Click here to return to the home page.
Image of a road.
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (rockabilly john, Ricardo), 183 guests, and 28 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
+8Rich 180
John V6 141
Hamwich 101
Newest Topics
Have you checked your torque wrench calibration?
by Calypso Red. 15/11/19 08:40 PM
Happy birthday Shooter
by waikiore. 15/11/19 04:29 AM
Late trad Plus 8 wanted
by Viper. 14/11/19 08:39 PM
NEC Classic Car Show November 19
by Fat Wolfie. 14/11/19 08:36 PM
Lucky wet escape
by IcePack. 14/11/19 07:39 PM
Slow loading
by Gambalunga. 14/11/19 07:36 PM
Latest Photos
TM at Haynes
Keith's 4/4 resto
New 1913 Runabout replica in progress
Alloy spare wheel Cover
Williams teasing me
Newest Members
jackOCD, Rsputt, Rob82, Sib, Baker
6750 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics36,605
Posts591,447
Members6,750
Most Online596
Nov 6th, 2019
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Oil-you get what you pay for #4841
25/05/07 06:34 PM
25/05/07 06:34 PM
Rainy City
kin Offline OP
Talk Morgan Expert
kin  Offline OP
Talk Morgan Expert

Rainy City

Costs of synthetics vary considerably. The most expensive are the Ester types originally only used in jet engines. These cost 6 to 10 times more than high quality mineral oils.

The cheapest synthetics are not really synthetic at all, they are dug out of the ground and not manmade. These are in fact specially refined light viscosity mineral oils known as hydrocracked oils.

Hydrocracked oils have some advantages over their equivalent mineral oils, particularly in lower viscosity motor oils such as 5w-30 and 5w-40 and they cost about 1.5 times more than good quality mineral fractions. This is the synthetic which is always used in cheap oils that are labelled synthetic.

So, why are these special mineral oils called synthetic?

Well, it all came about from a legal battle that took place in the USA more than ten years ago. Sound reasons (including evidence from a Nobel Prize winning chemist) were disregarded and the final ruling was that certain mineral bases that had undergone extra chemical treatments could be called synthetic.

Needless to say, the marketing executives wet their knickers with pure delight! They realised that this meant, and still does, that the critical buzz-word synthetic could be printed on a can of cheap oil provided that the contents included some hydrocracked mineral oil, at a cost of quite literally a few pence.

So, the chemistry of synthetics is complex and so is the politics. The economics are very simple though.

If you like the look of a smart well-marketed can with synthetic printed on it, fair enough, it will not cost you a lot; and now you know why this is the case, its really only a highly processed mineral oil.

But, if you drive a high performance or modified car, and you intend to keep it for several years, and maybe do the odd track day or 1/4 mile, then you need a genuine Ester/PAO (Poly Alpha Olefin) synthetic oil.

These oils cost more money to buy, because they cost a lot more money to make.

Very simply, you always get what you pay for, cheap oils contain cheap ingredients, what did you expect!

Re: Oil-you get what you pay for [Re: kin] #4857
26/05/07 07:52 AM
26/05/07 07:52 AM
Northants
T
Trent Offline
Talk Morgan Regular
Trent  Offline
Talk Morgan Regular
T

Northants
Kin that is quite an oil rant grin2

However, there is some good information and I would agree with you that in modern high performance engines, you do not want to put cheap oil in as it will be a false economy.

Re: Oil-you get what you pay for [Re: Trent] #4865
26/05/07 11:13 AM
26/05/07 11:13 AM
Rainy City
kin Offline OP
Talk Morgan Expert
kin  Offline OP
Talk Morgan Expert

Rainy City
Originally Posted By Trent
Kin that is quite an oil rant grin2

However, there is some good information and I would agree with you that in modern high performance engines, you do not want to put cheap oil in as it will be a false economy.
Don't think I'm some kind of technical wizard, its just a very good piece of info. by opieoilman(Simon),I just copied and paste it.

I buy Silkolene Pro S(ester synthetic) 70GBP for 10litres, I will ask the factory to put this in my Aero for the next service.

I consider oil, such as shell, castrol and even Mobil1 as cheap oil, as they are not ester synthetic...

Moderated by  Aeroman, Simon