Click here to return to the home page.
Image of a road.
Who's Online
2 registered (rossocorsa, Elcyd), 31 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
Last snowman waves goodby from deep Bavaria
 Morgan 1909 Runabout Electric Replica
VictoryMog June 2019 Form and Car Passes
2019 Classic Car & Restoration Show
Triumph TR4a-IRS
Newest Topics
Oh dear!
by Scrambledsignals
25/03/19 01:48 AM
Roll on Friday!
by Mac39
24/03/19 11:53 PM
At last the affordable 917K ;-)
by +8Rich
24/03/19 10:41 PM
Speedo dial
by DaveK
24/03/19 08:58 PM
4/4 Wings
by DaveK
24/03/19 08:45 PM
chrome rear view mirror
by Chilliblu
24/03/19 06:28 PM
Tarka is 5 years old
by Peter J
24/03/19 05:47 PM
Newest Members
Jabax4, UTE, robert l, RogerU, GIB
6422 Registered Users
Shout Box

Forum Stats
6,422 Registered Members
33 Forums
34,620 Topics
557,809 Posts

Most users ever online: 341 @ 11/02/18 10:30 PM
Today's Birthdays
RJobso, Stuart Mort
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#550333 - 27/12/18 10:53 AM Re: Car underside cleaning [Re: Hamwich]
BobtheTrain Offline

Charter Member

Loc: Renfrewshire
Originally Posted By Hamwich
I switched from Waxoyl to Bilt-Hamber Dynax S50

I'll need to ask Preserve & Protect if they have heard of this.

#550341 - 27/12/18 11:24 AM Re: Car underside cleaning [Re: Rob Thornton]
Wirewheel Offline

Talk Morgan Addict

Loc: South Warwickshire
Bob, I had my Morgan professionally under sealed with Dinitrol from new. The factory also uses Dinitrol now, less than a year ago when the local undersealer retired, Morgan brought the process in house, into a purpose build workshop.

Earlier this year I had my brand new MX5 professionally under sealed with Dinitrol.
When the professionals do it you need to leave the car with them for a few days.
They power wash the underneath, they remove the removable panels and inner wing covers, they leave the car in a heated booth to ensure the car. Is bone dry and they then mask up to protect the car from overspray.
Eddie Cairns on here, did a excellent video of the process on the MX5 forum.

Wild Mogs "Carried on to the Isle of Man" 2017
Wild Mogs "Carried on to Caramulo" 2016

#550349 - 27/12/18 11:53 AM Re: Car underside cleaning [Re: Peter J]
Deejay Offline
L - Learner Plates On

Loc: North Somerset, UK
Originally Posted By Peter J
Originally Posted By Max5
Bob - are winter tyres worth it? Very definitely!! I fit them every Nov. and leave them on till the end of March.

Just had winter wheels and tyres fitted to the AMG C43. Michelin Pilot Alpine rubber. The worst part was that to fit them I had to buy a set of alloy wheels to fit over the massive brakes. The result, whilst eye-wateringly expensive, is that the car now feels glued to the road.

I've considered winter tyres for the Plus 8, but again 4 new alloy wheels needed to clear the discs and calipers, so for the milage I drive in winter a bit indulgent.

As to washing the underside, I don't.

Pity winter tyres don’t prevent someone else sliding into you, which is just as likely if you drive in slippery conditions! Sod’s law!

#550354 - 27/12/18 12:05 PM Re: Car underside cleaning [Re: Rob Thornton]
sospan Offline
Talk Morgan Sage

Loc: Llanelli
Bob, I use Dinitrol. I have aerosols and that makes it easier then a Shultz gun. I use a hose attachment with a swivel head to wash the underside when puddles are not available. I am planning to clean up the car whilst on axle stands soon too. Wheels off and full clean.
Looking to get new tyres soon and may get the alloys refurbished as the inner surfaces are starting to suffer.
I also make sure the car is DRY before Dinitrol is used. Warm air drier moved round to cover the whole underside.

#550359 - 27/12/18 12:34 PM Re: Car underside cleaning [Re: Peter J]
docock Offline

Just Getting Started

Loc: Berkshire UK
Originally Posted By Peter J
Originally Posted By Max5
Bob - are winter tyres worth it? Very definitely!! I fit them every Nov. and leave them on till the end of March.

Just had winter wheels and tyres fitted to the AMG C43. Michelin Pilot Alpine rubber. The worst part was that to fit them I had to buy a set of alloy wheels to fit over the massive brakes. The result, whilst eye-wateringly expensive, is that the car now feels glued to the road.

I've considered winter tyres for the Plus 8, but again 4 new alloy wheels needed to clear the discs and calipers, so for the milage I drive in winter a bit indulgent.

As to washing the underside, I don't.

If you need convincing about winter tyres watch this and the companion video of the improvement in braking performance

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfuE00qdhLA

Both our cars transfer onto winter tyres every November.

Last year,the Audi Q3 Quattro with winter tyres was unstoppable. What was even more impressive was the performance of the Mini on winter tyres. Managed to pass a number of BMW's 4*4's who were stuck with wheels spinning pointlessly. Made my day!

Just had my daughters car fitted with Michelin all season tyres. Worth every penny in bad weather.

#550361 - 27/12/18 12:44 PM Re: Car underside cleaning [Re: Rob Thornton]
SFG Offline

Talk Morgan Regular

Loc: South Oxfordshire
Unstoppable? Surely not the required result?

#550380 - 27/12/18 02:34 PM Re: Car underside cleaning [Re: docock]
BobtheTrain Offline

Charter Member

Loc: Renfrewshire

Excellent video.

#550382 - 27/12/18 02:50 PM Re: Car underside cleaning [Re: Rob Thornton]
Rob Thornton Offline

Learner Plates Off!

Loc: Reading
My daughter and I have both got all season tyres on our AWD Volvos and wouldn't be without them now.
I will be restoring the wire wheels on the Morgan during this winter and am tempted to replace the tyres with the new wave of all season tyres. I haven't found anyone who has experienced these on a Morgan as yet but am tempted to take the opportunity as I like to drive the car all year and don't particularly want to change tyres from summer to winter and vice versa.

#550387 - 27/12/18 03:43 PM Re: Car underside cleaning [Re: Rob Thornton]
Taffmog Offline
Talk Morgan Enthusiast

Loc: Wales
I use Waxoyl too but I put the tin in a bucket of hot water, keeps it nice n thin and covers well with their sprayer. Clean sprayer by pumping white spirit through it after use.

#550389 - 27/12/18 03:48 PM Re: Car underside cleaning [Re: DaveW]
auster Offline
Has a lot to Say!

Loc: Vienna Austria
Originally Posted By DaveW
The centre section of a Morgan never gets soiled in my experience. The wings are best dry brushed with the wheels off, but cover the splines if you have centrelocks. I've started to use a rubber glove which works really well. Pay particular attention to where the front wing attaches under the door. The fasteners changed over time but some brackets are open fronted and retain mud.

Yes my technique too but to get dirt and stubborn caked-on muck off, especially out of the rolled wire wing edges, I use copious amounts of petrol, brushed in, before spraying with ACF50. This petrol first to clean, followed by ACF50 or wax oil, is repeated on chasis, firewall and all other rust prone surfaces. This is on a never-restored 1968 Mog so I'm really trying to retard corrosion which,in some areas, has already begun. Seems to be working.
Jodel D9
1988 Peugeot 205 GTI 1.9

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Aeroman, Boshly, Simon