Click here to return to the home page.
Morgan Aero 8
Who's Online
18 registered (RoyH, IcePack, MOG42, Malcolm T, +8Rich, hugo, Tim W, Lowflyer, Burgundymog, rainbowj, James B W, jr1952, nadvys, teifistar, Camelot, moggi, CBM, Eddie), 66 Guests and 85 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
Morgan meets Transformers
Spotted hiding at Henry Moore Foundation
Bury St Ed and the Krazy Horse
Spotted in Cyprus today
French highway, recently
Newest Topics
An all electric future!
by Gambalunga
17/10/17 02:11 PM
Live feed for Nautilus horn
by John V6
17/10/17 01:48 PM
Fan Switch
by Craig Jezzard69
17/10/17 11:38 AM
Fires in Portugal
by Gambalunga
17/10/17 08:59 AM
Malvern to Moscow car badge
by Alan Patterson
17/10/17 07:33 AM
Battery removal on plus 8
by RedFlash
16/10/17 07:01 PM
Sean Hughes RIP.
by +8Rich
16/10/17 05:33 PM
Newest Members
velociphiles, Landiman, Neil Marsay, 44mog, KennethM
5738 Registered Users
Shout Box

Forum Stats
5,738 Registered Members
33 Forums
29,962 Topics
467,388 Posts

Most users ever online: 260 @ 23/08/17 09:25 PM
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#476781 - 12/10/17 02:47 PM Re: Classic and Sports Car Morgan Feature [Re: DaveW]
NeilL Offline

Charter Member

Loc: Warks
Originally Posted By DaveW
'My Publisher' insisted on production data for the Trads.
MMC don't have it in an easily recoverable format. You would have to trawl through the build books.
It could be done but it would take a big investment of time.

Anything on the Internet is a guess, and so journalists are in trouble.

I've made an attempt at trad numbers but with a caveat-fest and lots of rounding and assumptions. That's as good as it can be without hours of research at the factory.

I think thats reasonable.

"It is estimated that...."

"MMC estimate that over..."

etc!!

#476783 - 12/10/17 02:50 PM Re: Classic and Sports Car Morgan Feature [Re: DaveW]
+8Rich Online   happy

Member of the Inner Circle

Loc: Devon UK
'My Publisher' insisted on production data for the Trads.
MMC don't have it in an easily recoverable format. You would have to trawl through the build books.
It could be done but it would take a big investment of time.

Anything on the Internet is a guess, and so journalists are in trouble.

I've made an attempt at trad numbers but with a caveat-fest and lots of rounding and assumptions. That's as good as it can be without hours of research at the factory.

A bit like a good marriage always good to have a little mystique about the Morgan magic laugh2..

#476810 - 12/10/17 04:59 PM Re: Classic and Sports Car Morgan Feature [Re: Peter J]
Stringers Best Mate Offline

Part of the Furniture

Loc: Northamptonshire UK
It's a little sad when MMC have a post holder with the title of "Archivist", though..

#476822 - 12/10/17 06:44 PM Re: Classic and Sports Car Morgan Feature [Re: Peter J]
DaveW Offline
Roadster Guru

Loc: South Yorkshire
I don't think its ever been a priority. But for somebody like me (OCD) it would be unthinkable not to keep detailed production records.

It would be possible to create an electronic record from the build books, but what a task. There's no way that the factory could afford to do that, but a team of volunteers could eat into the job......................

But it would take weeks of effort.

#476830 - 12/10/17 07:18 PM Re: Classic and Sports Car Morgan Feature [Re: DaveW]
Peter J Offline
Formerly known as Aldermog
Needs to Get Out More!

Loc: Salisbury, UK
I don't think its ever been a priority. But for somebody like me (OCD) it would be unthinkable not to keep detailed production records.

It would be possible to create an electronic record from the build books, but what a task. There's no way that the factory could afford to do that, but a team of volunteers could eat into the job......................

But it would take weeks of effort.

Your next Magnum Opus?

#476831 - 12/10/17 07:30 PM Re: Classic and Sports Car Morgan Feature [Re: NeilL]
Shooter Offline

Has a lot to Say!

Loc: Oreton, Shropshire
Originally Posted By NeilL

Easy ..write under a nom de plume!

ie ..Ian Morgan!!

NOOOO!!!!

Then they will think its me!

Anyway, I thought the AeroMax numbers were 107 including the prototypes and the replacements for those written off etc.

The real Ian Morgan :-)
Aero GTN #10
Aero 8 S5

#476832 - 12/10/17 07:37 PM Re: Classic and Sports Car Morgan Feature [Re: Peter J]
DaveW Offline
Roadster Guru

Loc: South Yorkshire
Well I could do it, as reconstructing records from chaos has always been part of my job. The problem is, assuming permission was granted for such an endeavour, how many build book summaries could be posted onto a spreadsheet in an hour?
You would need essentially the build certificate details.
Chassis number
Body number
Build number
Model
Paint colour
Interior colour
Hood spec
Wheels
Other extras........................
Date of start and finish of build

One every ten minutes would be six an hour, so fifty on one long day. Assuming 800 cars a year, 16 days of graft for one years production. But towards the end you get the gaps, and they take much longer to resolve.

So ten years of production would be at least 160 working days, at five days a week, meaning 32 weeks. Realistically, ten years production could take a full year.

Think of the accommodation and subsistence costs......................

The best moment to create a production record is when the cars are signed off.................................

#476837 - 12/10/17 07:52 PM Re: Classic and Sports Car Morgan Feature [Re: Peter J]
Alistair Offline
Smile, it confuses them
Talk Morgan Addict

Loc: Hampshire
I see this as a place where the Club could add a lot of value through spare time among the members ? I do think that the equity of collating the history of the cars becomes great material for the marketing team to use into the future.

XX% of the cars made still on the road
ratios of trads to 3w to aeros

It does show how sticky these things become in our lives and so help someone new realise that it is more than just a pretty thing.

#476841 - 12/10/17 07:56 PM Re: Classic and Sports Car Morgan Feature [Re: Peter J]
Aeromax51 Offline
Just Getting Started

Loc: Malvern UK
I remain confused, now we have another figure (107) for the number of Aeromaxs built.

If a magazine that seeks to be authoritative chooses to include production numbers in a feature article in order to give it extra gravitas then surely it has a responsibility to make sure that the figures it quotes have been gleaned from a reputable source that it identifies. If the magazine chooses not to do this then maybe a letter of complaint to the editor would be a good thing.

I must immediately add, I am not the right person to write it.

smile smile

#476843 - 12/10/17 08:14 PM Re: Classic and Sports Car Morgan Feature [Re: Aeromax51]
Stringers Best Mate Offline

Part of the Furniture

Loc: Northamptonshire UK
Originally Posted By Aeromax51
I remain confused, now we have another figure (107) for the number of Aeromaxs built.

If a magazine that seeks to be authoritative chooses to include production numbers in a feature article in order to give it extra gravitas then surely it has a responsibility to make sure that the figures it quotes have been gleaned from a reputable source that it identifies. If the magazine chooses not to do this then maybe a letter of complaint to the editor would be a good thing.

I must immediately add, I am not the right person to write it.

smile smile

And breathe..

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Aeroman, Boshly, Simon