Click here to return to the home page.
Image of a road.
Who's Online
3 registered (Button, Draggin, Joejoe), 64 Guests and 57 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
Hibernation started: 20.11.2017
Front seat repair
M3W spotted at Basildon Park 17/11/17
Wire wheel nut spanner
Vredestein Classic
Newest Topics
Foot pedal adjustment
by Adrenalinsports
21/11/17 09:56 PM
Thrill on hill crashed grey plus 4 lives!
by andymot
21/11/17 06:10 PM
+4 supersport for auction
by hugo
21/11/17 06:02 PM
CVH valve springs
by Jads
21/11/17 05:32 PM
Plus 8 3.9i and the Nordschleife..
by Peter J
21/11/17 04:12 PM
WOLF PERFORMANCE
by KEVFITZ
21/11/17 02:46 PM
Wind screen demister
by KX62
21/11/17 01:39 PM
Newest Members
VincentJulian, MicMog44, Tricky dicky, al.nicoll, computid
5815 Registered Users
Shout Box

Forum Stats
5,815 Registered Members
33 Forums
30,310 Topics
474,334 Posts

Most users ever online: 262 @ 26/10/17 08:34 PM
Today's Birthdays
JFV
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#477447 - 17/10/17 02:11 PM An all electric future!
Gambalunga Offline

Needs to Get Out More!

Loc: Mandello del Lario, Lake Como,...
Many countries, China included, are planning to phase out fossil fuel cars over the next 20 years. Toshiba seem to have come up with a new battery technology that may just make it feasible. No doubt this sort of development will continue to make strides ahead over the next few years.

Just imagine: You drive for about 200 to 250 kilometres, stop for a pee and a cup of coffee and by the time you get back to your car, about 6 minutes, it is fully charged with a possible range of over 300 kilometres.

Toshiba say that their next generation 50Ah SCiB lithium-ion battery is a ‘game-changer.’

#477448 - 17/10/17 02:39 PM Re: An all electric future! [Re: Gambalunga]
howard Offline
Talk Morgan Addict

Plusses and minusses. For the family runabout, I can only see positives - electric motors and batteries have to be intrinsically more reliable than IC engines and gearboxes. Cars will be quieter. Until the government catches up, electric "fuel" will be cheaper. Servicing less.

For fun cars I have my doubts. There really is nothing to compare with a flat plane crank V8 from Maranello at 8000rpm. Well maybe a V10 or V12 as well. The sound of a Dyson vacuum cleaner doesnt hack it.

Mind you, how long will we be able to use a performance car? When driverless ones come along they will have inbuilt safety campaigner boredom controls. Its already at the point congestion wise where I try to get SWMBO to drive the family car with me as passenger.

#477451 - 17/10/17 02:49 PM Re: An all electric future! [Re: Gambalunga]
robmog88 Offline

Talk Morgan Regular

Loc: Walsall, uk
It's gotta be the way ahead. I'm on my third hybrid and next spring I'll trade my gas guzzling clk320 Merc in for a new Nissan Leaf.
Leccy cars have to be the way forward, can't believe the ICE has lasted this long with dwindling resources.
Probably have the solar array and tesla power wall installed at the same time.

#477457 - 17/10/17 04:07 PM Re: An all electric future! [Re: howard]
Peter J Offline
Formerly known as Aldermog
Needs to Get Out More!

Loc: Salisbury, UK
Howard, I agree that as a local runabout electricity is the future.
But it will be a while before they ban "real" cars and even longer before Motorcycles are banned, as they must be if they want autonomy.

In the UK horses have been marginalised as a form of transport since the 1950s, yet the ONLY roads that horses cannot use are Motorways.... I see Motorways restricted to autonomous vehicles in the future, but everywhere else?
No chance.

I'm confident that there will be petrol hybrids for many years, the Politicians in Europe and N America may dream of a green, electric future but it won't happen. Too much existing infrastructure and culture.

Yes, the autocratic governments in China and other places will mandate and it will happen and their drive will underpin developments in the west.

Petrol Hybrids will make fun cars, after all F1 built round a sophisticated petrol hybrid power unit.

#477460 - 17/10/17 04:24 PM Re: An all electric future! [Re: Gambalunga]
Jack The Lad Offline
Posting Desperado
Talk Morgan Sage

Loc: The frozen North
Its took them years to start to build the power station and we need another 5 so they say so what about the cost and the waste and what about these electrical points . If one wants to go into Northumberland or around Scotland and that's just a bit of GB . Then are they just going to elbow BP Shell etc etc there is a lot more to this than meets the eye and like most government stuff a great lot of B/S involved that they have not sorted out . Along when it goes for a major service is that 6 new batteries 5K At the moment its like all government stuff all bloody talk from idiots who have not a clue. As they change from housing minister to something else after its found out they know bugger all about it.
A bit like Blair and his Diesel nor can I see the huge wagons we see on the m/way with electric motors .

Edited by Jack The Lad (17/10/17 04:31 PM)

#477461 - 17/10/17 04:33 PM Re: An all electric future! [Re: Jack The Lad]
Ken A Offline

Talk Morgan Regular

Loc: Kent, UK
Originally Posted By Jack The Lad
Its took them years to start to build the power station and we need another 5 so they say so what about the cost and the waste and what about these electrical points . If one wants to go into Northumberland or around Scotland and that's just a bit of GB . Then are they just going to elbow BP Shell etc etc there is a lot more to this than meets the eye and like most government stuff a great lot of B/S involved that they have not sorted out . Along when it goes for a major service is that 6 new batteries 5K At the moment its like all government stuff all bloody talk from idiots who have not a clue. As they change from housing minister to something else after its found out they know bugger all about it.
A bit like Blair and his Diesel nor can I see the huge wagons we see on the m/way with electric motors .

JtL I could not agree MORE.........+101
MV F4 750
Honda CB1000
Triumph Thruxton 900
Greeves 350

#477463 - 17/10/17 04:54 PM Re: An all electric future! [Re: Ken A]
+8Rich Offline

Member of the Inner Circle

Loc: Devon UK
Originally Posted By Ken A
Originally Posted By Jack The Lad

JtL I could not agree MORE.........+101

+1

I could raise more enthusiasm at the prospect of enforced vegetarianism doh hide.

#477470 - 17/10/17 05:31 PM Re: An all electric future! [Re: Gambalunga]
Eddie Cairns Offline
Talk Morgan Regular

Loc: Aberdeenshire
If you look at the latest government energy paper they want all Oil Fired heating changed to electricity i.e. a ground sourced heat pump or district heating in towns and then in the longer term they are talking about changing the gas grid to provide hydrogen or other low carbon sources.

Therefore more new power stations to run the heat pumps and what power source do you use for the hydrogen production.

Then without advising who is paying for it apart from a few loose statements, that all houses and offices will be at energy conservation level C which is say the same standard as 10 year old houses today.

With the results of recent rail electificion costs that electrification of the railways is too expensive they are saying that rail and agriculture, shipping and air transport are problems they have not solved with their broad statements for home and office heating.

#477474 - 17/10/17 06:01 PM Re: An all electric future! [Re: Gambalunga]
The Austrian Offline

Talk Morgan Expert

Loc: Austria, Vienna area
In 20 years I'm an old bugger and they should keep me away from fast cars than.
I don't mind an electric future.

BTW: Today I checked if my new Audi Q diesel would do more than 125miles/hour and had no problem to exceed that speed.
I hope there was no radar box... hide
and some practical cars for use in real life

#477493 - 17/10/17 07:57 PM Re: An all electric future! [Re: Gambalunga]
Ruut Bianchi Offline

Talk Morgan Regular

Loc: Sittard, The Netherlands
As I stated before in other threads, yes the future will become more and more electric, and no, don't be afraid, since Tesla is my daily driver I enjoy driving it every day. The main challenge is the infrastructure and further improvements in battery technology. Fifty years ago, not every family(!) had a telephone connection, in 2017, just not everybody(!!) has a smartphone.....! Things can go rapidly.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Aeroman, Boshly, Simon