Click here to return to the home page.
Morgan Aero 8
Who's Online
4 registered (RB1, Scrambledsignals, sbarracl, DaveK), 120 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
Allon White trim shop . Roadster interior changes
PocketRocket - Rolling Chassis - Roadster
M3W Tour of New Zealand 2019
Concept Royal Enfield V Twin
Go Outdoors
Newest Topics
Cigarette Lighter Mobile Phone Google Maps
by DaveK
21/03/19 01:34 AM
Happy Birthday Jon G4LJW
by +8Rich
21/03/19 12:58 AM
Ideas please - Devon/Dorset
by SFG
20/03/19 09:25 PM
H&H Auction Duxford 20.03.2019 - F4
by Stephen888
20/03/19 07:47 PM
How to match glove box lock to door key
by Gambalunga
20/03/19 03:23 PM
Wheel weights
by John V6
20/03/19 12:35 PM
NEC Classic car restoration show, this weekend
by WOX9
20/03/19 08:34 AM
Newest Members
Jabax4, UTE, robert l, RogerU, GIB
6422 Registered Users
Shout Box

Forum Stats
6,422 Registered Members
33 Forums
34,574 Topics
556,905 Posts

Most users ever online: 341 @ 11/02/18 10:30 PM
Today's Birthdays
Jon G4LJW, retiredal
Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#543690 - 19/11/18 06:01 PM Re: S5- Paint Issues [Re: luckywhiteheathe]
Stef Offline
Just Getting Started

Loc: Suffolk
Hi LWH
My S5 is in the factory right now for exactly this reason - microblisters on various parts of the car usually at the edges of the paintwork i.e. around the rear lights/rear arches etc. I've not yet had a report from the factory as to why this has occurred and once resprayed I will be expected them to offer a new warranty on the paintwork to guard against the same happening in the future.
My local dealer also told me that they had another S5 going back to remedy the same thing so these seemingly aren't isolated cases!

#543695 - 19/11/18 06:21 PM Re: S5- Paint Issues [Re: Stef]
Graham, G4FUJ Offline
Salty Sea Dog
Member of the Inner Circle

Loc: Cheltenham, Glos. UK
What colour is your car?
Just curious as I've seen a couple of S5 back in the Aero "shed" lately.

D8921 L44FOR '93 4/4 Giallo Fly 2 seat smile
'90 LR 90 SW
'07 MINI Cooper

#543699 - 19/11/18 06:38 PM Re: S5- Paint Issues [Re: Graham, G4FUJ]
Stef Offline
Just Getting Started

It's matt silver Graham.

#543700 - 19/11/18 06:52 PM Re: S5- Paint Issues [Re: Stef]
luckywhiteheathe Offline
Just Getting Started

Loc: Edinburgh
Originally Posted By Stef
Hi LWH
My S5 is in the factory right now for exactly this reason - microblisters on various parts of the car usually at the edges of the paintwork i.e. around the rear lights/rear arches etc. I've not yet had a report from the factory as to why this has occurred and once resprayed I will be expected them to offer a new warranty on the paintwork to guard against the same happening in the future.
My local dealer also told me that they had another S5 going back to remedy the same thing so these seemingly aren't isolated cases!

Yeah, blistering around edges/wheel arches of rear wings, the side vents to the front wings and along their bottom edge and also between the front wings/valance.

Can I ask if you know whether they are re-spraying the car in its entirety or just the parts where the blistering has manifested itself?

I've just today asked the question of Morgan, via my dealer, what guarantee they can provide re-bits of painted body that can't be seen or where the issue hasn't (yet?) manifested itself and also in relation to the newly sprayed parts particularly given my original manufacturer's warranty will expire next spring.

2016 Aero 8
1960 MGA Roadster
2003 Ducati MS 1000

#543705 - 19/11/18 07:22 PM Re: S5- Paint Issues [Re: luckywhiteheathe]
Dean-Royal Offline

Talk Morgan Addict

Loc: UK (up north)
This infornation is drawn from the General Paint website and i do not in anyway suggest MMC have any issues with their paint or the application of their paint.

Description of problem:
Even the best paints will let water vapors through. When the vapors go inside the film, they can lead to the weakening of the adhesion between different coats. Bubbles containing water may show through.

Causes:
Contamination of the surface before spraying.
Insufficient ground coat.
Insufficient topcoat.
Inappropriate thinner.
Final coat was exposed to high humidity before it was completely hard.
Continuous exposure to high humidity / contaminated air supply.
Residue of sanding water in corners, edges, rebates and below decorative strips.
Insufficient isolation of polyester.

Remedy:
Sand carefully until all the bubbles have disappeared: In other words, if the bubbles are in the topcoat, it will have to be removed. There is always the possibility that the sanding residues fill the holes of the bubbles. The humidity that is withheld may damage the substrate. The only way to get around this kind of problem is to sand all the way through to the bare metal, clean with Valox, sand and repaint.

Note:
The presence of these types of bubbles around the headlights or taillights may be an indication of rust coming form underneath. Some micro holes in the metal might be letting the water through. The bottom of the vehicle should be well protected.

Edited by Dean-Royal (19/11/18 07:25 PM)

#543715 - 19/11/18 08:07 PM Re: S5- Paint Issues [Re: luckywhiteheathe]
Stef Offline
Just Getting Started

I should have an update from the dealer within the next few days as to exactly what the factory have done. There were quite a few panels affected as well as a couple of other paint jobs to be done at the same time:
a) upon receipt of the car when new there was a paint blemish in the middle of the passenger door
b) a stone had flicked up hard into the front wheel arch causing a pimple on the top side of the bodywork and a cracking of the paint (I find it bizarre that Morgan don't line the front wheel arches. It leaves the aluminium exposed to stone chips). I'm getting my dealer to fit liners to ensure this doesn't happen again.

I'll give you a heads up as to exactly what the factory has done once I get the update.

#543735 - 19/11/18 09:49 PM Re: S5- Paint Issues [Re: luckywhiteheathe]
Jays Offline

Member of the Inner Circle

Loc: Cumbria UK
The problem Morgan has unlike other car manufacturers is that the cars are exposed to the weather on their way down to the first paint shop for prepping and primers and then again to the second paint shop for the colour coat. I know that they do take great pride in their paint finishes which compared to many other manufacturers are pretty good.

#543741 - 19/11/18 10:13 PM Re: S5- Paint Issues [Re: luckywhiteheathe]
aerotaff Offline
Has a lot to Say!

That's a very limp excuse or observation Jays, Morgan are selling 140k motor cars

Em

#543767 - 20/11/18 06:33 AM Re: S5- Paint Issues [Re: luckywhiteheathe]
andymot Offline

Talk Morgan Regular

Loc: East Sussex, ENGLAND
I don't see that as an excuse, more a statement of fact, but get the frustration that must obviously be felt by those with cars effected. However I'm sure Morgan do as well, which is why they are putting the issues right back at base. I'd be very disappointed if my car was effected but would take comfort that its being sorted by a paintshop that fully understands Morgans.

#543770 - 20/11/18 07:27 AM Re: S5- Paint Issues [Re: Jays]
Ale_72 Offline

Has a lot to Say!

Loc: Zurich, Milan
Originally Posted By Jays
I know that they do take great pride in their paint finishes which compared to many other manufacturers are pretty good.

Sooner or later I need to take a couple of pics of the great pride on my AeroSS. Why the hell do I forgive everything to this car and this company? love

Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Aeroman, Boshly, Simon