Click here to return to the home page.
Image of a road.
Who's Online
6 registered (docock, cerealsurfer, planenut, petemog, ewn, TheRabbit), 96 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
Autumn sunshine
GDI/Duratec clutch
Our   "new"   +4
46th National Meeting of Morgan Sports Car Club JP
My new Morgan Three Wheeler drawing
Newest Topics
1994 +8 Rear Drum Removal
by britmog
20/10/18 11:52 PM
Hello from Buckinghamshire
by BobJ
20/10/18 10:22 PM
Dashboard Mods
by GARYMYNARD
20/10/18 10:06 AM
BMW's new cockpit design
by Alistair
20/10/18 09:23 AM
Motorhome
by BobtheTrain
19/10/18 10:52 PM
Dartmouth Food Festival
by +8Rich
19/10/18 07:10 PM
Body repair shop recommendations
by Phil Bleazey
19/10/18 06:10 PM
Newest Members
KOSYNIER, Colby, Ian Francis, Tim Dinan, stef Gibson
6229 Registered Users
Shout Box

Forum Stats
6,229 Registered Members
33 Forums
33,218 Topics
527,849 Posts

Most users ever online: 341 @ 11/02/18 10:30 PM
Today's Birthdays
paul
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#519336 - 26/06/18 10:49 PM Re: ecu trouble [Re: paul]
andymot Offline

Talk Morgan Regular

Loc: East Sussex, ENGLAND
Been thinking about this for a while. many of whats been said is good advice. A couple of things spring to mind.

Partially blocked tank breather? This may cause restricted fuel flow after the 60 or so miles as a vacumn built up? Any air noise when filler cap removed? If fuel flow restricted same as excess air - either situation would show up via the "fuel trims" readings. this could be determined from live data feed via the EOBD socket into a scanner. I think unlikely as a lean code would come up i think.

Its stated the engine runs fine even thought the light is on. My best guess in this situation is you may have a lambda probe / 02 sensor ( in the exhaust) thats dodgy. Again this canbe checked via a scanner that monitors the sensor voltages - it should vary as the engine is revved - a steady voltage from an 02 sensor indicates its dead. This would ping the EML light on and the engine will still run ok as the ecu compensates.

Agree about battery voltage - modern cars are very fussy with to regard volts - even if the cars starts ok it might still have a dodgy cell causing havoc. best bet is try another battery if its more than 3-4 years old.

I know a new coil has been tried but I'd still not rule out a connection to or the coil itself. maybe breaking down as it gets hot? Was it a good, known make or ideally genuine Ford? Are the connections to it clean ( inside the connector plug) and tight?

I would pop a set of iridium plugs in to be sure as well. ( wolf performance sell these for the Sigma engine).

Before you go replacing more bits i think best bet is to get a decent scanner ( not a basic code reader) onto the car and have an in depth look at all the live data readings - this should help point you in the right direction.

One thing is for sure - its fixable!

#521981 - 12/07/18 06:04 PM Re: ecu trouble [Re: paul]
Happy Birthday paul Offline
Just Getting Started

Loc: the Netherlands
Hi all, ecu- trouble seems solved. It all had to do with earth connections, surface rust on contacts and some faulty electrical connections.
thx's for al the advice. It certainly showed me the way :-)

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Aeroman, Boshly, Simon