Click here to return to the home page.
Morgan Aero 8
Who's Online
4 registered (RB1, Scrambledsignals, sbarracl, DaveK), 120 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
Allon White trim shop . Roadster interior changes
PocketRocket - Rolling Chassis - Roadster
M3W Tour of New Zealand 2019
Concept Royal Enfield V Twin
Go Outdoors
Newest Topics
Cigarette Lighter Mobile Phone Google Maps
by DaveK
21/03/19 01:34 AM
Happy Birthday Jon G4LJW
by +8Rich
21/03/19 12:58 AM
Ideas please - Devon/Dorset
by SFG
20/03/19 09:25 PM
H&H Auction Duxford 20.03.2019 - F4
by Stephen888
20/03/19 07:47 PM
How to match glove box lock to door key
by Gambalunga
20/03/19 03:23 PM
Wheel weights
by John V6
20/03/19 12:35 PM
NEC Classic car restoration show, this weekend
by WOX9
20/03/19 08:34 AM
Newest Members
Jabax4, UTE, robert l, RogerU, GIB
6422 Registered Users
Shout Box

Forum Stats
6,422 Registered Members
33 Forums
34,574 Topics
556,905 Posts

Most users ever online: 341 @ 11/02/18 10:30 PM
Today's Birthdays
Jon G4LJW, retiredal
Page 8 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Topic Options
#550181 - 26/12/18 12:02 PM Re: S5- Paint Issues [Re: Dean-Royal]
Graham, G4FUJ Offline
Salty Sea Dog
Member of the Inner Circle

Loc: Cheltenham, Glos. UK
Morgan use PPG smile

D8921 L44FOR '93 4/4 Giallo Fly 2 seat smile
'90 LR 90 SW
'07 MINI Cooper

#550195 - 26/12/18 01:12 PM Re: S5- Paint Issues [Re: luckywhiteheathe]
Lord Sward Offline
Learner Plates Off!

Loc: Grim North
You cannot expect warranty on warranty. The paintwork warranty remains the same, regardless if its just fact a factory refinish.

#550249 - 26/12/18 05:56 PM Re: S5- Paint Issues [Re: luckywhiteheathe]
TheCoot Offline
Learner Plates Off!

Loc: Midlands
Hi LWH

It's been a whilst since I've been on here. Just read this thread all the way through. I feel your pain. That said I thought I would throw in my two pence worth;

Paint on my S5 - Still perfect - it is also a 2016 car and has done just over 8k in all seasons. Something that occurred to me - are the paint colours that have suffered this standard offerings as mine is not?

MMC Service - I too used to grow frustrated with MMC over their long delays (you will see some of my past comments!) But I have learnt to grow patient with them and I find the whole experience a lot more pleasant. In the two years I have had my car it has probably been with them a good six months BUT I now leave it with them, walk away and let them know they can take their time as long as they need - just so long as the problem is perfectly rectified and does not reoccur - so far so good AND, my car often comes back with other little niggles sorted unexpectedly.

MMC Service contd. - Some years ago (around 8 to be exact) When I had an S3, I visited MMC to meet their I.T. Director (I was I.T. Director for a large national carrier and it was to compare notes). From what I saw of MMC's I.T. infrastructure it was good, but not great and they did not have a dedicated I.T. Director, just someone who'd job it was to handle I.T. (Excellent chap and dedicated but someone who was previously and still was to some degree hands on engineering). This in my view was typical, but a mistake for a company of this size - my point being, I think it was Hamwich that mentioned they should install software to manage customer service - I agree - but whilst ever an organisation looks upon I.T. as a necessary evil rather than an enabler (by not dedicating resource full time along with the right budget, strategy and board buy in), the technology/organisation will always be playing catch up. I have known small and large organisations embrace technology (rather than "lip service" as so many use) and flourish - it still needs people mind (as Hamwich points out - Customer Service personnel) to manage it.

S5 - To keep or not to keep....that is the question? - Two years ago I bought a new Jaguar F Type S - (superb car - superb value). At the time, many people on here said I would ditch the S5 and stick with the F Type. I very nearly did this year and my S5 was up for sale for a few months. I had fallen out of love with it due to all the issues. BUT, two weeks ago, I sold the F Type (whilst the S5 was at the factory!!). Why? Simple - because even though the S5 has been a pain in the proverbial fault wise and the F Type has been a joy, in my view driving the S5 is like nothing else and the more I drove it whilst it was up for sale the more I realised it was special and I would miss it - so it's staying and the F Type went. I am so glad I did not let it go as I now think all the fettling has been done and I would have simply handed someone a great, fettled car to enjoy.

By the way....for the record, I keep my S5 in an air chamber which I'm sure may help look after the paint. Merry Christmas all and Happy new year :-)

#550472 - 27/12/18 11:26 PM Re: S5- Paint Issues [Re: luckywhiteheathe]
Shooter Offline

Has a lot to Say!

Loc: Oreton, Shropshire
MMC used Glasurit during 2008/9 for sure but they did change at some point after that to a different company.
Aero 8 GTN. #10
Aero 8 S5.... #10

#550521 - 28/12/18 12:54 PM Re: S5- Paint Issues [Re: Shooter]
Peter J Offline
Formerly known as Aldermog

Loc: Salisbury, UK
I think MMC sources its paint from PPG..

#550528 - 28/12/18 01:41 PM Re: S5- Paint Issues [Re: Peter J]
Graham, G4FUJ Offline
Salty Sea Dog

Loc: Cheltenham, Glos. UK
As stated in post # 550181 above grin2

D8921 L44FOR '93 4/4 Giallo Fly 2 seat smile
'90 LR 90 SW
'07 MINI Cooper

#550604 - 28/12/18 09:03 PM Re: S5- Paint Issues [Re: luckywhiteheathe]
Lord Sward Offline
Learner Plates Off!

Loc: Grim North
If its not PPG, the Steve Morris has been thanking the wrong company for assisting with Geneva for the last half dozen years or so.

#550625 - 29/12/18 07:24 AM Re: S5- Paint Issues [Re: Shooter]
Stewart S Offline
Wave & smile... It's a Morgan

Loc: Lancashire, England
Originally Posted By Shooter
MMC used Glasurit during 2008/9 for sure but they did change at some point after that to a different company.

Yes my 2008 Mog paint is Glasurit

#554333 - 17/01/19 04:11 PM Re: S5- Paint Issues [Re: Stef]
Stef Offline
Just Getting Started

Loc: Suffolk
Hi Lucky, well I eventually got a response from the factory as to what works they had done on the car and I quote, "Due to the nature of corrosion present on the vehicle, we had to full strip and repaint the whole of the car."
With regards the warranty for the new paintwork they say, "Should they experience any future problems then we would treat each case individually and investigate from there. There is no set time or policy for any Warranty Repair for Paintwork."

Let me know how you get on with your repairs.

Originally Posted By Stef
Originally Posted By luckywhiteheathe
Hi Stef,
I was just wondering whether you'd had more feedback on your paint issue and warranty going forward?
Cheers.....

Hi Lucky - well the car finally arrived back from the factory on Friday afternoon and I must say looks excellent - like new again. I still don't know exactly what has been done or what future warranty is to be offered as the dealer hasn't heard the full lowdown from Morgan as yet. I suspect that only the affected panels were removed from the car and resprayed (not the entire car).
What was a little disappointing was that there were small things that weren't as they were when I gave them the car i.e. a loose wire hanging down in the boot, the clamp on the battery has been put back on in the wrong place so that I can't open the cover for the terminals, my 12V jack lead is missing from the glove box. Small issues that are easily rectified but that just jar somewhat.
Anyway the car does certainly look better than when it was handed over to the factory 2 months ago. I will keep you posted once I know more about the warranty. Have a great Christmas.

#554515 - 18/01/19 02:28 PM Re: S5- Paint Issues [Re: Stef]
luckywhiteheathe Offline
Just Getting Started

Loc: Edinburgh
Thanks for the update Stef. That all sounds very positive. Taking my car back to the dealer early next week to have it transported back to the factory... it's booked in for the 28th.

Will keep you posted.....

2016 Aero 8
1960 MGA Roadster
2003 Ducati MS 1000

Page 8 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderator:  Aeroman, Boshly, Simon