Click here to return to the home page.
Classic Morgans
Who's Online
2 registered (kankeL, pandy), 51 Guests and 64 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
Driving the Blue Ridge just south of Roanoke
Searching for somewhere scenic...
Custom made storage box for luggage rack
Southern Weather comes North
Island of Muhu in the rain
Newest Topics
Amilcar Hispano 12Litre V8
by +8Rich
Yesterday at 10:39 PM
Coating overidders black?
by dmh
Yesterday at 08:02 PM
David Gilmour Guitar Auction
by MJF
Yesterday at 07:37 PM
Donkervoort D8 GTO-RS
by Gambalunga
Yesterday at 05:59 PM
squeaking on bulkhead area
by PhilRoyle
Yesterday at 04:19 PM
Plus 4GDI first MOT
by DaveW
Yesterday at 12:33 PM
Tribute to the DC3
by Graham, G4FUJ
Yesterday at 10:32 AM
Newest Members
PaulyG, René, Bodensee-Mog, Pip, jakexj9000
6556 Registered Users
Shout Box

Forum Stats
6,556 Registered Members
33 Forums
35,410 Topics
571,416 Posts

Most users ever online: 341 @ 11/02/18 10:30 PM
Today's Birthdays
JMc, Julian BB, kevinh, topdown
Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#550369 - 27/12/18 01:18 PM Re: 1.6 ltr to weedy ? [Re: Chilliblu]
bilibib Offline

L - Learner Plates On

Loc: Ross-on Wye, Herefordshire
Originally Posted By Chilliblu
Only a personal point of view but I have recently bought my first Morgan. Before doing so I rented a 4/4 from a dealer for the weekend. Great car but it was more suited to winding country roads than motorways and dual carriageways.
I have now bought a Plus 4 and the difference is noticeable. The Plus 4 seems much more comfortable keeping up with modern traffic on 70mph roads. Again only a personal view but i am very happy with my decision and there is a noticable difference between the 1.6 and the 2.0.

Motorways and Dual Carriageways! If you want to drive fast,straight and fume laden roads, then use a Tintop for all the fun you will get out of it. There is always an alternative route available rather than using the tarmac rails
Royal Ivory, Dark Red Leather

#550376 - 27/12/18 02:26 PM Re: 1.6 ltr to weedy ? [Re: bilibib]
Bonesie Offline
Learner Plates Off!

Loc: Yorkshireman living in Surrey
Originally Posted By bilibib
There is always an alternative route available rather than using the tarmac rails

True, but if Im going anywhere other than the shops or a razz around the countryside then motorway driving is pretty much unavoidable.

Taking an alternative route could literally add hours onto a journey. On motorways power is king and can get you out of sticky spots.

I suppose its a balancing act. I like to drive in a 'spirited' way but I also like the power of a big engine for the boring A-to-B drive. We would love to tour around France - Germany etc , maybe the 1.6 with two people and loaded with a bit of kit could get tiresome ?

I guess I have to decide where most of the driving will be and whats more important. getting from A to B or slinging it around UKs countryside :-)

Thanks for all the answers guys, lots to think about for sure !

Current stead -'The Captain' Black +4

'Life is like a garden, dig it' *Joe Dirt farmer

#550377 - 27/12/18 02:27 PM Re: 1.6 ltr to weedy ? [Re: SFG]
Bonesie Offline
Learner Plates Off!

Originally Posted By SFG
That looks like the recommendation then ; plus 4 and bigger for motorway work. 4/4 for chucking about.

One of each, perfect cheers

#550378 - 27/12/18 02:31 PM Re: 1.6 ltr to weedy ? [Re: Craig Jezz]
Bonesie Offline
Learner Plates Off!

Originally Posted By Craig Jezz

Gorgeous. shades

#550427 - 27/12/18 06:58 PM Re: 1.6 ltr to weedy ? [Re: Bonesie]
Heinz Offline

Talk Morgan Addict

Loc: Cologne, Germany
Originally Posted By Bonesie
Originally Posted By bilibib
There is always an alternative route available rather than using the tarmac rails

True, but if Im going anywhere other than the shops or a razz around the countryside then motorway driving is pretty much unavoidable.

Taking an alternative route could literally add hours onto a journey. On motorways power is king and can get you out of sticky spots.

I suppose its a balancing act. I like to drive in a 'spirited' way but I also like the power of a big engine for the boring A-to-B drive. We would love to tour around France - Germany etc , maybe the 1.6 with two people and loaded with a bit of kit could get tiresome ?

I guess I have to decide where most of the driving will be and whats more important. getting from A to B or slinging it around UKs countryside :-)

Thanks for all the answers guys, lots to think about for sure !

I have had my 4/4 tuned, ECU remap and a sport manifold show 150 Hp and 180 Nm whichnis not too bad concerning the light weight.
The manifold is designed for medium speed optimization. I would* recommend my tuning immediately, the car is very powerful and even in 5th gear I usually don't have to shift down on medium gradients. The top speed is not so decisive, but in 4th gear the car reaches 160 km/h impressively fast and willingly, and it keeps this speed in 5th gear without effort, if not on the straight track 185 km/h, which I drove only once as a test, gps tested.

But I see a problem. The new exhaust regulations are so strict that the car wouldn't stand up to an exact test. The reason is that the 300 cell metal catalytic converter is now much further away from the engine and will only warm up later. So you always have a small remaining risk, because not everything is legal anymore.

Two years ago I didn't see it so strict, but the controls are getting harder and harder, also because of the whole driving ban and the Dieselgate story in our country.

*On the other hand
When you buy a Plus4, you have enough easy power for the highway. I think I would drive away with my 4/4 every series Plus4 as long as I am alone in the car and without luggage. But if you want to be mentally relaxed, the Plus4 is the safer choice, everything is legal. The disadvantage is that the gdi engine can't just be tuned but with one exception (but I have the feeling that you don't really have that in mind either. The exception is, there is a tuning possibility at MMC, for later planning an upgrade to this Sports edition for the gdi engine, I can't remember the exact name...I think Club Sport.

#550433 - 27/12/18 07:45 PM Re: 1.6 ltr to weedy ? [Re: Bonesie]
Craig Jezz Offline

Talk Morgan Regular

Loc: Oxon
I have the ITG induction kit and the ECU remap, they work really well together, and very noticeable at the higher rev range.

I have no trouble on motorways and hills.

I also have the Librands Sports exhaust, but the manifold is standard. The exhaust didn’t make any noticeable difference in performance, but it all plays a nice tune that makes me smile.

As you can see I like pictures if that’s ok ?

Edited by Craig Jezz (27/12/18 07:46 PM)

Morgan 4/4 Sports Sand (Williams & Wolf Tuned)

#550456 - 27/12/18 09:25 PM Re: 1.6 ltr to weedy ? [Re: Bonesie]
Alistair Offline
Smile, it confuses them
Charter Member

Loc: Hampshire
Way to clean for me - yikes. notworthy

#550468 - 27/12/18 10:56 PM Re: 1.6 ltr to weedy ? [Re: Alistair]
Button Offline
Talk Morgan Enthusiast

Loc: Seattle, USA
Originally Posted By Alistair
Way to clean for me - yikes. notworthy

As well it is way, way to clean for Me. I take pride in having a nice coating of dust and mud undercarriage. I would prefer there was not oil and grease dripping from every corner but it would not cause Me to loose sleep. However the "Electrical Gods" really like a clean Morgan. For that reason alone I use My trusty pressure washer liberally. It is a warm day endeavor and My Washer has a bottle for detergent which I find makes the task easier and cleaner. All 3 of My Morgans do not have horsehair or water absorbing materials in the interior. Except the seats. I take the seats out when it is pressure wash time. Not for everybody, particularly someone who has spent a lot to get a Morgan of their dreams.

#552777 - 09/01/19 04:57 PM Re: 1.6 ltr to weedy ? [Re: Bonesie]
Bonesie Offline
Learner Plates Off!

Ive seen another car, an older one. It has a T16 Rover 2ltr
Anyone with any experience of this engine ?

#552838 - 09/01/19 07:50 PM Re: 1.6 ltr to weedy ? [Re: Bonesie]
Graham, G4FUJ Offline
Salty Sea Dog
Member of the Inner Circle

Loc: Cheltenham, Glos. UK
Plenty of torque, Rover R380 gearbox. Quite long legged for touring. Owned a '97 for a year (unfortunately, as it was the same width as a similar age +8 it was too wide for easy manoeuvre along my driveway so I ended up keeping the '76 x-flow 4/4). Enjoyed it while it resided with me though smile

D8921 L44FOR '93 4/4 Giallo Fly 2 seat smile
'90 LR 90 SW
'07 MINI Cooper

Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Aeroman, Boshly, Simon