Click here to return to the home page.
Image of a road.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 109 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
65 Plus 4 Four Seater back seat Lift-a-dot studs
Fuel cap seal
Touring Scotland with Anglemog.
Not out the woods yet...
"Slammed Lada"
Newest Topics
Seeking a half tonneau for a 65 +4 four seater
by Edwin
Today at 02:12 AM
Goodwood Festival of Speed and Factory 'tickets'
by pete757
Yesterday at 06:08 PM
Use Gunk/degreaser to clean rear compartment?
by Joejoe
Yesterday at 05:16 PM
A rose between two thorns
by M3W55
Yesterday at 04:16 PM
Fossilmog Annual Hive Beach Picnic Sunday 30 June
by rid967
Yesterday at 12:47 PM
Exhaust Bobbins
by Craig Jezz
14/06/19 11:08 PM
Back on TM with a M3W on order
by lord-richfield
14/06/19 08:51 PM
Newest Members
arnieb, BradB, PANTHRO, MarsdenRobinson, M500
6524 Registered Users
Shout Box

Forum Stats
6,524 Registered Members
33 Forums
35,367 Topics
570,709 Posts

Most users ever online: 341 @ 11/02/18 10:30 PM
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#552826 - 09/01/19 06:52 PM ‘Son of Concorde’
+8Rich Offline

Member of the Inner Circle

Loc: Devonshire

It'll be very interesting to see Steve Jobs idea take to the air this year.

Son of Concorde

1999 Indigo Blue +8
2009 4/4 Sport Green
1994 Connaught Green +8

#552830 - 09/01/19 07:25 PM Re: ‘Son of Concorde’ [Re: +8Rich]
IvorMog Offline

Talk Morgan Regular

Loc: Staffordshire
Interesting that the overall shape is very similar to Concorde which was designed in the 1960's

I will be very surprised if this is a commercial success.

1999 4/4 1.8 Zetec

#552836 - 09/01/19 07:44 PM Re: ‘Son of Concorde’ [Re: IvorMog]
Hamwich Offline

Talk Morgan Guru

Loc: Gloucestershire, UK
Originally Posted By IvorMog
Interesting that the overall shape is very similar to Concorde which was designed in the 1960's

I will be very surprised if this is a commercial success.

Indeed. What killed Concorde was essentially the fact that there actually aren't that many people who are prepared to pay cartloads of money to get somewhere quickly, whereas of course there are millions and millions of people who are prepared to pay money to get somewhere cheaply.

I can't see that things have changed much in the last 40 years or so.

#552840 - 09/01/19 07:57 PM Re: ‘Son of Concorde’ [Re: Hamwich]
Graham, G4FUJ Offline
Salty Sea Dog

Loc: Cheltenham, Glos. UK
I wonder if the same will apply to HS2 smile

D8921 L44FOR '93 4/4 Giallo Fly 2 seat smile
'90 LR 90 SW
'07 MINI Cooper

#552863 - 09/01/19 09:12 PM Re: ‘Son of Concorde’ [Re: Graham, G4FUJ]
howard Offline
Part of the Furniture

Originally Posted By Graham, G4FUJ
I wonder if the same will apply to HS2 smile

No because the people who will be paying the tons of money are us and mostly not the users

#552878 - 09/01/19 10:30 PM Re: ‘Son of Concorde’ [Re: +8Rich]
Peter J Offline
Formerly known as Aldermog

Loc: Salisbury, UK
SWMBO and I flew in Concorde....a magical experience.

A 55 seat fuel efficient SST will be viable.
Concorde was, technologically, a child of the 60s. Engines and electronics have moved on a lot.

Interesting fact: the replica ME 262 jets built a few years ago used J85 engines. The originals had an endurance of an hour. The replicas, with the same fuel tankage, could cross the Atlantic.....

#552883 - 09/01/19 10:48 PM Re: ‘Son of Concorde’ [Re: +8Rich]
+8Rich Offline

I wish them luck with it and hope it is successful, there are always people around willing to pay crazy money to save time.

They have a waiting list of people to sample space at £250,000 a go after all.
https://www.facebook.com/VirginGalactic/videos/1928109237242718/

Interesting about those replica 262's.

1999 Indigo Blue +8
2009 4/4 Sport Green
1994 Connaught Green +8

#552897 - 10/01/19 04:11 AM Re: ‘Son of Concorde’ [Re: +8Rich]
pete757 Offline
L - Learner Plates On

I don't actually think ticket cost is an issue now. When Concorde was 'retired' from service, a typical crossing cost circa £8k... Today, a typical BA first class ticket costs circa £7k... there will be people who will be willing to pay that.

'Overture' will have half the seating capacity of Concord, MUCH more efficient engines, more efficient design etc etc I think will make this quite viable commercially.

Finally a forward step in commercial aviation. Good luck to them :>)

#552902 - 10/01/19 05:33 AM Re: ‘Son of Concorde’ [Re: +8Rich]
Stewart S Offline
Wave & smile... It's a Morgan

Loc: Lancashire, England
I agree, I think a supersonic transatlantic service with a new Concorde type aircraft would be viable

I think wealthy businesses and individuals will pay to get across quickly as they did with Concorde previously

It was the ongoing high cost of maintenance and insurance after the Concorde crash coupled with the age of the craft that killed the commercial viability so a new aircraft would make sense

It’s how you factor in the cost of development and the cost of production that will be the real critical factor

But then as we’ve seen with Branson’s and Musks space flights, these vanity (actually a bit harsh as it’s more about pushing the boundaries and human endeavour) projects don’t seem to be money making projects as their aim

#552913 - 10/01/19 07:16 AM Re: ‘Son of Concorde’ [Re: Stewart S]
Peter J Offline

BA made money flying Concorde even after the Air France crash.
Air France never made money flying Concorde.

Concorde stopped flying because the French CAA withdrew type approval and refused to let the UK CAA approve the aircraft as a UK only machine. They did this by leaning on the French side of the production partnership, It was mainly a political decision.

#552915 - 10/01/19 07:43 AM Re: ‘Son of Concorde’ [Re: Peter J]
Hamwich Offline

Talk Morgan Guru

Originally Posted By Peter J
BA made money flying Concorde even after the Air France crash.
Air France never made money flying Concorde.

Only if you ignore the development costs.

Concorde was a beautiful plane and a technological marvel, but it was a commercial failure because it was a solution to a problem that didn't exist.

The more or less contemporary Boeing 747, however, was the complete reverse. Not particularly glamorous but a brilliant design and the perfect solution for what was actually needed.

#552922 - 10/01/19 08:01 AM Re: ‘Son of Concorde’ [Re: IvorMog]
N22MOG Offline

Has a lot to Say!

Loc: Edenbridge, Kent, UK
Concorde was way ahead of its time, the basic design was spot on for supersonic travel. It was politics that finally killed it off. Technologically speaking engines have moved on considerably since the 1960s and are now massively more efficient and clean. I spent 45 years working in the aerospace industry and travelled across the Atlantic regularly, I’ve been in economy, business and first class, and sometimes paid for an upgrade personally. If I had the money to cut the journey time in half I would do so every time and I think there are enough people out there willing and able to pay the price to make it a viable proposition. I was at a conference a few years back when Alan Sugar was a guest speaker, he was asked how he “justifies” having a large private jet, his response was that he doesn’t have to justify it, he hates going through airports and can afford not to have to be processed with the rest of us, simple as that! Refreshingly honest I thought.

1996 Plus 8

#552934 - 10/01/19 08:45 AM Re: ‘Son of Concorde’ [Re: N22MOG]
pandy Offline

Talk Morgan Guru

Loc: West Paris, France
Originally Posted By N22MOG
It was politics that finally killed it off.

Nothing to do with that crash in Paris then ?

#552950 - 10/01/19 09:49 AM Re: ‘Son of Concorde’ [Re: +8Rich]
Robbie Offline

Talk Morgan Expert

Loc: Co Wexford, Ireland
Supersonic flights were banned over the US because the yanks didn’t want the European plane to succeed when they hadn’t a competitor - pure “trumpian” politics!!! The technical or economic issues were beyond them and they couldn’t snaffle the technology as they had done with jet tech after the 2nd world war under “repayment” of war loans.

"Fettlebodge"-- chief of the PaddyMogs

#552954 - 10/01/19 10:01 AM Re: ‘Son of Concorde’ [Re: +8Rich]
John V6 Offline

Loc: Suffolk
I flew once in Concorde across the Atlantic. It was superb.

#552973 - 10/01/19 11:54 AM Re: ‘Son of Concorde’ [Re: N22MOG]
Hamwich Offline

Talk Morgan Guru

I think there are enough people out there willing and able to pay the price to make it a viable proposition.

That's the handy thing about Capitalism and private enterprise, if you are right there will be plenty of people happy to invest their money and take a risk in the venture in order to ensure its success.

HS2, in contrast, looks to me like a re-run of the original Concorde programme - billions of pounds of taxpayers money pumped into a political vanity project of questionable probity developing a solution to a problem that doesn't exist instead of addressing the very real problems of mass transport infrastructure that do exist and are crying out for public investment.

#552981 - 10/01/19 12:29 PM Re: ‘Son of Concorde’ [Re: Peter J]
MOG 615 Offline

Has a lot to Say!

Loc: London
Peter

There was another theory about Concorde’s demise.

Those 4 Olympus jets (with afterburners?) had a very high heat signature in the sky. This made them an easy target for a terrorist group with access to heat seeking missiles. The high profile travellers who used Concorde also made them an attractive target.

Just a theory that I was informed about by someone in the aerospace industry.

#552982 - 10/01/19 12:34 PM Re: ‘Son of Concorde’ [Re: Hamwich]
Rob Thornton Offline

Learner Plates Off!

Loc: Reading
Originally Posted By Hamwich
I think there are enough people out there willing and able to pay the price to make it a viable proposition.

That's the handy thing about Capitalism and private enterprise, if you are right there will be plenty of people happy to invest their money and take a risk in the venture in order to ensure its success.

HS2, in contrast, looks to me like a re-run of the original Concorde programme - billions of pounds of taxpayers money pumped into a political vanity project of questionable probity developing a solution to a problem that doesn't exist instead of addressing the very real problems of mass transport infrastructure that do exist and are crying out for public investment.

I understand the concern re the balance of costs between new and existing railway infrastructure but there is a difference between HS2 and Concorde in that the money spent on HS2 is in building it rather than developing the technology. Whether you think it is being spent on the right thing is a different matter.
The Department for Transport's case (I think it is available on the internet) is based on a wider spread of economic benefits than those relating purely to the use of the service itself. I have mentioned before that the new line will free up existing routes for better local services and add much needed capacity to the network as a whole. It is also intended to attract more people to change mode to a more sustainable form of transport. Yes, the journey time benefits are in the equation but it is not just about the businessman getting to a meeting earlier as is often reported.

#552997 - 10/01/19 01:17 PM Re: ‘Son of Concorde’ [Re: Rob Thornton]
BobtheTrain Offline

Charter Member

Loc: Renfrewshire
Originally Posted By Rob Thornton
I have mentioned before that the new line will free up existing routes for better local services and add much needed capacity to the network as a whole. It is also intended to attract more people to change mode to a more sustainable form of transport.

Thank you, Rob. Also headways and 2, 3 or 4 aspect signalling comes into it.

#553002 - 10/01/19 01:53 PM Re: ‘Son of Concorde’ [Re: Rob Thornton]
pandy Offline

Talk Morgan Guru

Loc: West Paris, France
Originally Posted By Rob Thornton

I understand the concern re the balance of costs between new and existing railway infrastructure but there is a difference between HS2 and Concorde in that the money spent on HS2 is in building it rather than developing the technology. Whether you think it is being spent on the right thing is a different matter.
The Department for Transport's case (I think it is available on the internet) is based on a wider spread of economic benefits than those relating purely to the use of the service itself. I have mentioned before that the new line will free up existing routes for better local services and add much needed capacity to the network as a whole. It is also intended to attract more people to change mode to a more sustainable form of transport. Yes, the journey time benefits are in the equation but it is not just about the businessman getting to a meeting earlier as is often reported.

One of the things I like about France is the enthusiasm for "le grand projet" and this has certainly been true of the railways.

The high speed rail network here has been of massive benefit. To be able to get from Paris to Bordeaux in 2 hours or to Marseille in 3 is fantastic, and combined with a realistic fares structure makes it a much more attractive prospect than flying, particularly as air travel has become such a ghastly experience. As over 80% of the electricity is produced by nuclear or alternative energy, there's also a real environmental case to be made too.

Yes, it has been costly, but large infrastructure projects generate employment, and stimulate the economy; projects such as railway lines should be looked at in the longer term. Just consider that most of the UK rail network dates back to Victorian times, and the public benefit that it has provided. Increasing capacity by building new lines to take pressure off the existing infrastructure has to be a good thing (unless it's going through your back garden perhaps....)

#553003 - 10/01/19 01:56 PM Re: ‘Son of Concorde’ [Re: +8Rich]
Philippo Offline
Learner Plates Off!

Loc: Beaumont de Lomagne, France
Very interesting topic.

From having spoking to quite a few people close to Concorde and Airbus, my understanding of the reason operations stopped is that the real cost of support had become incredibly high due in no small part to the fleet being so small.

Personally I think supersonic flight will return relatively soon, but with a smaller aircraft seating maybe 6-20 pax, and for VVIP owners only.

Cheers

Philip

4/4 4 seater 1974 (to be replaced soon by in-build 1985 +8 4 seater)
Malone F1000

#553057 - 10/01/19 05:12 PM Re: ‘Son of Concorde’ [Re: pandy]
Hamwich Offline

Talk Morgan Guru

Originally Posted By pandy

Yes, it has been costly, but large infrastructure projects generate employment, and stimulate the economy; projects such as railway lines should be looked at in the longer term. Just consider that most of the UK rail network dates back to Victorian times, and the public benefit that it has provided. Increasing capacity by building new lines to take pressure off the existing infrastructure has to be a good thing (unless it's going through your back garden perhaps....)

If you look at the cost of HS2 though I can't help thinking there would be far more benefit to be gained by more general upgrades to the entire network rather then one flagship line. Why is most of the network still dependent on crappy old diesels, for example? And why are we still waiting for promised signalling improvements on our local line to allow more than one train an hour to run through Stroud?

#553058 - 10/01/19 05:14 PM Re: ‘Son of Concorde’ [Re: MOG 615]
Peter J Offline

Originally Posted By MOG 615
Peter

There was another theory about Concorde’s demise.

Those 4 Olympus jets (with afterburners?) had a very high heat signature in the sky. This made them an easy target for a terrorist group with access to heat seeking missiles. The high profile travellers who used Concorde also made them an attractive target.

Just a theory that I was informed about by someone in the aerospace industry.

A valid point, another is that there is no way to put a secure cockpit door between the cabin and flight deck.

I always wondered why the 9-11 terrorists didn't hijack a Concorde departing KFK and fly it at Mach 2.02 into the US Capitol building. The kinetic energy would have been massive, not to mention all the fuel.

Concorde cruised at 65,000 ft, Mach 2.02. The only RAF interceptor of the day capable of catching it was the BAE Lightning... The USA had nothing, other than the F104.

#553089 - 10/01/19 07:05 PM Re: ‘Son of Concorde’ [Re: Philippo]
+8Rich Offline

Originally Posted By Philippo
Very interesting topic.

From having spoking to quite a few people close to Concorde and Airbus, my understanding of the reason operations stopped is that the real cost of support had become incredibly high due in no small part to the fleet being so small.

Personally I think supersonic flight will return relatively soon, but with a smaller aircraft seating maybe 6-20 pax, and for VVIP owners only.

Cheers

Philip

Like you Philip I think we are very close to this becoming reality, people are at last realising that "time is the most valuable commodity".

1999 Indigo Blue +8
2009 4/4 Sport Green
1994 Connaught Green +8

#553104 - 10/01/19 08:09 PM Re: ‘Son of Concorde’ [Re: +8Rich]
ewn Offline

Has a lot to Say!

Loc: NE Scotland
Nah, time is relative, water is the only truly valuable commodity. laugh2

#553110 - 10/01/19 08:51 PM Re: ‘Son of Concorde’ [Re: ewn]
Rob Thornton Offline

Learner Plates Off!

Loc: Reading
Originally Posted By ewn
Nah, time is relative, water is the only truly valuable commodity. laugh2

Could be why we like top-down Morgans then!

#553125 - 10/01/19 10:50 PM Re: ‘Son of Concorde’ [Re: +8Rich]
Jacques Offline
Just Getting Started

Loc: Between Paris & Montlhery - Fr...

Some frenchies at Toulouse this year !

Nota : The founder and first president in 1974 of the french Morgan Club (french section of the MSCC), Patrick Boisvieux was steward on Concorde.

#553126 - 10/01/19 10:54 PM Re: ‘Son of Concorde’ [Re: Jacques]
+8Rich Offline

Thanks for sharing that picture Jacques that is a great shot, and interesting bit of history about your club.

1999 Indigo Blue +8
2009 4/4 Sport Green
1994 Connaught Green +8

#553133 - 10/01/19 11:37 PM Re: ‘Son of Concorde’ [Re: Philippo]
Aeroman Offline

Talk Morgan Guru

Loc: Eton, Berks
Originally Posted By Philippo
Very interesting topic.

Cheers

Philip

From a friend we have that works for BA, that is also their interpretation of the future for supersonic flight. With the exponential expansion of billionaires in the world, it appears there is a gap in the market for a small supersonic plane.

Regarding Concorde, I agree with Tim’s assessment that the jumbo jet answered the transport requirement at the time, rather than supersonic flight. Having said that both Head Office and I thoroughly enjoyed our transatlantic flight on it, even if it took 3-hours to get our luggage as the baggage handlers were on strike! oldgit

Morgan SP1 (Rocket Red)
Morgan Plus 8 (Rocket Blue)
Morgan Plus 8 - Moss Box (Black)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Aeroman, Boshly, Simon