Click here to return to the home page.
Image of a road.
Who's Online
18 registered (stevemag, A11OGE, CooperMan, Wirewheel, griffo, Phil Bleazey, mph, MOG 615, brownbaker, JCD, jbk, kennethjoh, Richard Wood, 60Yards, Pmh44, smudger1, petemog, JohnS), 47 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
Turbo Plus 4 - final report
Sunny Shropshire!
As Ordered
Spring in Norway
Vehicle Lifts
Newest Topics
Garage Lift double stack Morgan cars
by BuyBritish
24/04/19 06:47 AM
Fairbourne Screen Update
by Michael H
23/04/19 09:22 PM
PSA - 1.6 Sigma - copper adapter is a weak link
by PerryP
23/04/19 06:32 PM
Turbo Plus 4 Plus -- final report
by griffo
23/04/19 04:44 PM
Dimension needed -Plus 8
by Culminator
23/04/19 04:29 PM
Tesla (your car will go moonlighting!)
by Alistair
23/04/19 02:02 PM
good new toy for smartphone photography
by Alistair
23/04/19 01:21 PM
Newest Members
Andy Hatch, Toyracer59, Roxy Plus4, RobCol, Rsglush
6471 Registered Users
Shout Box

Forum Stats
6,471 Registered Members
33 Forums
34,857 Topics
562,570 Posts

Most users ever online: 341 @ 11/02/18 10:30 PM
Today's Birthdays
ianc
Page 5 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#553867 - 14/01/19 10:09 PM Re: Won't idle..... [Re: TBM]
britmog Offline
L - Learner Plates On

Loc: Colorado, USA
So the idle issues have occurred since you "set up" the idle mixture screw and throttle screw a few weeks ago?
2013 M3W (Olga)

#553870 - 14/01/19 10:21 PM Re: Won't idle..... [Re: britmog]
TBM Offline
Learner Plates Off!

Loc: Northants, UK
Originally Posted By britmog
So the idle issues have occurred since you "set up" the idle mixture screw and throttle screw a few weeks ago?

No, they've been occurring since I bought her in Novemeber.

Last time it happened (before this most recent event) I wound the tickover right up to try and stop her from stalling. When she cleared herself the idle was really high, so I reduced the idle and set the mixture. Had two clear weeks, until the latest fill up....

#553872 - 14/01/19 10:39 PM Re: Won't idle..... [Re: TBM]
Ray Offline

Part of the Furniture

Loc: Llanelli
Have you tried the Italian tune up.... Some times it does work.

#553876 - 14/01/19 11:08 PM Re: Won't idle..... [Re: TBM]
Gambalunga Offline

Member of the Inner Circle

Loc: Mandello del Lario, Lake Como,...
Originally Posted By TBM
The card has only done 600 miles from new, so shouldn't be worn. If the other fixes don't work, I'll start digging deeper.

I assume that is automatic predictive text error and you actually meant "The car has only done 600 miles from new". If so it means it has been sitting unused in a garage for an awful long time. In a case like this you can get corrosion in the fuel tank due to condensed water. I have never done it but I believe that the fuel tank can be removed from under the car. It might be an idea to keep in mind the possibility of removing it and giving it a good flush and maybe a treatment or alternatively put a new tank in the budget.

The fact that it is cutting out at idle tends to eliminate the possibility of an actual fuel line blockage or it would be running lean or cutting out under load. If you have an exhaust leak that is heating the fuel line or the fuel line has bee routed too close to the exhaust it could be causing vaporisation in the fuel line.

If it is a fuel problem it is either too rich at idle (black exhaust smoke or plugs fouling) or too lean. Fuel level too high or too low or either the needle jet, the float, or the idle jet giving problems.

Have you fitted new plugs, plug caps and leads? The old ones could well be faulty. Losing the spark through a faulty plug lead is not uncommon. If still original they have probably deteriorated over the years.

A new condenser, new plugs, caps and plug leads won't cost a fortune and will pretty much eliminate ignition problems (check for any poor, corroded, or loose wiring connections too.

If that is not the problem you have to chase down the possibility of a fuelling issue.

When you get it all sorted you will have a wonderful low mileage classic.

#553878 - 14/01/19 11:20 PM Re: Won't idle..... [Re: Gambalunga]
+8Rich Offline

Member of the Inner Circle

Loc: Devonshire
Originally Posted By Gambalunga
Originally Posted By TBM
The card has only done 600 miles from new, so shouldn't be worn. If the other fixes don't work, I'll start digging deeper.

I assume that is automatic predictive text error and you actually meant "The car has only done 600 miles from new". If so it means it has been sitting unused in a garage for an awful long time. In a case like this you can get corrosion in the fuel tank due to condensed water. I have never done it but I believe that the fuel tank can be removed from under the car. It might be an idea to keep in mind the possibility of removing it and giving it a good flush and maybe a treatment or alternatively put a new tank in the budget.

The fact that it is cutting out at idle tends to eliminate the possibility of an actual fuel line blockage or it would be running lean or cutting out under load. If you have an exhaust leak that is heating the fuel line or the fuel line has bee routed too close to the exhaust it could be causing vaporisation in the fuel line.

If it is a fuel problem it is either too rich at idle (black exhaust smoke or plugs fouling) or too lean. Fuel level too high or too low or either the needle jet, the float, or the idle jet giving problems.

Have you fitted new plugs, plug caps and leads? The old ones could well be faulty. Losing the spark through a faulty plug lead is not uncommon. If still original they have probably deteriorated over the years.

A new condenser, new plugs, caps and plug leads won't cost a fortune and will pretty much eliminate ignition problems (check for any poor, corroded, or loose wiring connections too.

If that is not the problem you have to chase down the possibility of a fuelling issue.

Peter, reading that back I think TBM maybe meant that the carb has only got 600 miles on it from new so has been replaced recently.
I maybe wrong.

#553882 - 15/01/19 12:09 AM Re: Won't idle..... [Re: +8Rich]
pandy Offline

Talk Morgan Guru

Loc: West Paris, France
Won't idle ?

Get it a job with the council hide

#553884 - 15/01/19 02:58 AM Re: Won't idle..... [Re: TBM]
morgan_75 Offline
L - Learner Plates On

Loc: Massachusetts, USA
A vacuum leak would cause poor idle and make it impossible to tune low speed. A blockage in the idle circuit will also make it impossible to tune. You might not notice either of these at higher engine speeds.

#553887 - 15/01/19 07:05 AM Re: Won't idle..... [Re: Ray]
TBM Offline
Learner Plates Off!

Originally Posted By Ray
Have you tried the Italian tune up.... Some times it does work.

Funny you should say that - first time it happened I was in the Cotswolds, it lasted for a couple of days and I was getting VERY frustrated - took a very fast blat up the M5 to Worcester to see my folks, and it cleared..... (I reckon it was as soon as she caught sight of the Malverns!)

Edited by TBM (15/01/19 07:06 AM)

#553888 - 15/01/19 07:09 AM Re: Won't idle..... [Re: +8Rich]
TBM Offline
Learner Plates Off!

Originally Posted By +8Rich
Originally Posted By Gambalunga
Originally Posted By TBM

Peter, reading that back I think TBM maybe meant that the carb has only got 600 miles on it from new so has been replaced recently.
I maybe wrong.

Correct - it's the carb.

However, although she's done about 82000 in total, she's only done about 600 in the last 6 years, so I think there will be a lot of crud in the tank getting stirred up.

I've have priced up a replacement tank as a last resort!

#553889 - 15/01/19 07:14 AM Re: Won't idle..... [Re: TBM]
TBM Offline
Learner Plates Off!

First of all, a big thank you for all the help and advice - very much appreciated.

Frustratingly, she started perfectly last night after I'd got the headlights working, and she did the 25 miles commute to work without issue......

Page 5 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  Aeroman, Boshly, Simon