Click here to return to the home page.
Classic Morgans
Who's Online
19 registered (Sir Percival, srapendle, bmgermany, Gambalunga, Peter J, paulmog, Ross, Andrew Kidney, ewn, Stewart S, beneviro, sospan, Heinz, esse16, mise303, Malcolm T, Burgundymog, Randy, dogmog), 101 Guests and 14 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
SwanMog Christmas party
Finished Plus 4 Side View
Mkiss Mog +4 fourseater
Management of cooling air flow
Morgan Rutherford Modsports +8
Newest Topics
Wine with a difference
by Gambalunga
16/01/19 06:01 PM
12 volt wiring help please!
by Fat Wolfie
15/01/19 07:09 PM
Ford VW Alliance confirmed
by +8Rich
15/01/19 06:56 PM
Spotted this web site
by Jack The Lad
15/01/19 02:43 PM
Jubilee Sailing Trust
by Gambalunga
15/01/19 02:13 PM
Just in case....
by Gambalunga
15/01/19 02:07 PM
nc 500 advice
by B3MOG
14/01/19 08:25 PM
Newest Members
PJS, 250swb, Mkiss, jacquesj, Dodger
6332 Registered Users
Shout Box

Forum Stats
6,332 Registered Members
33 Forums
33,974 Topics
543,413 Posts

Most users ever online: 341 @ 11/02/18 10:30 PM
Today's Birthdays
olleyjp, tarutino
Page 7 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Topic Options
#553372 - 12/01/19 09:28 AM Re: 1.6 ltr to weedy ? [Re: Craig Jezz]
Rog Offline

Talk Morgan Regular

Loc: Sumerset
Originally Posted By Craig Jezz

I can feel the axel slide on roundabouts (more so when I have a heavy passenger when entering at higher speeds) I don’t like this feeling. Maybe it’s because I’m too used to my every day car BMW 3 series M Sport Xdrive

I don’t know about axle slide but I think that I might have had movement in the shackles (ouch!). I had a loud metallic click or clunk from the rear when cornering hard. It was a bit disconcerting for swmbo. It ceased straight away when I put the panhard rod on.

Bump stops can stop body roll too smile

#553426 - 12/01/19 12:07 PM Re: 1.6 ltr to weedy ? [Re: Craig Jezz]
Heinz Online   content

Talk Morgan Addict

Loc: Cologne, Germany
Heinz , have you ever driven a 4/4 with the Panhard Rod ? ? ...Those on here with the Panhard Rod have had positive results, maybe some axels slide more than others.

I can feel the axel slide on roundabouts (more so when I have a heavy passenger when entering at higher speeds) I don’t like this feeling. Maybe it’s because I’m too used to my every day car BMW 3 series M Sport Xdrive

Craig, I have only experiences concerning a Panhard Rod with a Plus4 Supersport and a 2010 Roadster. Both cars had much more engine power than a 4/4 and both were and felt much heavier in a different way each of them.
Ok, my engine is only short of 150HP which is not weak but iuckily the engine and the whole car feels light and nimble.

Regarding the P4SS the PR was no negative influence it was there from new and the suspension felt just right but that was a different sort of car where also two anti tramp bars were installed, one from new and one I had added. And the car had quite heavy wheels etc. So everything was on the opposite direction in terms of stiffening, even a roll case which was an option would have stiffed it further more.

With the Roadster, the PR was retrofitted and it was very uncomfortable. When I drove vertically over a bump in the road, the seat would swing horizontally to the side, causing back pain. Maybe the harmony of the parts wasn't right or the angle of the PR wasn't optimal, I don't know. But without PR the chassis was very harmonious in this case.

I am also curious to drive a 4/4 (other, not mine) with PR just to learn and make the experience. It can probably give you more control, also because the tires are so narrow and high profile on the 4/4, which may increase the feeling of insecurity.

But my philosophy is different with this car than with the Mogs. before. Tuned tighter springs. front and rear, adjustable dampers and not much more.
The 4seater leaf springs have made the car much more drivable. That stronger leaf spring was enough to prevent the cardan shaft from hitting the underbody when pulling away.

I love the simplicity and the life of this car. The way it is now, everything fits together beautifully. Even if the Panhard Rod would make the car more controlled or sporty without any negative influence, I could suddenly regret having too little engine power etc etc..I don't want to activate the vicious circle.

#553427 - 12/01/19 12:08 PM Re: 1.6 ltr to weedy ? [Re: ewn]
Craig Jezz Offline

Talk Morgan Regular

Loc: Oxon
Originally Posted By ewn
I dare say the leaves of my springs have possibly mated better over time and although not visibly worn, the tyres have changed too, I think I’m at about 10k miles, perhaps these things have an effect.

I also run my tyres at a higher pressure than standard, I can’t remember what that is, I just blew them up a bit until it felt right.

I’ll be fifty this year too by the way Craig, I was very sensible when I was young, but I’m making up for it now! laugh2

I'm driving down to Williams Automobiles for my 50th (13.03.19) with a few others. I cant think anything else better to do midweek. A bit too far for you Ewn ?

Morgan 4/4 Sports Sand (Williams & Wolf Tuned)
BWM 320d M Sport Xdrive

#553429 - 12/01/19 12:19 PM Re: 1.6 ltr to weedy ? [Re: Rog]
Heinz Online   content

Talk Morgan Addict

Originally Posted By Rog

I don’t know about axle slide but I think that I might have had movement in the shackles (ouch!). I had a loud metallic click or clunk from the rear when cornering hard. It was a bit disconcerting for swmbo. It ceased straight away when I put the panhard rod on.

Bump stops can stop body roll too smile

Rog, the loud metallic click and clunk sound I had too! It disappeared after about 20.000 km without a trace. The reason is said to be the bearing clearance of the BTR axle which is not adjustable by shims. But in the course of time this has resolved itself.

#553433 - 12/01/19 12:31 PM Re: 1.6 ltr to weedy ? [Re: Bonesie]
Chunky4/4Racer Offline
Talk Morgan Expert

Loc: South West England
1.6L Sigma I here you ask about

I can do anything from our own Williams Morgan remap to a full engine build which makes 260bhp.

Please take a look at my YouTube channel. You will see plenty of footage the 4/4 race car I built for my boss, Henry Williams.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8O1xn0j2z0Pz_hE6TMZ9kA?view_as=subscriber

I'm happy to discuss with you anything Morgan related.

Edited by Chunky4/4Racer (12/01/19 12:32 PM)

Instagram - WilliamsMotorsportuk
- Lawrie Mills(Chunkylozza)

Youtube - ChunkyLozza

#553435 - 12/01/19 12:42 PM Re: 1.6 ltr to weedy ? [Re: Bonesie]
Heinz Online   content

Talk Morgan Addict

Lawrie, 260 HP in „my“ 4/4 without adding any (substantial) weight should be an experience where I don‘t know if I am in heaven or in hell...

#553438 - 12/01/19 12:49 PM Re: 1.6 ltr to weedy ? [Re: Heinz]
Chunky4/4Racer Offline
Talk Morgan Expert

Loc: South West England
Originally Posted By Heinz
Lawrie, 260 HP in „my“ 4/4 without adding any (substantial) weight should be an experience where I don‘t know if I am in heaven or in hell...

Only one way to find out!!!!

Instagram - WilliamsMotorsportuk
- Lawrie Mills(Chunkylozza)

Youtube - ChunkyLozza

#553441 - 12/01/19 01:07 PM Re: 1.6 ltr to weedy ? [Re: Heinz]
nick w Offline

Talk Morgan Enthusiast

Originally Posted By Heinz

Might very quickly end up in one or the other on a wet day.....!

#553866 - 14/01/19 10:04 PM Re: 1.6 ltr to weedy ? [Re: Craig Jezz]
ewn Online   content

Has a lot to Say!

Loc: NE Scotland
Thank you very much for the kind invite Craig, I’d love to join you, but you’re right, I looked it up and it’s too far for me, believe it or not, even Norway is considerably closer!!!

Page 7 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderator:  Aeroman, Boshly, Simon