Click here to return to the home page.
Image of a road.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 109 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
65 Plus 4 Four Seater back seat Lift-a-dot studs
Fuel cap seal
Touring Scotland with Anglemog.
Not out the woods yet...
"Slammed Lada"
Newest Topics
Seeking a half tonneau for a 65 +4 four seater
by Edwin
Today at 02:12 AM
Goodwood Festival of Speed and Factory 'tickets'
by pete757
Yesterday at 06:08 PM
Use Gunk/degreaser to clean rear compartment?
by Joejoe
Yesterday at 05:16 PM
A rose between two thorns
by M3W55
Yesterday at 04:16 PM
Fossilmog Annual Hive Beach Picnic Sunday 30 June
by rid967
Yesterday at 12:47 PM
Exhaust Bobbins
by Craig Jezz
14/06/19 11:08 PM
Back on TM with a M3W on order
by lord-richfield
14/06/19 08:51 PM
Newest Members
arnieb, BradB, PANTHRO, MarsdenRobinson, M500
6524 Registered Users
Shout Box

Forum Stats
6,524 Registered Members
33 Forums
35,367 Topics
570,709 Posts

Most users ever online: 341 @ 11/02/18 10:30 PM
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#550833 - 30/12/18 10:50 AM Re: SSL verses Rutherford? [Re: Redfate]
andymot Offline

Talk Morgan Regular

Loc: East Sussex, ENGLAND
Hi Paul,

I have a 2015 4/4 and was experiencing the same issues with bottoming out and clatters etc that you describe. I had a chat to Cain at wolf performance who has sorted my car better than I thought possible.

Its now more akin to a posh "Caterham". He upgraded the springs to heavier duty - also changed the re-bound ones to suit. This was complemented by a set of adjustable shocks. Car is transformed and no hint of clatter or banging. Handling is greatly improved.

Whilst he was wielding the spanners he sorted the steering with some new bearings and a few tweaks to the alignment which has truly sorted the steering.

All supplied and fitted for less than the other option and with enough change to add a Panard rod.

Cain isn't a salesman and I'm sure he'd be pleased to discuss what he/you can do a 4/4 that's clattering - I'd strongly suggest you speak to him before you decided on the SSL kit or anything else.

Edited by andymot (30/12/18 10:52 AM)

#550840 - 30/12/18 11:25 AM Re: SSL verses Rutherford? [Re: Redfate]
Redfate Offline
Just Getting Started

Loc: London England
Hi Andy,
That sounds good.

"Its now more akin to a posh "Caterham". He upgraded the springs to heavier duty - also changed the re-bound ones to suit. This was complemented by a set of adjustable shocks. Car is transformed and no hint of clatter or banging. Handling is greatly improved."

If you don't mind me asking, what sort of money are you talking for that service? Just an approx guide.
Thank you.

2009 4/4 Sport in Red
2016 Harley Davidson Road Glide Ultra

#550841 - 30/12/18 11:26 AM Re: SSL verses Rutherford? [Re: Redfate]
milligoon Offline
Talk Morgan Addict

Loc: Dorset, UK
Happy Rutherford user here.

Had front and back done at same time as getting harden chromed king pins fitted.

Transformed the car from the Standard setup it came with (what ever springs were available in the parts bin at the time!)

New Elms fitted the Mulfab bearings at the same time and selected the springs to accommodate this.

Why Rutherford? in my case it was a no brainer New Elms is 15 minutes from me.

Obviously I can't compare it to a suplex setup as I haven't had one and this is my only Morgan.

#550844 - 30/12/18 12:04 PM Re: SSL verses Rutherford? [Re: Redfate]
Redfate Offline
Just Getting Started

Hi Happy Rutherford user :-)

I bought my car from Tim at New Elms although its a bit of a drive from where I live :-)

He does seem to know his Morgans and races his own cars, I am tempted with Rutherford I have to admit :-)

Paul

2009 4/4 Sport in Red

#550847 - 30/12/18 12:18 PM Re: SSL verses Rutherford? [Re: Redfate]
Paul F Offline

Talk Morgan Expert

Loc: Costock, South Nottinghamshire...
A 4/4 of your era has front springs that are insufficient for the job in hand. Many have upgraded to heavier duty springs to good effect. The factory shock absorbers are not great either.

I have upgraded our 2014 4/4 to adjustable AVOs and it made a big difference but did not prevent the bottoming out. When the King Pins are changed, I will be having heavier duty front springs fitted.

Tim Ayres will be able to advise on all counts.
Disco 4
Teddy - 17h1 Irish Draught cross

#550848 - 30/12/18 12:20 PM Re: SSL verses Rutherford? [Re: Redfate]
meabh Offline

Talk Morgan Enthusiast

Loc: southwest France
I can confirm what Andy said. My Plus Four had 140lb front springs and Mulfab bearings with Spax all round and a Panhard Rod. It was firm and supple seemingly at the same time.
My 2010 Roadster came equipped with Avo's front and rear and is different but doesn't clatter or bottom out.

#550851 - 30/12/18 12:33 PM Re: SSL verses Rutherford? [Re: andymot]
Burgundymog Offline

Talk Morgan Addict

Loc: Essex
Originally Posted By andymot
Hi Paul,

I have a 2015 4/4 and was experiencing the same issues with bottoming out and clatters etc that you describe. I had a chat to Cain at wolf performance who has sorted my car better than I thought possible.

Its now more akin to a posh "Caterham". He upgraded the springs to heavier duty - also changed the re-bound ones to suit. This was complemented by a set of adjustable shocks. Car is transformed and no hint of clatter or banging. Handling is greatly improved.

Whilst he was wielding the spanners he sorted the steering with some new bearings and a few tweaks to the alignment which has truly sorted the steering.

All supplied and fitted for less than the other option and with enough change to add a Panard rod.

Cain isn't a salesman and I'm sure he'd be pleased to discuss what he/you can do a 4/4 that's clattering - I'd strongly suggest you speak to him before you decided on the SSL kit or anything else.

+1 very pleased.

#550880 - 30/12/18 03:13 PM Re: SSL verses Rutherford? [Re: Redfate]
Gambalunga Offline

Member of the Inner Circle

Loc: Mandello del Lario, Lake Como,...
The SSL system has a couple of advantages over the standard set up. If offers a comfortable ride with good handling, it has a rising rate second spring and is adjustable for both ride height and correct fitting.

The priority with the standard SSL kit is towards a comfortable ride however if someone wants a more "sporting" ride and handling they do also do a race kit. I am told that a higher rated spring can be provided on request. The softest spring from the race kit would probably be appropriate for fast road use but I have not tried it.

I am sure similar results can be achieved with careful selection and fitting of appropriate parts however I consider the kit fitted to my car well worth the expense.

#550919 - 30/12/18 06:41 PM Re: SSL verses Rutherford? [Re: Redfate]
Redfate Offline
Just Getting Started

Hi Peter,
Did you buy the kit and fit it yourself?

I would like to fit mine myself if possible. I like playing in the garage and it helps to bond with the car :-)

That said, I'm thinking I'll probably need a "professional" to steer me in the right direction of what i need to buy.
I'm thinking I'll call Cain at Wolf Performance on Wednesday and also Tim Ayers at New Elms, explain what I think my car does and listen to their advice.

This time of year is great for playing with the car and preparing it for greater things come the better weather :-)

Edited by Redfate (30/12/18 06:42 PM)

2009 4/4 Sport in Red

#550937 - 30/12/18 08:23 PM Re: SSL verses Rutherford? [Re: Redfate]
Tony Quinn Offline
Just Getting Started

I had the SSL front suspension kit on both a 1954 Plus 4 and now on a 1961 Plus 4. I'm very satisfied with the combination of supple ride and good handling. It's designed to firm up when pressing on. This seems not to be appreciated by some users who feel that because it is supple over bumps at moderate speeds, it must be too soft for press on motoring. Not so. Having said that, it's a matter of personal preference. Both your preferred driving style and the quality of roads in your area may influence your decision.

The kit comes with excellent instructions with back-up advice from Peter Ballard if required. If you are moderately competent with a set of spanners it is easy to fit because it requires little compression when installing. The compression of the main spring is carried out by adjustment after the initial installation so that the bottom of the stub axle just comes into contact with the rebound spring. It usually requires checking and minor re-adjustment after, say 500 miles.

I have driven a 2004 Plus 4 fitted with the Rutherford spring and damper kit. I found it to be a bit 'jiggly', probably more due to the geometry of the track rods on Morgans of that era which resulted in bump steer. So it may not be a fair criticism of the Rutherford/AVO kit.

You can try my 61 Plus 4 but I'm in North Somerset whereas you are in London, but you're more than welcome. My Plus 4 also has the SSL rear 5 link kit. Very pleased with that too. Not cheap but I'm planning to keep the car for a long time.

Tony

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Aeroman, Boshly, Simon