Click here to return to the home page.
Image of a road.
Who's Online
2 registered (Draggin, BertL), 94 Guests and 13 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
Pic to go with thread on GDI oil breather
Morgans on parade in the the NZ summer
QE 2....not quite!!!
New M3W badge!
Another Celebrity Photo
Newest Topics
Fitting a ready made top
by Button
12/12/18 11:57 PM
Charles and M3W on the BBC listen here
by BuyBritish
12/12/18 09:31 PM
Beach landing at Pembrey
by sospan
12/12/18 06:56 PM
I do get some crap on my PC
by Jack The Lad
12/12/18 05:46 PM
How did the Morgan Radio show go yesterday?
by Stewart S
12/12/18 05:34 PM
The motorbike show
by rainbowj
12/12/18 05:26 PM
The antidote to electric motors
by madmax
12/12/18 05:23 PM
Newest Members
Ben, jejemel, jk-sky, ChrisConvertible, traimpz348
6305 Registered Users
Shout Box

Forum Stats
6,305 Registered Members
33 Forums
33,719 Topics
537,123 Posts

Most users ever online: 341 @ 11/02/18 10:30 PM
Today's Birthdays
Digimap
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#497878 - 06/02/18 05:25 PM Re: Nice Mosquito soundtrack [Re: Paul F]
+8Rich Offline

Member of the Inner Circle

Loc: Devon UK
Originally Posted By Paul F
Thanks for posting. That is wonderful.

For those that didn’t know - the Mosquito that used to be at Elvington has now moved to East Kirby. It is hoped that the Just Jane team expertise will enable it to become ground running or even to taxi.

Lincolnshire Aviation Heritage Centre

No mention of the Mosquito on the web site yet.

I belong to the Mosquito group in Lincs on facebook - I was invited as my late Father had flown the type during the war, it says it's a closed group but hopefully you can view the site via the link. They are making great progress, if you can't view it let me know and I'll copy and paste a bit for you.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/Mossiehj711/

Last time I checked they were ready for ground running test of the engines, it will never fly but I think taxying runs are on the menu.

#497886 - 06/02/18 05:49 PM Re: Nice Mosquito soundtrack [Re: +8Rich]
Alistair Offline
Smile, it confuses them
Charter Member

Loc: Hampshire
I saw the same video clip on FB today. It is beautiful.

My dad also flew them just after the war. His comment was "the only thing better than a plane with one Merlin is a plane with two". They were one of his all time favourites.

His prior type was a Typhoon, his comment on that was "they went fast but usually broke faster".

I joined the HJ711 forum as there are some lovely posts and great people. The story behind HJ711 is amazing with the people who have devoted a massive amount of their time and personal money to rebuilding it.

http://www.mossie.org/HJ711/ if you are interested.

#497888 - 06/02/18 06:11 PM Re: Nice Mosquito soundtrack [Re: +8Rich]
+8Rich Offline

It's a great group to belong to and they have input from the Canadian and New Zealand Mossie guys and girls too.

The enthusiasm and dedication of these people is amazing notworthy.

My father was Spitfires and Mustangs for the most part but he certainly had a soft spot for the Mosquito and the way it handled.

Thanks I'll check that out.

#497909 - 06/02/18 09:09 PM Re: Nice Mosquito soundtrack [Re: +8Rich]
Paul F Offline

Talk Morgan Expert

Loc: Costock, South Nottinghamshire...
Originally Posted By +8Rich

I belong to the Mosquito group in Lincs on facebook - I was invited as my late Father had flown the type during the war, it says it's a closed group but hopefully you can view the site via the link. They are making great progress, if you can't view it let me know and I'll copy and paste a bit for you.

Last time I checked they were ready for ground running test of the engines, it will never fly but I think taxying runs are on the menu.

Many thanks. I am already a member of that group. I had missed the news that they were ready for ground running. BTW - well worth joining the “Rivet Club” at LAHC - the news emails re work on Just Jane is really interesting.
Disco 4
Teddy - 17h1 Irish Draught cross

#497910 - 06/02/18 09:23 PM Re: Nice Mosquito soundtrack [Re: Paul F]
+8Rich Offline

Originally Posted By Paul F
Originally Posted By +8Rich

Many thanks. I am already a member of that group. I had missed the news that they were ready for ground running. BTW - well worth joining the “Rivet Club” at LAHC - the news emails re work on Just Jane is really interesting.

Thanks for that, I shall give that a viewing.

#497934 - 06/02/18 11:08 PM Re: Nice Mosquito soundtrack [Re: +8Rich]
JCK Offline
L - Learner Plates On

Loc: Massachusetts, USA
I used to see the Hawker Siddley owned mossie fly at Hatfield open days in the 60s. Star of the show. Fly past and manouvers on one engine and a fabulous noise. I believe that one crashed. The prototype is preserved at Salisbury Hall.

#497937 - 06/02/18 11:19 PM Re: Nice Mosquito soundtrack [Re: JCK]
+8Rich Offline

How fantastic - you were a lucky boy to have something as special like that in your backyard.

#497939 - 07/02/18 02:25 AM Re: Nice Mosquito soundtrack [Re: +8Rich]
JCK Offline
L - Learner Plates On

Loc: Massachusetts, USA
My father worked at Hatfield for 25 years and we went to the open day every year. The factory was open for tours and the flying was wonderful. As well as Hawker Siddley's historic aircraft there were guests from the Suttleworth collection and other collections. I remember the sole Blackburn B2 doing stall turns, the Hawker Siddley 2 seat Harrier and a very noisy Vulcan. Researching Tim Birkin's Motor Works (where he developed the blower Bentley) I went to interview the daughter of his 1931-2 partner, Mike Couper. Her husband joined us--john Cunningham--the De Havilland and Hawker Siddley test pilot, who flew the Mossie and others at those open days.

Edited by JCK (07/02/18 02:32 AM)

#497964 - 07/02/18 09:10 AM Re: Nice Mosquito soundtrack [Re: +8Rich]
waikiore Offline
Learner Plates Off!

Loc: auckland new zealand
Small world, one of the pilots in that video is an old drinking mate from the yacht club, after one 'interesting' air display over the harbour he and the other Harvards headed back to Ardmore airfield and appeared shortly after at the club - after downing a very quick pint he came out with the old pilots line - any landing that you walk away from is a good one.😥

#497969 - 07/02/18 09:37 AM Re: Nice Mosquito soundtrack [Re: +8Rich]
Graham, G4FUJ Offline
Salty Sea Dog

Loc: Cheltenham, Glos. UK
A really good net on the radio this morning.
One of the members who wasn't on the other morning said he had a soft spot for TW117 and a serious down on the RN having been shot at while flying it.
Back in the 60s he had a one month flying course at Exeter (he was in the ATC). With a choice of two aircraft to fly he chose the Chipmonk as it had more instruments.
Across the airfield were several Mosquitos, used for towing targets and for radar tracking.
The pilots of these would quite often take a trainee with them for experience. As the pilots quite often became bored they would hand over control to the trainee (the aircraft were all trainers so had dual controls). Anyhow, on one of these flights over the Scilly Isles (at around 9000 ft) my friend noticed orange spurts from Navy vessels below, then the puffs of smoke some 50 yards from the aircraft. When he said to the pilot "they're shooting at us" the pilot replied that if they were really shooting at the plane they would have been hit. There were a couple of other tales too.
My pal did say that TW117 was in a museum in Norway and he really out to visit, taking his logbook, and ask if he could be reacquainted the cockpit again.

D8921 L44FOR '93 4/4 Giallo Fly 2 seat smile
'90 LR 90 SW
'07 MINI Cooper

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Aeroman, Boshly, Simon