Click here to return to the home page.
Classic Morgans
Who's Online
13 registered (paddockman, pete757, Gambalunga, BobtheTrain, LightSpeed, MOGSWE, Robbie, SFG, meabh, ShaunD, Sinbad, vittorio, jr1952), 50 Guests and 14 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
Sunny Shropshire!
As Ordered
Spring in Norway
Vehicle Lifts
When Your Wife Understands You...
Newest Topics
Happy St George's day
by Neptune
23/04/19 10:23 AM
2018 +4 GDI engine - metric or imperial?
by xc68anc
23/04/19 10:17 AM
Paint code please 2012 Black
by SFG
23/04/19 10:02 AM
Google search
by Gambalunga
22/04/19 10:38 PM
Morgan Simulator
by milligoon
22/04/19 08:51 PM
Snake Pass
by Phil1953
22/04/19 06:57 PM
X100 MOG
by Peter J
22/04/19 02:43 PM
Newest Members
Andy Hatch, Toyracer59, Roxy Plus4, RobCol, Rsglush
6471 Registered Users
Shout Box

Forum Stats
6,471 Registered Members
33 Forums
34,849 Topics
562,443 Posts

Most users ever online: 341 @ 11/02/18 10:30 PM
Today's Birthdays
Lance
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#536928 - 11/10/18 07:18 PM Re: 4/4 ownership 3 years in - build quality, mods etc [Re: andymot]
ewn Offline

Has a lot to Say!

Loc: NE Scotland
Only two years for me and no modifications, but equally pleased, great to read a happy thread.

#538966 - 24/10/18 08:37 PM Re: 4/4 ownership 3 years in - build quality, mods etc [Re: andymot]
Nagrom Offline
New to Talk Morgan

Loc: The Netherlands
Interesting reading. I own a 2014 4/4 Sport. The improvements I have made are: panhard rod, break reaction bars, K&N filter, AVO shock absorbers on the rear suspension and the 125 lb springs (of the Roadster) on the front suspension. The plan for this winter is to exchange the exhaust. Cain from Wolf has a very nice manifold and a sport cat is relatively cheap (€ 200). Spring next year I will go for the remap by Cain.

Changing, the too weak standard springs made an enormous difference in roadholding and no more kling-klang when hitting speed bumps or potholes.

#539008 - 25/10/18 08:47 AM Re: 4/4 ownership 3 years in - build quality, mods etc [Re: andymot]
Heinz Offline

Talk Morgan Addict

Loc: Cologne, Germany
Welcome to the forum, Nagrom, your first post but so you are obviously a frequent reader since more than six years.
(BTW I‘m currently in your beautiful country becauce since 14 years two very old friends and myself rent a motor boat for a week to relax in the area of North Friesland, today staying in Woudsend).

I have to think again about the Panhard Rod because I was sceptical. Almost every one here, and you as well, Nagrom, who has mounted a Panhard Rod on his 4/4 has only positive comments.

#557475 - 02/02/19 04:36 PM Advice about changing the ECU on a 4/4 Sport 2 [Re: Heinz]
Nagrom Offline
New to Talk Morgan

Has anyone some experience, hopefully positive, with changing the standard 4/4 Sports ECU by e.g. an Omex or something similar? The new ECU has to communicate with the standard "body box" installed by Morgan. This box communicates with the instruments etc. The changes I already made to the car are: Aero sports exhaust with 200 cells cat and a K&N filter. I am planning for the remap by Wolf Performance in spring (waiting for better weather), but I have worries about the reliability of the standard Ford ECU, tweaked by Morgan. Some advice is welcome.

#557483 - 02/02/19 05:05 PM Re: Advice about changing the ECU on a 4/4 Sport 2 [Re: Nagrom]
Hamwich Offline

Talk Morgan Guru

Loc: Gloucestershire, UK
Originally Posted By Nagrom
I have worries about the reliability of the standard Ford ECU, tweaked by Morgan.

Is your concern about the physical reliability of the ECU, or the reliability of the engine once it is running the changed software?

On the former, I cannot see in any way how the ECU itself can be affected by the software it is running, these things are engineered to last years and years and hundreds of thousands of miles.

On the latter, Cain's map seems to be very well tested by both him and other customers, and although I have no personal experience on my car, I've heard nothing but good about it.

#557492 - 02/02/19 05:49 PM Re: Advice about changing the ECU on a 4/4 Sport 2 [Re: Nagrom]
Gambalunga Online   content

Member of the Inner Circle

Loc: Mandello del Lario, Lake Como,...
Has anyone some experience, hopefully positive, with changing the standard 4/4 Sports ECU by e.g. an Omex or something similar? The new ECU has to communicate with the standard "body box" installed by Morgan. This box communicates with the instruments etc. The changes I already made to the car are: Aero sports exhaust with 200 cells cat and a K&N filter. I am planning for the remap by Wolf Performance in spring (waiting for better weather), but I have worries about the reliability of the standard Ford ECU, tweaked by Morgan. Some advice is welcome.

I have the Omex ECU and, as you say, the original ECU is still used for the instruments. If you want to play around with tuning the calibration yourself I guess you could fit one and use it with the standard intake system but IMHO it would be a bit pointless. The Omex ECU is designed to function with individual throttle bodies and, given the availability of excellent remaps for the standard configuration, the expense and effort would not be justified.

If you really want to have fun and play with the technical stuff get a full set of Omex throttle bodies and the ECU.

http://omextechnology.co.uk/ecu-600.html

Morgan AR Motorsport did sell a kit but I don't know if it is still offered.

Omex have an excellent kit for the Plus 4 they may have one available for the 1600 4/4 too.

#557496 - 02/02/19 06:14 PM Re: Advice about changing the ECU on a 4/4 Sport 2 [Re: andymot]
Heinz Offline

Talk Morgan Addict

Loc: Cologne, Germany
Unfortunately not for the Sigma with variable camshaft adjustment on their Omex website.
But an ECU remap and a sports manifold will transform your 4/4. I would change that alone at one time. The intake pipes should not be changed at the same time I'm still not convinced of the short pipes, but that should be a different and next topic.

#557497 - 02/02/19 06:17 PM Re: Advice about changing the ECU on a 4/4 Sport 2 [Re: Hamwich]
Craig Jezz Offline

Talk Morgan Regular

Loc: Oxon
Originally Posted By Hamwich
I have worries about the reliability of the standard Ford ECU, tweaked by Morgan.

Is your concern about the physical reliability of the ECU, or the reliability of the engine once it is running the changed software?

On the former, I cannot see in any way how the ECU itself can be affected by the software it is running, these things are engineered to last years and years and hundreds of thousands of miles.

On the latter, Cain's map seems to be very well tested by both him and other customers, and although I have no personal experience on my car, I've heard nothing but good about it.

Cain did the ECU remap on my 4/4 Sport, but it’s pretty much identical to the Williams Automobiles map.

When Williams Installed my ITG air induction kit, I thought it would be agood idea to have the Williams map at the same time (they said there map worked well with the ITG kit) but when they wired it up they advised to leave It, as they are similar.

Edited by Craig Jezz (02/02/19 06:18 PM)

Morgan 4/4 Sports Sand (Williams & Wolf Tuned)

#557506 - 02/02/19 06:59 PM Re: Advice about changing the ECU on a 4/4 Sport 2 [Re: andymot]
cerealsurfer Offline
Talk Morgan Expert

A roll bar does wonders to stiffen the rear end and CNC heads and an aftermarket set of cams following.

Also ditch the heavy OEM fly for a TTV replacement.

Totally different feeling car after!

#557633 - 03/02/19 12:16 PM Re: Advice about changing the ECU on a 4/4 Sport 2 [Re: andymot]
Nagrom Offline
New to Talk Morgan

Many thanks for the replies on my post. I will go for the remap in spring. Also thanks for the suggestion to install a rollbar. I considering it, but I am a little worried about loosing luggage space and a less accessible space behind the seats. I have a 4/4 Sport with spare wheel, so no box to store the side screens. We use the car for holidays. Since I bought the Morgan in Germany, only 1,5 yrs ago with only 6000 km on the clock, the clock now reads 24500 km. We've been to Italy 3 times (Dolomites, Toscany, Umbria, The Marche). We need the luggage space, because I don't want to have a luggage rack.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Aeroman, Boshly, Simon