Click here to return to the home page.
Image of a road.
Who's Online
2 registered (Carrotious, N22MOG), 53 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
The winter M3W
SwanMog Christmas party
Finished Plus 4 Side View
Mkiss Mog +4 fourseater
Management of cooling air flow
Newest Topics
Spot lights
by Craig Jezz
18/01/19 11:23 PM
Aero Air Bag Help
by jonathan7barrow
18/01/19 08:05 PM
VDO Clock Set
by AZJowett
18/01/19 06:23 PM
ROY POW power pack gets the Roadster started ...
by dmh
18/01/19 05:57 PM
Workshop Note -Steering Damper
by DaveW
18/01/19 05:19 PM
fan knob only working on one speed
by tom+4
18/01/19 04:49 PM
S&S X-Wedge Manual Found!
by AZJowett
18/01/19 03:22 PM
Newest Members
PJS, 250swb, Mkiss, jacquesj, Dodger
6332 Registered Users
Shout Box

Forum Stats
6,332 Registered Members
33 Forums
33,991 Topics
543,896 Posts

Most users ever online: 341 @ 11/02/18 10:30 PM
Today's Birthdays
BertR
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#551868 - 05/01/19 12:08 PM Hello from just north of Stamford
HeadlessBlue Offline
Just Getting Started

Loc: North of Stamford, UK
New member of the forum, first ever post on any forum and an utter technophobe....
After lusting over Morgan’s for at least 30 years (symptoms got particularly bad over last 15 years or so) I am finally getting one. Was originally going to tap into pensions in a few years to get mine, but due to family circs some funds are being passed my way as long as they go towards a Morgan, in honour of much missed younger bro.
Consequently, having looked at pictures of Morgan’s online every weekend for last 15 years, (much sighing from Lady H every Saturday and Sunday, whilst supping our morning char), already knew pretty much what I wanted. Going for 110 Plus 4, Bentley Velvet Red, Yarwood biscuit interior with walnut dash, Moto etc etc. Meeting up with Phil from AW at the factory end Feb for build view (have been for factory tours and taken Test drives over the years) and hopefully get delivery mid ish March. Somewhat excited is a bit of an understatement!!!!!
Have already met FringeMog peeps who were top notch friendly peeps, and will only be restricted on driving by a silly thing called work and v small holiday allowance.
Not a technical person so unlikely to be adding piccies I’m afraid (regularly break world interweb wherever I go eg Alexa broke over whole of Europe on Christmas Day because I got one for Lady H) but hope the clearly helpful chaps and chapesses won’t mind me asking the odd question here....eg can the headlights be changed in the future to LED style similar to those on I think the Plus 8? Also are there any nice drives in this area that take about 2-4 hours that are recommended....
Thank you in advance and apologies for any who cannot reply because I’ve somehow managed to remotely break their computer by sending nanobots...
HB

#551873 - 05/01/19 12:31 PM Re: Hello from just north of Stamford [Re: HeadlessBlue]
Richard Wood Offline
Has a lot to Say!

Loc: East Harling, Norfolk UK
Hi HB and welcome to the forum. Ironically I have on order a pair of full LED headlamps for my Roadster from PowerfulUK to provide DRL's as well.

Although sold as LR Defender retro-fit, research suggests they will be fine on Roadster subject to no complaints from electronics, although current draw not so far removed from standard halogen lights. Purchase made on sale or return basis anyway.

2018 Roadster - Red/Magnolia - "Morton"
1967 Land Rover series 2a SWB
1960 Velocette Venom

#551881 - 05/01/19 01:06 PM Re: Hello from just north of Stamford [Re: HeadlessBlue]
Paul F Offline

Talk Morgan Expert

Loc: Costock, South Nottinghamshire...
Welcome to TM.
Phil at AW is a lovely chap.
Worth looking up the B6047 from Melton Mowbray to Market Harborough together with the Tilton on the Hill to Oakham toad (Tilton is on the 6047).
Make sure you plan in a coffee stop somewhere with decent cake to keep Lady H happy.

Wishing you many happy and safe miles in your new pride and joy.
Disco 4
Teddy - 17h1 Irish Draught cross

#551882 - 05/01/19 01:08 PM Re: Hello from just north of Stamford [Re: HeadlessBlue]
Peter J Offline
Formerly known as Aldermog
Member of the Inner Circle

Loc: Salisbury, UK
Hi there...HB.
Your choice sounds wonderful!

As to the headlights Morgan can put the LED headlights as used on the Plus 8 on your new car, they are a BIG improvement, but relatively costly.

Cheers,

Peter

#551893 - 05/01/19 01:56 PM Re: Hello from just north of Stamford [Re: HeadlessBlue]
PhilRoyle Offline

Talk Morgan Enthusiast

Loc: Derby
Welcome - and enjoy the build up as well as the car when you get it.

#551895 - 05/01/19 02:04 PM Re: Hello from just north of Stamford [Re: HeadlessBlue]
HeadlessBlue Offline
Just Getting Started

Hi all
Firstly I have sense of relief that I haven’t broken TM yet. Lady H doesn’t believe me...
Secondly, many thanks for your kind replies. I shall defo talk to Phil at some stage re the headlight ideas and we have now planned a different route home when we pick it up (via Market Harborough/Tilton instead of A421/A1 roadworks).
Am hopeful of using FMT (Florence Milano Troy - full name, won’t bore with reasons at this early stage) to get to Silverstone in July depending on storage and places like Cornwall and west coast of Scotland (not all at once). Ultimate dream is to drive a Morgan round Lake Como (visit every year) and elsewhere in Italy tho this may have to wait til retirement....
Will work on brevity the more I post as well 😇 ....
Kind regards
HB

#551897 - 05/01/19 02:13 PM Re: Hello from just north of Stamford [Re: HeadlessBlue]
Paul F Offline

Talk Morgan Expert

Just done a quick search on Motorail to Italy and it looks like they are not running in 2019 - worth some research though as fiends of ours have taken their Morgan to Sicily using the train to get to Verona. Cuts down on the driving if you are short of time.

When you mention storage - do you mean luggage? If so, we have so far managed trips of up to 19 days in our 4/4 using the luggage rack. swmbo grumbles a bit but you soon develop a method of packing that works for you.
Disco 4

#551898 - 05/01/19 02:30 PM Re: Hello from just north of Stamford [Re: Paul F]
HeadlessBlue Offline
Just Getting Started

Thanks Paul- the motorail idea is a properly great one- genuinely hadn’t thought of that option. Ruddy heck, now my brain is in overdrive and FMT hasn’t even arrived yet. Continuing that theme it looks like Düsseldorf to Innsbruck is a possibility (amongst others) and then driving through Brenner Pass to Italy, which, having seen it from a train a few times, would be spectacular beyond belief. Summat for me and Lady H to think about...
Regarding storage, we are getting the luggage rack over the spare wheel, and understand the idea of having bags behind the seats. If, say, you were visiting a decent hotel requiring smarter clothes/suits do you end up pre booking an iron to use on arrival??? So many questions, so little time, but will try and pace myself to keep heart rate down....
Ciao and thanks
HB

#551902 - 05/01/19 02:57 PM Re: Hello from just north of Stamford [Re: HeadlessBlue]
Graham, G4FUJ Offline
Salty Sea Dog

Loc: Cheltenham, Glos. UK
Welcome to TM.
Many happy (s)miles in your new +4 when you get it (her?) smile

D8921 L44FOR '93 4/4 Giallo Fly 2 seat smile
'90 LR 90 SW
'07 MINI Cooper

#551907 - 05/01/19 03:03 PM Re: Hello from just north of Stamford [Re: HeadlessBlue]
Paul F Offline

Talk Morgan Expert

No need for an iron. Just get 4 of these (we have 4 different colours so it is easy to see whose is whose). Available from Amazon and sometimes at car events (bought the first 2 at the Donington Historic.

Edited by Paul F (05/01/19 03:04 PM)
Disco 4

#551914 - 05/01/19 03:17 PM Re: Hello from just north of Stamford [Re: Paul F]
HeadlessBlue Offline
Just Getting Started

Paul - these look just the ticket, thanks for tip - Will get a couple when she arrives. Already planning trips now, which guess is part of the fun of Morgan ownership. Post March ‘twill no longer just be a dream 😆. (Sigh)
HB

#551931 - 05/01/19 04:50 PM Re: Hello from just north of Stamford [Re: HeadlessBlue]
Fat Wolfie Offline
Just Getting Started

Loc: West Yorkshire
As a fellow new owner, I’ve found the time since order was placed in October has really dragged...but I’m now counting down in hours!

Your new chariot sounds lovely, wish you many happy miles of smiles.

I’d definitely recommend getting David W’s book, it does help to fill the hours while waiting waiting

#551940 - 05/01/19 05:22 PM Re: Hello from just north of Stamford [Re: Fat Wolfie]
HeadlessBlue Offline
Just Getting Started

Hi Fat Wolfie Actually it was seeing your post and everyone’s great replies and support that made decide to take the plunge and give posting a go. I was uneasy that me posting updates about my Morgan journey would bore others but I can see from your thread that all have “the fizz” around here. I am v excited on your behalf for this coming week by the way..... 😆. I hope your roads are better up your way than down here in south Lincolnshire (somewhat potholey) and you have many happy miles yourself sir!!!
HB

#551946 - 05/01/19 06:00 PM Re: Hello from just north of Stamford [Re: HeadlessBlue]
+8Rich Offline

Loc: UK
Congratulations and welcome to TM - enjoy the car when you get delivery.

#551949 - 05/01/19 06:08 PM Re: Hello from just north of Stamford [Re: HeadlessBlue]
Peter J Offline
Formerly known as Aldermog

Loc: Salisbury, UK
Originally Posted By HeadlessBlue
I was uneasy that me posting updates about my Morgan journey would bore others but I can see from your thread that all have “the fizz” around here.
HB

HB, we all have the "Morgan Fizz" in never goes away. A bit like the legendary "Hotel California". Some may check out for a while, but they never leave. I'm enjoying helping my pal Ian return to the Morgan fold after a 55 year gap.... sharing his excitement is infectious...

BTW, are you Leicestershire or Rutland? Our family comes from Rutland, the villages of Barrowden and Seaton. there are some great roads in that area.

Peter

#551955 - 05/01/19 06:36 PM Re: Hello from just north of Stamford [Re: Peter J]
HeadlessBlue Offline
Just Getting Started

Hi Peter
We are a tiny bit north of there, technically in Lincolnshire, but am v familiar with that patch having worked near that general area for several years. Suspect I will view the roads/villages around the Water somewhat differently when in an open topped car!!!! Just thinking about having to visit local hostelries as an excuse to get the Morgan out (not really needing an excuse though) is going to make dry January even more of a challenge!
HB

#551968 - 05/01/19 07:41 PM Re: Hello from just north of Stamford [Re: HeadlessBlue]
Ray Offline

Talk Morgan Addict

Loc: Llanelli
Enjoy it when it comes. Little bit envious of your new adventure should not be have had my adventure since 1972. And still want more. Slight health problem! At the moment but hope to back In MOG WORLD in a few weeks.

#551974 - 05/01/19 08:10 PM Re: Hello from just north of Stamford [Re: HeadlessBlue]
ewn Offline

Has a lot to Say!

Loc: NE Scotland
Collecting a new Morgan is a wonderful experience and after such a long wait, even more so.

Only advice I would offer is, don’t rush home, stretch out the first journey as long as you can, spend money and be good to yourselves, it’s only new once.

I’ve ordered all the best weather for Scotland this summer and instructed the people who look after the scenery to have it ready for you, all Morgans are welcome, old and new, entrance fee, a wave and a smile! joy

#551975 - 05/01/19 08:20 PM Re: Hello from just north of Stamford [Re: Ray]
HeadlessBlue Offline
Just Getting Started

Thanks Ray. I keep my fingers crossed for you that your health allows a speedy return- good luck old chap
HB

#551978 - 05/01/19 08:27 PM Re: Hello from just north of Stamford [Re: ewn]
HeadlessBlue Offline
Just Getting Started

Ewn- I shall take your advice but will possibly keep the 8 hour journey back home under my hat from Lady H.... she’s had enough to put up with looking after me for a number of years and she may be less keen to spend that amount of Day One with my driving....😇.
Ps would happily pay a fee if it meant I could drive around Skye again!!!
HB

#551988 - 05/01/19 08:47 PM Re: Hello from just north of Stamford [Re: HeadlessBlue]
ewn Offline

Has a lot to Say!

Loc: NE Scotland
We stayed at the Malvern spa on the day before collection, a castle in Carlisle the next day, then the Fairmont in St Andrews the next. Unforgettable trip and treated like royalty the whole way.

#551989 - 05/01/19 08:48 PM Re: Hello from just north of Stamford [Re: HeadlessBlue]
Fat Wolfie Offline
Just Getting Started

Hi Fat Wolfie Actually it was seeing your post and everyone’s great replies and support that made decide to take the plunge and give posting a go. I was uneasy that me posting updates about my Morgan journey would bore others but I can see from your thread that all have “the fizz” around here. I am v excited on your behalf for this coming week by the way..... 😆. I hope your roads are better up your way than down here in south Lincolnshire (somewhat potholey) and you have many happy miles yourself sir!!!
HB

OMG I’ve never had such influence blush

And thanks for the wishes!

The backroads roads round here are not too bad, think they deliberately keep them a bit rough to keep speeds down! Worse are the more urban roads which weren’t designed to take the current traffic volumes...a good reason to keep away from towns!

Edited by Fat Wolfie (05/01/19 08:50 PM)

#552008 - 05/01/19 10:23 PM Re: Hello from just north of Stamford [Re: HeadlessBlue]
Ray Offline

Talk Morgan Addict

Loc: Llanelli
Just a normal Morgan family

#552009 - 05/01/19 10:25 PM Re: Hello from just north of Stamford [Re: HeadlessBlue]
BobtheTrain Offline

Part of the Furniture

Loc: Renfrewshire
Ps would happily pay a fee if it meant I could drive around Skye again!!!
HB

All bridges in Scotland are free.

#552065 - 06/01/19 10:39 AM Re: Hello from just north of Stamford [Re: BobtheTrain]
Graham, G4FUJ Offline
Salty Sea Dog

Haha,
The Erskine bridge caught me out one trip. Used to paying a toll when heading up to Faslane, slowing down for the booth trying to remember where I'd put the fee (and holding up following traffic) only to find I needn't have bothered smile

'90 LR 90 SW
'07 MINI Cooper

#552072 - 06/01/19 11:29 AM Re: Hello from just north of Stamford [Re: Graham, G4FUJ]
HeadlessBlue Offline
Just Getting Started

We were similarly nearly the cause of a traffic jam the first time we went onto the bridge to Skye... personally I love a car ferry but Lady H not such a fan, so bridge it was..
HB

#552074 - 06/01/19 11:32 AM Re: Hello from just north of Stamford [Re: HeadlessBlue]
BobtheTrain Offline

Part of the Furniture

We were similarly nearly the cause of a traffic jam the first time we went onto the bridge to Skye... personally I love a car ferry but Lady H not such a fan, so bridge it was..
HB

Have you tried the Glenelg - Kylerhea ferry?

#552076 - 06/01/19 11:40 AM Re: Hello from just north of Stamford [Re: BobtheTrain]
HeadlessBlue Offline
Just Getting Started

In my dreams!!!! Last time stayed at Three Chimneys and bridge worked well timewise but if we go to Kinloch House, being near the bottom of Skye, the ferry may be more acceptable to those that count.....
HB

#552083 - 06/01/19 11:56 AM Re: Hello from just north of Stamford [Re: BobtheTrain]
Graham, G4FUJ Offline
Salty Sea Dog

Yes, with a group of Morgans.
It was (IIRC) my suggestion that we used that route. Some of the others used the bridge.

Tim (Hamwich) has some better ones from on board.

'90 LR 90 SW
'07 MINI Cooper

#552087 - 06/01/19 12:09 PM Re: Hello from just north of Stamford [Re: Graham, G4FUJ]
HeadlessBlue Offline
Just Getting Started

Graham - that picture is probably nirvana as far as I’m concerned. Just showed it to Lady H and her reaction surprised me being rather positive but upon further questioning it was the idea of being part of a group of moggies in such a scene. I asked what if we went on our own and there was marginally less enthusiasm. Main concern appears to be rough water and time spent aboard...dare I ask what is your experience of such a thing please?
Thanks
HB

#552088 - 06/01/19 12:21 PM Re: Hello from just north of Stamford [Re: HeadlessBlue]
BobtheTrain Offline

Part of the Furniture

dare I ask what is your experience of such a thing please?
Thanks
HB

About 10 - 15 minutes on board moving. Have a look at a map!

Edited by BobtheTrain (06/01/19 12:33 PM)

#552089 - 06/01/19 12:24 PM Re: Hello from just north of Stamford [Re: HeadlessBlue]
Graham, G4FUJ Offline
Salty Sea Dog

The crossing takes less than 15 minutes all told.
That is the last Turntable Ferry left still working (google them - there is an excellent book all about the different ferries over the years).
That photo was taken by a pal of mine from Melbourne (he keeps a mid '90s +8 over here) who was behind me in the group.
There is a small group of us (some are on here) who head up to Scotland most years. All started off by Tim in 2011 who suggested a bucket list thing was to do LeJoG. We have had other destinations - Northumberland one year. I don't go with them every year. Going with a small group of like minded individuals can add a little extra to one's trip. smile

'90 LR 90 SW
'07 MINI Cooper

#552095 - 06/01/19 12:59 PM Re: Hello from just north of Stamford [Re: Graham, G4FUJ]
Hamwich Offline

Talk Morgan Sage

Loc: Gloucestershire, UK
Originally Posted By Graham, G4FUJ
Yes, with a group of Morgans.
It was (IIRC) my suggestion that we used that route.

It was indeed, and a jolly excellent suggestion it was too!

It's a lovely little ferry, room for just 6 cars at a time

The turntable means it's very easy to use, you drive on and when you arrive at the other side they turn the turntable so you drive off forwards too

The water was very calm when we crossed, so it was great fun.

#552096 - 06/01/19 01:02 PM Re: Hello from just north of Stamford [Re: HeadlessBlue]
John V6 Offline

Loc: Suffolk
I see the old Sea Dog's sea legs came back
laugh2 rofl

#552097 - 06/01/19 01:12 PM Re: Hello from just north of Stamford [Re: John V6]
Graham, G4FUJ Offline
Salty Sea Dog

laugh2
Yes. But I can't remember why, it was so calm. Can only assume we were making a tight turn at the time smile

'90 LR 90 SW
'07 MINI Cooper

#552100 - 06/01/19 01:18 PM Re: Hello from just north of Stamford [Re: Hamwich]
HeadlessBlue Offline
Just Getting Started

That looks like an absolute hoot! Looked on a map but, having always been in the habit of understating times on water for Lady H peace of mind, thought I’d get real life view. Timewise that seems about the same as the Bodinnick ferry near Fowey (albeit not chain driven). Thanks to all for adding yet more ideas for journeys to make when she arrives 😆
HB

#552115 - 06/01/19 01:38 PM Re: Hello from just north of Stamford [Re: HeadlessBlue]
Jon G4LJW Offline
L - Learner Plates On

Loc: Lampeter, Wales
Long trips are fun, but the Mog also brings a smile to my face just driving a couple of miles to buy the papers at the weekend!

I've only had mine for 2 months, and I try and drive it whenever possible - many miles of smiles....

grin2
Photos

#552434 - 07/01/19 07:16 PM Re: Hello from just north of Stamford [Re: Jon G4LJW]
HeadlessBlue Offline
Just Getting Started

Thanks Jon. Glad it’s going well. Is the heater helping or have ya gone for the heated seats?
Kind regards
HB

#552620 - 08/01/19 08:24 PM Re: Hello from just north of Stamford [Re: HeadlessBlue]
HeadlessBlue Offline
Just Getting Started

Due date from AW looks like 15th March. Is it wrong to have a wall chart counting down the seconds to go....
HB

#552625 - 08/01/19 08:50 PM Re: Hello from just north of Stamford [Re: HeadlessBlue]
Fat Wolfie Offline
Just Getting Started

That’s brilliant that you’ve now got the date HB!

Are you going to get to see it in build do you think?

I would say that the time until 15 March will fly by....But I’d be lying rofl

It will eventually arrive though, and hopefully it’ll be a bit warmer for you than it is currently.

#552628 - 08/01/19 08:57 PM Re: Hello from just north of Stamford [Re: HeadlessBlue]
KEVFITZ Offline
Has a lot to Say!

Loc: YORK
Go see it in build if you can ..

I spent 3 days down at the Factory when my 4/4 was being built in 2014..a very special and unique experience in the automotive industry I believe.

So glad I experienced buying new at least once..your first born is always special !!!

#552629 - 08/01/19 08:59 PM Re: Hello from just north of Stamford [Re: Fat Wolfie]
HeadlessBlue Offline
Just Getting Started

Hi new Morgan owner
Will be at factory on 28th February when FMT will be in the trim shop. I might tell them I’m great with plastic hacksaws cutting leather.... 🤣
Are you sleeping in your garage tonight?
HB

#552631 - 08/01/19 09:05 PM Re: Hello from just north of Stamford [Re: HeadlessBlue]
Fat Wolfie Offline
Just Getting Started

Now there’s a thought !

#552639 - 08/01/19 09:24 PM Re: Hello from just north of Stamford [Re: KEVFITZ]
HeadlessBlue Offline
Just Getting Started

Think I’m suffering symptoms of sympathetic morning sickness Kevfitz!!!!
HB

#552643 - 08/01/19 09:50 PM Re: Hello from just north of Stamford [Re: HeadlessBlue]
DaveW Offline
Roadster Guru

Loc: South Yorkshire
This was from my post in July 2016, which gives a flavour.......

I was at the factory "a lot".......... grin2

For the record here is the (approximate) build timeline:
It's supposed to take 17 working days and that was bang on..........

100790 Build Detail

Day 1: (1.0) Thursday 26th May

Chassis laid down. Front frame added. Suspension added. Engine, gearbox & propshaft added.

Day 2: (1.5) Friday 27th May
Bulkhead & valances added. Master cylinder added.

Day 3: (2.5) Tuesday 31st May. My factory Visit.
Body added. Front roll hoop added. Exhaust manifold and catalyst added. Fuel tank & battery added.

Day 4: (3.5) Wednesday1st June. Wheels & tyres added. Wings cut and fitted.

Day 5: (4.5) Thursday 2nd June. My factory visit.
Rear bulkhead added.

Day 6: (5.0) Friday 3rd June.

Day 7: (6.0) Monday 6th June
This week – cowl & bonnets fitted and electrics installed.

Day 8: (7.0)Tuesday 7th June

Day 9: (8.0) Wednesday 8th June

Day 10: (9.0) Thursday 9th June
Paint shop prep.

Day 11: (9.5) Friday 10th June
Paint shop

Day 12: (10.5) Monday 13th June
Paint shop

Day 13: (11.5) Tuesday 14th June
Paint shop/Trim shop

Day 14: (12.5) Wednesday 15th June
In trim shop.

Day 15: (13.5) Thursday 16th June. My factory Visit.
In trim shop. Carpets & interior trim fitted. Screen fitted.

Day 16: (14.0) Friday 17th June
Wings & cowl fitted

Day 17: (15.0) Monday 20th June. My factory Visit.
Final finish. Add fuel. Add dashboard. Fit slave seat.Road test.

Day 18: (16.0) Tuesday 21st June. My factory Visit.
Final finish. Seats, Rear Over-riders.

Day 19: (17.0) Wednesday 22nd June.
Cleaned off. Waiting outside for PDI.

Day 20: (18.0) Thursday 23rd June
PDI

Day 21: (18.5) Friday 24th June
Transport to storage facility.

#552644 - 08/01/19 10:00 PM Re: Hello from just north of Stamford [Re: DaveW]
HeadlessBlue Offline
Just Getting Started

Due to the distance and work I can only get down the once and by the looks of your schedule she should be at the carpets, interior trim and screen fitting stage. Fingers crossed she has left the paint shop coz I would imagine you can’t get to see much. I will take a paint brush with me just in case.
HB

#552689 - 09/01/19 10:37 AM Re: Hello from just north of Stamford [Re: HeadlessBlue]
OZ 4/4 Offline

Talk Morgan Expert

Loc: Australia - NSW Mid North Coas...
Welcome HB... sunny

#552818 - 09/01/19 06:30 PM Re: Hello from just north of Stamford [Re: OZ 4/4]
HeadlessBlue Offline
Just Getting Started

Thanks Oz. Really looking to formally joining as a fully fledged member of Clan Morgan 😝
HB

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Aeroman, Boshly, Simon