Click here to return to the home page.
Image of a road.
Who's Online
12 registered (stefan s, Sir Percival, Gareth H, flyfisher, Gambalunga, 06032, Phil Bleazey, jbk, KevinMcR, Richard Wood, Heinz, pete757), 51 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
Turbo Plus 4 - final report
Sunny Shropshire!
As Ordered
Spring in Norway
Vehicle Lifts
Newest Topics
Garage Lift double stack Morgan cars
by BuyBritish
24/04/19 06:47 AM
Fairbourne Screen Update
by Michael H
23/04/19 09:22 PM
PSA - 1.6 Sigma - copper adapter is a weak link
by PerryP
23/04/19 06:32 PM
Turbo Plus 4 Plus -- final report
by griffo
23/04/19 04:44 PM
Dimension needed -Plus 8
by Culminator
23/04/19 04:29 PM
Tesla (your car will go moonlighting!)
by Alistair
23/04/19 02:02 PM
good new toy for smartphone photography
by Alistair
23/04/19 01:21 PM
Newest Members
Andy Hatch, Toyracer59, Roxy Plus4, RobCol, Rsglush
6471 Registered Users
Shout Box

Forum Stats
6,471 Registered Members
33 Forums
34,857 Topics
562,597 Posts

Most users ever online: 341 @ 11/02/18 10:30 PM
Today's Birthdays
ianc
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#504900 - 23/03/18 10:17 AM Re: Sonic Booms [Re: Gambalunga]
lowebird Offline
Talk Morgan Addict

Loc: norfolk, UK
I don't think we get sonic booms here in The Broads but we do get every week a couple of low flying jets ( I know nothing about 'planes ) which fly around making a really painful noise that always seems to coincide with a days sailing.
I think the thought is that our part of the world is sparsely populated so the noise they make doesn't matter but it sure spoils my day.

#504901 - 23/03/18 10:20 AM Re: Sonic Booms [Re: Gambalunga]
+8Rich Offline

Member of the Inner Circle

Loc: Devonshire
Living in South Devon we use to hear Concorde every evening as they opened up the throttles and headed out.

#504909 - 23/03/18 11:16 AM Re: Sonic Booms [Re: Gambalunga]
Ray Offline

Part of the Furniture

Loc: Llanelli
Same in s Wales. we also get a lot of NATO Jets practicing on the near by bombing range. All sub Sonic.

Edited by Ray (23/03/18 11:17 AM)

#504943 - 23/03/18 02:16 PM Re: Sonic Booms [Re: PaulJ]
Fuel.inj Offline
Learner Plates Off!

Loc: Monmouthshire, Wales
Originally Posted By PaulJ
In the days of Concorde, we in the south west used to get this double boom most days, although it was a deeper boom, rather than the 'crack' in the clip. Always impressive and more or less the same time.

Does anyone else remember this?

It was about 5.00pm every day here in Abergavenny if my memory serves me correctly.

#504952 - 23/03/18 03:15 PM Re: Sonic Booms [Re: Fuel.inj]
A11OGE Offline

Part of the Furniture

Loc: Reading
In Sussex the geese always heard the Air France Concorde on it’s evening approach to Paris but it was too silent for humans to hear.

Originally Posted By Fuel.inj
In the days of Concorde, we in the south west used to get this double boom most days, although it was a deeper boom, rather than the 'crack' in the clip. Always impressive and more or less the same time.

It was about 5.00pm every day here in Abergavenny if my memory serves me correctly.

'A Morgan is for life, not just for Sundays'

#504954 - 23/03/18 03:25 PM Re: Sonic Booms [Re: PaulJ]
Gambalunga Online   content

Loc: Mandello del Lario, Lake Como,...

What we heard here, perhaps because we are between high mountains, were two real booms (as you say not "cracks" like in the clip) and we thought that they must have been blasting for road works or excavations on the other side of the lake. It has happened that we have heard similar booms at night and thought they were night roadworks or some such. Perhaps in our area this sort of thing occurs more often than one would suspect. There are may times when we see military jets on daytime training runs along the lake and at times I have been up in the mountains at 1,000 metres and seen them pass at a lower level, probably 500 metres or less above the lake.

#504980 - 23/03/18 05:26 PM Re: Sonic Booms [Re: howard]
Stringers Best Mate Offline

Talk Morgan Sage

Loc: Northamptonshire UK
Originally Posted By howard
Originally Posted By Hamwich
Yes, it makes you realise that all our service personnel are carrying a much higher degree of risk than we normal folk would consider acceptable.

They all have my thanks and respect.

We all like to romanticise it Hamwich, but life in the forces, particularly navy and air force is in fact safer than civvy life. To quote from the offician figures " Overall, in 2015, the UK Regular Armed Forces were at a statistically significant lower risk of dying compared to the UK general population."

Some fairly ordinary occupations - truck driver for example - lead to shorter lives. And are more vital to us - try living without food!

So reality is its an interesting and exciting life for a young man with no extra risk at all. And just imagine the fun of driving a Typhoon. Got to be up there with a le Mans car. Wish my father hadnt talked me out of Dartmouth.

Of course, you see so many HGV drivers competing in the Invictus games on prosthetic limbs don't you..?

Truck stops are full of stories of being sent around the world at short notice, having restrictions placed on their lives and having to make decisions about life or death..

Typhoon driving is just like taking the old car out for a run around, of course. Any idiot can do it and there's no risk at all is there..?

doh

#504983 - 23/03/18 05:43 PM Re: Sonic Booms [Re: Hamwich]
+8Rich Offline

Originally Posted By Hamwich
Yes, it makes you realise that all our service personnel are carrying a much higher degree of risk than we normal folk would consider acceptable.

They all have my thanks and respect.

+1 They are extremely talented and very brave - they are well aware of the risk factors for sure.

#504991 - 23/03/18 06:16 PM Re: Sonic Booms [Re: Stringers Best Mate]
Gambalunga Online   content

Loc: Mandello del Lario, Lake Como,...
Originally Posted By Stringers Best Mate
Typhoon driving is just like taking the old car out for a run around, of course. Any idiot can do it and there's no risk at all is there..?

doh

And this is what happens when something goes wrong.

Unfortunately Capitano Gabriele Orlandi did not eject. RIP

#504997 - 23/03/18 06:45 PM Re: Sonic Booms [Re: Gambalunga]
+8Rich Offline

Originally Posted By Gambalunga
Originally Posted By Stringers Best Mate

doh

And this is what happens when something goes wrong.

Unfortunately Capitano Gabriele Orlandi did not eject. RIP

Was he piloting away from a built up area I wonder Peter, quite often they sacrifice themselves if they are near to a populated area.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Aeroman, Boshly, Simon