Click here to return to the home page.
Image of a road.
Who's Online
5 registered (Bishmog, LightSpeed, RB1, M3W55, planenut), 87 Guests and 69 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
Chiltern Hills Vintgae Car Rally 19.5.19
Cape to Cape Rally -  Arrival in Falmouth.
When Things Go Wrong
M3W and new shop/garage
Factor 50 Day in the Highlands
Newest Topics
Insurance
by Grumpy2
Today at 09:35 PM
LINMOG SEARCH AND RESCUE BASE VISIT
by KEVFITZ
Today at 08:55 PM
Roadster Tires
by Don Smith
Today at 08:52 PM
Congratulations Manchester City
by scratched
Today at 05:50 PM
Little jobs..
by SteveT
Today at 05:32 PM
Beartooth Highway
by Button
Today at 03:35 PM
WW2 switches
by N22MOG
Today at 01:56 PM
Newest Members
Melissa4/4, Illia Pasko, Jazzman, Nico_M3W, mudeford gg
6502 Registered Users
Shout Box

Forum Stats
6,502 Registered Members
33 Forums
35,073 Topics
566,305 Posts

Most users ever online: 341 @ 11/02/18 10:30 PM
Today's Birthdays
dishy
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#501674 - 01/03/18 06:09 PM Ferrari admits allowing dealers to adjust mileage
Scrambledsignals Offline

Learner Plates Off!

Loc: Huntingdon

Wonder if other manufacturers would condone this?

http://a.msn.com/08/en-gb/BBJHe9g?ocid=se

#501680 - 01/03/18 06:17 PM Re: Ferrari admits allowing dealers to adjust mileage [Re: Scrambledsignals]
nick w Offline

Talk Morgan Expert

That's an amazing thing isn't it.

#501690 - 01/03/18 06:37 PM Re: Ferrari admits allowing dealers to adjust mileage [Re: Scrambledsignals]
Stewart S Offline
Wave & smile... It's a Morgan
Member of the Inner Circle

Loc: Lancashire, England
That’s a poor do isn’t it ?

I bet it goes on with lots of expensive niche vehicles as low mileages are believable and can alter the value so greatly

#501692 - 01/03/18 06:42 PM Re: Ferrari admits allowing dealers to adjust mileage [Re: Scrambledsignals]
sospan Offline
Talk Morgan Sage

Loc: Llanelli
I hope it isn't going on with Morgans. There are a lot of low mileage cars about!!!!!
The term "garage queen" may come into it though.

#501694 - 01/03/18 06:44 PM Re: Ferrari admits allowing dealers to adjust mileage [Re: Scrambledsignals]
DaveW Offline
Roadster Guru

Loc: South Yorkshire
Greed usually leads to dishonesty in one form or another.

I watched a man clock a BMW 2002 Turbo way back while I was on an audit. He did it on the dining room floor.
I played dumb.............

#501696 - 01/03/18 06:52 PM Re: Ferrari admits allowing dealers to adjust mileage [Re: Scrambledsignals]
RedThree Offline

Talk Morgan Expert

Loc: Furry Boots City
Sadly, pretty much every car with an OBD port can have its mileage set to whatever figure is required using a laptop and the right interface. Fast, cheap and easy.
Wouldn't be surprised if there are a great many dealers routinely tweaking the mileage downwards on any car that doesn't have an independent record of its mileage.

#501700 - 01/03/18 06:58 PM Re: Ferrari admits allowing dealers to adjust mileage [Re: Scrambledsignals]
+8Rich Offline

Loc: Devonshire

It's the motor trade have you met more than 3 of their ilk that you would trust - come on now hide..

#501701 - 01/03/18 06:58 PM Re: Ferrari admits allowing dealers to adjust mileage [Re: Scrambledsignals]
Budster Offline

Talk Morgan Sage

Loc: Devon
Worth always checking MoT records to see if there are mileage discrepancies.
If the selling dealer knowingly misrepresents the mileage, he will be breaking the law.

In the old days of the trade; dealers who “adjusted” mileages were known as Summertime Motors (always putting the clocks back)

#501710 - 01/03/18 07:44 PM Re: Ferrari admits allowing dealers to adjust mileage [Re: Stewart S]
OZ 4/4 Offline

Talk Morgan Expert

Loc: Australia - NSW Mid North Coas...
Originally Posted By Stewart S

I bet it goes on with lots of expensive niche vehicles as low mileages are believable and can alter the value so greatly

Wouldn't there be discrepancies with the log book particularly where and older supposedly well maintained car is presented with low mileage ?

#501716 - 01/03/18 07:52 PM Re: Ferrari admits allowing dealers to adjust mileage [Re: Scrambledsignals]
simonjrw Offline
Talk Morgan Regular

Loc: Upminster, Essex
If this happened in the UK, It could only be rolled back as far as the last MOT presuming it was over 3 yrs old, younger than that you’d have to rely on service records.......but if they’re prepared to adjust the odometer.............

#501718 - 01/03/18 08:00 PM Re: Ferrari admits allowing dealers to adjust mileage [Re: Scrambledsignals]
exbiker Offline
Learner Plates Off!

Loc: west yorkshire
What possible reason could the factory justify "clocking" the cars mileage??

#501722 - 01/03/18 08:10 PM Re: Ferrari admits allowing dealers to adjust mileage [Re: OZ 4/4]
Stewart S Offline

Originally Posted By OZ 4/4

Wouldn't there be discrepancies with the log book particularly where and older supposedly well maintained car is presented with low mileage ?

Recording mileage on the log book in the UK is not compulsary so no one bothers

The previous owner of my last Morgan put 12,000 Miles on the clock in the space of a year inbetween MOT’s - if someone was dishonest 11,000 Miles or more could have easily been wiped off without anyone knowing or being suspicious as Morgans can go for years without hardly being driven

#501729 - 01/03/18 08:31 PM Re: Ferrari admits allowing dealers to adjust mileage [Re: Scrambledsignals]
GLLOQ Offline

Talk Morgan Regular

Between the 80 '/ 90' I was working in a Wolkswagen Audi garage we were selling a lot of used cars from the French importer's collaborator, 3/4 used car 1/4 new car and 100/100 of used car with mileage counter, currently me meme I can benefit from a so-called Collaborative car that I am obliged to change every 6 months, so I think it does not cheat anymore.

I worked in different luxury car companies very little time who also played with the odometer numbers and sometimes with the numbers that hit the hammer.

So today the investors of cars of collections (Match Number) make me smile, I still have a star for hammer in 5mm of height and the initials tuning fork in 8mm of height.

#501731 - 01/03/18 08:34 PM Re: Ferrari admits allowing dealers to adjust mileage [Re: Scrambledsignals]
GLLOQ Offline

Talk Morgan Regular

diapason 8mm

#501736 - 01/03/18 08:41 PM Re: Ferrari admits allowing dealers to adjust mileage [Re: Scrambledsignals]
DaveW Offline
Roadster Guru

In the UK the first 3 years to the first MOT is the vulnerable point.

I remember a local dealer taking 80,000 miles off an 18 month old Cortina Estate and selling it to his mate.

I mixed in strange circles back then.

#501744 - 01/03/18 09:11 PM Re: Ferrari admits allowing dealers to adjust mileage [Re: Scrambledsignals]
Stringers Best Mate Offline

Talk Morgan Sage

Loc: Northamptonshire UK
The majority of modern cars have an electronic record within the ECU that can be interrogated for interruptions and distance. Running a modern car with a disconnected speedometer sensor not only causes havoc with numerous small electronic triggers, it also starts this recording process.

It's a level of interrogation that is not readily available at dealer level, I believe.

#501754 - 01/03/18 09:32 PM Re: Ferrari admits allowing dealers to adjust mileage [Re: Scrambledsignals]
+8Rich Offline

So is it only VOSA that can interrogate at that level ?

Or another DOT Dept.

#501761 - 01/03/18 10:29 PM Re: Ferrari admits allowing dealers to adjust mileage [Re: +8Rich]
pandy Offline

Talk Morgan Guru

Loc: West Paris, France
Originally Posted By +8Rich

Or another DOT Dept.

Or how about the SFO ?

It's fraud. It's outrageous.

If Ferrari are complicit in this, they should be nailed to the floor for it.

#501762 - 01/03/18 10:37 PM Re: Ferrari admits allowing dealers to adjust mileage [Re: pandy]
+8Rich Offline

Originally Posted By pandy
Originally Posted By +8Rich

Or another DOT Dept.

Or how about the SFO ?

It's fraud. It's outrageous.

If Ferrari are complicit in this, they should be nailed to the floor for it.

That could well be the case but I suspect the SFO would call on the services of an expert witness which could be DOT sourced I think.

Definitely they should be hung out to dry if proven it's disgraceful.

#501765 - 01/03/18 10:50 PM Re: Ferrari admits allowing dealers to adjust mileage [Re: Scrambledsignals]

Talk Morgan Sage

My only experience is with insurance fraud investigations. Not mine, I hasten to add..!

#501769 - 02/03/18 03:18 AM Re: Ferrari admits allowing dealers to adjust mileage [Re: Stewart S]
OZ 4/4 Offline

Talk Morgan Expert

Loc: Australia - NSW Mid North Coas...
Good point Stewart S. I was thinking more of the service log book records. I suppose an unscrupulous seller would simply present a late model, "low" mileage car with no or false service books.
Originally Posted By OZ 4/4

Recording mileage on the log book in the UK is not compulsary so no one bothers

The previous owner of my last Morgan put 12,000 Miles on the clock in the space of a year inbetween MOT’s - if someone was dishonest 11,000 Miles or more could have easily been wiped off without anyone knowing or being suspicious as Morgans can go for years without hardly being driven

#501777 - 02/03/18 08:28 AM Re: Ferrari admits allowing dealers to adjust mileage [Re: Budster]
howard Offline
Part of the Furniture

Originally Posted By Budster
Worth always checking MoT records to see if there are mileage discrepancies.
If the selling dealer knowingly misrepresents the mileage, he will be breaking the law.

In the old days of the trade; dealers who “adjusted” mileages were known as Summertime Motors (always putting the clocks back)

The adjustment gadgets are freely available on Ebay, and there have been stories of this happening for some time now.I posted about it on either this forum or PH more than 6 months ago. The MoT record isnt much use - the roll back can and is done by the owner so the trick is to do it just before each MoT test. And its not good trying to judge the owner because its quite common for high end sports cars in particular to have a new owner each year.

Have a look at digidash.

and this

and these

In the case of Ferraris, it is possible to cross check the odo reading because the gearbox ECU records time in gear and revs so a bit of quick artithmetic allows the dealer technician to estimate mileage covered which would highlight a big discrepance. Its why buying a car such as that need a PPI.

As for the legal case it looks to me like the typical US legal blackmail from someone with a grudge or on the make. Back in the old days of mechanical odometers and when my father was in the motor trade, it was way more common for Joe Public to defraud by putting the speedo on the end of an electric drill than for a dealer to do so. After all, in a dealership of 200 people, how are you going to keep something like that quiet? And whats the cost if you get caught? Joe can do it almost with impunity.

Edited by howard (02/03/18 08:31 AM)

#501778 - 02/03/18 08:45 AM Re: Ferrari admits allowing dealers to adjust mileage [Re: howard]
mph Offline
Learner Plates Off!

Originally Posted By howard

As for the legal case it looks to me like the typical US legal blackmail from someone with a grudge or on the make. Back in the old days of mechanical odometers and when my father was in the motor trade, it was way more common for Joe Public to defraud by putting the speedo on the end of an electric drill than for a dealer to do so. After all, in a dealership of 200 people, how are you going to keep something like that quiet? And whats the cost if you get caught? Joe can do it almost with impunity.

If Joe public, or even the dealer has "clocked" the car that's one thing. If the Manufacturer is directly involved then it's quite a different scenario.

#501780 - 02/03/18 08:48 AM Re: Ferrari admits allowing dealers to adjust mileage [Re: Scrambledsignals]

Talk Morgan Sage

It's all fraud if there is financial gain involved.

#501790 - 02/03/18 10:30 AM Re: Ferrari admits allowing dealers to adjust mileage [Re: Scrambledsignals]
NickCW Offline
Has a lot to Say!

Loc: Buckinghamshire
Admittedly not entirely valid in the above scenario but the article is wrong as it is not illegal to adjust the mileage on cars, you can clock a new speedometer to the correct mileage, and you can also adjust from KM/Miles for instance. What is illegal is misrepresentation, ie selling a car that appears to have lower mileage than it actually has and gaining a financial profit from this misrepresentation.

On new cars it is common practice to clock cars, new cars can be clocked a few times (limited by ECU I believe) as they get driven around when shipped, they are usually reset at the dealers. Also some cars are randomly chosen for quality checks and do road tests at the factory, so these are reset at the factory before shipping. Some new cars can be reset 2/3 times, all legally.

"What we do in life.. echoes in eternity."

#501813 - 02/03/18 11:57 AM Re: Ferrari admits allowing dealers to adjust mileage [Re: Scrambledsignals]
sospan Offline
Talk Morgan Sage

Loc: Llanelli
So Ferrari are allegedly complicite in manipulating car values? It could therefore entice new car sales based on high residual values, even appreciation.
“Our cars may be high value to buy, sir, but they will appreciate in value. A good investment for you, sir”.

#501818 - 02/03/18 12:55 PM Re: Ferrari admits allowing dealers to adjust mileage [Re: sospan]
Stewart S Offline

Originally Posted By sospan
So Ferrari are allegedly complicite in manipulating car values? It could therefore entice new car sales based on high residual values, even appreciation.
“Our cars may be high value to buy, sir, but they will appreciate in value. A good investment for you, sir”.

I think you've hit the nail on the head

#501820 - 02/03/18 01:07 PM Re: Ferrari admits allowing dealers to adjust mileage [Re: Scrambledsignals]
deano Offline

Charter Member

Loc: Taunton
Buy beware comes to mind. When buying a low mileage car do the usual tell tell signs ad up.

I have just bought a low mileage 911 and after inspecting it at the dealer with the wheels removed, confirmed it to be correct.

#501870 - 02/03/18 04:29 PM Re: Ferrari admits allowing dealers to adjust mileage [Re: Scrambledsignals]
DaveW Offline
Roadster Guru

Matching tyres and matching date codes go a long way in verifying mileage.

#501872 - 02/03/18 04:37 PM Re: Ferrari admits allowing dealers to adjust mileage [Re: Scrambledsignals]
NeilL Offline

Talk Morgan Sage

Loc: Warks
Good ploy Dave! I like that!

#501888 - 02/03/18 05:03 PM Re: Ferrari admits allowing dealers to adjust mileage [Re: Scrambledsignals]
DaveW Offline
Roadster Guru

It's the concours way Neil........................

Or points may be lost.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Aeroman, Boshly, Simon