Click here to return to the home page.
Morgan Aero 8
Who's Online
12 registered (Wirewheel, Richard Wood, Heinz, Nickplus4, andymot, Garethseries1, John V6, M3W55, +8Rich, truckin-on, JCD, Sir Percival), 101 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
Plus 4 in autumnal evening sun
Cuthbert's BMW Trike
Pic to go with thread on GDI oil breather
Morgans on parade in the the NZ summer
QE 2....not quite!!!
Newest Topics
A scam or a bargain?
by John V6
Today at 09:48 AM
Nice sounding cars
by madmax
Today at 09:39 AM
Cosworth V 12 for Aston
by howard
Yesterday at 09:23 PM
Newbie suspension greasing question...
by BobJ
Yesterday at 06:09 PM
Which Ctek?
by Jon G4LJW
Yesterday at 05:22 PM
Virgin reaches space
by +8Rich
13/12/18 09:04 PM
+8 tyre pressures
by Almond
13/12/18 06:32 PM
Newest Members
gary sartor, Bonesie, Ben, jejemel, jk-sky
6307 Registered Users
Shout Box

Forum Stats
6,307 Registered Members
33 Forums
33,732 Topics
537,519 Posts

Most users ever online: 341 @ 11/02/18 10:30 PM
Today's Birthdays
Arie Smits, Nick R, sospan
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#481374 - 07/11/17 03:12 PM Re: A Surprise...of the wrong sort. [Re: milligoon]
Peter J Offline
Formerly known as Aldermog
Member of the Inner Circle

Loc: Salisbury, UK
Originally Posted By milligoon

Do you leave it on a battery conditioner for long periods of time?

No, mostly not on the trickle charger, usually only if I know it is going to be a couple or 3 weeks before the car is used.

Most of the fluff was white anhydrous copper sulphate, the blue was only under the clamp.

So, likely either the battery is being overcharged by the alternator, or the battery is overheating from the engine bay temperature, or it is simply tired.

#481411 - 07/11/17 06:21 PM Re: A Surprise...of the wrong sort. [Re: Peter J]
twotribes Offline
Talk Morgan Enthusiast

Loc: Kent & Dorset, UK
Originally Posted By Peter J
Originally Posted By twotribes
Has your battery still got a little rubber transit plug on one side at the end? If this is not removed on installation, temperature changes could cause pressurised vapour to release where the terminals pass through the casing.

Stuart, I can't see such a plug, could you take a photo to show me where I should be looking?

Hi Peter, I don't have the car with me (it's being prepped awaiting its new owner) so sorry, no photo.

Pretty sure my battery was an Exide Premium and the breather/plug is at the RH end of the battery as fitted in the engine bay (ie the end with the -ve terminal if your car has the same engine bay layout as mine, with the battery fitted 'wrong way round' to get the terminals facing inwards). The rubber plug sits in a 7mm hole located centrally at the very top of the end vertical face of the battery. There was a delivery sticker when new saying the plug must be removed. Indeed, there is a similar hole at the other end of the battery, blanked by a black plastic 'top hat' insert which remains in place. Of course, if your battery is a different brand, I've no idea whether other manufacturers have this breather/plug or not.

#482677 - 13/11/17 08:18 PM Re: A Surprise...of the wrong sort. [Re: Peter J]
DaveW Offline
Roadster Guru
Member of the Inner Circle

Loc: South Yorkshire
On the matter of anhydrous copper sulphate...............
Over the weekend, our electric shower went cyclical - rapidly shifting from icy cold to red hot with constant water flow.

An internet search suggested the thermostat which sits on top of the plastic water tank, which has a copper top. The thermostat simply sits on the copper top, surrounded by wires.

On inspection I found a big growth of white powder around the thermostat. I cleaned this off using a screwdriver, WD40 and the vacuum cleaner. Hey presto - normal service is resumed.

#482843 - 14/11/17 04:35 PM Re: A Surprise...of the wrong sort. [Re: DaveW]
madmax Offline
Part of the Furniture

Loc: East Anglia
Originally Posted By DaveW
On the matter of anhydrous copper sulphate...............
Over the weekend, our electric shower went cyclical - rapidly shifting from icy cold to red hot with constant water flow.

An internet search suggested the thermostat which sits on top of the plastic water tank, which has a copper top. The thermostat simply sits on the copper top, surrounded by wires.

On inspection I found a big growth of white powder around the thermostat. I cleaned this off using a screwdriver, WD40 and the vacuum cleaner. Hey presto - normal service is resumed.

Good job its not on an Aero !

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Aeroman, Boshly, Simon