six focused LED's run on half power.

Next we have dipped beam. On the right LED headlamp this comes from single central large lens LED.

Although camera angle favours the old ones its no contest really. Very well defined cutoff with tip up to the left to illuminate kerb. Look above cutoff to see how dark bricks are compared with splatter all around from halogens on left.

Finally main beam from the six outer LED's on full power with central dip remaining on. All seven have total current draw well below single filament of halogen.

Again camera angle favours the old halogen but totally eclipsed by LED's.

Assured they are MOT friendly but only 20 minutes to swap back. Oh and no ECU/BCU issues.

Note that lens does protrude 4mm more through mounting ring than previous, but only noticeable close up side on.

Hi Richard

Can you post a picture front the front of the car, to show what they look like from outside i.e do they still look like normal headlights H4's?

Thanks Mark

2004 Roadster S1 3.0 V6 - "Seve"

#553117 - 10/01/19 09:21 PM Re: LED headlights [Re: madmax]
Richard Wood Offline
Talk Morgan Enthusiast

Loc: East Harling, Norfolk UK
Putting the other in tomorrow Mark so will post photo then.

Note Powerful UK offer another headlamp pair (HL730) employing four main LED elements. The two larger lens ones oriented left and right provide dip beam. The two smaller top and bottom, main beam although dip ones remain on as well. The DRL is an outer 'angel eye' ring formed of 80 tiny LED's with diffuser to give solid ring of light. A little more expensive but using Osram LED elements.

The ones I bought came out brightest in their comparative test though and I preferred the look. Note you can choose black rather than chrome background. Thought this would leave my car with pisshole in the snow effect though oops

2018 Roadster - Red/Magnolia - "Morton"
1967 Land Rover series 2a SWB
1960 Velocette Venom

#553311 - 11/01/19 08:27 PM Re: LED headlights [Re: madmax]
Heinz Offline

Talk Morgan Addict

Richard, thanks for the impressive pics. How do you wire the day drive light? Does it get power via the first stage of the switch, so that it is controlled by the side light? Because then the rear lights are also on during the day? Or is it an extra wire that is switched on via the ignition?

#553335 - 11/01/19 10:58 PM Re: LED headlights [Re: madmax]
Richard Wood Offline
Talk Morgan Enthusiast

Both lamps now fitted. Have to admit it gives the car a sinister look but less noticeable in brighter conditions.

In answer to Heinz query, the headlamp flying lead to male three pin H4 type connector has an extra wire with male spade termination. Connecting this wire to sidelight positive feed provides DRL option, with earth return through main headlamp connection.

A 120 mile round trip this afternoon with return mainly in the dark gave excellent test. Confidence inspiring white pool of light on dip with the very well defined cutoff apparently leaving no worries to the heavy oncoming traffic. When I finally had opportunity to try main beam it was night into day 😎
To say I was impressed is a huge understatement happy3

1960 Velocette Venom

#553343 - 11/01/19 11:44 PM Re: LED headlights [Re: Heinz]
Richard Wood Offline
Talk Morgan Enthusiast

Originally Posted By Heinz
Richard, thanks for the impressive pics. How do you wire the day drive light? Does it get power via the first stage of the switch, so that it is controlled by the side light? Because then the rear lights are also on during the day? Or is it an extra wire that is switched on via the ignition?

See answer above Heinz.

To add though the current Roadster has front and rear sidelights permanently on with ignition feed, so wiring up as suggested gives automatic daytime lights. There is no further side/position light mode with these particular headlamps and no dedicated feed for such in tbe Morgan loom anyway. Switching the sidelights on with light switch does nothing other than dimming panel lights when driving.

#553344 - 11/01/19 11:45 PM Re: LED headlights [Re: madmax]
Heinz Offline

Talk Morgan Addict

Thanks Richard, so does it mean it is the usual side light control on step one of the light switch and the rear lights are also switched on during the use of DRL? which is not an issue in my view.

#553345 - 11/01/19 11:50 PM Re: LED headlights [Re: madmax]
Richard Wood Offline
Talk Morgan Enthusiast

Yes all you are doing with this conversion is replacing factory position light within headlamp with DRL.

1960 Velocette Venom

#553346 - 11/01/19 11:50 PM Re: LED headlights [Re: madmax]
Heinz Offline

Talk Morgan Addict

Okay, we were almost at the same time with our posts. So I would think, with the 4/4 I would switch DRL to the side light, because the 4/4 has no permanent side light on modus.

Page 4 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Aeroman, Boshly, Simon