Click here to return to the home page.
Image of a road.
Who's Online
13 registered (Chunky4/4Racer, mph, brianhun, sospan, Hamwich, David_E, Tim W, jr1952, V8Dave, SFG, DJC, petemog, Wirewheel), 100 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
Plus 4 in autumnal evening sun
Cuthbert's BMW Trike
Pic to go with thread on GDI oil breather
Morgans on parade in the the NZ summer
QE 2....not quite!!!
Newest Topics
Have a great Christmas 2018 everybody.
by DaveW
Today at 01:51 PM
XMAS PRESENT FOR THE URBAN MORGAN OWNER
by KEVFITZ
Today at 01:16 PM
Good Bye V8...Hello "Something"
by Peter J
Today at 12:21 PM
KING PIN GREASE
by Steve19
Today at 10:27 AM
Fuel caps
by Culminator
Today at 09:38 AM
Brushed aluminum ?
by osten
Today at 09:18 AM
So much for Christmas spirit in certain hotels
by Jack The Lad
Today at 09:16 AM
Newest Members
gary sartor, Bonesie, Ben, jejemel, jk-sky
6307 Registered Users
Shout Box

Forum Stats
6,307 Registered Members
33 Forums
33,757 Topics
538,033 Posts

Most users ever online: 341 @ 11/02/18 10:30 PM
Today's Birthdays
Jack81, Mmartin
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#546682 - 06/12/18 10:43 AM A question for the weather experts
Hamwich Online   content

Talk Morgan Sage

Loc: Gloucestershire, UK
Today's Met office forecast gives an outlook of 'Thick cloud' today at 12:00 with a 58% chance of precipitation.

At 14:00 the outlook is for 'Light Rain', but the chance of precipitation has dropped to only 37%

So if it's not the chance of precipitation actually occurring, what drives the selection of summary symbol?

#546692 - 06/12/18 11:35 AM Re: A question for the weather experts [Re: Hamwich]
+8Rich Offline

Member of the Inner Circle

Loc: Devon UK
There can be no other workers that get paid irrespective of continual poor results - sorry Bankers probably take the prize for that.
Like Bankers fortunately we don't rely on them either do we grin2 They're both like politics only ever a transitional period of minor irritation that passes like a good curry.

The only accurate weather forecast I get is by asking one of my local farmer friends they are very accurate, they need to be.

#546697 - 06/12/18 12:35 PM Re: A question for the weather experts [Re: Hamwich]
Neptune Offline

Just Getting Started

The one that really winds me up is 50%
The forecast predicts a 50% chance of rain/snow/other weather condition.
So basically they are saying it might or might not rain etc, talk about hedging your bets. 50% chance means they are guaranteed to be right
Grrrrrr

#546701 - 06/12/18 12:43 PM Re: A question for the weather experts [Re: Hamwich]
Fat Wolfie Offline
New to Talk Morgan

Loc: West Yorkshire
The thing with weather forecasts on a TV is they spend half the time telling you what the weather has been like today.....which they do because you sit there thinking “yes, yes, quite right” etc.

Then when they tell you what it will be like tomorrow, you are in a positive frame of mind towards the presenter and more willing to accept what they are saying is true...then it doesn’t happen, but as the cycle repeats itself you fall for it again.

#546702 - 06/12/18 12:51 PM Re: A question for the weather experts [Re: Hamwich]
recycled-teenager Offline

Has a lot to Say!

Loc:
accuracy
https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/about-us/who/accuracy/forecasts
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018...e-bbc-rejection

Precipitation
https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/news/in-depth/science-behind-probability-of-precipitation
https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/guide/weather/symbols

I have a keen interest in weather and became a commercial Yacht Master in 1988 where met was a topic.

I think the met office does a good job especially with all the variables forecasting our island weather

#546710 - 06/12/18 01:12 PM Re: A question for the weather experts [Re: Hamwich]
lowebird Offline
Talk Morgan Expert

Loc: norfolk, UK
The best site I have found is "wind guru" This gives you hour by hour wind speed, gusts, rain, temp etc for a specific location. It has proved to be a great site for sailing and Morganing.

#546724 - 06/12/18 02:27 PM Re: A question for the weather experts [Re: lowebird]
CooperMan Offline

Learner Plates Off!

Loc: Yorkshire
Originally Posted By lowebird
The best site I have found is "wind guru" This gives you hour by hour wind speed, gusts, rain, temp etc for a specific location. It has proved to be a great site for sailing and Morganing.

Any good for 'post curry consumption' forecast ? blush

#546739 - 06/12/18 04:19 PM Re: A question for the weather experts [Re: CooperMan]
lowebird Offline
Talk Morgan Expert

Loc: norfolk, UK
Originally Posted By CooperMan
Originally Posted By lowebird

Any good for 'post curry consumption' forecast ? blush

Didn't work after last nights effort!! exting

#546752 - 06/12/18 05:17 PM Re: A question for the weather experts [Re: Neptune]
Graham, G4FUJ Offline
Salty Sea Dog
Member of the Inner Circle

Loc: Cheltenham, Glos. UK
Originally Posted By Neptune
The one that really winds me up is 50%
The forecast predicts a 50% chance of rain/snow/other weather condition.
Grrrrrr

Slightly better. Local radio Pascagoula MS (so probably coming from NOLA) - "this afternoon there is a 50% probability of possible rain showers".
Fortunately, I wasn't driving. The shipping agent's driver couldn't understand why I was rofl

D8921 L44FOR '93 4/4 Giallo Fly 2 seat smile
'90 LR 90 SW
'07 MINI Cooper

#546779 - 06/12/18 07:52 PM Re: A question for the weather experts [Re: Hamwich]
auster Offline
Talk Morgan Regular

Loc: Vienna Austria
Originally Posted By Hamwich
Today's Met office forecast gives an outlook of 'Thick cloud' today at 12:00 with a 58% chance of precipitation.

At 14:00 the outlook is for 'Light Rain', but the chance of precipitation has dropped to only 37%

So if it's not the chance of precipitation actually occurring, what drives the selection of summary symbol?

Tim my meteorology course was 46 years ago so I'm a bit foggy on terminology these days and like the forecast, I'm not sure I will be much help. The language of forecasting is meant to be quite precise. "Thick cloud" was not in the vocabulary when I learnt but I keep hearing it being used. In my day oldgit it would be given its proper name; nimbus, stratus, CB etc. Thick cloud? How thick?

It's important to note that rain is rain, showers are showers and precipitation is precipitation. So if you are getting wet under a shower - that's not rain! Or if you are being precipitated upon, that could be either a shower or rain or sleet or snow. Light rain is likely to be consistent and over a significant period of time, unlike a shower. Precipitation can be any of the above. I think the forecast you have means they can't make up their minds. Best forecasts are those for aviation. Check out TAFs and METARS. I'll just put the anorak back on and head for bed now. umbrella
Jodel D9
1988 Peugeot 205 GTI 1.9

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Aeroman, Boshly, Simon