Click here to return to the home page.
Image of a road.
Who's Online
10 registered (Bunny, Neptune, KenShapiro, Alistair, Dave Turner, Michael H, LightSpeed, teifistar, skullmog, John Robie), 118 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
Vehicle Lifts
When Your Wife Understands You...
Factory visit
Welcome home...
She’s revived
Newest Topics
And you thought you had problems ?
by chocadoodledoo
19/04/19 01:15 PM
A good TV watch.....
by OZ 4/4
19/04/19 12:57 PM
Shop Manual
by LightSpeed
19/04/19 02:53 AM
2014 4/4 toe and camber
by Heinz
19/04/19 12:05 AM
Impressive Fulcrum flying
by +8Rich
18/04/19 11:43 PM
Climate Change, The Facts
by +8Rich
18/04/19 11:10 PM
Front wheel bearing
by TBM
18/04/19 09:14 PM
Newest Members
rico, Apples, muelhth1, John Robie, Del Mog
6464 Registered Users
Shout Box

Forum Stats
6,464 Registered Members
33 Forums
34,817 Topics
561,916 Posts

Most users ever online: 341 @ 11/02/18 10:30 PM
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#510383 - 26/04/18 10:19 AM Re: Where does Morgan go after the V8? [Re: +8Rich]
Alistair Online   happy
Smile, it confuses them
Charter Member

Loc: Hampshire
That was a good post thank you.

I loved the "I bought one article" which followed on from the Chris Harris driving the +8 to the Geneva Motor Show. +8 Video

Morgan taking the two massive electronic poster boards. What a great display of confidence and brand awareness. I really hope this works out for them. I intend to take the mog out to see them if possible are they still on?

The Routemaster idea is fun, wood and aluminium lined party bus. They just need to fit a huge V8 and open exhausts to bring it into line and replace the V8 in the range? Visions of Thunderbirds are go wink

#510390 - 26/04/18 10:50 AM Re: Where does Morgan go after the V8? [Re: +8Rich]
Graham, G4FUJ Offline
Salty Sea Dog
Member of the Inner Circle

Loc: Cheltenham, Glos. UK
'Fraid I had visions of On the Buses when I saw the Routemaster grin2
But, as a little 'un, I used to ride them quite regularly, so it will be good to see one still in use, even if the interior doesn't reflect the original.

D8921 L44FOR '93 4/4 Giallo Fly 2 seat smile
'90 LR 90 SW
'07 MINI Cooper

#510392 - 26/04/18 11:09 AM Re: Where does Morgan go after the V8? [Re: +8Rich]
Stringers Best Mate Offline

Talk Morgan Sage

Loc: Northamptonshire UK
I would guess that Toby Blythe is a breath of fresh air after the DeRoos year, and I think there are some great positive 'hits' so far, with a good return on investment exposure.

The Routemaster is a fantastic idea, and celebrates the Britishness idea so much further..! Wait until it stops before alighting, of course..

I just hope that MMC don't shoot themselves in the foot by promising the earth and then slipping on quality control and warranty repairs, or even releasing any new design with insufficient testing. There are too many owners that have had post purchase issues of a serious nature..!!

To have a Plus 8 with less than 8..? Nah.. Plus 6 and Plus 4 with or without an 'E', but please...always a V8.

#510393 - 26/04/18 11:41 AM Re: Where does Morgan go after the V8? [Re: Alistair]
+8Rich Offline

Loc: Devonshire
Originally Posted By Alistair
That was a good post thank you.

I loved the "I bought one article" which followed on from the Chris Harris driving the +8 to the Geneva Motor Show. +8 Video

I think the Speedster featured maybe is JB62's before the screen was fitted and the plate personalised wink.

#510399 - 26/04/18 01:22 PM Re: Where does Morgan go after the V8? [Re: Stringers Best Mate]
Hamwich Offline

Talk Morgan Guru

Loc: Gloucestershire, UK
Originally Posted By Stringers Best Mate
but please...always a V8.

Always is a long time. My view is that if MMC is looking to reach out to a wider customer base, it means appealing to a much younger demographic than the current purchasers.

Crusty old farts like us who remember the muscle cars of the 1960s with affection rather than guilt will always like the V8 despite its planet-kiling thirst for hydrocarbons, but I suspect a younger generation, raised on high efficiency, low consumption engines will not hold them in the same regard?

Given the average lifespan of a Morgan model is measured in multiple decades rather than months, I think MMC might well be looking at things a tad more strategically. If they are going to have to go through a whole new set of homologation / type approval tests for a new model, they might feel it simply isn't worth the candle to do it with an engine type that won't have broad appeal.

#510403 - 26/04/18 02:58 PM Re: Where does Morgan go after the V8? [Re: +8Rich]
Alistair Online   happy
Smile, it confuses them
Charter Member

Loc: Hampshire
Yes the JLR V8 is a monster engine but I would expect it to become end of life in the next couple of years negating a big investment by Morgan in installing it.

However even the rate of change on quite new V8 engines like the AMG 4.0 turbo V8 is unlikely to match the multi year profile as you have outlined. The gap you highlight is the root of the issue. At least people like AMG are used to working with lower volume external companies. It’s also a real belter of an engine and more than capable of being rude boy loud 8)

In my dreams.

I am certain Morgan have burnt oil on this one. They certainly have the bit between their teeth right now.

#510445 - 26/04/18 08:03 PM Re: Where does Morgan go after the V8? [Re: +8Rich]
Clipper Offline

Talk Morgan Addict

Loc: South Yorks
I'm suprised that given the +8 & Aero range is a significant part of MMC's limited product portfolio, and I assume as the article mentions, where a chunk of profit's emanate, why no replacement is ready now.

It's not as if MMC have not had time to plan for the end of the BMW engine.

DHA1G

#510466 - 26/04/18 10:16 PM Re: Where does Morgan go after the V8? [Re: Hamwich]
OZ 4/4 Offline

Talk Morgan Expert

Loc: Australia - NSW Mid North Coas...
Originally Posted By Hamwich
Originally Posted By Stringers Best Mate
but please...always a V8.

Always is a long time. My view is that if MMC is looking to reach out to a wider customer base, it means appealing to a much younger demographic than the current purchasers.

Crusty old farts like us who remember the muscle cars of the 1960s with affection rather than guilt will always like the V8 despite its planet-kiling thirst for hydrocarbons, but I suspect a younger generation, raised on high efficiency, low consumption engines will not hold them in the same regard?

Given the average lifespan of a Morgan model is measured in multiple decades rather than months, I think MMC might well be looking at things a tad more strategically. If they are going to have to go through a whole new set of homologation / type approval tests for a new model, they might feel it simply isn't worth the candle to do it with an engine type that won't have broad appeal.

Good post Tim, food for thought

#510511 - 27/04/18 10:27 AM Re: Where does Morgan go after the V8? [Re: +8Rich]
DaveW Offline
Roadster Guru

Loc: South Yorkshire
But whatever the engine is, the buying demographic is limited by the cost.

Morgan need just enough buyers to sustain continuing production.

They would probably prefer the demographic to be under 35 year old hipsters, but that's not the reality.

#510513 - 27/04/18 10:36 AM Re: Where does Morgan go after the V8? [Re: Graham, G4FUJ]
lowebird Offline
Talk Morgan Addict

Loc: norfolk, UK
Originally Posted By Graham, G4FUJ
'Fraid I had visions of On the Buses when I saw the Routemaster grin2
But, as a little 'un, I used to ride them quite regularly, so it will be good to see one still in use, even if the interior doesn't reflect the original.

Graham, you still can on a regular, scheduled route No15 from the Tower of London to Trafalgar Sq. We've done it many times and it is great fun.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Aeroman, Boshly, Simon