Click here to return to the home page.
Image of a road.
Who's Online
3 registered (Graham, G4FUJ, M3W55, BLG83), 108 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
SwanMog Christmas party
Finished Plus 4 Side View
Mkiss Mog +4 fourseater
Management of cooling air flow
Morgan Rutherford Modsports +8
Newest Topics
12 volt wiring help please!
by Fat Wolfie
15/01/19 07:09 PM
Ford VW Alliance confirmed
by +8Rich
15/01/19 06:56 PM
Spotted this web site
by Jack The Lad
15/01/19 02:43 PM
Jubilee Sailing Trust
by Gambalunga
15/01/19 02:13 PM
Just in case....
by Gambalunga
15/01/19 02:07 PM
nc 500 advice
by B3MOG
14/01/19 08:25 PM
Towing a trailer in France
by Island Mog
14/01/19 08:18 PM
Newest Members
PJS, 250swb, Mkiss, jacquesj, Dodger
6332 Registered Users
Shout Box

Forum Stats
6,332 Registered Members
33 Forums
33,973 Topics
543,315 Posts

Most users ever online: 341 @ 11/02/18 10:30 PM
Today's Birthdays
olleyjp, tarutino
Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#546955 - 07/12/18 08:15 PM Re: Air Intake improvements [Re: Craig Jezz]
CooperMan Offline

Talk Morgan Regular

Loc: Yorkshire
Originally Posted By Craig Jezz
Here’s mine, 1.6 Sigma engine though

Proper ram air effect thumbs

#546956 - 07/12/18 08:21 PM Re: Air Intake improvements [Re: CooperMan]
IvorMog Offline

Talk Morgan Regular

Loc: Staffordshire
I can't comment fully because I don't have a Roadster and the original Cooperman pics don't show the whole intake path. The V6 mustang is a better photo in that respect so if anyone has that perspective from the same model Roadster it would be nice to get that posted here.

However, IMHO what Cooperman has done will not spoil the tuning of the system because it's all on the dirty side of the intake and he has not altered the clean side at all.

By the time the resonance gets through the filter it's strength is gone anyway and as I say, from what I can see, there are no changes between the ports and the filter.

The dirty side of the airbox is there predominantly to make the system quieter and collect cool air.

I'd be interested to see where the throttle body is in the Roadster intake system.

1999 4/4 1.8 Zetec Silvertop

#546957 - 07/12/18 08:29 PM Re: Air Intake improvements [Re: CooperMan]
Heinz Offline

Talk Morgan Addict

Loc: Cologne, Germany
Originally Posted By CooperMan
Thanks for the comments Heinz & Deejay, but if you look at photo 1, the factory solution is just to saw off part of the bottom to create a hole, certainly doesn't look scientifically calculated to me

On the 3 ltr engines all the proper science took place after the throttle body in the intake tracts

Thats what I said also, Jon. I later added some text concerning this issue.

Edited by Heinz (07/12/18 11:32 PM)

#546981 - 07/12/18 11:24 PM Re: Air Intake improvements [Re: IvorMog]
Deejay Offline
L - Learner Plates On

Loc: North Somerset, UK
Originally Posted By IvorMog
I can't comment fully because I don't have a Roadster and the original Cooperman pics don't show the whole intake path. The V6 mustang is a better photo in that respect so if anyone has that perspective from the same model Roadster it would be nice to get that posted here.

However, IMHO what Cooperman has done will not spoil the tuning of the system because it's all on the dirty side of the intake and he has not altered the clean side at all.

By the time the resonance gets through the filter it's strength is gone anyway and as I say, from what I can see, there are no changes between the ports and the filter.

The dirty side of the airbox is there predominantly to make the system quieter and collect cool air.

I'd be interested to see where the throttle body is in the Roadster intake system.

I can’t profess to be an expert on this, but I agree that air boxes were originally introduced simply to diminish the induction noise. However, it was then taken a step further by mathematical design, to achieve resonance in the mid range, where torque may typically drop off due to valve overlap on modern engines. Resonant design means that air flow through the box is at a maximum, with little restriction. So that is all happening and remains happening within that particular rev range, on the dirty side, allowing maximum air flow in through the filter to engine. Any large holes cut in the box are bound to upset the point at which resonance occurs and could poorly affect torque where it is most needed. Possibly, what MMC have done by chopping a hole in the bottom is not very scientific but can’t help feeling that even more holes will destroy any resonant capabilities that may have existed.
The argument is easily settled of course by taking it for a thrash but to be more certain, by a dyno-test of before and after.

#546993 - 08/12/18 12:08 AM Re: Air Intake improvements [Re: CooperMan]
Richard Wood Offline
Has a lot to Say!

Loc: East Harling, Norfolk UK
Pic here showing throttle body on 3.7 Roadster.

Short and sweet plumbing between air box and throttle. No silencing chambers. Filter box just beyond top centre. Intake manifold can just be seen bottom right.

Adding weight to the dirty air inlet design discussion its interesting to note that the several after market V6 Mustang cool air tuning kits I looked at all used a custom shaped airbox to enclose a K & N style fabric filter.

Here's a typical one.

2018 Roadster - Red/Magnolia - "Morton"
1967 Land Rover series 2a SWB
1960 Velocette Venom

#547306 - 10/12/18 01:34 PM Re: Air Intake improvements [Re: CooperMan]
CooperMan Offline

Talk Morgan Regular

Not very easy to photograph in a dim garage but this is the location of the factory air in

Bottom of the air filter box, quite a small oblong hole & only a couple of inches above the Clutch bellhousing which gets hot

and close to footwell bulkhead, which can't be good for a smooth flow of cool air

The airbox is pretty simple Ford item, the throttle body is just out of shot under the bonnet hinge

Here...

#547355 - 10/12/18 07:55 PM Re: Air Intake improvements [Re: CooperMan]
IvorMog Offline

Talk Morgan Regular

By modern automotive standards, the way Morgan have set up the air-box is relatively crude and I can't see why your mod should do any harm. Surely it will allow better quality, cooler air into the system and I really don't think it will affect the resonances of the system.

Is your throttle "fly by wire" and effectively co-located next to the MAF sensor because I can see the MAF but not what I call a conventional throttle body?

#547442 - 11/12/18 12:15 PM Re: Air Intake improvements [Re: CooperMan]
CooperMan Offline

Talk Morgan Regular

Bob, yes it's fly by wire you can just see the black cable going in under the bonnet hinge line, the red security clip for the plug can just be seen (part covered)

I assume the problem with the 3.7 rev hang is difficult to cure because of the complexities of fly by wire via the ECU setup, at least on the 3.0 S1 it was cable, and hence driver controlled

#547446 - 11/12/18 12:31 PM Re: Air Intake improvements [Re: CooperMan]
IvorMog Offline

Talk Morgan Regular

Thanks Jon,

Now I can understand also why the rev hang is such an issue.

The ECU controls the throttle opening and the fuel and ignition. Tricky.

#547473 - 11/12/18 03:06 PM Re: Air Intake improvements [Re: CooperMan]
DaveW Offline
Roadster Guru
Member of the Inner Circle

Loc: South Yorkshire
The GDI is the same, but without the rev hanging.

Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  Aeroman, Boshly, Simon