Click here to return to the home page.
Morgan Aero 8
Who's Online
21 registered (nick w, MOG 615, K Henry, Aeromax51, The Austrian, yobtaf, More rpm!, +8Rich, N22MOG, Button, Graham, G4FUJ, Georgie, NeilL, deano, Ragnar, JMD, Burgundymog, CasaLobo, Lowflyer, ajg141, RedThree), 71 Guests and 93 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
Morgan meets Transformers
Spotted hiding at Henry Moore Foundation
Bury St Ed and the Krazy Horse
Spotted in Cyprus today
French highway, recently
Newest Topics
An all electric future!
by Gambalunga
Today at 02:11 PM
Live feed for Nautilus horn
by John V6
Today at 01:48 PM
Fan Switch
by Craig Jezzard69
Today at 11:38 AM
Fires in Portugal
by Gambalunga
Today at 08:59 AM
Malvern to Moscow car badge
by Alan Patterson
Today at 07:33 AM
Battery removal on plus 8
by RedFlash
Yesterday at 07:01 PM
Sean Hughes RIP.
by +8Rich
Yesterday at 05:33 PM
Newest Members
velociphiles, Landiman, Neil Marsay, 44mog, KennethM
5738 Registered Users
Shout Box

Forum Stats
5,738 Registered Members
33 Forums
29,962 Topics
467,389 Posts

Most users ever online: 260 @ 23/08/17 09:25 PM
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#476806 - 12/10/17 04:10 PM Aero 8 S1- power steering issue
taffy Offline
L - Learner Plates On

Yesterday I went for a drive and all perfect!
Today, started it up and started to get it out the garage and as soon as I slightly turned the steering wheel there was a horrible "screeching" noise that seemed to come from the power steering motor. I tried it on either lock and still the same noise but it operates perfectly. So, any ideas if its some faulty hydraulic valve or is it just knackered? No sign of oil leakage.
many thanks
T

#476807 - 12/10/17 04:12 PM Re: Aero 8 S1- power steering issue [Re: taffy]
Graham, G4FUJ Online   content
Salty Sea Dog
Member of the Inner Circle

Loc: Cheltenham, Glos. UK
Slipping belt?

D8921 L44FOR '93 4/4 Sunny yellow 2 seat smile
'56 Fusion (commutacar); '90 LR 90 SW

#476808 - 12/10/17 04:46 PM Re: Aero 8 S1- power steering issue [Re: taffy]
taffy Offline
L - Learner Plates On

Hi Graham,
Sounds more "hydraulic squeal" than belt slipping- but will have another look !
many thanks
T

#476816 - 12/10/17 05:46 PM Re: Aero 8 S1- power steering issue [Re: taffy]
lightsphere Offline

Talk Morgan Enthusiast

Loc: County Down
Taffy,
I have followed simonjrw's thread on this last month and he required major surgery on his pump/rack etc which Simon at sifab did. I have not seen a list of what was done but it was fixed. Which is great news that there is someone out there that can do the job.

#476827 - 12/10/17 07:15 PM Re: Aero 8 S1- power steering issue [Re: taffy]
AeroIan Offline
L - Learner Plates On

Loc: N.Ireland
Taffy does sound hydraulic- I had something similar on my defender. Needed new pump. Wasn't expensive but then again wasn't Morgan ...

Aero 8 Series 1
2003 Defender 90
BMW 330d M Touring

#476834 - 12/10/17 07:45 PM Re: Aero 8 S1- power steering issue [Re: taffy]
lightsphere Offline

Talk Morgan Enthusiast

Loc: County Down
Taffy, For what it's worth and you will already know some of this. If you are looking at steering pump failure the following is of interest. The problem was identified early in production, in our Mog club one to 1st Aero's in 2002 had pump failure early, I believe in the 1st year . It had to be recovered from France to the factory. They used a later Mini pump and not the Rover version put in at build. The series 2 had this upgrade as standard.
I spoke with Richard Thornes service team about it and their solution on a car they fixed this year. It started with sourcing a pump, these are circa £500 BMW Mini, 06 version, I believe. High pressure hoses were required and made by Pirtec, as well as some seals. Finally they sourced the electrics out to a local firm.
Not sure with simonrjw's job whether all this was needed but Simon at SIFAB was hoping to have a packaged solution for all of this, plus written instructions
Here's hoping your job is not as serious but it is worth knowing someone has solved the worse case.

#476903 - 13/10/17 11:54 AM Re: Aero 8 S1- power steering issue [Re: lightsphere]
NickCW Offline
Talk Morgan Regular

Loc: Buckinghamshire
Originally Posted By lightsphere
Taffy, For what it's worth and you will already know some of this. If you are looking at steering pump failure the following is of interest. The problem was identified early in production, in our Mog club one to 1st Aero's in 2002 had pump failure early, I believe in the 1st year . It had to be recovered from France to the factory. They used a later Mini pump and not the Rover version put in at build. The series 2 had this upgrade as standard.
I spoke with Richard Thornes service team about it and their solution on a car they fixed this year. It started with sourcing a pump, these are circa £500 BMW Mini, 06 version, I believe. High pressure hoses were required and made by Pirtec, as well as some seals. Finally they sourced the electrics out to a local firm.
Not sure with simonrjw's job whether all this was needed but Simon at SIFAB was hoping to have a packaged solution for all of this, plus written instructions
Here's hoping your job is not as serious but it is worth knowing someone has solved the worse case.

A packaged solution would be great, especially if it stays hydraulic.
I do not think the RT fix is worth pursuing, it costs an absolute fortune and is electric so I would imagine this results in reduced steering feel..

Edited by NickCW (13/10/17 11:54 AM)

"What we do in life.. echoes in eternity."

#476918 - 13/10/17 02:44 PM Re: Aero 8 S1- power steering issue [Re: taffy]
simonjrw Offline
Talk Morgan Regular

Loc: Upminster, Essex
Hi Guys,
Simon’s power steering conversion in beautifully put together and properly engineered. He has even moved the reservoir in to the middle of the engine bay which makes filling a doddle. I am unable to notice any difference in steering feel between the mechanically powered pump and the electric (mini) pump.
It’s not a cheap fix, but as alway, you get what you pay for......would you want a “cheap” job done of your steering? No, me neither.
Simons the sort of guy who will go the extra mile for his customers, we are VERY lucky to have him supporting us Aero owners, especially as he’s so busy with “proper” work.
Simon

#476934 - 13/10/17 04:39 PM Re: Aero 8 S1- power steering issue [Re: simonjrw]
Sloany Offline
New to Talk Morgan

Loc: North Yorkshire
There is (was) a factory kit to convert the original system to electric. My car (S1 chassis 46) also had this mod done very early in its life. I have the paperwork for the kit somewhere including the fitting instructions but I am away for a few days but can dig it out when I get home if that would help. Dave.

#476936 - 13/10/17 04:47 PM Re: Aero 8 S1- power steering issue [Re: Sloany]
Sloany Offline
New to Talk Morgan

Loc: North Yorkshire
I should add that the electric pump and tank is located behind the nearside front wing next to the oil filter housing with the hydraulic pipes being routed through the engine bay to the rack. Putting the tank under the bonnet seems to be a good modification. I still sometimes get a high pitched squeel from the pump when the fluid is cold and the car has been standing a while, but it disappears as soon as the fluid warms up.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Aeroman, Boshly, Simon