Click here to return to the home page.
Image of a road.
Who's Online
19 registered (Stewart S, brian battersby, PeterG, Ricardo, N22MOG, deano, CooperMan, jimmyw, rcmatt, M3W55, Shooter, NickCW, DonM, jong, SER, dodgyken, rainbowj, Guten, yobtaf), 63 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
Rodger's M3W oil cooler
Bonesies new car :
4/4 80th Anniversary
Dunnottar Moonrise
Rodger's M3W
Newest Topics
oil cooler installation
by rcmatt
20/02/19 01:40 PM
Fitting a valance to my +4
by tommog
20/02/19 11:08 AM
A big welcome from the Inner Circle
by DaveW
20/02/19 10:01 AM
Spark Plugs
by James B W
20/02/19 09:30 AM
Golf Clubs
by SFG
20/02/19 08:29 AM
Im in the club !! new (to me ) +4
by Bonesie
19/02/19 11:05 PM
How do you say "Worcestershire sauce"?
by Gambalunga
19/02/19 08:44 PM
Newest Members
lysholmn1, LightSpeed, David Gibson, thelastgizmo, Shadmog
6386 Registered Users
Shout Box

Forum Stats
6,386 Registered Members
33 Forums
34,273 Topics
550,309 Posts

Most users ever online: 341 @ 11/02/18 10:30 PM
Today's Birthdays
Boshly
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#557162 - 01/02/19 12:29 PM Re: Shocking news - it's electric [Re: CooperMan]
sospan Offline
Charter Member

Loc: Llanelli
To me Hydrogen would seem a good route rather than pure EV.
I know that cracking water to generate it needs improving but I am a bit cynical about behind the scenes lobbying by oil/electric industry influencing political policy.
The oil industry in particular, unless they have non publicised hydrogen research and development going on.
Tesla surprise me too as they seem commited to Li battery power from conventional ( plus his solar/battery pack) sources for charging, and Elon Musk seems to be less than innovative than he claims. He must have seen Hydrogen as a possibility?

#557171 - 01/02/19 01:04 PM Re: Shocking news - it's electric [Re: CooperMan]
Jon G4LJW Offline
L - Learner Plates On

Loc: Lampeter, Wales
Hopefully, hydrogen production will become much cheaper with technology like this in development -

https://www.futurity.org/artificial-photosynthesis-hydrogen-1749492/

- this creates the gas directly from sunlight and salt water - no electricity is used.
Photos

#557187 - 01/02/19 01:41 PM Re: Shocking news - it's electric [Re: CooperMan]
CooperMan Online   content

Talk Morgan Regular

Loc: Yorkshire
I've not had to resort to this...yet, but it made me giggle

#557196 - 01/02/19 02:14 PM Re: Shocking news - it's electric [Re: Jon G4LJW]
sospan Offline
Charter Member

Originally Posted By Jon G4LJW
Hopefully, hydrogen production will become much cheaper with technology like this in development -

https://www.futurity.org/artificial-photosynthesis-hydrogen-1749492/

- this creates the gas directly from sunlight and salt water - no electricity is used.

Milford Haven used to have several oil refineries, now just one. Plusthe gas terminal for importing gas and a pipeline to the rest of the country built a few years ago.Ideal location for seawater and a history of proven distribution. Economies of scale would help too.

#557309 - 01/02/19 07:48 PM Re: Shocking news - it's electric [Re: CooperMan]
sospan Offline
Charter Member

Alistair...I was in a Kia dealer today. Had a chat about the e-Niro. It does look a good car. They are having a demo car in March. The PHEV was there in the showroom and the specs they have look decent value, albeit a higher than ICE cost.
Tempting though.

#557332 - 01/02/19 08:19 PM Re: Shocking news - it's electric [Re: CooperMan]
Clipper Offline

Talk Morgan Addict

Loc: South Yorks
Just googled it - not loving the looks - especially those horrible wheel arches.

DHA1G

#557355 - 01/02/19 09:14 PM Re: Shocking news - it's electric [Re: CooperMan]
Alistair Offline
Smile, it confuses them
Charter Member

Loc: Hampshire
As you say, not beautiful in the conventional sense however it is in the manner of most modern road SUV's. There are worse, but the overall package is good value and well made I thought.

Perhaps they are trying to look like a cross between a prada shoe and a defender to maximise the market opporchancity.

#557380 - 01/02/19 10:30 PM Re: Shocking news - it's electric [Re: CooperMan]
milligoon Offline
Talk Morgan Expert

Loc: Dorset, UK
How can a limited supply car be car of the year?

The Koreans seem to have an issue with supply either that or are treating them as compliance vehicles as they sell alongside the ICE and Hybrid versions of the same vehicle.

As for real world tests actual standards come no where near the tests TeslaBjørn carries out on youtube He likes his Tesla's obviously but performs a lot of repetitive tests on real roads in real conditions in Norway he isn't shy of expressing his opinions over whether he likes a particular car or not, but he has a reputation that allowed him early access to test the Audi E-Tron.

You have to take a lot of "youtubers" opinions with a large pinch of salt (as they tend to favour the cars that they own strangely wink) but there is a lot of useful information out there.

Interesting times in the burgoening world of eV's.

#557381 - 01/02/19 10:36 PM Re: Shocking news - it's electric [Re: CooperMan]
Alistair Offline
Smile, it confuses them
Charter Member

Loc: Hampshire
You are right Mark. I always get peed off when they say the best drivers car of the year is a Pork GT3xx-rx model. 20 RHD models will be released on our island and all are sold. So what good is that to me even if I did have £160k to spare. Perhaps we should recommend to them they split awards into two groups, cars made of unobtanium and normal ones?

#557621 - 03/02/19 11:56 AM Re: Shocking news - it's electric [Re: CooperMan]
sospan Offline
Charter Member

Most tintops I have owned have been to fill a function. Workhorses that fit child carrying, dog carrying, annual mileage etc..
The Morgan is a pure fun car.
The reason I am tempted by an EV is because swmbo is the main user and analysing the journeys puts EV in the frame. The earlier cars were either too expensive and low range . I did cost calculations and the numbers didn’t make sense. Same reasoning for switching to and away from diesel as needs changed.
Finding a car to function as shopping wagon, grandchildren carrier, dog carrier, golf gear carrier etc means a general compromise as I won’t be buying multiple cars designed to cover requirements.
I wear caps/hats and several to meet needs....rain, golf, Morgan, sunshade etc..but they are cheap enough.
I will probably give the e-Niro a test drive with swmbo in March when one arrives. Who knows...if the maths are ok I may be tempted.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Aeroman, Boshly, Simon