Click here to return to the home page.
Image of a road.
Who's Online
18 registered (CooperMan, kar120c, Oakvillian, Michael P, Snowden, Matt C, Richard Wood, marshalben, M3W55, petemog, Nonsuch, Graham, G4FUJ, MorganMotor, hugo, MJF, John Winn, +8Rich, Fuel.inj), 103 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
Plus 4 in autumnal evening sun
Cuthbert's BMW Trike
Pic to go with thread on GDI oil breather
Morgans on parade in the the NZ summer
QE 2....not quite!!!
Newest Topics
Have a great Christmas 2018 everybody.
by DaveW
18/12/18 01:51 PM
XMAS PRESENT FOR THE URBAN MORGAN OWNER
by KEVFITZ
18/12/18 01:16 PM
Good Bye V8...Hello "Something"
by Peter J
18/12/18 12:21 PM
KING PIN GREASE
by Steve19
18/12/18 10:27 AM
Fuel caps
by Culminator
18/12/18 09:38 AM
Brushed aluminum ?
by osten
18/12/18 09:18 AM
So much for Christmas spirit in certain hotels
by Jack The Lad
18/12/18 09:16 AM
Newest Members
gary sartor, Bonesie, Ben, jejemel, jk-sky
6307 Registered Users
Shout Box

Forum Stats
6,307 Registered Members
33 Forums
33,757 Topics
538,022 Posts

Most users ever online: 341 @ 11/02/18 10:30 PM
Today's Birthdays
Jack81, Mmartin
Topic Options
#546825 - 07/12/18 10:41 AM Colin Chapman and Morgan
Max5 Offline

Talk Morgan Regular

Loc: Ayrshire
I have just read Eoin Young's "Jim Clark and his most successful Lotus" and came across a discussion between the author and Colin Chapman when Chapman said that the only logical successor to the Lotus Seven "was a Morgan-style three-wheeler, with a modern motorcycle engine". The discussion took place in 1977.........
Another, perhaps little known interesting fact from the same book was that Clark won four Grand Prix on the same set of tyres on his Lotus 25 R4!

Edited by Max5 (07/12/18 10:42 AM)

#546860 - 07/12/18 01:50 PM Re: Colin Chapman and Morgan [Re: Max5]
Bunny Offline

Talk Morgan Regular

Loc: Leicestershire, UK
Tony Divey worked for Lotus at that time and apparently was one of Colin Chapman's inner circle. It must have been at around the same time that he was developing the Triking 3 wheeler. That may be what Mr Chapman was alluding to? I wonder if there were any discussions about making it a Lotus model? History might have been quite different if they had.

#546862 - 07/12/18 02:06 PM Re: Colin Chapman and Morgan [Re: Bunny]
P Dron Online   NoMood

Has a lot to Say!

Originally Posted By Bunny
Tony Divey worked for Lotus at that time and apparently was one of Colin Chapman's inner circle. It must have been at around the same time that he was developing the Triking 3 wheeler. That may be what Mr Chapman was alluding to? I wonder if there were any discussions about making it a Lotus model? History might have been quite different if they had.

See Chapter 3 of my Morgan 3 Wheeler book.

#547000 - 08/12/18 07:37 AM Re: Colin Chapman and Morgan [Re: Max5]
Fuel.inj Online   content
Learner Plates Off!

Loc: Monmouthshire, Wales
Interesting fact regarding Jim Clark racing at a number of meetings on the same set of tyres. He was known to be an extremely smooth yet fastest driver which paid off most of the time by getting his Lotus over the finishing line compared to some of the competition.

#547010 - 08/12/18 08:52 AM Re: Colin Chapman and Morgan [Re: P Dron]
Bunny Offline

Talk Morgan Regular

Loc: Leicestershire, UK
Originally Posted By P Dron
Yes, I've just re-read a couple of chapters. I'd forgotten what a good read it is! I find the insight into the whole Liberty Ace/Morgan relationship most interesting. Any plans for a second edition? somestick

#547069 - 08/12/18 04:01 PM Re: Colin Chapman and Morgan [Re: Bunny]
P Dron Online   NoMood

Has a lot to Say!

Yes, I've just re-read a couple of chapters. I'd forgotten what a good read it is! I find the insight into the whole Liberty Ace/Morgan relationship most interesting. Any plans for a second edition? somestick

I am pleased that you enjoyed it. The answer to your question is NO! Writing car books involves a lot of effort for insufficient reward. I am glad I wrote that one, though. I felt that the interesting story should be told and that I was one of very few people who knew the facts.

#548306 - 16/12/18 09:17 AM Re: Colin Chapman and Morgan [Re: Bunny]
PaulV Offline
Talk Morgan Regular

Loc: Oxon

Indeed a good book. Just spilt my tea extracting it from my bedside library (under Chickenhawk, Freakonomics, Starkey’s Magna Carta, BP book on Industrial Archeology etc). I forget if Peter mentions it but I thought I read / heard somewhere (maybe that BBC radio reference) that Morgan originally anticipated 100 road and 100 racer M3W 5speeds...

#548323 - 16/12/18 11:20 AM Re: Colin Chapman and Morgan [Re: PaulV]
Gambalunga Offline

Member of the Inner Circle

Loc: Mandello del Lario, Lake Como,...
Tony Divey once offered me a left hand drive partially completed Triking. He said he had started building it for an American but at the end the sale fell through. I have often wondered if this was the Triking originally intended for Pete Larsen before he gave up on the idea and started to "cook" his own.

It has to be said that Tony was not all that well at the time and may have been suffering from the onset of alzheimer's compounded by a stroke. The last time I spoke to him he was obviously struggling to express himself. He told me that he was really having trouble to continue with the Triking business.

He was a truly nice person an I was very sad to hear of his death.

#548342 - 16/12/18 01:18 PM Re: Colin Chapman and Morgan [Re: Gambalunga]
P Dron Online   NoMood

Has a lot to Say!

Originally Posted By Gambalunga
Tony Divey once offered me a left hand drive partially completed Triking. He said he had started building it for an American but at the end the sale fell through. I have often wondered if this was the Triking originally intended for Pete Larsen before he gave up on the idea and started to "cook" his own.

It has to be said that Tony was not all that well at the time and may have been suffering from the onset of alzheimer's compounded by a stroke. The last time I spoke to him he was obviously struggling to express himself. He told me that he was really having trouble to continue with the Triking business.

He was a truly nice person an I was very sad to hear of his death.

I never met Tony Divey but that tallies with the opinions of others who did. He was greatly liked as well as admired.

Moderator:  Aeroman, Boshly, Simon