Click here to return to the home page.
Image of a road.
Who's Online
3 registered (M3W55, Graham, G4FUJ, BLG83), 108 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
SwanMog Christmas party
Finished Plus 4 Side View
Mkiss Mog +4 fourseater
Management of cooling air flow
Morgan Rutherford Modsports +8
Newest Topics
12 volt wiring help please!
by Fat Wolfie
15/01/19 07:09 PM
Ford VW Alliance confirmed
by +8Rich
15/01/19 06:56 PM
Spotted this web site
by Jack The Lad
15/01/19 02:43 PM
Jubilee Sailing Trust
by Gambalunga
15/01/19 02:13 PM
Just in case....
by Gambalunga
15/01/19 02:07 PM
nc 500 advice
by B3MOG
14/01/19 08:25 PM
Towing a trailer in France
by Island Mog
14/01/19 08:18 PM
Newest Members
PJS, 250swb, Mkiss, jacquesj, Dodger
6332 Registered Users
Shout Box

Forum Stats
6,332 Registered Members
33 Forums
33,973 Topics
543,315 Posts

Most users ever online: 341 @ 11/02/18 10:30 PM
Today's Birthdays
olleyjp, tarutino
Page 9 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Topic Options
#551794 - 04/01/19 10:38 PM Re: Air Intake improvements [Re: Heinz]
Rog Offline

Talk Morgan Regular

Loc: Sumerset
Originally Posted By Heinz
Roger, thanks for your detailed answers. It should not ne too difficult when I cut some cardboard to reduce the efficiency of the aluminium radiator, which consequently to your thoughts should help to lower the water temperature of the engine.

I have understood the consequences and effects but I haven't really fully understood how it works and how the connection between the warm bypass water and the cooler radiator water come together.

I assume that both water hoses meet before the thermostat. But how is the mix determined, and why does too little cold water seem to come into the circuit towards the engine behind the stat when the new radiator cools so well, better than the old smaller plastic radiator? But the engine runs hotter...

Your cardboard experiment will be interesting.

I don’t know the detail of the Sigma so can only attempt an explanation on the Duratec.

Below is a pic of the Duratec showing the coolant paths and how they mix at the stat housing. Also a pic of my old 90deg stat. Note the stat is a double valve arrangement. The primary valve is pretty standard. The secondary valve is the plunger at the end that seals against a seat in the block. When the primary valve opens to let the rad coolant into the block the secondary valve closes off the hot by-pass coolant.

As said before it looks like it is dependent on a precarious temperature balance between the hot and cooled coolants that might hold the answer. Just a wacky theory…… smile

#551835 - 05/01/19 09:35 AM Re: Air Intake improvements [Re: CooperMan]
Richard Wood Offline
Has a lot to Say!

Loc: East Harling, Norfolk UK
FWIW the coolant bypass whether it's integrated into the block or an external pipe, is always a narrower bore than main rad cooling circuit.

This is the case with conventional cylinder head or rad return thermostat location.

2018 Roadster - Red/Magnolia - "Morton"
1967 Land Rover series 2a SWB
1960 Velocette Venom

#551853 - 05/01/19 11:03 AM Re: Air Intake improvements [Re: Richard Wood]
BertR Offline

Talk Morgan Regular

Loc: Aerdenhout, The Netherlands
When I replaced broken radiator with a Mulfab alluminium one, I noticed a drop in the cooling water temperature. This must be because the Mulfab one being made from alluminium and being larger. As I did not like the esthetics of the new radiator sticking out from below the front, I got a stubby valance from Wolff Engineering, to cover it up as well as to get some extra protection. Result is that the running temperature is slightly up again.
In order to lower the under bonnet temperature, I installed bonnet extenders from John Taylor. This also provides some extra free volume around the itg air filter, which should help breathing. An additional bennefit is the increased sound level from the air intake.

I wonder if closing the gap at the bottom between radiator and front of engine (as mentioned earlier in this discussion) would be of additional help to help both air intake temperature and flow (given the bonnet extenders).
Cheers,
Bert

#551867 - 05/01/19 11:59 AM Re: Air Intake improvements [Re: CooperMan]
DaveW Offline
Roadster Guru
Member of the Inner Circle

Loc: South Yorkshire
It's not a difficult job Bert, because you can start with a flat sheet of aluminium, and improvise. I've done it on each of mine. Of course it's impossible to really evaluate the outcome, but none of mine have run hot, even last summer.

#552351 - 07/01/19 01:17 PM Re: Air Intake improvements [Re: CooperMan]
Guten Offline
Learner Plates Off!

Loc: Lincolnshire
I had a good run today and I'd say the new deflector plate made no difference whatsoever. Still gives an indicated 96 once fully warmed up at 40 to 50 and got up to 102 at 70 on a long gentle hill, just about 100 at 70. The fan didn't come on as far as I could tell. I will leave the plate there to see what happens in the summer.
It seems like the thermostat is controlling the inlet temperature to the engine and the dashboard water temperature gauge is reporting the outlet i.e. 88 deg inlet constant but the more the load the higher the outlet temperature.

crazy2

Edited by Guten (07/01/19 03:12 PM)

Page 9 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderator:  Aeroman, Boshly, Simon