Click here to return to the home page.
Image of a road.
Who's Online
19 registered (Graham, G4FUJ, pandy, Alan Patterson, spooner, +8Rich, Snowden, DaveW, Stewart S, Hamwich, BLUE+4, spelunx, DavidR, AZJowett, SteveT, M3W55, MGDave, BertR, musew, paulmog), 122 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
Island of Muhu in the rain
65 Plus 4 Four Seater back seat Lift-a-dot studs
Fuel cap seal
Touring Scotland with Anglemog.
Not out the woods yet...
Newest Topics
FOR SALE : SEALEY ELECTROSTART®
by James B W
16/06/19 05:06 PM
Erratic running engine.
by Gambalunga
16/06/19 03:31 PM
Morgan factory tour
by SAE
16/06/19 02:23 PM
Colour of widow frame
by Chilliblu
16/06/19 12:13 PM
1984 +8 wiring diagram and need electrical advice
by G Walker
16/06/19 10:13 AM
Seeking a half tonneau for a 65 +4 four seater
by Edwin
16/06/19 02:12 AM
Goodwood Festival of Speed and Factory 'tickets'
by pete757
15/06/19 06:08 PM
Newest Members
arnieb, BradB, PANTHRO, MarsdenRobinson, M500
6524 Registered Users
Shout Box

Forum Stats
6,524 Registered Members
33 Forums
35,373 Topics
570,790 Posts

Most users ever online: 341 @ 11/02/18 10:30 PM
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#552488 - 08/01/19 04:35 AM Re: France - Pointers on places to safely stay [Re: Bonesie]
waikiore Offline
Learner Plates Off!

Loc: auckland new zealand
Montreuil Sur Mer is a great staging point and I know we found the Best Western Hotel Hermitage very welcoming, with extremely secure parking and a big welcome for Morgans (2018)
There are a number of Yorkshire Mogs who use this spot regularly as well as Vinmog.
The Maitre de ? is known as foxy by the Yorkshire guys and can mix a mean drink .... recommended

#552492 - 08/01/19 07:35 AM Re: France - Pointers on places to safely stay [Re: Bonesie]
tmg513 Offline
Talk Morgan Enthusiast

Loc: Powick
Has anyone got any hotel disaster stories with the Morgan? I can't think of any of the top of my head. I mean places that weren't Morgan-friendly.

#552498 - 08/01/19 08:26 AM Re: France - Pointers on places to safely stay [Re: Bonesie]
John V6 Offline

Member of the Inner Circle

Loc: Suffolk
Not from my side. One in Modena where I guess they were overloaded by supercars & classics so indifferent but never negative.

#552503 - 08/01/19 08:38 AM Re: France - Pointers on places to safely stay [Re: Bonesie]
Alistair Offline
Smile, it confuses them
Charter Member

Loc: Hampshire
Only a couple of business hotels in Paris which proclaim underground parking. 12 inch high kerbs on a super tight corkscrew going down three floors. Worst 35 mins of my life getting in and out. If they say parking in city centres just ask if it is underground or needs a gopro with a mag mount on your front wing!

#552506 - 08/01/19 08:43 AM Re: France - Pointers on places to safely stay [Re: tmg513]
Hamwich Online   content

Talk Morgan Guru

Loc: Gloucestershire, UK
Originally Posted By tmg513
Has anyone got any hotel disaster stories with the Morgan? I can't think of any of the top of my head. I mean places that weren't Morgan-friendly.

Nope, never. I've only ever experienced enthusiasm, affection, and people going out of their way to make life easier - like cordoning off a special section of the carpark so we can all park together, or getting the Mayor to let us park in front of the Mairie.

in 2015 we stopped in Saint Ricquier for coffee, parked up in the main square, and the usual crowd of appreciative locals came around to admire the cars. Then after about 10 minutes a bunch of awesome vintage cars turned up and all attention switched to them - and quite right too! There's no doubt that the French generally love classic cars.

#552512 - 08/01/19 09:52 AM Re: France - Pointers on places to safely stay [Re: Bonesie]
Bonesie Offline
Learner Plates Off!

Loc: Yorkshireman living in Surrey
The buyer of my old MGB shipped it to France as he had people lined up to buy it. Seems our French cousins realy do like us ( or at least our cars ) after all laugh2

Attachments
mgb gt (1).JPG (11 downloads)
mgb gt (2).JPG (6 downloads)

Edited by Bonesie (08/01/19 09:55 AM)

Current stead -'The Captain' Black +4

'Life is like a garden, dig it' *Joe Dirt farmer

#552522 - 08/01/19 11:49 AM Re: France - Pointers on places to safely stay [Re: Bonesie]
tmg513 Offline
Talk Morgan Enthusiast

Loc: Powick
Not a hotel story but crossing the border from Greece to Turkey about 20 years ago we came across the customs officer from hell. The Greek side was fine and on the Turkish side we managed to get visas sorted out and passports stamped despite the lack of any directions and were preparing to leave when this uniformed Turkish guy who looked like the prison guard in Midnight Express approached us. He told us we needed papers for the cars to get into Turkey and asked to see the registration documents. After I showed him mine he looked the car over and asked me to open the boot. I told him it didn't have one. He asked me again. I told him it didn't have one again. The temperature was in the mid-thirties and this went on several times. The last time I told him if he could find it then he could f***ing open it. He then asked me if I had any decorations. I told him I didn't understand him. He said decorations: fridges, TVs? Ah, declarations. I was getting a bit fed up by now and said does it look like it?

He then turned his attention to my Dutch friend's Cobra replica, and said that the build date in the registration document was incorrect as it was a much older car. My friend told him he had built it himself and it was correct. No it wasn't said the customs man, it was an old car. Yes it is said my friend, I built it myself. And so on. He then made him empty the contents of the boot out onto the tarmac and went through them, before making my friend put them back in.

Taking our registrations documents he made us wait on a bench outside his office in the very hot building while he proceeded to make a point of waving everyone who had followed us straight through. After about half an hour of this he suddenly stamped the cars into our passports and told us we could leave.

Needless to say this guy was completely untypical of the Turkish people and we had a great time there with the cars.

#552526 - 08/01/19 12:16 PM Re: France - Pointers on places to safely stay [Re: tmg513]
Ray Offline

Part of the Furniture

Loc: Llanelli
Originally Posted By tmg513
Taffmog had a very bad experience about ten years ago. The cars five or six of them parked out side the hotel overnight, had two tyres on each car slashed. They had to spend a second night there waiting for replacement. The men took it turns to stand gard overnight. I wasn't on the trip so don't know any further details. I think there was Abit of a dispute over something between France and Britain at the Time... nothing changes. My own experience in France for LeMans could not have been better.

#552535 - 08/01/19 12:55 PM Re: France - Pointers on places to safely stay [Re: Bonesie]
The Austrian Offline

Talk Morgan Addict

Loc: Austria, close to Vienna
Mog hotel desaster story?

I experienced a minor desaster last summer in Cagliari, Sardinia. (Hotel Regina Margherita)

The underground garage was easy to enter with the Morgan but the ground clearence was not good enough for leaving the garage. I got stuck with 2 wheels on the pavement while the rear of the car on the steep garage ramp. Some helpful workers assisted with several car jacks to get the Mog back to the street.
Actually we needed some half of an hour to solve the problem.
and some practical cars for use in real life

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Simon