Click here to return to the home page.
Image of a road.
Who's Online
3 registered (norcal_moggirl, ShaunD, M3W55), 65 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
The winter M3W
SwanMog Christmas party
Finished Plus 4 Side View
Mkiss Mog +4 fourseater
Management of cooling air flow
Newest Topics
Spot lights
by Craig Jezz
18/01/19 11:23 PM
Aero Air Bag Help
by jonathan7barrow
18/01/19 08:05 PM
VDO Clock Set
by AZJowett
18/01/19 06:23 PM
ROY POW power pack gets the Roadster started ...
by dmh
18/01/19 05:57 PM
Workshop Note -Steering Damper
by DaveW
18/01/19 05:19 PM
fan knob only working on one speed
by tom+4
18/01/19 04:49 PM
S&S X-Wedge Manual Found!
by AZJowett
18/01/19 03:22 PM
Newest Members
PJS, 250swb, Mkiss, jacquesj, Dodger
6332 Registered Users
Shout Box

Forum Stats
6,332 Registered Members
33 Forums
33,991 Topics
543,896 Posts

Most users ever online: 341 @ 11/02/18 10:30 PM
Today's Birthdays
BertR
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#548338 - 16/12/18 12:28 PM New guy from Surrey saying hello and advice ! :-)
Bonesie Offline
Just Getting Started

Loc: Surrey
Hi Folks,

Im Carl, or Bones, Bonio or Bonesie as I have been known as forever. Im ex RAF and now running my own small one man band business. The misses is a school office manager. Originally from Leeds, we now live Nr Dorking in Surrey. Probably like most of you guys, Im really into engineering. I tinker about a lot making 'stuff' on my lathe etc in my small workshop.

Both myself and my wife have been long time admirers of Morgan cars but until now have not been in the position to purchase. We have tentatively looked around the cars over at Bell and Colvill in Horsley and chatted to the very helpful guy there.

However, we simply dont want to spend the cash on a new car and would rather buy a pre-loved example. So that brings me on to some usual questions you have probably all been asked beforehand, but Im a noob, so here I am.

I will break them down in bullet points !

We are looking for a 2 seater - four wheeler.

1) Can I get a decent car with a budget of 25k ? I understand the more you pay, usually the better car you get but 25k is my upper limit. ( probably :-)

2) Are there any models or years I should specifically avoid, for example if they had specific engine trouble with one model or whatever ?

3) While im not buying the car as an investment, I do believe Morgans will hold their value well if I chose the right car at the right price?

4) Any clubs in Surrey ? Any clubs worth joining that bring benefits, price off stuff, servicing etc ?

5) We know the car will not be super comfy and expect that. How are they on longer runs ! Me and treacle have romantic notions of B&B hopping through France etc Would that smash our backs to bits at journeys end ! flag

6) Q 5 brings me on to luggage space. I guess you guys that do long runs travel light right!

7) leg room and width room. Im 6Ft, will i struggle or is there enough leg room. Bum room, me and the wife are not racing snakes, hows the bum room !!

We are booked in for the factory tour in Feb so cant wait for that thumbs

Cheers folks. I look forward to hearing from you all

Bonsie

cheers

Edited by Bonesie (16/12/18 12:28 PM)

'Life is like a garden, dig it' *Joe Dirt farmer

#548340 - 16/12/18 12:40 PM Re: New guy from Surrey saying hello and advice ! :-) [Re: Bonesie]
Neilda Offline
Part of the Furniture

Loc: Surrey. UK
Greetings... I sent you a PM as we are near neighbours.

#548343 - 16/12/18 01:36 PM Re: New guy from Surrey saying hello and advice ! :-) [Re: Bonesie]
MOG 615 Offline
Has a lot to Say!

Loc: London
Welcome from the other side of London.

Lots of questions there, you will probably get a great variety of differing opinions from everyone here , and others in the Morgan fold.

1 You can certainly get a good car for £25k. I would encourage you to start narrowing down your choice to which model you want before going too much further. One piece of advice is not to buy "because its cheap" . Morgans are bought and sold on condition, much more than year or mileage.

2 I suspect you will be looking at the 4 cylinder cars initially. The +4 and 4/4 are both great. The more recent ones especially so. The 1.6 Ford Sigma engined 4/4 is a cracker and the 2.0 Ford Duratec engined +4 is a great all rounder. The secret is to try as many cars as you can , and only then will you know what you want.

3 Cars post 86 were treated with Cuprinol on the wood at build and are definitely longer lasting. Cars post 97/98 have the stainless steel valences and bulkhead, which is also well worthwhile. Please buy a Morgan to drive it , not as an investment, that said they do keep their value probably better than anything else out there currently, but only if well maintained and driven.

4 Join the MSCC and the Surrey Centre (HopMog) in particular , come along to their meetings and talk to other owners.

5 The ride can be improved with aftermarket kit from SSL, but try one first before going down that route . My wife and i cover more than 5000 miles every year just touring in our +8, and it is wind noise and the sun that bothers us more than the ride. It is never going to be "magic carpet" but it is not that bad either.

6 Luggage space is a perennial issue BUT there are solutions around , a luggage rack at the rear helps enormously as do custom made cases for the inside.

7 I have known 6' 6'' drivers fit in Morgans , admittedly with some adjustment, but it is possible. The seats are pretty comfy and will grip you well, just keep trying out different ones until you find one that suits.

8 I know you have spoken with Bell & Colvill , but there is another dealer close enough to you , BHM in Borough Green , Kent . They are really good people and will find something for you I am sure. They have a 4/4 at just above your budget and several others
http://www.morgan-cars.com.

Edited by MOG 615 (16/12/18 01:42 PM)

#548345 - 16/12/18 02:04 PM Re: New guy from Surrey saying hello and advice ! :-) [Re: Bonesie]
Gallanach Offline

Just Getting Started

Loc: West Sussex
Welcome to the site, my own story may help you - I purchased a 4/4 about 10 years ago for about 20K used it as my every day car for 3 yrs and 30K miles then sold it for slightly more than I had paid for it. It was a short door car which my wife found rather cramped it was however very 'chuck-able' I looked after it myself which I enjoyed. Was Morgan less for a short while but the itch returned and I have purchased a 4.6 plus 8 long door
which is a very different car, the wife finds the extra room very useful and would be happy to travel long distances in it.
May I suggest you hire one to see if you both are comfortable and the luggage space is sufficient. Do get in touch if you want to have a chat we are near Billingshurst.

#548346 - 16/12/18 02:07 PM Re: New guy from Surrey saying hello and advice ! :-) [Re: Bonesie]
rainbowj Offline

Has a lot to Say!

Loc: Purton, nr Swindon UK
Bonesie, I bought my 1992 plus4 privately for £19,000 in 2013 (doesn't seem that long ago!) and I have made some upgrades. Goes well. If you buy privately check the bulkhead is not rusty. This is very expensive to replace and they were not stainless steel until late '90's.

#548348 - 16/12/18 02:16 PM Re: New guy from Surrey saying hello and advice ! :-) [Re: Bonesie]
+8Rich Offline

Member of the Inner Circle

Loc: UK
Welcome to TM and most importantly enjoy choosing your Morgan, try a few as suggested and best to go for the top end of your budget. It's a good time of year to be buying too, it's worth letting a couple of local dealers know exactly what you are in the market for they often know when their customers are about to change theirs. BHM in your area are a marvellous fair dealer.

Neilda is local and is on his 2nd one now and will be a great help, he doesn't wear the rose tinted spectacles but loves his Morganing.

If you are a club person join the MSCC where advise and knowledge is also available.

This is a good site for general model information and technical knowledge on most models. Morgans

#548350 - 16/12/18 02:33 PM Re: New guy from Surrey saying hello and advice ! :-) [Re: Bonesie]
Paul F Offline

Talk Morgan Expert

Loc: Costock, South Nottinghamshire...
Welcome to TM. Some good advice already above. We paid £13k for our first 4/4 in 2003 and traded it in for more than that in Dec-13. You will certainly get a good car for your budget but - in your price range - good cars do sell quickly. The advice re letting dealers know what you want is particularly good - some of them keep a list of people looking for certain cars and the cars can get sold before they appear on a web site. Our old car sold in 2 weeks - with Christmas in the middle of that 2 weeks - by the dealer we p-ex’d it with.

Re comfort - we get a bit stiff if we try and do much more than 300 miles in a day but then that is true regardless of the car we are in. We regularly exceed 2000 miles in a holiday through mainland Europe in our 4/4. Motorways are not the best places to be in a Morgan - but we can comfortably cover lots of miles on them if forced. The by-roads of France and Germany are great and we try to spend most of our time away from the motorways.

Good luck with your quest - you may need to travel to find the right car - or to enable the right car to find you. The MMC web site has a car finder which can be quite helpful.
Disco 4
Teddy - 17h1 Irish Draught cross

#548359 - 16/12/18 03:02 PM Re: New guy from Surrey saying hello and advice ! :-) [Re: Bonesie]
John V6 Offline

Loc: Suffolk
Get cases from Hills alive luggage. They swallow stuff & even my wife finds she can pack for 2 weeks if we have a case on the back also.

25k should find you a decent car.

#548364 - 16/12/18 03:20 PM Re: New guy from Surrey saying hello and advice ! :-) [Re: Bonesie]
Bonesie Offline
Just Getting Started

Loc: Surrey
Cheers guys, some great advice I will certainly act on.
I think thats great advice for me to chat to the dealer, and to hire one first.

Ive had a little sniff around some sites as well as a well known auction site. I dont know what the mods are like for people posting links, but there appears to be something like I'd be after FS at 25k, 2005, black, long door, duratec engine etc.

So folks, do you guys do tinkering yourself ? Ive had a couple of MGB GTs and XJS's in the past so Im well used to a bit of spannering ! though certainly no expert. Apart from the obvious , the running gear is pretty simple, right ?

Bonsie

'Life is like a garden, dig it' *Joe Dirt farmer

#548368 - 16/12/18 03:52 PM Re: New guy from Surrey saying hello and advice ! :-) [Re: Bonesie]
+8Rich Offline

Loc: UK
Originally Posted By Bonesie
Cheers guys, some great advice I will certainly act on.
I think thats great advice for me to chat to the dealer, and to hire one first.

Ive had a little sniff around some sites as well as a well known auction site. I dont know what the mods are like for people posting links, but there appears to be something like I'd be after FS at 25k, 2005, black, long door, duratec engine etc.

So folks, do you guys do tinkering yourself ? Ive had a couple of MGB GTs and XJS's in the past so Im well used to a bit of spannering ! though certainly no expert. Apart from the obvious , the running gear is pretty simple, right ?

Bonsie

The management are happy with links Bonsie so fire away, other than blatant product placement.

As far as spannering goes around half are happy doing their own, I enjoy it but it's not for everyone. They are very basic cars on an engineering level as you say, it's only the ECU area and associated sensors misbehaving that makes it frustrating. The OBD2 socket is your friend combined with a dongle and an iPhone I have learnt on here. Up to now I have not needed to interrogate any of mine so haven't invested in one. Neilda has one I know and will be able to explain properly unlike me.

Arwyn and Button have many years experience on lots of Morgan's and are happy to share their knowledge thankfully for the rest of us thumbs .

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Aeroman, Boshly, Simon