Click here to return to the home page.
Image of a road.
Who's Online
11 registered (luckywhiteheathe, The Austrian, Alistair, CooperMan, DirkM, Budster, Hamwich, Ian Wegg, RedThree, Steve S, howard), 94 Guests and 57 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
The winter M3W
SwanMog Christmas party
Finished Plus 4 Side View
Mkiss Mog +4 fourseater
Management of cooling air flow
Newest Topics
SWMBO is in clink!
by howard
18/01/19 02:19 PM
Hub nut adapter
by Tonyh157
18/01/19 12:41 PM
When to give up driving ?
by pandy
18/01/19 12:40 PM
Morgan doing well - Economist
by M3W55
18/01/19 10:18 AM
Skyland Drive /Blue Ridge (VA) Rally, June 13-16
by 06032
17/01/19 07:42 PM
I am seeing a theme developing here.
by Alistair
17/01/19 02:44 PM
Morgan Runabout
by Bonesie
17/01/19 12:20 PM
Newest Members
PJS, 250swb, Mkiss, jacquesj, Dodger
6332 Registered Users
Shout Box

Forum Stats
6,332 Registered Members
33 Forums
33,984 Topics
543,773 Posts

Most users ever online: 341 @ 11/02/18 10:30 PM
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#552710 - 09/01/19 12:08 PM TV last night street begging is it a con off some
Jack The Lad Offline
Posting Desperado
Talk Morgan Guru

Loc: The frozen North
June went off to bed last night so I checked the TV and watched a documentary on people begging in the streets . It made me think as it came over many times some people do it for an extra income of up to 200/00 a day. Hence by far not as many to be seen at night in the same area's . It did make me think . But how do you know , wish I had not watched it as I hate con artists . One lad showed his hands cut and filthy said "If I was like the cons would my hands be like this " He had a point .

#552716 - 09/01/19 12:40 PM Re: TV last night street begging is it a con off some [Re: Jack The Lad]
PaulV Offline
Talk Morgan Regular

Loc: Oxon
Yes was thought provoking. The presenter seemed to be trying hard avoiding, but wanting to, blame someone for the lack of hostel places etc... but didn't ask the basic qu: is it a human right to be free (to do drugs, beg, be mentally ill etc) on the streets, or a society responsibility to ensure and enforce care on those on the streets?

For the record I'm in the latter camp (ie home the helpless, not help the homeless)...

#552729 - 09/01/19 01:58 PM Re: TV last night street begging is it a con off some [Re: Jack The Lad]
madmax Offline
Part of the Furniture

Loc: East Anglia
Ch4 had extensive coverage around xmas of 'the homeless ' and people 'living on the streets' . They shelve this until next xmas as if its not news afterwards . So do these people find somewhere to go off the streets or are they only there to make an issue at the festive season ?

#552754 - 09/01/19 03:24 PM Re: TV last night street begging is it a con off some [Re: Jack The Lad]
lowebird Offline
Talk Morgan Addict

Loc: norfolk, UK
We have a "lady" who stands outside our local super market selling the Big Issue.
My wife was speaking to her last week and it turns out that, not only can she afford to go to starbucks for coffee and own a mobile phone but she was getting on the bus to the City where she was catching a train home to her apartment where she lived with her husband and children. She has been living here for 15 years and seems to be doing well than you very much.
How many others do we have like this that are leeching off the system whilst others who truly need our help are going by the wayside?

#552759 - 09/01/19 03:30 PM Re: TV last night street begging is it a con off some [Re: Jack The Lad]
tmg513 Offline
Talk Morgan Enthusiast

Loc: Powick
It's as old as the hills though, isn't it? See Conan Doyle's The Man With The Twisted Lip. The Big Issue was meant to be a leg up when it started, now it seems to have turned into a career. Who knows who's genuine and who isn't? It's a very difficult subject.

#552787 - 09/01/19 05:34 PM Re: TV last night street begging is it a con off some [Re: Jack The Lad]
KEVFITZ Offline
Has a lot to Say!

Loc: YORK
I never give beggars money as recommended by all agencies but will buy a coffee and sandwich

One recipient who was sat with his dog remarked he would rather have money and passed the sandwich to his dog !!!

#552800 - 09/01/19 05:46 PM Re: TV last night street begging is it a con off some [Re: Jack The Lad]
milligoon Offline
Talk Morgan Expert

Loc: Dorset, UK
It's not tough, they predate on the wishywashy.

Had a Romanian woman beggar in Florence working the queue of tourists at the Florence (Firenze) Duomo - when I basically internationally said NO, she looked at me with an understanding eye and moved on to the gullible.

Latter on to see her stooped form take a lunch break in her Niké trainers at the cafe opposite and eat her lunch then resume her stooped "oh my poor child" routine after her lunch break., whilst we were still queuing, when she came upon us she remembered me from before with a smile and walked on.

Call me heartless all you like, but if they really need help they should be sleeping on the doorstep of the local council offices.

#552805 - 09/01/19 06:00 PM Re: TV last night street begging is it a con off some [Re: milligoon]
Gambalunga Offline

Member of the Inner Circle

Loc: Mandello del Lario, Lake Como,...
Originally Posted By milligoon
Had a Romanian woman beggar in Florence

She could have been Romanian but more likely a Gypsy who are known either as "Rom" or "Zingari" in Italy. Their origin dates back to a 14th and 15th century immigration from India.

I have known proud and hard working Gypsies (in Australia) but unfortunately most that I have come across here are parasites on society. It is a matter of fact that housebreaking thefts always increase when there is an encampment in the region and where they are camped the council is left with a huge cleanup of rubbish when they leave.

If this sounds racist perhaps it is and I make no apology.

#552819 - 09/01/19 06:33 PM Re: TV last night street begging is it a con off some [Re: Jack The Lad]
Jack The Lad Offline
Posting Desperado
Talk Morgan Guru

Loc: The frozen North
So I am not alone in my thoughts after reading the comments . I was in doubt and thought I may stand on someones toes . Well got to go car club night lucky to be going the ink pen in my jeans pocket burst . Move over Charles you are not the only one with blue blood down there . toff

#552822 - 09/01/19 06:43 PM Re: TV last night street begging is it a con off some [Re: Jack The Lad]
+8Rich Offline

Member of the Inner Circle

Loc: UK
I always avoid giving to them directly for the many examples above but contribute where I think the money is targeted more effectively.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Aeroman, Boshly, Simon