My first job of 2019.
As part of my Mulfab front brake upgrade on my Roadster, I've also got a replacement rear flexible hose, so today I decided to get this changed, and inspect the rear drums as part of my rolling service.
The rear flexible in 2005 wasn't armoured, it's a simple rubber hose with a plastic anti-rub coil.
Here's the old hose. I kept the coil and fitted it over the new armoured hose, even though this is not strictly necessary.
I had to cut a hole in my wooden tool tray to provide clearance for the axle breather. I know it's a snug fit but I was amused to see that it's worn the paint away........
Under the wheelarch has stayed clean this year, not so much wet running.
Inside the drums is still pretty good. These are now 14 years old. They get an annual clean as part of the service. The cylinders are still original but are starting to look a bit crusty. I'll probably change them next year.
This is the upper union over the axle. I did this from below to save removing the tool tray.
This is the chassis end, now freshly sprayed with Tectyl 506. Looks messy when wet but dries to a dull finish. This union is not so easy to get to, but overall this job went easily. There was minimal loss of brake fluid. When reassembled I put thirty strokes of Dot4 through each side to flush through. The pedal came straight back.
Next Job is the front, which will take a bit more time!