Click here to return to the home page.
Morgan Aero 8
Who's Online
10 registered (Heinz, Ricardo, Graham, G4FUJ, Aeromax51, Cheshire_David, Fox Terrier, Crunchie Gears, DaveW, Michael H, Ian Wegg), 64 Guests and 65 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
Favourite Photo of my Morgan This Year
Introduction to V121
Brittany this morning
Hibernation started: 20.11.2017
Front seat repair
Newest Topics
Two Tone 2005
by MarkB
23/11/17 10:42 PM
4/4 Anniversary for sale at Rutters
by DaveW
23/11/17 09:30 PM
Party time
by pandy
23/11/17 09:23 PM
Morgan Aroma Candles
by Gambalunga
23/11/17 07:51 PM
Color change.
by docdav
23/11/17 07:31 PM
Running Board Treads and the rusty screws
by BuyBritish
23/11/17 06:51 PM
Letter of Complaint about Factory Service Letter
by Stewart S
23/11/17 06:02 PM
Newest Members
Frank K, Mars Meng, VincentJulian, MicMog44, Tricky dicky
5817 Registered Users
Shout Box

Forum Stats
5,817 Registered Members
33 Forums
30,334 Topics
474,772 Posts

Most users ever online: 262 @ 26/10/17 08:34 PM
Today's Birthdays
9KV2X8
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#481374 - 07/11/17 03:12 PM Re: A Surprise...of the wrong sort. [Re: milligoon]
Peter J Offline
Formerly known as Aldermog
Needs to Get Out More!

Loc: Salisbury, UK
Originally Posted By milligoon

Do you leave it on a battery conditioner for long periods of time?

No, mostly not on the trickle charger, usually only if I know it is going to be a couple or 3 weeks before the car is used.

Most of the fluff was white anhydrous copper sulphate, the blue was only under the clamp.

So, likely either the battery is being overcharged by the alternator, or the battery is overheating from the engine bay temperature, or it is simply tired.

#481411 - 07/11/17 06:21 PM Re: A Surprise...of the wrong sort. [Re: Peter J]
twotribes Offline
Has a lot to Say!

Loc: Kent & Dorset, UK
Originally Posted By Peter J
Originally Posted By twotribes
Has your battery still got a little rubber transit plug on one side at the end? If this is not removed on installation, temperature changes could cause pressurised vapour to release where the terminals pass through the casing.

Stuart, I can't see such a plug, could you take a photo to show me where I should be looking?

Hi Peter, I don't have the car with me (it's being prepped awaiting its new owner) so sorry, no photo.

Pretty sure my battery was an Exide Premium and the breather/plug is at the RH end of the battery as fitted in the engine bay (ie the end with the -ve terminal if your car has the same engine bay layout as mine, with the battery fitted 'wrong way round' to get the terminals facing inwards). The rubber plug sits in a 7mm hole located centrally at the very top of the end vertical face of the battery. There was a delivery sticker when new saying the plug must be removed. Indeed, there is a similar hole at the other end of the battery, blanked by a black plastic 'top hat' insert which remains in place. Of course, if your battery is a different brand, I've no idea whether other manufacturers have this breather/plug or not.

#482677 - 13/11/17 08:18 PM Re: A Surprise...of the wrong sort. [Re: Peter J]
DaveW Online   content
Roadster Guru
Member of the Inner Circle

Loc: South Yorkshire
On the matter of anhydrous copper sulphate...............
Over the weekend, our electric shower went cyclical - rapidly shifting from icy cold to red hot with constant water flow.

An internet search suggested the thermostat which sits on top of the plastic water tank, which has a copper top. The thermostat simply sits on the copper top, surrounded by wires.

On inspection I found a big growth of white powder around the thermostat. I cleaned this off using a screwdriver, WD40 and the vacuum cleaner. Hey presto - normal service is resumed.

#482843 - 14/11/17 04:35 PM Re: A Surprise...of the wrong sort. [Re: DaveW]
madmax Offline
Talk Morgan Addict

Loc: East Anglia
Originally Posted By DaveW
On the matter of anhydrous copper sulphate...............
Over the weekend, our electric shower went cyclical - rapidly shifting from icy cold to red hot with constant water flow.

An internet search suggested the thermostat which sits on top of the plastic water tank, which has a copper top. The thermostat simply sits on the copper top, surrounded by wires.

On inspection I found a big growth of white powder around the thermostat. I cleaned this off using a screwdriver, WD40 and the vacuum cleaner. Hey presto - normal service is resumed.

Good job its not on an Aero !

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Aeroman, Boshly, Simon