Click here to return to the home page.
Image of a road.
Who's Online Now
12 registered members (M3W55, rainbowj, Heinz, JoeSpeetjens, Bridegobridge, Mkiss, HeadlessBlue, paulmog, hugo, BuyBritish, teifistar, Snowden), 122 guests, and 16 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
+8Rich 254
John V6 154
CooperMan 108
Newest Topics
Upstaged again!
by PhilRoyle. 24/08/19 04:42 PM
Heater control sticking
by DJC. 24/08/19 03:19 PM
Plus 6 vs Jag - Pistonheads Review
by Fat Wolfie. 24/08/19 08:12 AM
false center nut for motolita steering wheel
by nestor59310. 23/08/19 11:00 PM
Air Filter Cover Made in Belgium
by nestor59310. 23/08/19 10:39 PM
Wood colors of "New dashboard design"
by Marmota. 23/08/19 08:56 PM
New member in Madrid, Spain.
by Marmota. 23/08/19 08:30 PM
Latest Photos
FolkMog in Wales
Roads less travelled  2
Mk 2 tool tray
Roads less travelled..?
My Morgan related badges
Newest Members
OhioM3W, Gandalf1, BigLes, Lenmog, TVRWill
6660 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums33
Topics35,958
Posts580,550
Members6,660
Most Online459
Aug 3rd, 2019
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Re: Modern Hire car versus Morgan? No contest! [Re: Jays] #536207
07/10/18 06:17 PM
07/10/18 06:17 PM
West Dorset
R
rid967 Offline OP
L - Learner Plates On
rid967  Offline OP
L - Learner Plates On
R

West Dorset
Originally Posted By Jays
The comparison is rather pointless. You are comparing a vehicle that is generally impractical, rides and handles badly ( please don’t tell me they handle better than a modern car🙄) but has character by the bucket load, to a modern practical every day car that is comfortable, doesn’t leak, reliable, well built, generally handles well and doesn’t need suspension greasing . You just cannot compare vehicles but there is room for both.

“You just cannot compare vehicles”......................you just did!
The comparison just reinforces the enjoyment we (or maybe just me?) get from a car which should have been consigned to the fifties, but hasn’t. Why do those fortunate enough to be able to fly a Spitfire in the 21st century say that it is the best plane ever designed in terms of pilot enjoyment? Sorry, there’s another comparison!

3.7 Roadster
Porsche 964 C2
JCW Mini Cooper S Cab
BMW 1200 GS
+4 4 1995-2002 / LM 62 +8 2002-07
Re: Modern Hire car versus Morgan? No contest! [Re: rid967] #536232
07/10/18 08:28 PM
07/10/18 08:28 PM
Vienna Austria
A
auster Offline
Has a lot to Say!
auster  Offline
Has a lot to Say!
A

Vienna Austria
Howard makes a fair point about us seeking to justify our decision to own and drive an anachronistic vehicle. But I think there's more to it. Modern life is de-skilling us in many ways and so by driving a vehicle that requires some skill to make it perform well we are bucking that trend. Then we take things further by driving in conditions that require endurance and exposure to the physical world of wind, sun, rain, heat and cold. In doing this we are quite rationally trying to measure ourselves against the men and women we admire; our role models from the past 1.25 centuries of motoring. We want to experience what they did, even though radar traps and multi-lane highways render that a near impossibility. At least we can escape air-conditioning, ABS and lane-keeping systems. I think we all get it, Howard too, because I'll bet that sometimes he's like me and just wants to whoop with the joy of clipping that apex and snicking second gear on the double clutch down shift. drive

1968 4/4 1600
1950 Auster J5B
Kitfox S5 Outback
Jodel D9
1988 Peugeot 205 GTI 1.9
Re: Modern Hire car versus Morgan? No contest! [Re: rid967] #536240
07/10/18 09:11 PM
07/10/18 09:11 PM
Cumbria UK
Jays Offline
Member of the Inner Circle
Jays  Offline

Cumbria UK
Originally Posted By rid967
The comparison is rather pointless. You are comparing a vehicle that is generally impractical, rides and handles badly ( please don’t tell me they handle better than a modern car🙄) but has character by the bucket load, to a modern practical every day car that is comfortable, doesn’t leak, reliable, well built, generally handles well and doesn’t need suspension greasing . You just cannot compare vehicles but there is room for both.

The comparison just reinforces the enjoyment we (or maybe just me?) get from a car which should have been consigned to the fifties, but hasn’t. Why do those fortunate enough to be able to fly a Spitfire in the 21st century say that it is the best plane ever designed in terms of pilot enjoyment? Sorry, there’s another comparison!

Yes but if you wanted to fly four people economically somewhere you wouldn’t choose a Spitfire. Just as if you wanted day to day transport you wouldn’t chose a Morgan over an everyday tin top .

Jays
Former Morgan owner. Gone but hopefully not forgotten!
Re: Modern Hire car versus Morgan? No contest! [Re: DaveW] #536243
07/10/18 09:41 PM
07/10/18 09:41 PM
Devonshire
+8Rich Offline
+8Rich  Offline

Devonshire
Originally Posted By DaveW

I think Howard is embracing the old man 'shackleton chair' philosophy, where comfort over-rides everything else. The slippery slope to velcro shoes............ somestick

He's almost there now and ready for one of these...…

Regards Richard

1999 Indigo Blue +8
2009 4/4 Sport Green
1994 Connaught Green +8

Re: Modern Hire car versus Morgan? No contest! [Re: rid967] #536244
07/10/18 09:44 PM
07/10/18 09:44 PM
Angus, UK
B
Bervie1 Offline
L - Learner Plates On
Bervie1  Offline
L - Learner Plates On
B

Angus, UK
I don’t feel the need to justify enjoying driving a Morgan (or similar) just as someone who doesn’t shouldn’t have to justify their lack of enjoyment and I respect their opinion. I’m just glad My DNA put me in the like group and not with the unfortunate others!

Re: Modern Hire car versus Morgan? No contest! [Re: auster] #536248
07/10/18 09:56 PM
07/10/18 09:56 PM
Cologne, Germany
Heinz Online content
Talk Morgan Addict
Heinz  Online Content
Talk Morgan Addict

Cologne, Germany
Originally Posted By auster
Howard makes a fair point about us seeking to justify our decision to own and drive an anachronistic vehicle. But I think there's more to it. Modern life is de-skilling us in many ways and so by driving a vehicle that requires some skill to make it perform well we are bucking that trend. Then we take things further by driving in conditions that require endurance and exposure to the physical world of wind, sun, rain, heat and cold. In doing this we are quite rationally trying to measure ourselves against the men and women we admire; our role models from the past 1.25 centuries of motoring. We want to experience what they did, even though radar traps and multi-lane highways render that a near impossibility. At least we can escape air-conditioning, ABS and lane-keeping systems. I think we all get it, Howard too, because I'll bet that sometimes he's like me and just wants to whoop with the joy of clipping that apex and snicking second gear on the double clutch down shift. drive

I have an objection at one point of your insightful text. I avoid such modern multi-lane highways. At least in my surroundings there are still the roads, which let enjoy all the beauty with a Morgan.

To look at it philosophically, we (or many of us) also use the Morgan as a vehicle in a figurative sense. Not only as a machine to move, but above all as a world of experience that expands our senses, in contrast to the uniformity of a modern car that stands for objectification and against intense experience and is on the same line with a lot of what determines life now.

Re: Modern Hire car versus Morgan? No contest! [Re: Jays] #536286
08/10/18 09:32 AM
08/10/18 09:32 AM
South Yorkshire
DaveW Offline
Roadster Guru
DaveW  Offline
Roadster Guru

South Yorkshire
Originally Posted By rid967

Yes but if you wanted to fly four people economically somewhere you wouldn’t choose a Spitfire. Just as if you wanted day to day transport you wouldn’t chose a Morgan over an everyday tin top .

I think as you get older 'economically' is way down the list of priorities!

DaveW
2005 Corsa Red Roadster S1
2016 Saffron Yellow (Narrow) Plus 4
Re: Modern Hire car versus Morgan? No contest! [Re: rid967] #536288
08/10/18 09:55 AM
08/10/18 09:55 AM
Staffordshire
I
IvorMog Offline
Talk Morgan Regular
IvorMog  Offline
Talk Morgan Regular
I

Staffordshire
We are the lucky ones who can afford to play with Morgan's and have the luxury of having ordinary cars for ordinary everyday usage.

The majority have other financial priorities and for many it is easier to knock something than to admit to oneself that really one would love to have the experience but cannot afford it.

Bit like me and a 6 month world cruise. (Not)

Bob

1999 4/4 1.8 Zetec
Re: Modern Hire car versus Morgan? No contest! [Re: KEVFITZ] #536301
08/10/18 12:19 PM
08/10/18 12:19 PM
H
howard Offline
Part of the Furniture
howard  Offline
Part of the Furniture
H

Originally Posted By KEVFITZ
Howard as a fellow Yorkshireman and as someone who was educated by Jesuits (and survived !!!) I understand your torment and confusion.

Stoneyhurst? I had a pal at college from there and he certainly was a bit damaged by the Jesuits. Not that I'm suggesting you are.

Originally Posted By KEVFITZ
I agree with Ewn I believe you have lost the joy in seat of the pants motoring..the pleasure of going on mad jaunts like my wet trip down from Newcastle just because I could.

I often do 100 mile bike rides to hurt myself a bit (the Jesuit influence !!) and feel great afterwards..indeed after writing this I will bike 70 miles to Humber Bridge ,stand on the top ,amd say a prayer for you !!!!

There will come a time when I am not fit enough to do these things so I savour every trip..it makes me feel ALIVE !!!

Howard..say three Hail Mary's and 12 Our Fathers and you will be absolved.!!!

I can understand what you are saying - after all, racing my boat in strong winds and blowing rain every week from january to April is the same sort of thing albeit less energetic. But you cant race a yacht without being exposed. You can drive a car without the hair shirt. Sorry but I just dont see the point in not taking advantage of modern technology. And by that I dont mean heated seats or bluetooth, I mean proper independant suspension, proper dual clutch box,lightweight rigid body structure, modern tyres , disc brakes etc. In other words Lotus Elise or ( if you can stomach buying French) the new Alpine.

Sure I hanker after another Fezza but I know that to buy one would be stupid. Its only about the badge really - no point in a 200 mph car when even being naughty, you arent going to exceed 100.

Re: Modern Hire car versus Morgan? No contest! [Re: auster] #536302
08/10/18 12:20 PM
08/10/18 12:20 PM
H
howard Offline
Part of the Furniture
howard  Offline
Part of the Furniture
H

Originally Posted By auster
Howard too, because I'll bet that sometimes he's like me and just wants to whoop with the joy of clipping that apex and snicking second gear on the double clutch down shift. drive

Absolutely right - its why I miss the Lotus so much. The sheer pleasure it gave down a windey road or the grin from overtaking some fat Beemer round the outside on a roundabout. And that was what was wrong with the Fezza. Not that it couldnt do the same things but that it was too ballistically fast to use to its potential, and the consequences of making a mistake were potentially too expensive.

Originally Posted By DaveW

I think Howard is embracing the old man 'shackleton chair' philosophy, where comfort over-rides everything else. The slippery slope to velcro shoes............ somestick
[i][/i]

You know how to be cruel!

Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  Aeroman, Simon