Click here to return to the home page.
Classic Morgans
Who's Online
3 registered (Heinz, Andrew Kidney, MarioCP), 21 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
M3W Tour of New Zealand 2019
Concept Royal Enfield V Twin
Go Outdoors
Morgan 3 wheeler oil cooler
Show us your Bike
Newest Topics
Recommended engine oil for a 4/4 engine 1.6 TI VCT
by Heinz
19/03/19 01:52 AM
One Shot Oiler
by britmog
18/03/19 11:32 PM
Finally coming for you
by Bourbonmog
18/03/19 11:23 PM
Continuously asked, Is it Real or a Kit?
by PocketRocket
18/03/19 08:31 PM
Essential Three Wheeler tool kit
by LightSpeed
18/03/19 08:26 PM
Krazy Horse Stage 1 or 2 Exhaust Noise - Advice
by Black Adder
18/03/19 06:44 PM
Bus Gate
by N22MOG
18/03/19 06:00 PM
Newest Members
Jabax4, UTE, robert l, RogerU, GIB
6422 Registered Users
Shout Box

Forum Stats
6,422 Registered Members
33 Forums
34,559 Topics
556,493 Posts

Most users ever online: 341 @ 11/02/18 10:30 PM
Today's Birthdays
gazum
Page 5 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#553347 - 11/01/19 11:58 PM Re: LED headlights [Re: madmax]
Richard Wood Offline
Talk Morgan Enthusiast

Loc: East Harling, Norfolk UK
Yes probably the best option using first position of light switch to operate DRL plus rear lights. You are in control then with DRL doubling as front position light, unless you have optional wing top lights of course.

Edited by Richard Wood (12/01/19 12:00 AM)

2018 Roadster - Red/Magnolia - "Morton"
1967 Land Rover series 2a SWB
1960 Velocette Venom

#553349 - 12/01/19 12:15 AM Re: LED headlights [Re: madmax]
Heinz Online   content

Talk Morgan Addict

Loc: Cologne, Germany
One more question, we have a legal requirement that the DRL must be dimmed when the headlights are switched on. Do these replacement LED lights do this automatically internally?

#553370 - 12/01/19 09:21 AM Re: LED headlights [Re: madmax]
Richard Wood Offline
Talk Morgan Enthusiast

Will need to check Heinz although DRL intensity is many times weaker than dipped beam so would guess it's not dimmed.

Main beam uses the same six outer focused LED'S that provide DRL function, but on full power, so issue becomes irrelevant.

I wonder if this requirement in your country is for vehicles with separate DRL lights not integrated ones as this is.

Edited by Richard Wood (12/01/19 09:34 AM)

1960 Velocette Venom

#553398 - 12/01/19 11:07 AM Re: LED headlights [Re: madmax]
Heinz Online   content

Talk Morgan Addict

Richard, It seems to be a good feature of your product because in this case there is no extra DRL left during the drive light use.

The problem with morer daytime running lights is that they are not bundled and radiate everywhere. Morer people have attached additional DRL to their older cars and this can get on your nerves at night because they don‘t dimm.

The newer Nolden headlight, generation 2 (not the Defender OEM generation 1) I wanted to choose has extra DRL which has no other lighting function, it is integrated in the housing but separated technically so I have to find out if it is dimmed automatically. Or I switch it via my air conditioner button, just like the additional high beam on the P4SS used to.

I could choose an LED without DRL like Nolden generation 1 or others but during day time I don't want to do without a new DRL, because I always drive with light anyway.

#553556 - 13/01/19 11:04 AM Re: LED headlights [Re: madmax]
Richard Wood Offline
Talk Morgan Enthusiast

Can confirm that the DRL function turns off when dipped beam selected. For more info on these BLHL7R-C headlamps click image.

Note dipped beam uses Phillips LED and the six outer main beam ones Cree.

1960 Velocette Venom

#553648 - 13/01/19 05:58 PM Re: LED headlights [Re: madmax]
Heinz Online   content

Talk Morgan Addict

Richard, considering the price and the impressive performance in the comparison test I am tempted also to order and try your choice (LHD for Germany). 255 GBP a pair sounds much more attractive than 880€ a pair of Nolden.

In the product description for using in a Defender the below quoted advice is written on the powerfulUK site concerning the HL051:

„...We recommend using our open back headlight bowls when fitting these headlights as these LED headlights are sealed and run brighter the cooler they are. ( Search our other items for part number "HLB194" )...“

I guess the Morgan does not need a bowl at all because the lamp housing is sealed anyway? But does the sealed lamp housing of the Morgans on the other side could let the LEDs become too hot?

#553662 - 13/01/19 07:30 PM Re: LED headlights [Re: madmax]
Robbie Mathisen Offline
L - Learner Plates On

Loc: Bergen, Norway
Could this be of any interest?
www.bettercarlighting.co.uk/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=737
Saw it mentioned on TM a while ago, don't know the product. Sounds almost too good to be true, strange that neither of the big companies (Osram, Phillips) has come out with something similar. Personally, the LEDs of Williams or the like is not to my taste. I think a Morgan's appearance should be strictly classic, but of course if it i possible to combine looks with improved light, it would be nice. I've put in Osram Nightbreakers, good enough for me. Of course not like LEDs, but bright enough.

#553664 - 13/01/19 07:43 PM Re: LED headlights [Re: madmax]
Hamwich Offline

Talk Morgan Guru

Loc: Gloucestershire, UK
Originally Posted By Robbie Mathisen
Sounds almost too good to be true

I've not learned much in my 60 years, but I have learned that if something seems too good to be true it is.

How could you stop lights this bright dazzling either oncoming drivers or traffic in front of you?

#553674 - 13/01/19 08:25 PM Re: LED headlights [Re: madmax]
Richard Wood Offline
Talk Morgan Enthusiast

Just my view but all LED headlamps are very bright. They generally don't dazzle people on dipped beam because of the exceptionally sharp cutoff of light above a certain level/distance. This cutoff line is very apparent on the rear valance of any car you may be following, as noticed on both my Roadster and our three year old Mini.

Obviously they require careful adjustment and use of dipped beam. They also present a worst case scenario when your car crests a steep hill and an oncoming vehicle is looking up into them. I would imagine a Mog scrores better here given its low headlamp location though. It's firm front suspension is also an advantage limiting the bouncing of light onto oncoming.

Regarding Heinz query on cooling, undoubtedly the open back bowls would seem to offer better cooling but not a justifiable option for my car. I convinced myself given headlamp location and loose fit of headlamp rim to lens, there will be plenty of air flowing around the standard bowl. After a one hour journey in the dark I could detect no heat at all eminating from them.

BTW on the journey mentioned returning from visiting Cain, and on the A11 a new Aston shot past me. The drivers enthusiastic style meant brake lights were constantly on and off as he attempted to make brisk progress in the outer lane. As I followed at a safe distance, this wouldn't have been a worry but for the unmistakable high level LED brake light repeater stretching the full width of rear screen. Could not believe this huge band of exceptionally bright solid red light could be legal scared

Edited by Richard Wood (13/01/19 10:37 PM)

1960 Velocette Venom

#553679 - 13/01/19 08:48 PM Re: LED headlights [Re: Richard Wood]
Rob Thornton Offline

Learner Plates Off!

Loc: Reading
Originally Posted By Richard Wood
Just my view but all LED headlamps are very bright. They generally don't dazzle people on dipped beam because of the exceptionally sharp cutoff of light above a certain level/distance. This cutoff line is very apparent on the rear valance of any car you may be following, as noticed on both my Roadster and our three year old Mini.

Richard, you make an interesting point about cut-off on dipped beam. My Volvo has active bending lighting and very bright lights although they are not LEDs. The cut-off on dipped beam is severe and when following traffic at night on unlit roads at a distance suitable for the speed one is travelling at this leaves a totally black space between to top of the cut-off and the preceding vehicle which is very disconcerting. I have been told by a number of people that in this situation they leave their main beams on irrespective of whether there is oncoming traffic.
My lights on main beam are excellent but I would be much happier with a bit more light spill on dipped beam if it wasn't too intrusive for the car in front or, indeed, oncoming traffic.

Page 5 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Aeroman, Boshly, Simon