Click here to return to the home page.
Image of a road.
Who's Online
9 registered (Neptune, Gambalunga, griffo, MJF, Supamog, Alistair, Ulli, Northernmorgan, Q8morgan), 120 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
VictoryMog June 2019 Form and Car Passes
2019 Classic Car & Restoration Show
Triumph TR4a-IRS
A day out in Felixstowe
Ecoboost Plus 4 rolling road session
Newest Topics
Magnum Tuning Performance Chip for S&S Engine
by Bunny
23/03/19 12:04 PM
Thoughts please
by meabh
23/03/19 11:05 AM
Rear tyres for the Coupe, whats the latest ?
by Alistair
23/03/19 08:26 AM
The Brabham BT62 will race at Le Mans
by +8Rich
22/03/19 10:49 PM
Fitting a Panhard Rod
by Button
22/03/19 07:51 PM
Carol Vorderman joins MMC asadvisor ?
by sospan
22/03/19 06:59 PM
Mercedes E300 Hybrid
by Budster
22/03/19 06:26 PM
Newest Members
Jabax4, UTE, robert l, RogerU, GIB
6422 Registered Users
Shout Box

Forum Stats
6,422 Registered Members
33 Forums
34,605 Topics
557,541 Posts

Most users ever online: 341 @ 11/02/18 10:30 PM
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#552914 - 10/01/19 07:31 AM Re: TV last night street begging is it a con off some [Re: Jack The Lad]
Peter J Offline
Formerly known as Aldermog
Member of the Inner Circle

Loc: Salisbury, UK
Before Charing Cross Station was renovated/re-developed there was a lane running down to the Embankment. It had a semi permanent row of "homeless beggars" .
They disappeared and I read that the Inland Revenue had investigated and discovered that whilst collecting money they paid no income tax. At £250.00 a day, on average, they were earning more than most people. So they were presented with assumed tax bills...
If I recall correctly one commuted into London from his mortgaged home in the suburbs.
I didn't know if I should be impressed by the entrepreneurial spirit of angry because they were deceiving the customers.

#552916 - 10/01/19 07:51 AM Re: TV last night street begging is it a con off some [Re: Peter J]
Hamwich Offline

Talk Morgan Guru

Loc: Gloucestershire, UK
Originally Posted By Peter J

I didn't know if I should be impressed by the entrepreneurial spirit of angry because they were deceiving the customers.

Beggars are purveyors of intangible products, offering their customers the chance to feel good about themselves through the act of giving. So long as they are passive, I don't see a huge problem. They are hardly the worst tax-dodgers in society.

Personally I only ever donate to buskers or street artists, they are at least providing a tangible product.

#552926 - 10/01/19 08:14 AM Re: TV last night street begging is it a con off some [Re: Hamwich]
Gambalunga Online   content

Member of the Inner Circle

Loc: Mandello del Lario, Lake Como,...
Originally Posted By Hamwich
Personally I only ever donate to buskers or street artists, they are at least providing a tangible product.

Me too. We sometimes have a pair of Gypsies busking on the Metro in Milan. If they are good I always give them a coin as they pass through the carriage. They are providing an entertainment service after all and they add a bit of cheer and colour to an otherwise dull and boring journey. Certainly better than those that go begging with a "sick" and drugged child.

#552931 - 10/01/19 08:35 AM Re: TV last night street begging is it a con off some [Re: Hamwich]
tmg513 Offline
Talk Morgan Enthusiast

Loc: Powick
Originally Posted By Hamwich
Beggars are purveyors of intangible products, offering their customers the chance to feel good about themselves through the act of giving.

That's very good, I shall try to remember it.

#552932 - 10/01/19 08:38 AM Re: TV last night street begging is it a con off some [Re: Jack The Lad]
Fox Terrier Offline

Has a lot to Say!

Loc: Luton, Bedfordshire
Of course there are the con-artists out there although some of the reports of the salaries they are on may be rather over-inflated. It’s not just street beggars either; there are outwardly “respectable” people making a good living creaming off for themselves a disproportionate amount of your charitable donation to that good cause.

Behind those though, and often hidden, are the real helpless and homeless. I wouldn’t sleep in a shop doorway or underpass, in the freezing cold, being threatened or urinated on, for any amount of money (ok, £1m might sway me!). Before giving, talk to the person you are giving to - you’ll soon sus them out. I’m with Tim; I give to the buskers and artists.

#552937 - 10/01/19 08:56 AM Re: TV last night street begging is it a con off some [Re: Fox Terrier]
rainbowj Offline

Has a lot to Say!

Loc: Purton, nr Swindon UK
Originally Posted By Fox Terrier
Of course there are the con-artists out there although some of the reports of the salaries they are on may be rather over-inflated. It’s not just street beggars either; there are outwardly “respectable” people making a good living creaming off for themselves a disproportionate amount of your charitable donation to that good cause.

Behind those though, and often hidden, are the real helpless and homeless. I wouldn’t sleep in a shop doorway or underpass, in the freezing cold, being threatened or urinated on, for any amount of money (ok, £1m might sway me!). Before giving, talk to the person you are giving to - you’ll soon sus them out. I’m with Tim; I give to the buskers and artists.

I agree. I find the whole subject of homelessness very disturbing. I feel there but for the grace of god go I. There well deserving people on the streets, there through divorce, family breakup etc. The questions is how do you separate the wheat from the chaff.

#552960 - 10/01/19 10:47 AM Re: TV last night street begging is it a con off some [Re: Gambalunga]
Jack The Lad Offline
Posting Desperado
Talk Morgan Guru

Loc: The frozen North
Peter, the busking on the metro trains up here . I found amusing and the reason is . The group pay once jump a train ride it so far playing music then jump off at another station and off swapping on another line all day . If a ticket inspector gets on they get off . I see the funny side in that . grin2

#553042 - 10/01/19 04:45 PM Re: TV last night street begging is it a con off some [Re: Jack The Lad]
Dean-Royal Offline

Talk Morgan Addict

Loc: UK (up north)
Thats why i play the Lottery, it serves mulitple purposes.

#553051 - 10/01/19 05:06 PM Re: TV last night street begging is it a con off some [Re: Dean-Royal]
Jack The Lad Offline
Posting Desperado
Talk Morgan Guru

Loc: The frozen North
Good luck Dean . I don't bother with it .Lost all my mates so money is not that important life is.

#554497 - 18/01/19 12:23 PM Re: TV last night street begging is it a con off some [Re: Jack The Lad]
Bonesie Offline
L - Learner Plates On

Loc: Yorkshireman living in Surrey
I was in Petra a few years ago. A young girl, maybe ten, in near rags was begging with her mother. I gave her some of my change in her outstretched hands at which point her mother beamed at me and smiled showing off a mouthful of gold teeth !! Guess where my money was going !

Years ago I became quite friendly with tramp. Id pass him every day as I walked to work in Leeds, bunging him a fag everyday. From time to time I wonder whatever became of him.

I give beggars a bit of cash now and then. With a few exceptions,I figure most that I pass are genuinely at rock bottom.

Edited by Bonesie (18/01/19 12:25 PM)

Current stead - 'The Captain' Black +4

'Life is like a garden, dig it' *Joe Dirt farmer

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Aeroman, Boshly, Simon